LG 32LG30 reviews or input? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 19 Old 04-05-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys long time lurker and I love what you all do. I was just wondering if anyone owns or plans to purchase the new lg 32LG30 lcd tv. I haven't heard too much about it (or seen any reviews or posts on the site) and was wondering how the PQ is, black levels, if it is good for gaming (which is probably what ill be using it for because of the 5ms response time if that makes a difference ) Any input would be great. Thank you very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-06-2008, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

any help at all would be appreciated guys
post #3 of 19 Old 04-09-2008, 11:09 PM

GO FOR IT!

The picture quality is beautiful . Hell, I don't even have HD cable. Just standerd def.

The only reason I got it for, is the PS3 and 360. And in terms of gameplay, I haven't encountered any problems with the response time. Even when I'm playing Call of Duty 4 or Ratchet & Clank, which have alot going on on the screen at the same time, it holds up pretty well. Everything is crystal clear.

When I hooked up the PS3 through HDMI, it detected 1080p as well. I tried it, and it does it at 60 frames per second. Don't know much about that though, so your guess is as good as mine.

The only thing I could complain about, is the remote. It feels cheap and it has a basic layout. Number pad, Menu button, Vol, Ch, etc. If you want to mess around with the picture and sound, you'll have to go through the menu system. Unlike other tv's which have preset buttons for things like that on the remote.

If you can ignore the remote--which I strongly suggest you do--, gor for it. I haven't found anything wron with it so far.
post #4 of 19 Old 05-12-2008, 06:47 PM

I completely agree with Rivas I just bought mine two days ago and so far Im in love with it!!!

Unfortunately I have yet to experience its capabilities as when I came home from purchasing this masterpeice I hooked it up and plugged in my xbox 360 using the Component cables for HD (older model of 360 doesnt have HDMI output apparently :'( ..) and instantly got the RED LIGHTS OF DEATH!!!! :@ go figure

SO that being said I have mainly only used it as a monitor for my PC which I am blown away with. I don't have a very good graphics card on my PC (128) but the picture I get at 1024x768 is AMAZING. I've been able to download a few HD sample clips off the net and watch them with wmv at 720p and its beautiful. I couldnt beleive the picture quality going through RGB and only at 720p to boot.

I HIGHLY recommend this tv I know I haven't had it long at all but as far as I've seen I am overly impressed especially with the relatively good price (well i got mine on sale but still).

So hopefully I'll get my 360 back soon and I bought a HDMI conversion kit for it so I can run HDMI and see if it's better on 1080p or 720p. I've heard that it looks better on 720p on this tv just because its native.

Oh and I completely agree about the remote I want a more modern lookin thing...
post #5 of 19 Old 06-07-2008, 11:18 PM

Hello ppl! Sorry to say that I am new to this site, and i am in SERIOUS need of HELP! PLEASE! I bought a 32LG30 from where I work, I wanted to use it as a computer monitor for when I play WoW... I cannot get the TV to display anything... It shows the loading screen of Windows XP and then where it goes to the screen you choose what account to log on to, it just says Invalid Format. PLEASE help! I am not allowed or able to return the TV since there is a contract involved with my employer... So, I REALLY want to make this thing work! ANY help is appreciated! TY!

Andy
post #6 of 19 Old 06-08-2008, 01:06 PM

Hey Andy,

I was having the same problem with mine when I first tried it. I ended up using just an S-video which doesn't quite give you the same quality. I used that until one point I was browsing through the manual and noticed something, on page 25 there is a table of the Supported Display Specs for RGB-PC and HDMI-PC. If you look at the table for the 32LG30 it tells you there that 640x350 and 720x400 are two supported resolutions for RGB.

So before you plug your RGB in to the tv use a regular monitor and change the settings but right clicking on the desktop and selecting Properties. Go to the Settings tab on the top. Go to the Scree Resolution and back it down to whatever resolution you want to use. Then unplug your RGB and plug it into your tv. You shouldnt have to restart your pc or anything.

Personally I found that 1024x768 worked for me even though it doesnt say it will and it looked amazing at this resolution. So try that it should fix your problems.

Hope this helps ya! If you find a better resolution let me know
post #7 of 19 Old 06-08-2008, 08:05 PM

Hey...the 32LG30 really have a 5 ms response time ??

because in the LG site...It say it have 8 ms
post #8 of 19 Old 06-21-2008, 10:23 PM

I just purchased this set and I'm pleased with it so far. It does have a 5ms response time, which makes for smooth XBox 360 gameplay (I haven't tried PC gaming yet). I ran into that same "Invalid Format" message and checked the resolution table that Thrash mentioned. Next to the resolutions it shows which frequency is supported. All I had to do to run it in 1024x768 was change the refresh rate from 75hz to 60hz and - presto! I'm surfing the net from my easy chair
post #9 of 19 Old 06-22-2008, 07:01 PM

how is the standar definition in the 32LG30 ????
post #10 of 19 Old 07-28-2008, 07:55 PM

1024x768? I thought a 720p should do 1360x768 on PC, right?
post #11 of 19 Old 07-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starhusker View Post

1024x768? I thought a 720p should do 1360x768 on PC, right?

1024x768 is EASY but yep, he SHOULD ALSO be able to go all the way up to 1360x768. His comment gives it away....he had his set incorrectly set to 75Hz and almost ALL monitors are set up to receive a 60Hz signal. If he keeps the 60Hz signal and also turns his resolution up to the 1360x768 (and his video card can handle it), then he SHOULD be able to see that resolution as well.

From time to time, the Gene Pool could use a little chlorine ...
post #12 of 19 Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post

1024x768 is EASY but yep, he SHOULD ALSO be able to go all the way up to 1360x768. His comment gives it away....he had his set incorrectly set to 75Hz and almost ALL monitors are set up to receive a 60Hz signal. If he keeps the 60Hz signal and also turns his resolution up to the 1360x768 (and his video card can handle it), then he SHOULD be able to see that resolution as well.

According to the review here from CNet:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-32915936.html

"PC: Via HDMI, the LG resolved every pixel of a 1,360x768 source, according to DisplayMate, and as a result text looked crisp and clean. Via RGB, on the other hand, resolution was truncated quite a bit, making text appear broken up and alternating light/ark. The fault may be in the set's aspect ratio selection, which didn't allow us to choose the "just scan" mode, which would allow perfect scaling, with an analog PC source."

I'm wondering if this is true or not. I was in Sears the other day with my laptop. The sales guy was friendly enough to let me mess around with all their HDTVs. I hooked up several of them using the VGA input. Samsung LN40A550 missed a few lines on the bottom in 1920x1080 (but the picture was super clear), Sharp LC37LC24U had a totally blur picture in 720p. Samsung LN32A450 and Toshiba 32A500U were fine. Unfortunately there were no LG models around. I guess my point is that I won't trust an HDTV (esp those low end ones) to do pixel-for-pixel mapping unless someone has tried it.
post #13 of 19 Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starhusker View Post

According to the review here from CNet:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-32915936.html

"PC: Via HDMI, the LG resolved every pixel of a 1,360x768 source, according to DisplayMate, and as a result text looked crisp and clean. Via RGB, on the other hand, resolution was truncated quite a bit, making text appear broken up and alternating light/ark. The fault may be in the set's aspect ratio selection, which didn't allow us to choose the "just scan" mode, which would allow perfect scaling, with an analog PC source."

I'm wondering if this is true or not. I was in Sears the other day with my laptop. The sales guy was friendly enough to let me mess around with all their HDTVs. I hooked up several of them using the VGA input. Samsung LN40A550 missed a few lines on the bottom in 1920x1080 (but the picture was super clear), Sharp LC37LC24U had a totally blur picture in 720p. Samsung LN32A450 and Toshiba 32A500U were fine. Unfortunately there were no LG models around. I guess my point is that I won't trust an HDTV (esp those low end ones) to do pixel-for-pixel mapping unless someone has tried it.

Well, I currently have one of the 37LG50's and it DOES resolve 1920x1080 PERFECTLY via the VGA port (whereas others like the Samsung truncate it to 1600x1200 (of something similar). In fact, that is why I selected this particular model. Now, the objects of this thread (the 30 series) are NOT 1080p monitors. However, I still post in this thread because I also owned a 32LG30 model as well. In fact, I gave it to my mother-in-law and can still go over there (about 3 miles away) and run any test if I needed to. However, in the time I did have it (about 2 weeks), I was able to confirm that it CAN do 1360x768 PERFECTLY with no lines lost.

However, you should also be aware that others have had some of the issues quoted in that review on the 42-inch versions of these sets so it seems entirely possible that LG may be using different hardware in those models.

PS - The picture clarity on these LG models is EXCEPTIONAL and the ability to also be able to be tuned to ANYTHING via on screen tools is also BEYOND ANY other manufacturer's in this size of the product lines (under 42-inches)

From time to time, the Gene Pool could use a little chlorine ...
post #14 of 19 Old 11-26-2008, 08:47 PM

Hey guys, my boss gave me his TV from the office cause he bought a bigger one so I brought it home and am using it as a second monitor to put movies using VLS on in my home office. here is the problem that I am having. I am running it from a DVI output on my video card and then I use a DVI-HDMI cable to the LG. I am running a resolution of 1360X768 and it looks really really nice. Everything is in proportion and cripsy. When I lock my computer and leave for a while, overnight whatever I come back and it won't restore the video, it gets fuzzy and jittery like it's trying to send a video signal but then just craps out. I have to disable the monitor in display properties and then re-enable it to get it to work. any ideas on what I might try to get it to work all the time?

thanks in advance
post #15 of 19 Old 11-30-2008, 01:38 PM

t3nd3r, I'm running the same connections to my 32LG30 as a pc monitor via DVI-HDMI. I do agree that it looks real good...better compared to the pc/rgb route. Funny, mine never gets any display issues, even after my Dell goes to sleep mode (ditto for the LG screen) for extended periods of time.

My suggestion is to update your video card/display drivers on your pc. I did mine days before taking delivery...my humble 128mb garden variety ATI Radeon X1300 works best on ATI Catalyst 8.10 (recently downgraded from the newer but troublesome/notorious 8.11 driver...waiting patiently for the reportedly better 8.12 come mid-Dec '08).

Now I wonder if some of you guys out there has any good/preferable calibration settings for the LG as a pc monitor...for comparison, mine currently runs in Expert1 (Backlight=60, Contrast=80, Brightness=45, Sharpness=50, Color=45 and Tint=middle).
post #16 of 19 Old 12-29-2009, 02:47 PM

I have been using my 360 with Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 2 for the past 3-4 days, but my consol for over 2 months on my LG 42" LCD 1080P. However, during my game, my color schemes went to ****, so I reset my consol. Now, the only thing I get is " invalid Format" on my screen. Any thoughts? I was using the standard cables that it came with, but immediately switched to HDPB Monster cables, same result. Now, my system doesn't work on any tv in my house. Any advice would be appreciated.

P.S. and of course my warranty ran out litteraly last mont to the date!
post #17 of 19 Old 12-29-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftsided View Post

I have been using my 360 with Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 2 for the past 3-4 days, but my consol for over 2 months on my LG 42" LCD 1080P. However, during my game, my color schemes went to ****, so I reset my consol. Now, the only thing I get is " invalid Format" on my screen. Any thoughts? I was using the standard cables that it came with, but immediately switched to HDPB Monster cables, same result. Now, my system doesn't work on any tv in my house. Any advice would be appreciated.

P.S. and of course my warranty ran out litteraly last mont to the date!

You did this?
http://cocaman.ch/wp/2006/12/reset-xbox360-resolution/
post #18 of 19 Old 12-29-2009, 03:31 PM

Yep, I called Microsoft as well and this is all they could tell me. I did it with both my Monster cable and my standard cable but with no success. I even tried changing my output on my TV, nothing!
post #19 of 19 Unread Today, 06:39 PM

Liked: 0
Hi, I own the 32LG30 and have always loved this TV. My problem is I recently bought my first Blu Ray player (a Panasonic DMP-BDT225) and after hooking it up with a new HDMI cable directly to the TV, the TV just displays "Invalid Format" across the screen with a great deal of crackling noises. I tried the cable in different HDMI ports on the TV with the same results. I have been trying to find answers to this online, but no one has mentioned hearing crackling noises (a bit scary) or what you are supposed to do if you can't even get to a menu on the Blu Ray player because you can't see anything but "Invalid Format" on the TV screen. HDMI is the only port on this player for hook-up to a TV. Are the crackling noises an indication that that the HDMI cable or possibly the new Blu Ray player are defective? Please help if you can, I am ready to take the bridge.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page