LNxxA650 Owners: Do you have clouding/flashlighting? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do you have clouding or flashlighting on your LNxxA650?
LN40A650: Yes I do. 0 0%
LN40A650: No I do not. 0 0%
LN46A650: Yes I do. 0 0%
LN46A650: No I do not. 0 0%
LN52A650: Yes I do. 1 100.00%
LN52A650: No I do not. 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-11-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LNxxA650 Owners, thank you for being brave and helping all of us decide on this TV from the front lines.

If you would, please vote on the poll if you have clouding or flashlighting in your panel and reply here what size you own. That way we can build some info on what sizes and how many people get problems. That will help some of us (me) possibly roll the dice with a Big River buy.

Thanks guys!

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2008, 03:00 PM

I have flashlighting most noticeably in the top right corner. No clouding. 52" 650.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

I have some very minor flashlighting in the lower left corner, no clouding.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:34 PM

You really should have qualified it by
"little to no (acceptable)"
and
"significant (unacceptable)"

The "no" response is just too absolute and unrealistic.
LCDs will always have at least a little light bleed through. The question is, what is acceptable, which is often a personal judgement call. It may be that a middle option like "borderline" would help get an better understanding of the true situation with these TVs.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:49 PM

Yeah, I would say I have boarderline clouding on my 52". No dead pixel, no flash lights. If it doesn't improve in the next few days, it goes back.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Here is a few tips I got from back from the Official XBR2/3 clouding thread 8 months ago:

Unscrew the screws slightly on the back of the panel like in the pic to relieve some of the pressure that MIGHT be causing some of the flashlights in the corners of the TV.

Also taping a small fan made for PC's that you can get at any store on the back of the vents like in the picture & having it turned on, will reduce some clouding!
In fact this was the absolutle best way to get rid of clouding out of all the solutions from the 8,000+ post XBR2/3 Clouding thread.
Apparently heat is one of the causes for clouding.

Just to clarify, none of those things will make all the clouding/flashlights 100% go away, it will just reduce it.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

That looks.....so ghetto.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 40
oh one other thing, I got this pic from someone who posted his Sony S2000 LCD or something about a year ago:

It shows that clouding kinda reduces & moves around over times.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:48 PM
KDH

Liked: 13
you need to run the set at least 50 hrs, TURN on Auto for the power saver.
This lets the backlight give you the best of both worlds bright and black. You will never even see it do it.
Its like having the backlight at 10 on a bright pix and 0 on a dark one automaticaly.
The back light rides the video level in a perfect way that you never see.
This would give a real 50000 to 1 contrast I guess. But turning down the back light does the same thing but kills the brightness.Lets say there is one word on the screen like max. In auto mode the screen will be almost completle dark. It has to be total darkness in the room to see any light at all other than the word max, and that is almost non exesint. Darker that anything I have ever seen in the flat world,,,sorry plasma you have been done in,in the black area. well at least the panny plasma I had for a while.even in parical dark pixs it works very well.

Out of 3 sets and none had any issue after 50 hrs.
All had a little of clouding and flashlight when 0 hrs.
Another thing when you run a 4x3 pix the flashlight will be worse than if you have been using 16x9 because the pixels are working in that area. In 4x3 they are off. But after some hrs they are gone.

YOU will just not find a better pannel out there, except well maybe the new sony.,,,,,,,,, as the xbr4,s I just wonder what in the world sony was thinking on backlight control.
Blacks are much better on the samsung, And sharp man the backlight is all over the place and very noticable.
jmho
Old 04-11-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post

I have some very minor flashlighting in the lower left corner, no clouding.

Same thing here.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So far from this poll the 46 looks less cloudy/flashy overall.

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
Old 04-12-2008, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
LN40A650. Have flashlighting in all four corners, most noticeable in the top left one (where the sticker was covering). I was thinking of exchanging it but I'm probably just going to keep this set, I am too busy this month.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What settings (backlight, brightness, input, method for getting a blank screen, etc) do you use for testing of clouding and flashlighting?
I think it would be a good idea for everyone to test the same way as results would otherwise vary a lot. Say one guy test with a backlight of 10 and brightness 60% and another is at a backlight of 5 and brightness at 40%.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:42 AM

No signal in a dark room will allow you to see any defects. During normal viewing this will cause lower contrast in the image around the clouding.

I was playing with my black lighting under those conditions and it really didn't make a difference in the clouding, just make the over all screen increase in brightness, the clouding increased at the same rate.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, the 46 seems to be the way to go as far as clouds and flashlights. I'm REALLY stressing over going 46 from the 50 I have now. Up good, down bad!
my amazon cart has been open for DAYS.

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
Old 04-15-2008, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The bullet got bit and I ordered a 46 inch from Big River. I'll soon be able to vote on my own poll. lol

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:44 PM

I was really impressed with the LN40A650 until the night came.

I was testing my new LCD with a Blu Ray movie and during night scenes or dark scenes this annoying halo lit up in the top right corner. I own a Samsung 4061f as well and i never had this problem before.

I called Ken Crane in L.A and they're bringing a new T.V tomorrow morning. I really hope this is not a common problem and that i have to stick with these flashlights / clouds in there.

I've attached a picture to show the issue. I will report on the new panel as soon as i get it.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvguitar View Post

I was really impressed with the LN40A650 until the night came.

I was testing my new LCD with a Blu Ray movie and during night scenes or dark scenes this annoying halo lit up in the top right corner. I own a Samsung 4061f as well and i never had this problem before.

I called Ken Crane in L.A and they're bringing a new T.V tomorrow morning. I really hope this is not a common problem and that i have to stick with these flashlights / clouds in there.

I've attached a picture to show the issue. I will report on the new panel as soon as i get it.

How's the new tv?

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:15 PM

Ok. The night has come and i present you my second LN40A650 set.

The clouds of hell are everywhere. i even have a flashlight in the top left corner.

The new photo was taken with an iPhone with the LCD on "Movie" setting with all the PQ enhancers off like Dynamic Contrast and Edge Enhancement etc.. i boosted the Backlight to 7 so the camera could capture an image.

If i put the Dynamic Contrast at LOW, it helps a lot but i still see clouds and my new flashlight.

This is a real bummer and i don't really know what to do. I don't think i should be paying that much money and have to deal with these issues. I might just have to give up on this 650 series... Should i wait 5 days like user Metal83 to see if the clouds / flashlight disappear? Apparently it worked for him.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It could not hurt. I say wait five days and report back on it. Your findings could REALLY help others.

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
Old 04-18-2008, 02:05 PM

i have clouding with a 46p , it s not cool :s

its normal? can i change my tv ?

i send a picture after
Old 04-22-2008, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well due to an order error my 46 order didn't go through. Now with the 52 so low I'm tempted to test fate. Argh! Has anyone here had the clouds and flashlights lessen or go away since you reported them?

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:35 PM

I had a LN40A650 and returned it to BB. The set had two very prominent spotlights in both top corners and bad clouding in the center. They were clearly visible even when watching a movie. BB thought it was normal, but still let me return it. I hope to be able to buy a set with no such issues down the line.

Please keep your reports coming.

SCS_13
Old 04-22-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

Apparently heat is one of the causes for clouding.

hm this makes sense, on my sony laptop it has a glossy screen, the heat vents from the back and will go up the screen causing a streak of mura/cloud where the heat touches
Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn View Post

Well due to an order error my 46 order didn't go through. Now with the 52 so low I'm tempted to test fate. Argh! Has anyone here had the clouds and flashlights lessen or go away since you reported them?

Yes, i had clouding down the right side of my 650, it has gone away 100% now. And the flashlights i had in the top corners are practically invisible, before i couldnt help but notice them. Now i have trouble seeing them even if i look for them. So it definetly is possible for these issues to go away over time. All tho of course not everyone will be so lucky.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

Yes, i had clouding down the right side of my 650, it has gone away 100% now. And the flashlights i had in the top corners are practically invisible, before i couldnt help but notice them. Now i have trouble seeing them even if i look for them. So it definetly is possible for these issues to go away over time. All tho of course not everyone will be so lucky.

How long did it take? I'm going on a week and a half well over 60 hours and still have flashlighting.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

Were you watching or running any special content to achieve this? I have a plasma break in disc. Perhaps forcing the colors as that disc does would help?

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:56 AM

I have two spotlights on the left and right top corners. It is very noticeable - somewhat when the room isn't even totally dark. It's a 52" a650. I have had it for over a week now, so far they haven't faded at all.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes I do also, they are in the right upper and right lower corners. I have heard of people loosing the screws on the back of there sets to resolve this, any comments and I believe they were Sony sets I read about.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Most LCDs are going to have a little bit of mura (clouding) on them. As the black gets deeper it will be easier to notice until they go LED across the board. My 52A650 has some light mura and flashlights in the top corners. With that said I only see it in a completely dark room with a completely black screen which isn't a deal breaker for me.

75X850C l 65B6P l P55-C1 l SB4551-D5 l XB1 S l PS4 Pro l LIVE:BPMURR l PSN:BPMURR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement