post #271 of 3237 Old 05-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

chef jer, i checked the 1499 post and its obviously from the older sammy tv model but i have 1 question, the old model had color control of pink/green/blue i belive and in the 1499 post he explains what to tweak the pink/green and blue but on our new a550 series theres no specific color control for pink green and blue ,so how exactly are you using the 1499 settings on the a550?

I applied all the settings except for the "my color control settings". Even though these are for last years models they look best to my eyes, right now. My opinion may change in a few days. To me cripsy settings are nice but on my set i get some green tint and off white. Anything using dynamic just blows everything out too much for my liking.

Its nice to be spending my time tweaking this set as i am still just as amazed as i was the first day i brought it home. It nice to be trying to get that perfect setting vs staring at the bands i had on my sharp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3237 Old 05-02-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nthstar View Post

what was wrong with your set? bad skin tones?

Yes, real red skin tones and no matter what you did to try and fix it,it wouldnt work.
I would end up loosing all the red color every where else thus, killing the color in the set
it also had real washed out whites (over-exposer) So every time these guys would give
there set up figures on here, mine weren't even close.
I explained to Samsung what was wrong and they set me up with a service call and came over here with the parts to fix it.They must have known what the problem was because they had the parts with them and they nailed the fix.
I had the opportunity to see the inside of the tv and it was amazing to see what few
parts were in there to make it work.Basically 3 boards and a panel. Nthstar

hm would you say the colors on the screen sometimes looked grey like a black and white film?
post #273 of 3237 Old 05-02-2008, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Can anyone explain what dynamic contrast does? What is the benefit of having it on high, low or off? Because just out of curiosity it almost seems that high produces the best looking pic.
post #274 of 3237 Old 05-03-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:

chef jer, i checked the 1499 post and its obviously from the older sammy tv model but i have 1 question, the old model had color control of pink/green/blue i belive and in the 1499 post he explains what to tweak the pink/green and blue but on our new a550 series theres no specific color control for pink green and blue ,so how exactly are you using the 1499 settings on the a550?

im using the 1499 setting for my 5265 and i try to use it on my 40a550. the picture and color are not the same.
post #275 of 3237 Old 05-03-2008, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc817 View Post

im using the 1499 setting for my 5265 and i try to use it on my 40a550. the picture and color are not the same.

I would even go as far as to not recommend the 1499 settings to anyone with the LNXXA550 model TV. It is not the same TV and the settings make my TV look "odd".

I would recommend anyone using cripsy's settings as they were calibrated for this specific set. The 1499 post was not and is not a good setting for these TV's the colors and picture is not as good as cripsy's settings or even some of the settings already posted in this thread. You can also check out my slightly modified cripsy's settings. I think most of those are all better than 1499.
post #276 of 3237 Old 05-03-2008, 08:14 AM

I have to amend my earlier statement about not liking cripsy's settings. I've been using them for a week now and have to say they're damn good. Not sure why I didn't at first -- it's possible I didn't remember what mode I plugged the settings into and was looking at the wrong one.
post #277 of 3237 Old 05-03-2008, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter77 View Post

I have to amend my earlier statement about not liking cripsy's settings. I've been using them for a week now and have to say they're damn good. Not sure why I didn't at first -- it's possible I didn't remember what mode I plugged the settings into and was looking at the wrong one.

I would agree, I have been using my modified cripsy settings for over a week and they are fantastic! Best settings on this thread.
post #278 of 3237 Old 05-03-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

I would agree, I have been using my modified cripsy settings for over a week and they are fantastic! Best settings on this thread.

+1
I did a few white balance adjustments but cripsy's settings are an excellent starting point.
post #279 of 3237 Old 05-03-2008, 01:58 PM

I'm also throwing my hat in with cripsy's settings, didn't like them initially but I went back and stuck with them and they've grown on me. I made a few changes, as have most, but they are a great base that I'd recommend slight tinkering with!
post #280 of 3237 Old 05-03-2008, 04:14 PM

removed due to posting in wrong thread
post #281 of 3237 Old 05-03-2008, 07:12 PM

What about the game mode? None of you are using it? I just got my tv and I tried the game mode with my xbox 360 and it looks alright.
post #282 of 3237 Old 05-03-2008, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira_ View Post

What about the game mode? None of you are using it? I just got my tv and I tried the game mode with my xbox 360 and it looks alright.

Try the xbox 360 settings I posted on the previous page. The game mode is way to bright...at least in my opinion.
post #283 of 3237 Old 05-03-2008, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If your getting blurring when panning around turn your 360 back to 720p a few people are also having the problem(they say its the fact that the game is being upscaled to 1080p(?)) and for me at least it seems to minimize it.

I'll give your settings another go Outsiderwv.

edit: out I used your settings, they're nice I turned off edge enhancement though, thats about it.
My 360 is on 720p now with Expanded(Extended?) ref level.
post #284 of 3237 Old 05-03-2008, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

outsiderwv, i mean i dont know how u guys say the darker settings are better looking, such as crispy's i mean its so much less brighter and less eye poping, how would you define whats better with these settings than Thebegining's for example? i want to see your point of view here because maybe i just dont understand what the picture is supposed to look like , basically , other than the fact that you say the dynamic mode with the begining's settings look too bright and overblown, what are the advanteges of your modified settings of crispy's settings? tommoorw ill give your crispy's modified settings another role, but please explain, what is less better in the Dynamic mode other being too bright, am i loosing black level etc with the Dynamic mode?\\

cheers
post #285 of 3237 Old 05-03-2008, 11:06 PM

So who has update settings? Post em

Plus im still running into issues being able to mess with HDMI black level. Still greyed out all the time
post #286 of 3237 Old 05-04-2008, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Would the 550 settings work on the 52" 530? I could not locate a 52" 530 calibration thread. THX!
post #287 of 3237 Old 05-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

outsiderwv, i mean i dont know how u guys say the darker settings are better looking, such as crispy's i mean its so much less brighter and less eye poping, how would you define whats better with these settings than Thebegining's for example? i want to see your point of view here because maybe i just dont understand what the picture is supposed to look like , basically , other than the fact that you say the dynamic mode with the begining's settings look too bright and overblown, what are the advanteges of your modified settings of crispy's settings? tommoorw ill give your crispy's modified settings another role, but please explain, what is less better in the Dynamic mode other being too bright, am i loosing black level etc with the Dynamic mode?\\

cheers

There picture isn't supposed to be "eye popping." When you go to the movies, do you get the "eye popping" effect? Again, thats why I mentioned that folks that get a TV professionally done are often left feeling disappointed at first. When the TV is displaying the best picture possible, it isn't "eye popping." Thats not what real life looks like. But, no matter what, what you like is all that matters. I submit that folks should spend less time worrying about their settings and enjoying the picture when they get one they like.

Justin
post #288 of 3237 Old 05-04-2008, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI05 View Post

There picture isn't supposed to be "eye popping." When you go to the movies, do you get the "eye popping" effect? Again, thats why I mentioned that folks that get a TV professionally done are often left feeling disappointed at first. When the TV is displaying the best picture possible, it isn't "eye popping." Thats not what real life looks like. But, no matter what, what you like is all that matters. I submit that folks should spend less time worrying about their settings and enjoying the picture when they get one they like.

Justin

Exactly what Justin said. They try to get customers used to the oversaturated and bright images that they show at the store. This is not how the image is supposed to look like. Colors are way oversaturated and look unrealistic and the image is just way to bright because of image processing done over the original image. Cripsy's and my settings are done to look like what the image is supposed to look like and how it was intended to be seen. It takes some time getting used to it, but once you do, you can never go back to the over saturated images.

But again, it is your personally preference. Just watch whatever you enjoy. I can tell you one thing that will help with the image quality that is a small sacrifice. On my modified cripsy's settings, turn dynamic contrast ratio on to high. This will give the image a bit more pop, but keep the color schemes and everything right on track. This may be a good tradeoff for you....try it and let me know what you think.

I will post the setting here for you. These are the settings I am currently using and are fantastic and produce a great image the way it is supposed to look

Here are the "slightly" modified settings that I am using based off of cripsy's post.

Movie Mode

Backlight = 5 (7 for brighter picture)
Contrast = 88
Brightness = 50
Sharpness = 20
Color = 60
Tint = G55/R45

DETAILED SETTINGS

Black Adjust = Low
Dynamic Contrast = Off (High for picture that is somewhat more vibrant with more "POP")
Gamma = +1
Color Space = Auto
Flesh Tone = 0
Edge Enhancement = Off
Xycc = Off

WHITE BALANCE

R-Offset = 23
G-Offset = 28
B-Offset = 17
R-Gain = 31
G-Gain = 24
B-Gain = 37

PICTURE OPTIONS

Color Tone = Warm 1
Size = Just Scan (I use 16:9 for most TV watching, Just Scan for games and Blue-Ray/DVD)
Digital N/R = Off
DNIE = Off Greyed out
HDMI Black Level = Normal on DVR through Component, I use Low if using a HDMI connection.
Film Mode = Auto
Blue Mode = Off

Energy Saving = Low (Off for brighter picture)

Outty
post #289 of 3237 Old 05-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Justin -- What settings are using?
post #290 of 3237 Old 05-04-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef jer View Post

Dave i'm not sure what it does but i have it on. I am using the 1499 standard settings for the ps3 it looks pretty good. Here are a few night time gta picks ill post some daytime picks later (nighttime in game not when playing)

chef jer from what is seen by the pictures those shadows should the darker in black tones..they're kind of blue
post #291 of 3237 Old 05-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TcoUpload View Post

chef jer from what is seen by the pictures those shadows should the darker in black tones..they're kind of blue

I think it is more a result of the camera I am using than the tv.
post #292 of 3237 Old 05-04-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

outsider and justin, thanks for the explanation, im going to give your settings another shot, outsider. the latest one that you just posted, and i will try to get used to it and use it for a while now, 1 question, Edge enhancment should be off yea?
post #293 of 3237 Old 05-04-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

outsider i just tried your settings and im trying to get used to the settings, however , i bumped the backlight to 7 and Dynamic Contrast to high, other than these 2 everything is like ur settings, is it ok that i put Dynamic Contrast to high and backlight to 7 or that destroys the natural picture look that im trying to achieve with your settinsg? so far the picture looks good on the 360. btw EDGE ENHANCMENT should be OFF?
post #294 of 3237 Old 05-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeginning View Post

So who has update settings? Post em

Plus im still running into issues being able to mess with HDMI black level. Still greyed out all the time

Rename the source, I think mine is set either to "game" or "PC"... some of the names disable certain features and unlock or disable some unknown hidden and undocumented processing.
post #295 of 3237 Old 05-04-2008, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

outsider i just tried your settings and im trying to get used to the settings, however , i bumped the backlight to 7 and Dynamic Contrast to high, other than these 2 everything is like ur settings, is it ok that i put Dynamic Contrast to high and backlight to 7 or that destroys the natural picture look that im trying to achieve with your settinsg? so far the picture looks good on the 360. btw EDGE ENHANCMENT should be OFF?

No, it doesn't destry the natural picture. It just turns the dynamic contrast ratio to high and the backlight up. It doesn't affect the natural picture that much. You can do a quick search for what dynamic contrast ratio does...but it pretty much does as it says...it is dynamic based upon the image on the screen. The color tones, contrast, brightness and etc will all be the same and the natural colors and such are preserved. Those settings you turned on or "up" just add a little more "pop". Also I have edge enhancement set to off.

Outty
post #296 of 3237 Old 05-04-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

ok, 1 thing , why should i have edge enhancment on? and why u dont have it enabled? its not good to be on? i dont know so thats why i ask , and i cant see a diff with it on or off
post #297 of 3237 Old 05-04-2008, 11:00 AM

Heres my new settings, tweaked a bit from others.

STANDARD
Backlight = 5,6
Contrast = 87
Brightness = 47
Sharpness = 20
Color = 53
Tint = G55/R45

DETAILED SETTINGS

Black Adjust = Low
Dynamic Contrast = High
Gamma = 0
Color Space = Auto
Flesh Tone = 0
Edge Enhancement = On
Xycc = Off

WHITE BALANCE

R-Offset = 23
G-Offset = 28
B-Offset = 17
R-Gain = 31
G-Gain = 24
B-Gain = 37

PICTURE OPTIONS

Color Tone = Normal
Size = Just Scan (I use 16:9 for most TV watching, Just Scan for games and HD-DVD/DVD)
Digital N/R = Off
DNIE = Off Greyed out
HDMI Black Level = (Works on HDMI only) Not component like outsider said
Film Mode = Auto
Blue Mode = Off

I use this on all my equipment. HD-DVD (HDMI), Directv HR21 (HDMI), Xbox 360 (Component)

Honestly it seems to look very natural, and I'm kinda liking it alot more then Dynamic settings I posted. One thing I miss with DNIe was how much more detail it gave.
post #298 of 3237 Old 05-04-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

nice settings thebegining, i too i think that now when i switch to the DYNAMIC mode with the settings we came up with, it does look well over saturated, it does look GOOD! but when i switch back to this movie setting i think its more of the way the picture is supposed to look,

Outsider, what do u think about thebegining's settings? which ones are better , yours latets posted settings or thebegining's latest posted settings? i tried both, hard to tell yet whos looks better, but im loving the black level now MUCH MUCH MUCH better with the movie setting, on dynamic blacks werent AS black as now, i think i made a neat change today switching to the movie mode. lets keep this discussion up until we find the ultimate movie setting guys and i dont think we are far from there either. its basically between thebgegining's latest movie settings and outsider's latest posted movie settings.

cheers
post #299 of 3237 Old 05-04-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:

nice settings thebegining, i too i think that now when i switch to the DYNAMIC mode with the settings we came up with, it does look well over saturated, it does look GOOD! but when i switch back to this movie setting i think its more of the way the picture is supposed to look,

Outsider, what do u think about thebegining's settings? which ones are better , yours latets posted settings or thebegining's latest posted settings? i tried both, hard to tell yet whos looks better, but im loving the black level now MUCH MUCH MUCH better with the movie setting, on dynamic blacks werent AS black as now, i think i made a neat change today switching to the movie mode. lets keep this discussion up until we find the ultimate movie setting guys and i dont think we are far from there either. its basically between thebgegining's latest movie settings and outsider's latest posted movie settings.

cheers

Try it under standard thats what mines on. Honestly I like these settings better then my last. Like I said more natural, and whites are white, and blacks are black and don't smear.
post #300 of 3237 Old 05-04-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

oh the begining i thought u had it on movie, cuz u didnt mentioned so i just figured, ok man im going to try on standard right now, and again u are right , blacks are blacks and whites are whites on this settings, btw you dont like the WARM1 setting right? u like the normal one better? colors look more natural to you with NORMAL?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page