Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3237 Old 05-12-2010, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After I gave my LE37B550 back, I have a LE37B579 now with a new color tone option called "Warm3" and there is no "Cool2" anymore to select.

LE37A550 vs. LE37B579

Cool2 -> Cool1
Cool1 -> Normal
Normal -> Warm1
Warm1 -> Warm2
Warm2 -> Warm3

I still use jcalabria's settings ... also for the new TV and they fit very very good.
But now my question. Is Warm3 of the new TV the same like Warm2 of the old TV for example or is this option completely new with another color tone?

I hope my english is ok ...

Greets Tim from Germany
post #3153 of 3237 Old 05-14-2010, 01:07 PM

Hello I have a LN32A550 with firmware v1007.1

I am using it as a PC monitor, my PC is hooked up via HDMI to HDMI 2/DVI on the back of the set. i have chosenen to name the connection to PC, but I noticed when I try to calibrate to the suggested settings in the OP that many of the options are grayed out. Should I name it simply as TV and thus have access to all of the settings options so I can accurately calibrate to the suggested settings? Or Leave it as PC?

If I leave it as PC and this cannot adjust certain settings is there a suggested calibration for this?

Thanks in advance!

*EDIT*

Also do the settings apply across the board for all devices connected or does each source have its own settings? Just wondering because I also have a PS3 connected to HDMI 1
post #3154 of 3237 Old 05-14-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewishornet View Post

Hello I have a LN32A550 with firmware v1007.1

I am using it as a PC monitor, my PC is hooked up via HDMI to HDMI 2/DVI on the back of the set. i have chosenen to name the connection to PC, but I noticed when I try to calibrate to the suggested settings in the OP that many of the options are grayed out. Should I name it simply as TV and thus have access to all of the settings options so I can accurately calibrate to the suggested settings? Or Leave it as PC?

If I leave it as PC and this cannot adjust certain settings is there a suggested calibration for this?

Thanks in advance!

*EDIT*

Also do the settings apply across the board for all devices connected or does each source have its own settings? Just wondering because I also have a PS3 connected to HDMI 1

It is quite normal for settings to be grayed out when inputting an RGB signal... any settings related to color decoding (color/tint) are irrelevant for an RGB signal... thye are settings for the decoder that converts encoded video sources (component/S-Video/composite) into RGB. Since an RGB source is already, well, RGB... the color decoder settings are irrelevant ("real" computer monitors do not have these settings, either). Also, the HDMI Black Level setting may be grayed out if the TV knows that the PC input is using PC grayscale levels.

Each input has its own unique settings.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #3155 of 3237 Old 05-14-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

It is quite normal for settings to be grayed out when inputting an RGB signal... any settings related to color decoding (color/tint) are irrelevant for an RGB signal... the are settings for the decoder that converts encoded video sources (component/S-Video/composite) into RGB. Since an RGB source is already, well, RGB... the color decoder and associated settings are irrelevant ("real" computer monitors do not have these settings, either). Also, the HDMI Black Level setting may be grayed out if the TV knows that the PC input is using PC grayscale levels.

Each input has its own unique settings.

Thank you very much for your help!

That cleared everything up
post #3156 of 3237 Old 05-19-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psx2514 View Post

Also, why is it bad to use calibration for movies on games?

The settings people use for Movies are calibrated for YCC which has 16 (or is it 15?) as black vs RGB Full which has 0 (or is it 1?) as black. Furthermore most people go on-step further and remove detail at the high end (white) of the spectrum to increase the contrast ratio of the signals at the low end (black) of the spectrum. Which works okay for movies because most people prefer to see the different shades of gray in the dark scene not blended into black but for games it just makes everything look too dark overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw333 View Post

Does anyone have any tips in regards to setting Gamma, keeping in mind that I only have my eyes and the DVE BD? Obviously I don't have the equipment to adjust the primaries or grayscale, so for now I've got Color on Auto and White Blance at default.

I calibrated my TV using the PS3 with this website; It's got a gamma test on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewishornet View Post

I find that the YUV/YCbCr settings apply across the board (HDMI-Component). But the PC mode settings are only good for PC mode. Interestingly enough PC-mode will accept ether YUV or RGB.

As for the PS3, make sure you set it to RGB Full (PS3) and HDMI Black Level (TV) to Normal. Even better is if you hook up the PS3 into HDMI 2 labeled as PC. (samething applies to 360 but with expanded vs. full)
post #3157 of 3237 Old 05-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

I had my Sammy LN40A550 for 2 years as of this month. While viewing it lately, I feel like I'm seeing more motion blurriness then I have seen before. The 550 is connected via HDMI to my Dish 722k DVR. Is it possible for the 550 to be having more motion blurriness as it get older?(remember, it's only 2 years old) Or would it seem more likely that it's my provider Dish? I have just recently had to have my dish move to the roof of my house???

I'm just wondering...because I've never felt that motion blur was ever a problem with my 550...always was very sharp picture to me.

Thanks for any replies,
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #3158 of 3237 Old 06-15-2010, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Has everyone else given up on this thread too?
Ghpr13

I see dead pixels!
post #3159 of 3237 Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

Has everyone else given up on this thread too?
Ghpr13

Well my TV is about 2 years old and I haven't noticed anything like that. Try using another source.
post #3160 of 3237 Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Brown View Post

Well my TV is about 2 years old and I haven't noticed anything like that. Try using another source.

Thank you for your input.
Ghpr13

I see dead pixels!
post #3161 of 3237 Old 06-27-2010, 09:56 AM

I've already scoured this display and chosen certain settings for some of my inputs (PS3, 360, Wii), but now I need one for my cable. There is no HD box, it's just a coax cable from the wall to my TV, getting basic cable (73 channels) and a handful of HD channels (5, at the most, including ABC and CBS).

What settings should I use?
post #3162 of 3237 Old 06-27-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronomac View Post

I've already scoured this display and chosen certain settings for some of my inputs (PS3, 360, Wii), but now I need one for my cable. There is no HD box, it's just a coax cable from the wall to my TV, getting basic cable (73 channels) and a handful of HD channels (5, at the most, including ABC and CBS).

What settings should I use?

Try some of the settings on the first page (all of those settings use HDMI but give it a try.) I'm not sure all of the settings are available for coax.
post #3163 of 3237 Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM

What's the story these days? Should the PS3 use Full Range (HDMI) full or limited with our set? And if we use it, should it be for BD and games or just games?

I keep hearing mixed stories, although the Cliq setting's I'm using says Limited if I remember correctly and then the other Yy/etc settings for BLu-Rays.
post #3164 of 3237 Old 07-16-2010, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryvBy View Post

What's the story these days? Should the PS3 use Full Range (HDMI) full or limited with our set? And if we use it, should it be for BD and games or just games?

I keep hearing mixed stories, although the Cliq setting's I'm using says Limited if I remember correctly and then the other Yy/etc settings for BLu-Rays.

It shouldn't matter to the TV as long as the HDMI Black level setting on the TV is set to match. As to which (if either) works better within the PS3 itself, that's probably a better question for the PS3 folks.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #3165 of 3237 Old 07-18-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryvBy View Post

I used to have the same question. I have the LN37A550 and a PS3 set to RGB Full and the black level on the TV set to Normal.

The reason being is that I read elsewhere that the Playstation 3's XMB (XrossMenuBar) or GUI is RGB and so are some of the games.

But I've also read that Blu-Ray's are Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr so if you set the option on the PS3 under "Video Settings" called "BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI)" to "Automatic" when a Blu-Ray movie plays the PS3 will switch to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr automatically and then go back to RGB when the movie is not playing.

That's my limited understanding at least, and it works well for me
post #3166 of 3237 Old 08-02-2010, 02:13 PM

I have a question concerning my LN40A550.
I noticed on the faces of people that there is a slight red or pinkish (tint) shine, sort of artificial look to it, not on the whole face just on spots of the face like the cheeks and forehead.
You mainly would see this when the channel is broadcast in 720(p/i) or less (but not on every channel).
This would lead me to believe that it is the signal.
I couldn't tell if it is on a channel broadcast in 1080i, if it is it is not very noticeable.
Is it the signal or is something starting to go wrong with my set?
post #3167 of 3237 Old 08-02-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbdc1 View Post

I have a question concerning my LN40A550.
I noticed on the faces of people that there is a slight red or pinkish (tint) shine, sort of artificial look to it, not on the whole face just on spots of the face like the cheeks and forehead.
You mainly would see this when the channel is broadcast in 720(p/i) or less (but not on every channel).
This would lead me to believe that it is the signal.
I couldn't tell if it is on a channel broadcast in 1080i, if it is it is not very noticeable.
Is it the signal or is something starting to go wrong with my set?

I have Cablevision and I have also noticed this on some channels. I see the tint exactly where you have described it, my wife says it looks like a bad application of blush makeup. I have seen this on both my Samsung A550 and my Sony V4100 as well. So, I would say it's signal related and not your set.

However, regarding the A550, there is an issue that caused what Samsung described as an intermittent red blur. You may or may not know that they released firmware to address it. But again, from your description, it certainly seems like a signal issue.

Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

post #3168 of 3237 Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the quick respond.
It is much appreciated
This just started or I just started noticing it because it's now getting worst.
I have satellite (DIRECTV) and had it for about a year and never noticed it before
This is why I was wondering.
I was watching TV last on a change broadcast in 720(I or p I didn't check) and didn't notices it.
I agree with you I believe it is the signal issue.
Thanks.
post #3169 of 3237 Old 08-08-2010, 02:15 AM

Hi All,

I got an LE40A552 TV witht he latest firmware on it

I tryed the calibration settings mentioned in the start post for an LN40 type of tv

The picture now seems a little bit darkish sometimes i noticed it mainly in the ps3 xmb seems very dark.

could anyone post there settings for this type of tv i have mainly used for Cable tv and PS3

thanks

Here are the setting i used:

Mode = Movie
Backlight = 7
Contrast = 86
Brightness = 51
Sharpness = 0
Color = 45 calibrated - actually use 38
Tint = G50/R50

DETAILED SETTINGS

Black Adjust = Off
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Gamma = -2 (gives almost perfect 2.2 10-100 IRE)
Color Space = Custom
Red: R42 - G0 - B0
Green: R53 - G52 - B0
Blue: R10 - G0 - B69
Yellow: R52 - G51 - B0
Cyan: R56 - G53 - B52
Magenta: R45 - G2 - B57
Flesh Tone = 0
Edge Enhancement = Off
Xycc = Off

WHITE BALANCE

R-Offset = 29
G-Offset = 30
B-Offset = 28
R-Gain = 26
G-Gain = 18
B-Gain = 34

PICTURE OPTIONS

Color Tone = Warm 2
Digital N/R = Off
HDMI Black Level = Low
Film Mode = off (disabled)
Blue Mode = Off

Energy Saving = off
Entertainment modes = Off
post #3170 of 3237 Old 08-09-2010, 03:23 AM

*Shameless BumP for above post*

P.S.

Also found this one by a user said this would improve cliqs settings and make them a little bit brighter

Mode: Standard
Backlight = 5 or 6
Contrast = 85
Brightness = 50
Sharpness = 18
Color = 53
Tint = G50/R50

DETAILED SETTINGS
Black Adjust = Low
Dynamic Contrast = Low
Gamma = 0
Color Space = Custom
Red: R33 - G0 - B0
Green: R0 - G52 - B0
Blue: R0 - G0 - B51
Yellow: R43 - G47 - B0
Cyan: R0 - G46 - B56
Magenta: R37 - G0 - B43
Flesh Tone = 0
Edge Enhancement = On
Xycc = Off

WHITE BALANCE
R-Offset = 25
G-Offset = 24
B-Offset = 23
R-Gain = 25
G-Gain = 25
B-Gain = 20

PICTURE OPTIONS
Just Scan
Color Tone = Normal
Digital N/R = Off
HDMI Black Level = Normal (Grayed out on HR-21)
Film Mode = off
Blue Mode = Off
Energy Saving = Off
Entertainment modes = Off
post #3171 of 3237 Old 08-09-2010, 05:29 PM

Hi all,

I was literally searching for some good picture settings for my Samsung LA46A550 bought in India.

I see only LNXXX550 series and actually want to know whether the settings mentioned in this forum would be applicable for the LA series too?

My usage is I have a Cable set-top-box which is standard definition i.e connected via composite out to my LCD. And, have my Popcorn Hour connected thro' HDMI.

When using Popcorn hour, I want to have two modes of settings - one for Day light viewing and another for Night viewing (meaning in a dark room).
And, would like to have setting for SD cable set-top-box viewing at ambient light condition (day/night).

If any member can advise me the setting according to my usage i.e. SD and HD viewing it would be very helpful...

NB: Where can I download the latest firmware for my LCD model?
post #3172 of 3237 Old 08-10-2010, 04:31 AM

Ok for the second calibration looks good, any adjustments or tips?

Ow yeah i now sometimes see quickly a white line horizontal on the screen every now and then after the cali. any ideas?

for the above poster:

firmware can be downloaded on the samsung website under support
post #3173 of 3237 Old 08-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaynl View Post

for the above poster:

firmware can be downloaded on the samsung website under support

Thanks, I am unable to find firmware except for the instruction manual download availability for my model LA46A550. Any ideas?
post #3174 of 3237 Old 08-11-2010, 12:17 AM

Then there are no fw upgrades for you to download.

To be sure check with a samsung tech on there helpdesk.
post #3175 of 3237 Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Then there are no fw upgrades for you to download.

To be sure check with a samsung tech on there helpdesk.

Thanks, I will do that. Meanwhile, is there any other thread where I can find the calibrated settings for my LCD model LA46A550.
post #3176 of 3237 Old 08-11-2010, 01:42 PM

I am no expert , and really wish one would read this thread again to check my latest settings.

but you can also use the one for the LN46xxx

should be good or try my second settings
post #3177 of 3237 Old 08-11-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:

I am no expert , and really wish one would read this thread again to check my latest settings.

but you can also use the one for the LN46xxx

should be good or try my second settings

Thanks, I will definitely give it a shot...
post #3178 of 3237 Old 09-05-2010, 05:46 PM

After 1.5 years of constantly tinkering with my Samsung LN46A550 settings (mostly based off this forum), I finally decided to get professionally calibrated. That was 6-months ago and I still have to say WOW! I haven't had any desire to even touch the settings. Black is black, colors are vibrant and realistic. Whether blu rays or reality TV, the picture is joy to watch. After reading through many reviews on AVS, I sought Gregg Loewen for my calibration - and he delivered. He was prompt, knowledgeable, friendly and explained the process. Aside from the great picture, Gregg's work and explanations led me to gain a deeper appreciation of Films. I now recognize more subtle choices made by the director regarding lighting and wardrobe. If you're considering calibration, do it! You won't go wrong with Gregg Loewen.
Matt
post #3179 of 3237 Old 09-06-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattQNY View Post

After 1.5 years of constantly tinkering with my Samsung LN46A550 settings (mostly based off this forum), I finally decided to get professionally calibrated.

Matt

Thanks for your calibration report, and a special thanks for letting me know where it was posted.

I've included your report in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.
post #3180 of 3237 Old 10-09-2010, 06:27 PM

Does anyone know where I can get the latest firmware from? I looked for it on the Samsung site but couldn't find it?

The ones on here are the older versions:
http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/de...me=LN46A550P3F

The firmware version I have is:
1008.0, Date: 2008-11-07

Is that the current version?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page