Official LNXXA550 Calibration/Settings Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3237 Old 05-07-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i have a question, when swtiching back and forth between the dynamic setting we came up with(thebegining's) and the standard/movie settings we came up with aswell, when i look at the dynamic, colors seem to be just so much better but theres a bit of a problem with blacks, when i switch the standard settting or the movie settings its like the tv is shaded out with no VIVID colors, man , is it something wrong with my eyes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3237 Old 05-07-2008, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

i have a question, when swtiching back and forth between the dynamic setting we came up with(thebegining's) and the standard/movie settings we came up with aswell, when i look at the dynamic, colors seem to be just so much better but theres a bit of a problem with blacks, when i switch the standard settting or the movie settings its like the tv is shaded out with no VIVID colors, man , is it something wrong with my eyes?

No, nothing is wrong with your eyes. On my TV if you switch between dynamic and movie with the settings posted on this thread there is a big difference as you stated. You have just become acustomed to the "pop" effect and oversaturated colors. If you switch to movie mode it does look like the tv gets shaded out. With movie mode selected there is no additional processing done on the source from the TV (unless you have Digital NR on). As we all know DNIe does some processing to the image and produces the "dynamic" blacks and whites. Not to mention that dynamic mode tends to really push "blues". I believe that the settings for movie mode posted in this thread produce the "best" blacks without any black crush issues.

I have recorded lifehouse unplugged on my DVR. I switched between all settings and can say without a doubt that the movie posting by chelhydra or cripsy's (modified or not) look the best. Everything else makes that "show" look very unnatural. Maybe it is my TV, but those setting produce the best picture I have seen thus far, and I have tried all settings.

Also if the source intended for vivid colors to be seen as you state, then vivid colors would show up. Put in a disney blue-ray movie on the movie settings. Try cars, it will show vivid colors at that was the intent of the source material. A similar comparison would be the vivid setting of a camera compared to the normal setting of a camera. The same thing applies, if you want uncle joe's shirt showing up really bright red...go for it, but if you want it to look the same as it did at christmas...with the little stain and some fade, shoot in in normal.
post #363 of 3237 Old 05-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

No, nothing is wrong with your eyes. On my TV if you switch between dynamic and movie with the settings posted on this thread there is a big difference as you stated. You have just become acustomed to the "pop" effect and oversaturated colors. If you switch to movie mode it does look like the tv gets shaded out. With movie mode selected there is no additional processing done on the source from the TV (unless you have Digital NR on). As we all know DNIe does some processing to the image and produces the "dynamic" blacks and whites. Not to mention that dynamic mode tends to really push "blues". I believe that the settings for movie mode posted in this thread produce the "best" blacks without any black crush issues.

I have recorded lifehouse unplugged on my DVR. I switched between all settings and can say without a doubt that the movie posting by chelhydra or cripsy's (modified or not) look the best. Everything else makes that "show" look very unnatural. Maybe it is my TV, but those setting produce the best picture I have seen thus far, and I have tried all settings.

Also if the source intended for vivid colors to be seen as you state, then vivid colors would show up. Put in a disney blue-ray movie on the movie settings. Try cars, it will show vivid colors at that was the intent of the source material. A similar comparison would be the vivid setting of a camera compared to the normal setting of a camera. The same thing applies, if you want uncle joe's shirt showing up really bright red...go for it, but if you want it to look the same as it did at christmas...with the little stain and some fade, shoot in in normal.

I am with you on this, there is a reason calibrators never ever use dynamic or DNIe and my calibrator permanently disables the DNIe engine. But, here is the rub. We all know that a properly calibrated 6500K picture is the best picture possible... scientifically. That is a key word there... scientifically... by using standards set and agreed upon by people much smarter than I. However, it isn't always the best picture possible to every human's pair of eyes. That is why TV makers have all of these other settings available... to allow each individual to adjust to their individual taste. If the 6500K picture was the best to everyone, then like someone suggested, the TVs would come from the factory with one setting... 6500K. There are clearly two camps forming in this thread, those who like the 6500K picture and those who don't. No matter how much we beat this dead horse, we are never going to convince the two camps that the other settings are the best. That is why I suggested to lamo that arguing until we found the "best base settings" was frivolous and a waste of time. Instead, a calibration thread should be simply a place for folks to post what they are using, to give new owners ideas to start from. That new owner though, should and will find settings best for them, and then share continuing the cycle until this thread is 500 pages long. A person posting their settings shouldn't be attacked or criticized for posting their settings. I am guilty of getting into an arguement over this silly stuff, and it accomplishes nothing and only takes time away from enjoying my TV. Of course this is all my opinion, as there will continue to be debates over the "best" TV settings, but is also my opinion that we should spend less time debating nothingness and enjoying what boils down to one hell of a TV no matter how you have it set up to suit your personal taste.

Justin

P.S. Please, for the love of God, if anyone was offended by anything I said, I am sorry... I didn't mean to offend you. Please no hate mail.
post #364 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI05 View Post

Yep I really like those chelhydra. Not far off from cripsy's settings but a nice tweak. Thanks again.

Justin

In dim light if you put backlight to 2 and contrast to 96, you will get inky blacks. This is an amazing set.

UPDATE: If you think your set is crushing blacks with my settings you should check HDMI Black Level settings on your source and TV.
post #365 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI05 View Post

I am with you on this, there is a reason calibrators never ever use dynamic or DNIe and my calibrator permanently disables the DNIe engine. But, here is the rub. We all know that a properly calibrated 6500K picture is the best picture possible... scientifically. That is a key word there... scientifically... by using standards set and agreed upon by people much smarter than I. However, it isn't always the best picture possible to every human's pair of eyes. That is why TV makers have all of these other settings available... to allow each individual to adjust to their individual taste. If the 6500K picture was the best to everyone, then like someone suggested, the TVs would come from the factory with one setting... 6500K. There are clearly two camps forming in this thread, those who like the 6500K picture and those who don't. No matter how much we beat this dead horse, we are never going to convince the two camps that the other settings are the best. That is why I suggested to lamo that arguing until we found the "best base settings" was frivolous and a waste of time. Instead, a calibration thread should be simply a place for folks to post what they are using, to give new owners ideas to start from. That new owner though, should and will find settings best for them, and then share continuing the cycle until this thread is 500 pages long. A person posting their settings shouldn't be attacked or criticized for posting their settings. I am guilty of getting into an arguement over this silly stuff, and it accomplishes nothing and only takes time away from enjoying my TV. Of course this is all my opinion, as there will continue to be debates over the "best" TV settings, but is also my opinion that we should spend less time debating nothingness and enjoying what boils down to one hell of a TV no matter how you have it set up to suit your personal taste.

Justin

P.S. Please, for the love of God, if anyone was offended by anything I said, I am sorry... I didn't mean to offend you. Please no hate mail.

Very well said. I agree completely with you. Instead of arguing over what is the best picture setting for the TV, a good compromise would be to simply list the "best" settings for each mode. This way everyone is happy and everyone gets to try all the settings. I do not think that there is a "best" setting since everyone has a different set, but I think this would be a good place to start to eliminate arguing and get the settings back up and posted.
post #366 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

Very well said. I agree completely with you. Instead of arguing over what is the best picture setting for the TV, a good compromise would be to simply list the "best" settings for each mode. This way everyone is happy and everyone gets to try all the settings. I do not think that there is a "best" setting since everyone has a different set, but I think this would be a good place to start to eliminate arguing and get the settings back up and posted.

Agreed (again). I just got my set yesterday and thanks to everyone who has posted settings so far. As a real life example of the above, I used chelhydra's Movie settings to watch some film based sources over HD-DVD via HDMI, and they looked great. My only tweak was to up the backlight since I'm in a brightly lit room (4 windows). Realistic flesh tones, great shadow details, good colors, etc.

But then I flipped over to watch TV - I've got an SA8240HD running with component cables. Using the same settings, the Pistons-Magic game looked terrible. Way too green, the jerseys were faded looking, and in general looked like a movie about basketball instead of a live contest. Um, I guess that's what "Movie" setting is for. Anyway, here some "Standard" settings that I'm using now. For me, these look better for Video based material - at least from my cable STB. Maybe its that a lower quality source needs additional processing. I dunno. The moral of the story, I guess, is that source and personal preference matter. By the way, I think I used TheBeginning as a starting point for these, so credit there.

Mode - Standard
Backlight - 8
Contrast - 92
Brightness - 44
Sharpness - 32
Color - 50
Tint - 50/50

Detailed Settings
Black Adjust - Low
Dynamic Contrast - Low
Gamma - -1
Color Space - Auto
White Balance
R-Off - 23
G-Off - 28
B-Off - 25
R-Gain - 31
G-Gain - 24
B-Gain - 30
Flesh Tone - 0
Edge - On

Picture Options
Color Tone - Normal
Size - Just Scan
DNR - Off
DNIe - Off (grayed out since no Dynamic)
HDMI Black - Off (grayed out since via component)
Film Mode - (Auto)
Blue Only - Off
post #367 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I came up with a simular look as chelhydra's going about it a whole different way.My way seems to give a little more natural colors with a little more detail in blacks,with a little less shine on those old bald guys heads..... On my set anyway,here they are.

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 8
Contrast: 70
Brightness: 49
Sharpness: 50
Colour: 51
Tint: G53/R47
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black Adjust: Low
Dynamic Contrast: Medium
Gamma: -1
Colour Space: Custom
Red: R35 - G0 - B0
Green: same as normal
Blue: same as normal
Yellow: same as normal
Cyan: same as normal
Magenta: same as normal
White Balance:
R-Offset: 25
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 25
R-Gain: 23
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 25
Flesh Tone:-3
Edge Enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off (Grey Out)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colour Tone: Warm2
Size: Just Scan
Digital NR: Off
HDMI Black Level: Low
Movie Plus: Off
Blue Only Mode: Off
Energy Saving: Off

For a brighter room, up the backlight, for a darker room, down the backlight (ONLY)

Their you have it,These settings are after I got my set fixed by Samsung. Nthstar
post #368 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
So thus far of what settings that has been posted has there actually been someone feel that one of these settings is a base point?

What I like to see is a good overall avg setting for BD movies and HD live TV viewing If anyone of you can suggest one that is good for both of these I would appreciate it. I don't do any gamming so I'm not so worried about any of those settings.

The one thing i have seen on my LN32A550 is the lack of skin color or tone everyone seems so pale to my eyes.

James
post #369 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 08:55 AM

Anytime now Dish will be here to re-adjust my dish.It has drifted off the sat to the east
-7 degrees. Maybe ill get rid of some motion blur and gosting on my 37"(not Bad) when thats done. will see. Nthstar
post #370 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 10:33 AM

I found some very nice settings which are in between the outsiders revised settings and Crispy's. I'll post them when I get home. The outsider's 360 settings don't work that well for me, considering I have an old 360 hooked up via Component. Does anyone have any good 360 settings for component? I just can't seem to get enough detail in the blacks without sacrificing black level. I may try using my VGA cables but the color sacrifice may not be worth it.
post #371 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nthstar View Post

Ok,heres my settings for a 37 550, I have found that TNT, HDnet, and Mhd look very bad on this set
but this is not the TV, its due to compression of the content NOT the tv.How do i know this?because
I watched a basketball game on TNT and it looked bad,then later I went to ESPN and saw the highlights of the same game and it looked great.So the ghosting and motion blur you see on this tv is due to programming compression not the tv.The more megs per second (Bandwidth)you throw into the signal,the better the picture is (to a point).Thats why the PS3 and XBox look so good and the
tv signal,not as good.
These settings are for a 37 550 ONLY and do not apply to the 40,46,and 52.

This 37550 has a BIG red Push in the skin tones and is very hard to get out. It also has over-exposed Whites that can not be gotten rid of completly. If anyone has better figures for this set please come ahead with them.

Mode Movie
Backlight 7 Bright room 5 Dark room
Contrast 84
Brightness 52
Sharpness 10
Color 55
Tint G55 R45

Detailed Settings

Black Adjust Low
Dynamic Contrast Medium
Gamma 0
Color Space Custom
Red 18
Green ok
Blue ok
Yellow ok
Cyan Red 0 Green 40 Blue 40
Magenta ok

White Balance

R-Off 25
G-Off 25
B-Off 25
R-Gain 3
G-Gain 12
B-Gain 25

Flesh Tone +8
Edge inhance Off
Picture Options

Color Tone Warm 2
Size 16:9
Digital NR OFF
HDMI Black Level Low
Film Mode Auto
Blue only Off
Energy Savings OFF

Thats the best I can get with the 37 550. Anybody have anything better, Help us out

Nthstar

I just set up a new 37A550 with these settings and have way too much Green, the blues are even green. Should I just adjust the green in the (color Space Custom) setting or is there more to it. The 37A550 is only set up with a Dtv H-21 on component, so maybe movie is not the best Mode.

Zap of SLO
post #372 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniles View Post

I just set up a new 37A550 with these settings and have way too much Green, the blues are even green. Should I just adjust the green in the (color Space Custom) setting or is there more to it. The 37A550 is only set up with a Dtv H-21 on component, so maybe movie is not the best Mode.

Did you try any of the other settings posted in this thread?
post #373 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 11:43 AM

Yes I tryed the 1499 and had the same problem Greens.

Zap of SLO
post #374 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

the 37 and below have different specs than the 40+ a550. Most if not all of the settings have been done on the 46/52 so they may no translate properly.
post #375 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes I tryed the 1499 and had the same problem Greens.

The 1499 isn't for this model. Try some of the other posts in this thread.
post #376 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 01:09 PM

kniles, Try mine, if your still to green you will probably need a service call.
post #377 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 01:18 PM

They changed the Main PCB board and the lead connector thru a service call and it works great now.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=343
post #378 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 05:46 PM

I'll try your latest setting from today. I did load in you red settings today, blues are green. If I am not mistaken you also have a 37A550, so that will be a good test. I think I my have a PCB board problem also, but I sure hope not. Thanks for the help.

Zap of SLO
post #379 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 05:56 PM

I'll try your setting from today. I did load in your old red settings today, blues were green. I think you have a 37A550 so this would be a good test. I think it could be the PCB board, but I sure hope not. Thaks for the help.

Zap of SLO
post #380 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

hey there, a little update here from me, well just tuned to TNT HD and started watching the color tones in the videos and i came to a conclusion that dynamic does indeed give less natural colors, when i use the movie mode with chelhydra's settings colors look much more natual but lemme say 1 thing, nBA Games look aweful, i relized that dynamic is possibly the best and most exciting way to way an NBA game, for movies Movie i think is the bets, what do you all think about this? an nba looks really boring and so much color less with movie mode or even standard, but for movies, movie mode with chelhydra settings look really good, hey outsider, did u try chelhydra's setting, what did u think about these settings?
post #381 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 07:57 PM

Here are my settings based upon Outsider and Crispy

I use these for everything, 360, wii, dvds, and satellite. I'm fairly happy with them, but I'm a tweaker so I'll post my tweaks in the weeks to come.

Mode Movie
Backlight 6
Contrast 90
Brightness 50
Sharpness 15
Color 64
Tint G55 R45

Detailed Settings

Black Adjust Low
Dynamic Contrast Low
Gamma 0
Color Space Native

White Balance

R-Off 23
G-Off 25
B-Off 25
R-Gain 23
G-Gain 25
B-Gain 25

Flesh Tone 0
Edge inhance Off
Picture Options

Color Tone Warm 1
Size 16:9
Digital NR OFF
HDMI Black Level (component)
Film Mode Off
Blue only Off
Energy Savings OFF
post #382 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

hey there, a little update here from me, well just tuned to TNT HD and started watching the color tones in the videos and i came to a conclusion that dynamic does indeed give less natural colors, when i use the movie mode with chelhydra's settings colors look much more natual but lemme say 1 thing, nBA Games look aweful, i relized that dynamic is possibly the best and most exciting way to way an NBA game, for movies Movie i think is the bets, what do you all think about this? an nba looks really boring and so much color less with movie mode or even standard, but for movies, movie mode with chelhydra settings look really good, hey outsider, did u try chelhydra's setting, what did u think about these settings?

Haven't tried them yet, but I am going to...I am going to try all of the new settings posted to see what everything looks like...Will let you know my feedback/tweaks if i have any.
post #383 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 08:31 PM

I'm using this LCD as a PC monitor and the text seems just a little fuzzy. Any one have an idea how i can fix this?
post #384 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 09:18 PM

Dish came by today and I have found that if you are running a Satellite dish, make sure it is dead on the satellite.It will help with any motion blur and ghosting you might have. It cut mine way down and made what little I had left speed way up and now a non issue. Also if your running a cable reciver,make sure your CABLE CORD is good.This also could fix problems. Nthstar
post #385 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 10:12 PM

I'm currently using a modified version of outsiderwv's settings. I found there to be a bit too much of a "green push", so I'm debating between the 1499 settings and these. I just can't believe that David Letterman is THAT tanned...and green haha. I'm going to work on these settings over the next few days and I'll report back.
post #386 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

okie dokie outsider, sounds good, let me know so right now im basically using a modified version of chelhydra's settings, i basically have the same brightness contrast as him aswell as tint and color but i raised sharpness to 50 and backlight to 6. and in the detailed section i enabled DYNAMIC CONTRAST to HIGH and BLACK ADJUST to low. oh and i have it WARM1 , not WARM2, the setting looks preety good i would say, with these modifications that i made, what do u think about these settings? oh on for cable TV i have BLACK ADJUST on HIGH, it makes the channels look better i think, is it wrong to have BLACK ADJUST on high? i mean does it caush black crush? and im not sure what to set sharpness on, whats the most recommanded setting for sharpness? i mean as i change it and try to look what looks better i cant really decide on sharpness.

@Nthstar

regarding your comment about the CABLE cord, im using cable and i have the cable cord that comes from the wall into my aparment hooked up into CABLE IN jack on a MONSTER PowerCenter device which supposdly cleans the signal, then from there CABLE Out into the CABLE BOX's CABLE IN jack, and from the cable box's CABLE OUT into the TV's Cable in jack.

this is the device:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=592

as u can see on the side theres the 2 jacks. i tried with and without this , couldnt notice much difference but do u think it could hurt PQ in the channels with this hookup via the monsterpower center since its a proccess in other words(from wall to powercenter, from powercenter to cable box, from cable box to TV rather than stright from wall to cable box and from cable box to TV)
post #387 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

okie dokie outsider, sounds good, let me know so right now im basically using a modified version of chelhydra's settings, i basically have the same brightness contrast as him aswell as tint and color but i raised sharpness to 50 and backlight to 6. and in the detailed section i enabled DYNAMIC CONTRAST to HIGH and BLACK ADJUST to low. oh and i have it WARM1 , not WARM2, the setting looks preety good i would say, with these modifications that i made, what do u think about these settings? oh on for cable TV i have BLACK ADJUST on HIGH, it makes the channels look better i think, is it wrong to have BLACK ADJUST on high? i mean does it caush black crush? and im not sure what to set sharpness on, whats the most recommanded setting for sharpness? i mean as i change it and try to look what looks better i cant really decide on sharpness.

When you turn up dynamic contrast and black adjust to high it usually equals black crush. Black crush is when you get wicked blacks but lose all detail in black scenes.
post #388 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

how come when i set BLACK ADJUST to HIGH the picture becomes so much more sharp in the black parts of the Picture?
post #389 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

how come when i set BLACK ADJUST to HIGH the picture becomes so much more sharp in the black parts of the Picture?

its not a matter of being more sharp but a matter of losing detail. Picture a man in a black suit. with proper settings you should see his pocket on the suit. With black crush the suit will look black but you will not see the pocket.

record a movie with dark scenes and then play with the settings. You should see that with all the adjusts cranked up that you loose fine detail. then rewind and watch the same scene with out the adjustments and you should have more detail. the trick is to get your blacks as dark as possible without loosing detail.

i just reread this and it may not be as clear as i intended but whatever.
post #390 of 3237 Old 05-08-2008, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

i see, thx for that explanation chef. so it would be better to have black adjust on low? is it fine to have dynamic contrast on high or that makes the image loose detail aswell? because dynamic contrast on high brings so much more life to the image but maybe im not looking at the image in the right way now that ur explained me the detail thing
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page