post #451 of 3237 Old 05-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by myxylplyx View Post

I am unable to adjust the "HDMI Black Level" settings on my LN46A550... it is grayed out for me even though I have a pure HDMI connection (Comcast Motorola DCT3412 to TX-SR 705 Receiver to display).

It says in the instructions that it may not work with all devices and I am disappointed if that is the case.

Anyone else experience similar problems or have similar equipment without that issue?

You can only use hdmi black level if you have everything set to output in RGB if you have it set to YCC hdmi black level will be blacked out. to check what your moto is set to turn of the box with the tv still on. press the red menu button on the remote. this will bring up the menu screen - go to additional hdmi settings and look at colorspace it will be either RGB or YCC. I'm not familiar with the 705 so i can't help you their. hope this helps some
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3237 Old 05-10-2008, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
outsider, no his settings didnt work so well for the 360, i think games need the POP , so this are basically my 360 settings:

Mode: Standard
Backlight: 6
Contrast: 92 (LIKE CHEL'S settings)
Brightness: 47 (LIKE CHEL'S settings)
Sharpness: 50
Color: 50
Tint (G/R): 53/47

Detailed Settings:
Black Adjust: Low
Dynamic Contrast: High
Gamma: 0
Color Space: USING CHEL'S Color Space Settings
White Balance: USING CHEL'S White Balance Settings
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: On

Picture Settings:
Color Tone: Normal
Size: Just Scan
HDMI Black Level: Low GREYED OUT

Energy Savings: OFF
post #453 of 3237 Old 05-10-2008, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

ok guys i basically narrowed it down to what i think for now. basically the settings i posted above are going to be used for the xbox 360, it gives great blacks and overall great picture quality thanks to chelhydra for my cable tv im using almost the exact same settings just that the main setting scheme is not STANDARD but "MOVIE", and Black adjust is on HIGH because it makes my cable tv channels look better, both HD channels and Standard channels, i dont loose too much detail from what i can see with it on or low, i been toggling it off and on checking, not much differnce but it makes the image with deeper blacks where the source lacks it. for my PS3 i have these "Movie" settings that im using for my cable tv source just with Black Adjust to Low since the ps3 doesnt need it more and Black detail is more important there for me when playing games and watching so yea. but overall thanks to chelhydra's setting i managed to get a nice settings set for now,

u know whats funny now hehe, when i switch to Dynamic now, theres not much difference picture quality wise, i mean dynamic still brings that a bit brighter image but when i get back to my movie settings i get my deeper blacks and vivid image as if i have DNIe enabled, just to make clear again , i only have Black Adjust on HIGH for my cable tv source because it makes all the channels have better blacks.

theres 1 thing i must note, when watching NBA games either on TNT HD or ESPN HD. the movie settings are fine, its just that when switched to Dynamic, it looks better and makes the NBA watching more enjoyable i would say. toggling back to movie mode is very good aswell however i guess the slighly brighter image gives it that touch for NBA watching. but its all good

cheers.
post #454 of 3237 Old 05-10-2008, 10:15 PM

Liked: 10
outsider u still havent answered my question about the settings u have for 360 possibly being different on the 32A550 since the contrast ratio is only 15000:1? does that make any noticeable difference,and now that this hydra came out with new settings do u people think they are better for the X360 than outsiders ? im lookin for optimal settings so far on 360 thanks.
post #455 of 3237 Old 05-10-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

outsider, no his settings didnt work so well for the 360, i think games need the POP , so this are basically my 360 settings:

Mode: Standard

Detailed Settings:
Black Adjust: Low

Picture Settings:
Color Tone: Normal

Energy Savings: Low

I agree that these settings are amazing for xbox 360,outsider i think u should try them out,u will see they are just as sharp for image quality as your settings but produce far better blacks....anyway only changes i made was turning energy saver off instead of low and put backlight between 8-10. this brighter image definately creates nicer pop if thats what ur looking for. otherwise the lower brightness still looks fantastic although a bit of black crush when using HDMI
post #456 of 3237 Old 05-10-2008, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

oh hey there viper, great u like em too, i dont see why someone wouldnt really but its upto to everyone to decide i edited my post in above because by mistake i put "Energy Savings: low". I dont have it on low , i have it on OFF.

btw u have ur backlight at 8?
post #457 of 3237 Old 05-10-2008, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

btw just to make order, here are my CABLE TV/PS3 settings, they look very good aswell:

Mode: Movie

Detailed Settings:
Black Adjust: Low (I HAVE IT SET ON HIGH FOR MY CABLE TV!)

Picture Settings:
Color Tone: WARM1

Energy Savings: OFF

so yea guys basically i narrowed it all down to try and create the most balanced and good looking settings, big thanks to Cehlhydras for his awesome white blanace and Color space settings! if anyone has any info on how to possibly improve the Picture further more post away and again, for NBA games i think im gonna be using the Standard settings that i use on my 360 to give it that pop it needs, NBA games look a whole lot more awesome, to me atleast, with more POP, ohhh yea

cheers
post #458 of 3237 Old 05-10-2008, 11:01 PM

ya man i got the backlight on 8,i like the brighter picture it makes evrything so much more alive looking,put some light on in ur room and try backlight at 8 or 9 i think u will like it. Anyway ya i think these settings are nicer than outsiders for 360 because it makes blacks so deep and doesnt really change that much from his so its a good combo,i think he will agree with me but who knows :\\
post #459 of 3237 Old 05-10-2008, 11:01 PM

oh and btw u should HDMI,on component ur blacks probably dont come close ,btw have u got any solid audio settings ? so far im using rye's settings with auto volume on off but for some things aduno,i wouldnt mind tryin somethin else hehe lt me know
post #460 of 3237 Old 05-10-2008, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

yea thats what i was trying to achieve, a good combo of all of the awesome settings ppl posted all the time. oh and i am using HDMI for the ps3 and cable tv that is, not on the 360 cuz my 360 doesnt have an HDMI port. regarding sound, i dont use the TV's speakers so i cant help u there man, im using an Onkyo 7.1 surround system actually. For TV/Movie watching , what settings do you use , Viper?
post #461 of 3237 Old 05-10-2008, 11:50 PM

ya for sound i also have a surround sound 5.1 system but i still use the TV speakers alot because they are more conveninent and when i play late at night i dont wanna wake up the kids and stuff anyway i found ryes audio settings with auto volume off to sound absolutely amazing (almost better than my surround sound setup lol!) especialy playing COD4 wow! u should punch them in just as a backup sound setting its awesome. Anway so i made some minor adjustments for the 360 post u set up,i just set color to 51 (not that i notice a difference that much lol) and i either put the xbox on intermediate with HDMI black levels on low and black adjust set to OFF or i set to expanded with black levels on normal and black adjust on high,both look good but i adjust those 2 final black level settings according to waht i play but for u it doesnt apply since ur using component (bummer!) for the xbox 360. As for movie mode settings im using the slightly modified crispy settings that outsider posted they seem pretty nice and for dynamic mode (wich i never use but just in case) i have those set up on thebegginings dynamic mode settings at the start of this thread and for audio im using Ryes sick audio settings with auto volume off,they all fit in so nicely lol. Oh i wanted to ask wich sammy do u have ? i got the 32A550 (dont have space for a bigger size but i still love it) and did u try backlight settings on 8 or 9 yet,what do u think of it ? (only if room is a bit lit up dont do it in a completely dark room if u still want ur eyesight :P ) oh and with ur settings i also put sharpness at 60,tell me what u think about that as well (so the 3 changes were color to 51,sharpness 60 instead of 50 and backlight from 8-10)
post #462 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef jer View Post

You can only use hdmi black level if you have everything set to output in RGB if you have it set to YCC hdmi black level will be blacked out. to check what your moto is set to turn of the box with the tv still on. press the red menu button on the remote. this will bring up the menu screen - go to additional hdmi settings and look at colorspace it will be either RGB or YCC. I'm not familiar with the 705 so i can't help you their. hope this helps some

Thanks for this info, tried it last night and it worked.

"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." - Winston Churchill
post #463 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 07:43 AM

you guys have any settings that will stop the little bit of motion blur on the ESPN bottom ticker?
post #464 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 10:34 AM

maybe try putting on game mode or just disable any of the extra processing settings like dnie diginal nr etc.
post #465 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm finding that the text on the tv is rather edgy and harsh on the eyes I've got a 8800gt and I'm connecting with Dvi to HDMI cable. Circle's in radio buttons appear not round, more edgy. Anyone have any solution for that?
post #466 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

hey viper nice post, regarding backlight, i pumped it up to 7(i had it on that before but lowered it to 6 lol) ill keep it on 7. regarding sharpness, to tell u the truth man, i cant notice a difference between 50 and 60, i can surely notice a difference between 20 sharpness and 50 sharpness but im not quiete sure. do u notice a difference in sharpness? regarding color, i did a quick color calibration with my DVE disc(using the color coded filter that came with my DVE disc) and 50 is just fine for color, i tried testing with color on 51 , not much of a difference TEST wise but it doesnt hurt anything either , one thing i noticed, actually having color on 53-54 could be better, ima have to try that. btw what surround system u got ?
post #467 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

oh btw i have the 46 incher, LN46A550. its actually a funny story lol, im stepping down from a 50' DLP btw so anything smaller than 50 looked smaller for me but i was like hell its an LCD, with its great featrues and all i wouldnt care about size, so u kno i went and bought the 40 incher, MAN! lol, in my living room that thing looked soooo small, maybe its cuz i was used to the 50 inch cuz im using the same stand. but man, first i was trying to convince myself it was big lol, but then my family started saying also like dude what the heck did u buy!!!. i was like ok i admit, its too small and i was wrong, size does matter, thx god i kept the box, me and my brother went into pc richard and returned it for the 46 incher, BIG Size difference, i bet the 52 is even more awesome but that just costs too much, trust me man 46 is big and i highly recommand it. 40 is a huge no no for me, ill never ever buy a 40 inch unless it will be for my bedroom and my viewing distance is not too far because u really need to squint your eyes to enjoy the picture,
post #468 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph00p View Post

I'm finding that the text on the tv is rather edgy and harsh on the eyes I've got a 8800gt and I'm connecting with Dvi to HDMI cable. Circle's in radio buttons appear not round, more edgy. Anyone have any solution for that?

Disable edge enhancer and set sharpness to 10, or even lower.

For those of you who want more pop and brightness, use my settings and put dynamic contrast to low, black adjust low and backlight to 5 or 6 depending on light conditions.

cheers
post #469 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 03:26 PM

ya lemon,nah i dont notice a difference in sharpness but i just leave it on 58 for the hell of it lol,its all the same from 50 onwards as far as my eye can see. So let me know if color is better at 53 or 54 (although i think that might be a bit to colorful but let me know) and my surround sound system is advent speakers with kenwood receiver nothing special but it does the job well. Also i think that digital NR thing is better off to reduce game lagg btw. And one thing thats been buggin me is that my version of the sammy only has the 15000:1 contrast cuz its the 32 inch but the 46 has 30000:1 so i was wondering if that makes any differences especialy for putting on the same picture settings ? (and 32 inch size is perfect for me as i have it placed in my bedroom on my desk right next to my gaming PC rig and computer monitor so its perfect im only sitting about 1-2 feet away from it and its gorgeous especialy as a computer monitor as well!)
post #470 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scb175 View Post

you guys have any settings that will stop the little bit of motion blur on the ESPN bottom ticker?

I have noticed even on 120hz sets, the ESPN ticker still does that.
post #471 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

well viper i havent seen the 32 inch but yea the 46 incher has 30,000:1 contrast ratio. about the color, cant really see a difference between 50-51-52-53-54. what im going to set color on as a matter of fact from now and on is 53. but yea test wise theres barely a difference between 50-54 when u check with the color coded refrence tool that comes with the DVE calibration disc, so yea im gonna have color on 53. u pumped up sharpness to 58, ya sounds good i guess, i have it on 50, not sure if i should pump it up but i tried having shaprness on the 30 like some of the guys suggested here, picture was really SOFT, it kindda ruined it for me, specially for sports, heck, for NBA im using Standard for sure, i need POP in there if u know what i mean movie mode doesnt work so well with sports, u'll see try it out, switch between Movie mode's WARM1 setting to Standard with NORMAL, looks more POPy and natural in my opinion, for movies tho, im gonna use Movie mode for sure, either way after all the changing of settings etc, im not going to change my contrast and brightness settings because these 2 settings i think are TOP notch thanks to chelhydra and really spot on, aswell as his white balance and color space settings. oh regarding digital NR, it should surely be disabled for any source and any settingsm many guys here say that it creates some sort of smearing but either way, i think it should be off because nearly all pros say it should be OFF

cheers
post #472 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm just wondering if anyone of you guys are using professional tools to help with the calibration process?

Is anyone here using a computer connected to the TV and then one of those monitor calibration tool like a Spyder 3 to calibrate the TV?
post #473 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

okie did u try chel's white balance and color space settings yourself yet?

Thanks for any and all comments(thick skin,at my age all sh*t rolls off) Would like to check out chelhydras settings but laziness has set-in. Happen to know the link,page # for chelhydras post.
post #474 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 05:52 PM

Hi All,

New to the forum, and am using the LN32A550 as my pc monitor with an 8800GT card.

Let's get a PC calibration discussion going. I have no idea what I'm doing, so hopefully someone here can help get it started. I've noticed a few people with pc related questions on this thread, but no answers so far

Thanks in advance!
post #475 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 06:02 PM

wow look at the timing. U just mentioned getting PC settings right after i just hooked up that exact same TV via HDMI cable on my 9800GX2 LOL. Anyway guys i got a problem with the PC hookup. For some reason on the HDMI cable for PC (my vid card has an hdmi port) it only goes to 1920x1080i it wont do 1080p whats the problem ??? at first it didnt detect my TV's native res so i had to add my own custom resoluiton of 1080 and when its set on that resolution the info on the TV says 1080i and this is horrible for web browsing and everything else,theres tons of lagg everytime i go up and down a web page or move a window LOL so how do i get 1080p for PC over HDMI with this sucker ? and lemon ok thats cool so ill just set my color to 53 as well,and DNR i kept off as always was just makin sure about that. The last thing i wanted to ask is to see if u liked dynamic contrast on low or medium for these settings better than high. Ive tried all of them and just cant decide what looks best,sometimes im saying high and others low LOL,i thought low was givin it more of the pop what do u think ?
post #476 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 06:19 PM

Hello everyone can someone recommend me a calibration for my new 52A550. I have a HDMI cable connected from my cable box to the TV. I will be watching mainly movies and once in a while sports. I also have a surround sound system. Eventually I will purchase a BlueRay. Thanks.
post #477 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

i personally think that High gives more POP man. when i put it on low or medium its like im shuting alot of LIGHT or i might even say COLOR from the PQ. that might be only me but i really like the picture having pop and brighter Image, i certainly dont like having a dark image really, it brings the expirience down i think so ya. heck i bought the TV to enjoy a bright vivid picture so i dont want to turn down the settings and make it darker when it CAN be brighter(without loosing BLACK quality!) i know its harder to keep black quality with a brighter image but i try my best u know, i know what u mean when u say u cant decide on the settings lol, me too im still trying to raise this and that up and down(NOT contrast and brightness, these are optimal settings ). color is just fine on 53-54. shaprness im debating between 50 or a little more up, im also debating if i should have EDGE ENHANCMENT on or OFF.
post #478 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 06:31 PM

the truth is u wont see a difference weather u put up the sharpness or u have it on or off but the pros say for gaming to turn it on so i have edge on although i dont see any difference,as for sharpness lol im just leaving it at 58 but 50 is the same .anyway so ill keep it on high then. Now the only thing im trying to really figure out is why its only doing 1080i for my PC wtf (i think we should both set sharpness to 55 and call it a day its a nice looking # dont u think ? LOL)
post #479 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeginning View Post

Dynamic Mode
Backlight 4
Contrast 84
Brightness 52
Sharpness 50
Color 51
Tint(G/R) G55/R45 --- Used a color lens to correct the red

Detailed Settings
Black Adjust - High
Dynamic Contrast - High
Gamma - 0
Color Space - Auto
Flesh Tone - 0
Edge Enhancement - On
White Balance -- All settings at 25

Picture Options
Color Tone - Normal (Cool 1 was too Blue)
Digital NR - Auto
DNIe - On (This setting really brings life to this set.)
Film Mode - Auto

Energy Savings -Off

so these appear to be the most used settings in this thread.

why isn't "detailed settings" available in dynamic mode? it's available in standard and movie modes. i have the rest of these settings set up in standard, but can't turn DNIe on, which i think would make it look great.
post #480 of 3237 Old 05-11-2008, 07:53 PM

Does any one know how to adjust/calibrate the display for the USB input? Thanks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page