Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3237 Old 05-22-2008, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

I actually haven't played any games for my PS3 yet, just been using it as a Blue-Ray/DVD player. I buy almost everything for the 360, however if I was playing games I would probably use the same settings on the PS3 that I use for my 360.

This is what I would be sure to have though if I was playing games on a PS3.
PS3 on limited.
TV HDMI level on Low.

thanks outsider. i too mostly play on the 360, have a few games for the ps3 though. using your bluray and 360 settings, very nice! have LE40A558
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3237 Old 05-22-2008, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

That's right, are you implying that an incorrectly set up PS3 is not a bad thing?

Apparently YOU do not understand black crush. Since you seem to complain a lot about me not being informative enough, here's a little slice of knowledge...

Black crush is a compression of dynamic range. Let's say your set displays shades of gray from pure black to whitey white... let's call those shades 0 to 255, 0 is black, 255 is white, and 128 is grey.
Now, let's imagine what would happen if you could only display digital shades 127-129... your entire picture would be 3 shades... 0-127 would be one shade, 128 the next, and 129-255 the third. You would be "compressing" all shades from 0-127 into one shade.

Now let's think of a more realistic case... you can display only from 16 to about 238... Shades of digital 0-16 would all be displayed as the same color. Anything from 0 to 16 will be pretty dark anyway... more of a shade of black, you might say, but now they are all the same shade of black. No adjustment to brightness can fix this issue, because they are simply all the same. This is what is called "black crush".

Most DVDs are mastered to utilize 16-238(ish) anyway (the NTSC standard), so it's no biggie. Some, however, like the Talented Mr. Ripley (good movie ) have a higher dynamic range and contain info from 0-16. If your set displays 0-16 all as the same shade, your picture will be degraded.

"How can I fix this?", you may ask. Well, on modern players like the Xbox 360 for example, there are settings to adjust the player's output range.

Let's look at the 360: There are 3 settings: Standard, Intermediate, and Expanded. Standard outputs 16-?, Expanded 0-255, and intermediate somewhere in between for those who are just guessing.
Play Mr. Ripley on your 360 on standard setting, and it will magically convert the DVD scale 0-255 to 16-238! You'll be able to view all those rich, dark details as the author intended! But set the Xbox to Expanded and... well, it will output 0-255 and that excellent dark tweed suit will look like just some cheap Sears Roebuck and Co. Poly-Mix.

Any questions?

You crack me up. This is all information I know, but thanks for informing all other users. Again, the information you posted was incorrect earlier. The information about black crush is correct...but it goes deeper than that by not being able to see black detail...this is controlled by brightness as well as range as you stated. I know all about the reference level on the 360 as well. Again, what I stated was correct...the first thing you stated...was incorrect. For some reason you are stating there is no way to fix black crush..you have it or you don't. This is not right. Just read your first 2 posts...they don't make any sense man. Gemme a break and read what you were actually saying. What you say here is right...but what you said earlier is not correct.

And no...if you read my post I didn't say a incorrect PS3 setup is good...just that some people don't know how to set it up correctly, but that doesn't mean they can't calibrate their set as you were saying.
post #633 of 3237 Old 05-22-2008, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBee41 View Post

thanks outsider. i too mostly play on the 360, have a few games for the ps3 though. using your bluray and 360 settings, very nice! have LE40A558

Glad you like em
post #634 of 3237 Old 05-22-2008, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
guys i dont know which white settings i should use, chelhydra's or crispy's, i dont know but it does totaly make the image greenish but i got used to it, however, is that how its supposed to be? chelhydra, i have a question for you, u are the only one that uses a CUSTOM COLOR SPACE Settings, how did u get to these settings, did u calibrate to them using a special DVD or something? and do they provide better colors than COLOR SPACE set to "AUTO"? chelhydra's white balance settings do look like the default settings but they dont look bad at all either way, they look good.

oh and i have 1 BIG question, everyone says that in the PS3 settings RGB should be set to LIMITED and not FULL RGB, why is that? when i change to FULL RGB the picture becomes MUCH MUCH more vibrant, why should it be on LIMITED?

btw crakar thx for the black crush info.
post #635 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 02:24 AM

Ok so, I had my LN40a550 calibrated a couple days ago and.... it's bad. Before hand I was using chelhydra's settings and it was looking pretty great. I thought the calibration would improve on it slightly, but it's gone way downhill.

He spent about 45mins-1hr going through the service menu settings, looked ok on ESPNHD when he left, but I didn't have much time to check it out until recently...

It looks as though there's a constant whitewash layer over the top of everything, and the worst is there's a consistent 'blur' on motion objects. As I sit here watching Conan, during his monologue, while he is standing still you can see the creases in his suit, but once he starts moving, even slowly, back and forth the creases blur into nothingness and his suit appears to be one solid black piece of cloth. Frankly, it's hurting my eyes.

I almost want to just reset to the factory defaults and go back to chelhydra's, but I'm afraid it's only going to reset the menu settings and not the service menu/manufacturer settings. Not to mention, I paid for this service
post #636 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrights View Post

Ok so, I had my LN40a550 calibrated a couple days ago and.... it's bad. Before hand I was using chelhydra's settings and it was looking pretty great. I thought the calibration would improve on it slightly, but it's gone way downhill.

He spent about 45mins-1hr going through the service menu settings, looked ok on ESPNHD when he left, but I didn't have much time to check it out until recently...

It looks as though there's a constant whitewash layer over the top of everything, and the worst is there's a consistent 'blur' on motion objects. As I sit here watching Conan, during his monologue, while he is standing still you can see the creases in his suit, but once he starts moving, even slowly, back and forth the creases blur into nothingness and his suit appears to be one solid black piece of cloth. Frankly, it's hurting my eyes.

I almost want to just reset to the factory defaults and go back to chelhydra's, but I'm afraid it's only going to reset the menu settings and not the service menu/manufacturer settings. Not to mention, I paid for this service

Why did he break into the service menu to calibrate the set? Everything you need to make a proper calibration is in the standard user menu.
post #637 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 05:15 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Just wanted to go ahead and get a calibration thread started for this TV. Here are my current settings:

Ok here are my settings that I did with a DVE blue-ray disk. These settings were done on an HDMI input for the PS3, since the PS3 is my main movie player. I have a LN46A550.

Movie Mode
Backlight 4
Contrast 85
Brightness 52
Sharpness 20
Color 51
Tint(G/R) G55/R45 --- Used a color lens to correct the red

Detailed Settings
Black Adjust - Low
Dynamic Contrast - Medium -- I have recently changed this to off...Make the picture a little more darker, but more accurate I think. I will give it time and see.
Gamma - 0
Color Space - Auto
Flesh Tone - 0
Edge Enhancement - Off
White Balance -- All settings at 25

Picture Options
Color Tone - Warm 1
Digital NR - Off
HDMI Black Level - Low

Energy Savings - Low

There you go..These settings were done in a fairly dark room. I use these settings for all my TV and Movie viewing. Let me know what you guys think.

Dave

New to forum. Just purchased the LN46A550 from BB.

Been a lurker of this thread and others for a few weeks.
I used your settings to calibrate my set and there very good.
Thanks for posting these settings.

For anyone still looking for a great LCD TV get this one.

One question for anyone. What is the blue light shining down
from the bottom bezel in the middle?
post #638 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 05:27 AM

(# of clicks):
Balance: 0
100Hz: 8 clicks right
300Hz: 8 left
1kHz: 4 left
3kHz: 3 right
10kHz: 5 right[/quote]

These are working nicely for me also.
I'm going to add a 5.1 system this weekend, so I may have
to tweek these somewhat.

Thanks!
post #639 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

You crack me up. This is all information I know, but thanks for informing all other users. Again, the information you posted was incorrect earlier. The information about black crush is correct...but it goes deeper than that by not being able to see black detail...this is controlled by brightness as well as range as you stated. I know all about the reference level on the 360 as well. Again, what I stated was correct...the first thing you stated...was incorrect. For some reason you are stating there is no way to fix black crush..you have it or you don't. This is not right. Just read your first 2 posts...they don't make any sense man. Gemme a break and read what you were actually saying. What you say here is right...but what you said earlier is not correct.

And no...if you read my post I didn't say a incorrect PS3 setup is good...just that some people don't know how to set it up correctly, but that doesn't mean they can't calibrate their set as you were saying.

Alright, apparently you know everything Ignorance is bliss!
post #640 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Alright, apparently you know everything Ignorance is bliss!

Didn't say I know everything...far from it. Everything I said was correct, I didn't claim to know everything. And ignorance is bliss, sorry you feel that way. You are just to proud to admit what you said was wrong. But that's fine. Take it easy.
post #641 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msny View Post

New to forum. Just purchased the LN46A550 from BB.

Been a lurker of this thread and others for a few weeks.
I used your settings to calibrate my set and there very good.
Thanks for posting these settings.

For anyone still looking for a great LCD TV get this one.

One question for anyone. What is the blue light shining down
from the bottom bezel in the middle?

FYI, I am now using post 404 for my settings. My slightly "modified" cripsy settings.
post #642 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:

FYI, I am now using post 404 for my settings. My slightly "modified" cripsy settings.

Thanks. I'll check them out also.
post #643 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Has anyone ever thought of calibrating with a digital camera? My Canon can do histograms of the RGB channels individually, so I was thinking that not only could I match the levels of all three channels independantly, but I could also calibrate the CR and such based on a combined histogram... any ideas?
post #644 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Has anyone ever thought of calibrating with a digital camera? My Canon can do histograms of the RGB channels individually, so I was thinking that not only could I match the levels of all three channels independantly, but I could also calibrate the CR and such based on a combined histogram... any ideas?

That's a good idea. I don't know much about doing it like that, but sounds good.
post #645 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 11:49 AM

When you turn on the set, it comes on and lights the middle
stand and front downwards.

Looked cool for about 5 minutes, now its distracting.

Found out you can turn it off, see page 58 of manual
(pdf).
post #646 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelhydra View Post

Why did he break into the service menu to calibrate the set? Everything you need to make a proper calibration is in the standard user menu.

Well that's fun. Do I call them and request he come out and reset everything back to factory and try again? This is rather disappointing
post #647 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 03:46 PM

Alright, I've hooked my PC up to the A550 via a DVI to HDMI cable. What are some recommended settings?
post #648 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrights View Post

Well that's fun. Do I call them and request he come out and reset everything back to factory and try again? This is rather disappointing

Well personally I'd at least call and tell them you hate the way the set looks and you'd just reset it yourself except you know he messed with the service menu, so you want them to come back and fix it (one way or another). You paid for it, you should like how it looks!
post #649 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desides View Post

Alright, I've hooked my PC up to the A550 via a DVI to HDMI cable. What are some recommended settings?

I hooked up my PowerMac dual G5 via HDMI2/DVI using a DVI-HDMI cable and set the input name for PC, but I hated the way it looked and couldn't adjust sufficiently because most of your advanced settings are greyed out. I changed it to "game" or something else and adjusted by eye and love the way it looks now. Others might disagree but I'm not a fan of the preset PC settings.
post #650 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinjb View Post

I hooked up my PowerMac dual G5 via HDMI2/DVI using a DVI-HDMI cable and set the input name for PC, but I hated the way it looked and couldn't adjust sufficiently because most of your advanced settings are greyed out. I changed it to "game" or something else and adjusted by eye and love the way it looks now. Others might disagree but I'm not a fan of the preset PC settings.

Yeah, I'm not wild about how naming the label PC blocks out some settings. (Why the hell, Samsung?)
post #651 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Just throwing a question out there. I've tried post 404 (I believe that's Outsider's) and no offense, I know a lot of ppl here seem to like those settings, but I thought it looked terrible. I don't know how anyone can stand using the warm settings... I think everything looks reddish brown on these settings and quite dark. I don't like dynamic or having contrast etc. too high as it looks unnatural, but I prefer Standard with some modifications and the cool1 setting. To me on that setting colors look very natural and whites look white, not brown.

Blu-Ray from PS3 looks fantastic but I've been screwing with my settings since I got the TV last week trying to get a good compromise for FiOS cable HDTV. I don't know how you guys can use the same settings for both Blu/HD DVD and cable; I think the two sources look quite different. Plus every damned channel (in fact every program) looks different from everything else so all you can hope for with cable is a compromise. I think using auto noise reduction helps clean up the crappier channels a bit but I have it off for my PS3/HD DVD input (they're both on a switcher attached to my pre/pro).

Anyway is it just my eyes or does anyone else here find these popular settings (namely the warm ones) to be dark, brownish/reddish? There's nothing wrong with the TV as my current settings look fantastic to me so maybe it's just my eyes.

Oh and another thought... Many cable channels seem to look like they have a haze or mist all around the whites, but then others look fine (and as I said blu is perfect). Especially on sports channels it's razor sharp, but other channels look hazy. Is this normal with cable or could it be something with my settings? I've been trying to tweak it out but I'm coming to believe it's just how some channels or programs look and I never noticed it before on my old 32" LCD...
post #652 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

One more question please for those using a PS3. I tried changing the video settings on the PS3 to 1080p output, but whenever I do, the screen goes blank and the TV shows a message that it's looking for signal, then I have to wait 30 seconds for it to automatically go back to the 1080i output setting. I have my PS3 connected via HDMI through my Emotiva pre/pro's switcher which does nothing to the signal, just passes it through. When I turn the PS3 on, the info box pops up showing 1080i/60Hz input, but when I put in a blu-ray movie it does change to 1920x1080 24Hz so I think it's working right and putting out 1080P when there's a blu disk in.

Anyone know if this is normal? Thanks!!
post #653 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Anyway is it just my eyes or does anyone else here find these popular settings (namely the warm ones) to be dark, brownish/reddish? There's nothing wrong with the TV as my current settings look fantastic to me so maybe it's just my eyes.

It's probably just your eyes. I'm using crispy's settings, and at first I thought they were too green, but once I adjusted they're great. IMO the best way to test out the settings in the thread is to use them for 2 days before changing anything.

Also, regarding your PS3, disable all of the resolutions except 1080p, then enable 1080p and see if it sticks. (You're using the latest PS3 firmware, right?)
post #654 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

One more question please for those using a PS3. I tried changing the video settings on the PS3 to 1080p output, but whenever I do, the screen goes blank and the TV shows a message that it's looking for signal, then I have to wait 30 seconds for it to automatically go back to the 1080i output setting. I have my PS3 connected via HDMI through my Emotiva pre/pro's switcher which does nothing to the signal, just passes it through. When I turn the PS3 on, the info box pops up showing 1080i/60Hz input, but when I put in a blu-ray movie it does change to 1920x1080 24Hz so I think it's working right and putting out 1080P when there's a blu disk in.

Anyone know if this is normal? Thanks!!

I have my ps3 output for hdmi set to automatic. when i turn it on and go into the xmb the tv displays 1920*1080/60hz = 1080p when i put in a bluray it does the same as yours. when I switch to hd cable it shows 1920*1080i/60hz = 1080i. the tv should display 1920*1080 not 1920*1080i when in the xmb if 1080p is enabled.
post #655 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desides View Post

It's probably just your eyes. I'm using cripsy's settings, and at first I thought they were too green, but once I adjusted they're great. IMO the best way to test out the settings in the thread is to use them for 2 days before changing anything.

Also, regarding your PS3, disable all of the resolutions except 1080p, then enable 1080p and see if it sticks. (You're using the latest PS3 firmware, right?)

Thanks, I'll give that a try, both for Cripsy's settings and the PS3. Any idea what post # is Cripsy's current settings? Yep I'm using latest PS3 firmware. In fact I think it updated itself just a day or two ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef jer View Post

I have my ps3 output for hdmi set to automatic. when i turn it on and go into the xmb the tv displays 1920*1080/60hz = 1080p when i put in a bluray it does the same as yours. when I switch to hd cable it shows 1920*1080i/60hz = 1080i. the tv should display 1920*1080 not 1920*1080i when in the xmb if 1080p is enabled.

That's where I have the problem, automatic. When I select Auto and go "right" to the next screen, that's when it blanks out for 30 seconds and I have to cancel it. Yeah when mine's on cable it shows 1080i as it does on PS3 without a disk, but as soon as I insert a Blu disk it goes to 1920 x 1080 (no "i" or "p").

Thanks guys!
post #656 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks, I'll give that a try, both for Cripsy's settings and the PS3. Any idea what post # is Cripsy's current settings? Yep I'm using latest PS3 firmware. In fact I think it updated itself just a day or two ago.

That's where I have the problem, automatic. When I select Auto and go "right" to the next screen, that's when it blanks out for 30 seconds and I have to cancel it. Yeah when mine's on cable it shows 1080i as it does on PS3 without a disk, but as soon as I insert a Blu disk it goes to 1920 x 1080 (no "i" or "p").

Thanks guys!

You should have no issues with it set to automatic as the xmb native resolution is 1080p and should display the same as blu ray with no i or p. would you mind trying to bypass the switcher and go directly from the ps3 to the tv and see what results you get. I know the switcher should make no difference but i always like to attempt to isolate the simplest answer first.

einsteinjb- when you go into the xmb, then settings, then display settings it will have video output settings below this it will state the current output resolution. what is this stating when you are set to 1080p?
post #657 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

can someone answer my question regarding PS3, RGB should be set to LIMITED? that gives better overall PQ?

oh and i have a question, i want to enable DIGITAL NR but for my CABLE TV Source only because i watch SD channels and i heared that it cleans up the pic a bit and makes it a lil nicer, but i seem to have a problem ,when i set DIGITAL NR to Auto or HIGH or whatever it enables it on ALL of my Sources(360 , ps3). why is that? its not possible to enable it ONLY for the CABLE TV source?
post #658 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

can someone answer my question regarding PS3, RGB should be set to LIMITED? that gives better overall PQ?

oh and i have a question, i want to enable DIGITAL NR but for my CABLE TV Source only because i watch SD channels and i heared that it cleans up the pic a bit and makes it a lil nicer, but i seem to have a problem ,when i set DIGITAL NR to Auto or HIGH or whatever it enables it on ALL of my Sources(360 , ps3). why is that? its not possible to enable it ONLY for the CABLE TV source?

That's weird. Mine only takes the change for that particular input and doesn't change the others. (Can't help you with the PS3 question, sorry.)
post #659 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

btw im going back to chelhydra's white balance settings, they give me an overall better picture than Crispy's white balance settings.
post #660 of 3237 Old 05-23-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

also i dont understand why when i enable DIGITAL NR on my cable source it enables it for my ps3 and 360 sources aswell, ??
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page