Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3237 Old 05-27-2008, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post

you might read this query i posted in the owners forum on the subject of game mode which no one has replied to yet:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13952414

bottom line is i feel as you do about this mode. i just want to understand how it works.

I do agree with your assesment. Sorry I didnt see your post in the other thread. After all the tweaking I did I hit that one button and was really surprised by what I saw. I guess it makes a little sense seeing the speed that todays video games run at on the set and all the colors and all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3237 Old 05-27-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
i have a question, i didnt try yet today but i THINK when i touched game mode for a split second before when i got my TV, the image looked washed out or TOO BRIGHT if i remember correct, it doesnt look washed out in ur opinion?
post #723 of 3237 Old 05-27-2008, 05:59 PM

I dont think so like I said and gteague also noticed it looked suprisingly close to the picture I had come up with and seemed to having a smoothing effect on the picture especially during motion like when I was watching Sportscenter in HD.
post #724 of 3237 Old 05-27-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

thats wiered, i dont see any settings that the game mode uses that we dont have,unless its some hidden setting that samsung enabled soley for that setting and its hidden in the service menu or something?
post #725 of 3237 Old 05-27-2008, 06:53 PM

What did you think of how it looked.
post #726 of 3237 Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

i dunno right now my brother is watching cable tv, it brightned up the picture like i thought it would, ill try it on a 360 game later on, btw hes watching an Standard Def show right now(family guy). but the thing that im worried about is that when i calibrated my setting i set the brightness accordinly using the patterns on my DVE Disc, now i dont have control on that so maybe im crushing blacks/whites?
post #727 of 3237 Old 05-28-2008, 04:40 AM

Hi people, my first post!

Tomorrow I will be getting my LE40A557 and have been looking through all 25 pages of this thread trying to find some nice settings.

Problem is theres so many, can any-one post a couple of sets of favourate calibrations which have been perfected?

I sit around 3 meters away from the TV and use it mainly for PS3 gaming and Blu-ray DVD's, I'm not a picture expert but I would like to get the post outta this screen!
post #728 of 3237 Old 05-28-2008, 01:20 PM

What advantage or disadvantage does naming the HDMI Input i use "A/V Receiver"? I run everything off one hdmi in from an Onkyo TX-SR805. I have a PS3, comcast HD-DVR. I noticed that naming it A/V Receiver enabled choices such as DNIe, and a couple others. Does naming it something else have any advantage over keeping it under the A/V label?

Thanks
post #729 of 3237 Old 05-28-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loowi_ashley View Post

Hi people, my first post!

Tomorrow I will be getting my LE40A557 and have been looking through all 25 pages of this thread trying to find some nice settings.

Problem is theres so many, can any-one post a couple of sets of favourate calibrations which have been perfected?

I sit around 3 meters away from the TV and use it mainly for PS3 gaming and Blu-ray DVD's, I'm not a picture expert but I would like to get the post outta this screen!

Any-one?
post #730 of 3237 Old 05-28-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isu1648 View Post

What advantage or disadvantage does naming the HDMI Input i use "A/V Receiver"? I run everything off one hdmi in from an Onkyo TX-SR805. I have a PS3, comcast HD-DVR. I noticed that naming it A/V Receiver enabled choices such as DNIe, and a couple others. Does naming it something else have any advantage over keeping it under the A/V label?

Thanks

whoa there, naming the source "A/V Receiver" gave u the DNIe option? i dont think so, the DNIe setting is ONLY visible when using the dynamic setting and it can be turned on and off , as far as im concerned.
post #731 of 3237 Old 05-28-2008, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loowi_ashley View Post

Any-one?

Here are a few.

outsiderwv modified cripsy settings
cripsys settings
thebeginnings standard settings
chelhydras settings

I believe that is about it as far as the most used go....I think anyway.
post #732 of 3237 Old 05-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSUB View Post

I am going through an Outlaw 1070 reciever. I found a lip sync delay setting which seems to help but I noticed that the amount of delay needed varies from movie to movie.

I would venture a guess that the receiver is more the source of your lip sync issues than anything else. I would search for a thread about your receiver and see what they have to say. My receiver is also prone to lip sync issues and is well documented in the owners thread. Good luck..

Justin
post #733 of 3237 Old 05-28-2008, 08:11 PM

I was wanting to see if anyone had tried out the "game" entertainment mode that we were discussing last night. I still am liking it after a day of trying it out.
post #734 of 3237 Old 05-28-2008, 09:23 PM

I was at BB and the have a Blu-ray HDTV calibration disc in their Blu-ray movie section. It has a 2008 copy write, so it fairly new. Has anyone tried this Blu-ray disc. Just wondering if it is just something good to own.
Link below is to the disc's website. BB does not have it on there website, or at least I could not find it. I found it by accident when browsing the Blu-rays at my local BB.

http://www.videoessentials.com/program_notes.php

http://www.videoessentials.com/DVE_HDBasics.php
post #735 of 3237 Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

I think a DVE disk is good to have. It definitely helps you in dialing the correct settings (there are some settings that are very difficult to set without the right test pattern, especially the color/tint controls). You may check some online sites like Amazon for pricing too.

(I haven't used it personally, but if you search this thread, several users have used it.)

I'd get one if I wasn't going to go overboard and get a colorimeter (which should be here Friday!).
post #736 of 3237 Old 05-28-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

thats wiered, i dont see any settings that the game mode uses that we dont have,unless its some hidden setting that samsung enabled soley for that setting and its hidden in the service menu or something?

Everybody is green help! So, any idea how to get into the service menu so I can copy one of your guys' non-destroyed settings to return my set to its glory? I don't want the Best Buy Geek Squad guy near my TV again
post #737 of 3237 Old 05-28-2008, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Update (LN52a550):
Power usage ~100 watts at backlight=7, Esav=HI.
Not bad for 52"
Brightness needs to be at least 45, blacks muddy below this value.

Initial criticisms:
Sound horrible, but improved with Rye's tweak.
Video seems even more noisy than usual Sammy.
Just Scan with Pace cable box shows green lines spanning left and top of screen.
Motion handling inferior to 4661.
Semi-matte finish shows reflections, minor distraction.
Panning on light background shows minor "dirty film on screen" effect.

Additional:
Dark performance exceeds 4661.
Gloss is a minor distraction but lamps and LN-T4061 computer monitor behind set must be off for undistracted viewing.
MPEG compression artifacts are unusually visible on this set.
Just Scan is showing vertical left and horizontal top green line about 2 pixels wide from Pace cable box via HDMI.
S-PVA is still crushing blacks.
Remote IR interference with PACE box, TV must be on at least 1/2 hour before remote on cable box operates, what a PITA.
NHL on VS: motion artifacting creates some eye fatigue.
post #738 of 3237 Old 05-28-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev4Bama View Post

I was wanting to see if anyone had tried out the "game" entertainment mode that we were discussing last night. I still am liking it after a day of trying it out.

I find it too bright. I play in standard so I can adjust picture settings.
If anyone plays in game mode and finds it too bright, you can adjust the brightness (some what) by adjusting the energy savings mode to low, med, or high. Has anyone tried this? I tried this and not sure what I think, yet.
post #739 of 3237 Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrights View Post

Everybody is green help! So, any idea how to get into the service menu so I can copy one of your guys' non-destroyed settings to return my set to its glory? I don't want the Best Buy Geek Squad guy near my TV again

Did you try the instructions in the A650 thread to get into the service menu and do a factory reset?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13768070

WARNING: I have not performed those steps myself. I have no idea if the service menu in the 550 is the same as the 650. I am too scared to enter the service menu myself. I would be very very careful and read this thread too about how to navigate http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=777497&page=3.
post #740 of 3237 Old 05-28-2008, 10:12 PM

This might have been asked before, but what is "blue mode only" for on this set under the picture options?
post #741 of 3237 Old 05-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski510 View Post

This might have been asked before, but what is "blue mode only" for on this set under the picture options?

It only shows things in blue, which is used for setting things like tint and color using test patterns (like from DVE or AVS HD 709).
post #742 of 3237 Old 05-29-2008, 12:33 AM

so what's the best calibration setting for a ln52a550
post #743 of 3237 Old 05-29-2008, 01:37 AM

Hey guys,

If anyone here has Comcast HD, can you tell me what settings you are using on your actual HD box as well as the calibration settings on your TV? By your cable box settings, I am referring to what you have for resolutions for 4:3 override etc.

Also, I can't change "HDMI Black" setting even though my HD box is connected to my LN40A550 using HDMI.

Thanks guys!
cr0
post #744 of 3237 Old 05-29-2008, 01:47 AM

So far as I can tell, this whole forum is based upon personal user's experiences right? Is there like an official calibration plan that I can go off of instead of trying everyone of the mentioned calibration here which is a lot... sorry so bare with me. thanks, LN52A550
post #745 of 3237 Old 05-29-2008, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski510 View Post

I find it too bright. I play in standard so I can adjust picture settings.
If anyone plays in game mode and finds it too bright, you can adjust the brightness (some what) by adjusting the energy savings mode to low, med, or high. Has anyone tried this? I tried this and not sure what I think, yet.

I find it extremely too bright and over powering. I use my xbox 360 settings for playing games. Game mode on this set just isn't that great IMO.
post #746 of 3237 Old 05-29-2008, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2win413 View Post

So far as I can tell, this whole forum is based upon personal user's experiences right? Is there like an official calibration plan that I can go off of instead of trying everyone of the mentioned calibration here which is a lot... sorry so bare with me. thanks, LN52A550

I listed several to try above. There is no single calibration that everyone uses or any kind of calibration plan. Each TV is different as well as each person, this is why there is no single, "universal" calibration setting.
post #747 of 3237 Old 05-29-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

I listed several to try above. There is no single calibration that everyone uses or any kind of calibration plan. Each TV is different as well as each person, this is why there is no single, "universal" calibration setting.

I was thinking that by plan he meant test patterns, programs, ways of coming up with a good calibration whether it be instruments or programs. i.e. did people just use their eyes or did they use a disk or professional etc.

In the end it's user preference but surely there are methods to help guide those preferences?
post #748 of 3237 Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

While each user has their own preferences, I think there's a few things everybody should do. If you have your PC hooked up to your TV via HDMI, you can use some of the test patterns located on http://www.w6rz.net/. If you don't have a PC, but have a bluray/HD DVD player, you can pick up the appropriate version of DVE (digital video essentials), or there's a DVD version as well. If you have a DVD with THX optimizer on it, that works too.

Or if you have a computer and can burn a DVD and have a bluray player or an HD DVD player, there's a free calibration disc in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496.

You'd probably get the biggest gain out of setting your brightness and contrast correctly. DVE has some guided tutorial that tells you which pattern to use and what to look for, but basically you look at a grayscale ramp (search the w6rz site for ramp) and set your brightness control so your blackest value is near the dot, and the whitest value is near the dot. People will argue about blacker than black and whiter than white, but I'm not going to get into it here.

The other pattern you can use is the flashing color bars in conjunction with the "blue mode" in the picture options to set color and tint, but I found it doesn't work that well.

I'd suggest reading through the AVS HD 709 thread if you're going to use that disc. DVE will just guide you through what you need to do.

This won't help you much on TV sources, since you can't display test patterns, but you can take the brightness and contrast settings you got from a calibration disc and tweak them a little based on what you see in TV content.

You can't set white balance and color space settings correctly without a measuring device, so you can either leave them at default or take a setting from this thread. Or you can just fiddle with it until it looks good to you.

Some of the other options, like dynamic contrast, energy saver, and backlight, are more up to personal preference. I wouldn't set dynamic contrast above low though, it starts clipping details above that setting. I also wouldn't use the black adjust setting because it crushes blacks (i.e. you lose shadow detail).

In the end, it's really all about what you want to see out of your TV. You should, after changing some settings, look at some movie you really like and see if it makes it better or not. Purists will argue that you need to calibrate your TV to a standard to see a movie exactly as the director intended it, but I say just go with what you're happy with.

If you really want to calibrate your TV, you'll have to do something like what's described in this guide. I'm actually going to attempt to run through that this weekend (I'll have my colorimeter tomorrow). I am one of those people that wants my TV calibrated to see a movie as it's intended to be seen, and I have the patience (stupidity?) to try to do it myself .
post #749 of 3237 Old 05-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes,

Its called hiring a professional.

Good luck,

Justin
post #750 of 3237 Old 05-29-2008, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version