Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3237 Old 04-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Those settings make my TV look off. Someone had some that looked a lot better on mine. Have to go searching for it in the other thread.

Watching Dallas and NO on TNT. There's some times when the shots are washed out and there's just too much blue/green in those shots.

My problem is, I don't know how to make this look right to me.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3237 Old 04-22-2008, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by instigator008 View Post

That is a very good point. I tried these settings and found them a bit too bright for me. I think that your individual room configuration i.e. ambient light also plays a big part. I wish there were night and day presets!

I also tried out Cripsy's settings and found the picture to have a bit too much of a greenish tint for my taste.
post #63 of 3237 Old 04-22-2008, 04:56 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post

I also tried out Cripsy's settings and found the picture to have a bit too much of a greenish tint for my taste.

same here! maybe because he had it calibrated while it was running through his A/V receiver ? only thing i can come up with!
post #64 of 3237 Old 04-22-2008, 04:58 PM

Cronuss came up with these settings which i really like. I lowered the backlight to 7 and it's all gravy baby!!

Mode: movie
Backlight: 9
Contrast: 97
Brightness: 47
Sharpness: 20
Color: 52
Tint: 50/50

Detailed Setting
-------------------
Black Adjust: low
Dynamic Contrast: medium
Gamme: -1
Color Space: auto

White Balance
-------------------

Flesh Tone: +1
Edge Enhancement: on or off... probably on
xvYCC: off (grayed out)

Picture Options:
---------------------
Color Tone: warm1
Size: 16:9
Digital NR: auto
DNIe: off (grayed out)
HDMI Black Level: low
Film Mode: off
post #65 of 3237 Old 04-22-2008, 05:58 PM

I made a few adjustments to cripsys and found settings I am in love with, maybe you'll like'em too, hardly different but looks amazing for HD hockey at least, switching to normal I find is much prettier than warm2 for regular tv watching.

Any reason most people don't use it? Maybe I'm missing something.

Also, what's the difference between setting to 16:9 or to Just Scan? I have it on Scan, and don't notice any problems.

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 6
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 32
Color: 62
Tint: 57/43

Detailed Setting
-------------------
Black Adjust: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Medium
Gamme: 0
Color Space: Native

White Balance
-------------------

Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: On
xvYCC: off (grayed out)

Picture Options:
---------------------
Color Tone: Normal
Size: Just Scan
Digital NR: Off
DNIe: off (grayed out)
HDMI Black Level: Normal
Film Mode: off
post #66 of 3237 Old 04-22-2008, 06:57 PM

Dynamic Mode
Backlight 4
Contrast 84
Brightness 52
Sharpness 50
Color 51
Tint(G/R) G55/R45 --- Used a color lens to correct the red

Picture Options
Color Tone - Normal (Cool 1 was too Blue)
Digital NR - Off (This setting has lots of smearing and ghosting)
DNIe - On (This setting really brings life to this set.)
Film Mode - Auto

Energy Savings -Off

After doing extensive testing on all, I thought mine looked outstanding on this set.
post #67 of 3237 Old 04-22-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeginning View Post

Dynamic Mode
Backlight 4
Contrast 84
Brightness 52
Sharpness 50
Color 51

Picture Options
Digital NR - Off (This setting has lots of trails and ghosting)
Film Mode - Auto

Energy Savings -Off

After doing extensive testing on all, I thought mine looked outstanding on this set.

I actually just switched to yours, and turned the backlight up one and I think that will be my setting for a while, looks pretty stunning. It has a nicer color tone than my 'movie' setting based on cripsy's, more realistic sort of 'pop' to the jerseys and flesh tones look a little nicer on the players. Nice one! I plan to use it for TV watching definitely.

Have you used it much on Blu Ray or for gaming purposes? I feel confident with this as a TV setting for a while, but I am still looking for the ideal gaming settings. Using component Wii and PS2 at the moment and they look fine but I know they could look a lot better, it's a little frustrating, haha
post #68 of 3237 Old 04-22-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myers_37 View Post

I actually just switched to yours, and turned the backlight up one and I think that will be my setting for a while, looks pretty stunning. It has a nicer color tone than my 'movie' setting based on cripsy's, more realistic sort of 'pop' to the jerseys and flesh tones look a little nicer on the players. Nice one! I plan to use it for TV watching definitely.

Have you used it much on Blu Ray or for gaming purposes? I feel confident with this as a TV setting for a while, but I am still looking for the ideal gaming settings. Using component Wii and PS2 at the moment and they look fine but I know they could look a lot better, it's a little frustrating, haha

New to the board and bought this TV just last weekend. I've been messing around with the settings for a couple days now and I enjoy TheBeginning's settings the most too.
post #69 of 3237 Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:

I'm gonna make a few more adjustments to make them perfect. Still for now they look great. I play 360 alot, and it seems to be great on that, i'm using HD-DVD and that also looks stunning. So no problems, with cripsy's settings, seemed to have smearing or at least it made it more noticable.
post #70 of 3237 Old 04-23-2008, 05:18 AM

Quote:

Dynamic Mode
Backlight 4
Contrast 84
Brightness 52
Sharpness 50
Color 51

Picture Options
Film Mode - Auto

Energy Savings -Off

Very nice. I'm using these settings on my A530 and it looks pretty darn good!

Thanks TheBeginning, great job!
post #71 of 3237 Old 04-23-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:

I'm gonna make a few more adjustments to make them perfect. Still for now they look great. I play 360 alot, and it seems to be great on that, i'm using HD-DVD and that also looks stunning. So no problems, with cripsy's settings, seemed to have smearing or at least it made it more noticable.

Again keep in mind that every TV is different. (mine is LN52A550 MFD March 2008) Also the 52" will vary in settings to the 46" etc. My calibration was done in a pitch black room. Accoriding to the software, the meter read all the correct color tones, grey scales etc. I watch Hockey, play Xbox, etc.. There is no smearing, and it is bright enough for an average lit room. Yes I do go through a Yamaha receiver, so it is possbile that it is affecting the signal in some way.
post #72 of 3237 Old 04-23-2008, 12:57 PM

I just have a quick question. I asked in another thread but got no response. I have been messing around with some of these settings even though I have an LN32A330. I have just been using them as a starting point, but they look pretty good so far. Unfortunately, I don't have an advanced picture menu on my TV, so I can't mess with those options unless I go in to the service menu (I'm assuming).

My question is this...how can I make Movie mode appear less washed out? I have it set up on normal color tone (I didn't really like the tint of Warm1), and the colors are pretty realistic. The only problem I have is that the picture looks slightly washed out.

When I use Standard picture mode, the colors are a little more vibrant but also a little off, especially on people's faces. Also, the blacks are deeper on Standard mode, but I lose a lot of shadow detail. Something that should be slightly obscured by shadows appears completely black, whereas in Movie mode, I can still see the details of what I am looking at, but it looks a little washed out.

So that's basically my dilemma. Is there any way to get my colors a little more vibrant (but still realistic) in Movie mode without sacrificing shadow quality? This really only pertains to my settings while watching TV (Verizon FiOS w/ HDMI hookup), My settings for video games are pretty much how I like them right now.
post #73 of 3237 Old 04-23-2008, 01:29 PM

Hello All,

I am new to HDTV and I purchased my 46 inch 550 series a couple of days back. I have real trouble calibrating it and my SD is pathetic. HD looks nice and I am not sure how else I can calibrate this TV.

I tried all the settings posted in this thread and they dont look good on my TV at all. I was also wondering how do you identify the manufactured date for these TV's and also
what else settings I can manipulate so this telivision can atleast be watchable for me.

I have a new Comcast DVR and HDMI cable which is more than a year old. I am not sure whether I need the new 1.3 version of HDMI cable to improve my TV. I tried Component cables too but that was not of much help.

Please help me....

Thanks,
Kelly
post #74 of 3237 Old 04-23-2008, 03:39 PM

I am trying to use the settings from post 1499 but I can't locate anywhere I can input the proper inputs for "my color control" section can someone tell me how I can get to that screen please???
post #75 of 3237 Old 04-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipset121 View Post

I am trying to use the settings from post 1499 but I can't locate anywhere I can input the proper inputs for "my color control" section can someone tell me how I can get to that screen please???

I would recommend using cripsy66 or thebeginning settings as a base as they are for the a550. The infamous 1499 settings are from the 65 series last year so the menus are not the same. The color settings for this tv are under detailed settings and are not available if you are set to dynamic mode.
post #76 of 3237 Old 04-23-2008, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous1 View Post

Cronuss came up with these settings which i really like. I lowered the backlight to 7 and it's all gravy baby!!

Backlight of 7 is still wild to me. It really hurts the black-level. But if your set has to compete with sunlight I can understand .
post #77 of 3237 Old 04-23-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekode View Post

Backlight of 7 is still wild to me. It really hurts the black-level. But if your set has to compete with sunlight I can understand .

Yet again... My TV was calibrated in complete pitch black, and a backlight of 7 gave the best results. If you're TV is in Dynamic mode, then it may make a difference..
post #78 of 3237 Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 AM

Am I missing something here:
Is it not possible to calibrate each input individually?
I just calibrated Component1, then HDMI3, I went back to Component1 and some of the settings had changed!
Whats up with that?
post #79 of 3237 Old 04-24-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_togo View Post

Hello All,

I am new to HDTV and I purchased my 46 inch 550 series a couple of days back. I have real trouble calibrating it and my SD is pathetic. HD looks nice and I am not sure how else I can calibrate this TV.

I tried all the settings posted in this thread and they dont look good on my TV at all. I was also wondering how do you identify the manufactured date for these TV's and also
what else settings I can manipulate so this telivision can atleast be watchable for me.

I have a new Comcast DVR and HDMI cable which is more than a year old. I am not sure whether I need the new 1.3 version of HDMI cable to improve my TV. I tried Component cables too but that was not of much help.

Please help me....

Thanks,
Kelly

Kelly - how close are you to the TV? SD is, well, so so - it's likely not the TV, it's the quality of the content. If you are really close, it is going to look grainy and kind of, enh. I sit 8 feet from my 46 and some of it just looks nasty.

Someone else mentioned this - try changing the picture mode ('p size' button near the bottom of the remote) to 4:3 when watching SD channels. It will give you big bars on the side, but could improve the picture a little.

As far as the cable, I'm no expert, but my guess is that changing it won't really help with SD channels.

If you want to play around with settings, I'd say use 'movie' mode with some of the calibrations here for your HD content. The play with 'standard' mode reducing sharpness, turning off edge enhancement; lowering the dynamic contrast and some other things to see if you can get something you can work with for your SD channels. If you get something then you can just switch modes when you want to watch SD channels.

Oh, and demand more HD (non-compressed!) from Comcast!
post #80 of 3237 Old 04-24-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLJester View Post

Am I missing something here:
Is it not possible to calibrate each input individually?
I just calibrated Component1, then HDMI3, I went back to Component1 and some of the settings had changed!
Whats up with that?

Nope. You can olny calibrate 3 settings. Dynamic,Standard, and movie. Any input you are on will have one of those 3 settings, thats it.
post #81 of 3237 Old 04-24-2008, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cripsy66 View Post

Yet again... My TV was calibrated in complete pitch black, and a backlight of 7 gave the best results. If you're TV is in Dynamic mode, then it may make a difference..

It could be I don't know how to adjust an LCD but when adjusting the backlight that high it boosts the black levels too high for my tastes (in a very dark room). There is an interaction here between the brightness setting and the black-light setting and I am not sure which one makes the most sense to adjust first...

Note: I wasn't trying to be mean, I do appreciate you posting your ISF settings.
post #82 of 3237 Old 04-24-2008, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nope. You can olny calibrate 3 settings. Dynamic,Standard, and movie. Any input you are on will have one of those 3 settings, thats it.

This is incorrect. You can adjust the movie setting for each input and same goes for dynamic and standard. Each input will save its own settings.
post #83 of 3237 Old 04-24-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

This is incorrect. You can adjust the movie setting for each input and same goes for dynamic and standard. Each input will save its own settings.

My mistake, I just tried it and you can. I was thinking about my old Sony TV that I had.
post #84 of 3237 Old 04-24-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:

I had to take a little more red out through the tint option but other than that it looks good on my set also.

I'll try it out with the ps3 later.
post #85 of 3237 Old 04-24-2008, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hello everyone how are you all doing? im so happy i just got my 46' Samsung 1080P LCD aswell ,its the LN46A550, AMAZING TV guys. i set it to the settings that the user above gave, his nickname is the TheBeginning. i think the picture looks amazing, i set these settings for my Cable TV, my ps3 and my 360 components, i have a question guys, you guys use that setting for the 360 and ps3 aswell? did anyone find any better looking setting? i looked around and i see that there is the one from Crispy66 and Thebegining so yea and i read that crispy's looks greenish so i just tried thebegining's settings.

so guys, is there any better settings you have encountered for the PS3 and 360? BTW, none of you guys use the ENTERTAINMENT MODEs thats available right? (i.e the GAME mode) i tried it and the picture looks more bright in a way but then i dont know if its a good set of settings because its just a preset from samsung, you guys say thebegining's setting is better to use yea?

cheers
post #86 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 04:02 AM

Beginning - Thanks for posting your settings. Got one question...

Other people have posted their Detailed Setting & White Balance settings... but you didnt. Is that because you just kept them the way that it came out of the box?

I should have my TV soon... so I'll know more about what I'm writing about soon!
post #87 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

Quote:

My mistake, I just tried it and you can. I was thinking about my old Sony TV that I had.

I just tried again - and it deffinately changes the settings for both inputs.

Using DYNAMIC on HDMI3 I change this to use DNIe. I then went back to COMPONENT1 (which uses Dynamic) and and DNIe was now ON! - Turned it OFF, back to HDMI3 and its now OFF...
post #88 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
post #89 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:

Dynamic Mode
Backlight 4
Contrast 84
Brightness 52
Sharpness 50
Color 51

Picture Options
Film Mode - Auto

Energy Savings -Off

Quote:

I'm using TheBeginning's base with myers_37's little mod. Looks really good to me. I'm using this for both the cable box (component - ordered hdmi cable) and my Macbook pro (dvi-hdmi). Watched the Rockets game on TNTHD yesterday and it looked great!

I tried cripsy66's settings but they seemed a little too green to me.
post #90 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 06:25 AM

I tried cripsy's settings and they just didn't do it for me, so I went back the the #1499 for now. May try TheBeginning's tonight.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page