post #901 of 3237 Old 06-10-2008, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

When I change channels on my LN40A550, connected to the Motora DCH6416
DVR/Cable box via HDMI, my screen shows the program that's on the channel I change to, but only for a few seconds, then I see "searching for signal" for a few seconds, then I get the program back. Is this normal? Why would it show the program on the new channel, then start searching for the signal? Is it a matter of it's "fine tuning" the station in? Does anyone else see this happening when changing channels with a cable box?
Thanks for any insight on this,
Ghpr13

The TV will show "Searching For Signal" if it's changing display resolution to match whatever is being output by your cable box. If you change channel from a 1080i channel to a 720p channel, the TV needs to change its display resolution, and that takes a few seconds. It's normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG101 View Post

Does anyone have a good calibration that's in Standard mode? I don't like the filter that movie mode puts over the screen, it just darkens and blurs detail imo. I'm new to HDTVs and would like help.. thanks.

Movie Mode doesn't apply a single filter. On the contrary, the point of using Movie Mode is that it removes the post-processing that Dynamic and Standard modes apply to give the image more "pop." People are used to over-bright and over-saturated images, so companies oblige them. Movie Mode with clicq's settings is how the image is SUPPOSED to look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3237 Old 06-10-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicq View Post

HDMI Black Level = Normal (note: this is probably only for PCs, use low if you're unsure)

You should also use Normal if you have a PS3 with RGB Range set to Full.

If RGB Range is set to Limited on your PS3, then set HDMI Black Level to Low.
post #903 of 3237 Old 06-10-2008, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

I wasn't referring to the lighting in your room. Studio lighting. You can clearly see a difference because of the way he has leaned or moved. But yes, I think B looks more natural.

Well B is Normal Which proves my point that we should consider Clicq's settings with Normal instead of Warm 2 ...?
post #904 of 3237 Old 06-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desides View Post

The TV will show "Searching For Signal" if it's changing display resolution to match whatever is being output by your cable box. If you change channel from a 1080i channel to a 720p channel, the TV needs to change its display resolution, and that takes a few seconds. It's normal.

Movie Mode doesn't apply a single filter. On the contrary, the point of using Movie Mode is that it removes the post-processing that Dynamic and Standard modes apply to give the image more "pop." People are used to over-bright and over-saturated images, so companies oblige them. Movie Mode with clicq's settings is how the image is SUPPOSED to look.

Desides,
Thanks for that info...that clears things up for me.
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #905 of 3237 Old 06-11-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:

Does anyone else have some background grain when watching blu-ray on their ps3?

I don't have a PS3, but I can say that I see some grain from time to time when I watch HD-DVDs on my Xbox 360. From what I understand, what we're seeing is the actual grain on the film that the movie was shot on.
post #906 of 3237 Old 06-11-2008, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCocain View Post

Well B is Normal Which proves my point that we should consider Clicq's settings with Normal instead of Warm 2 ...?

Warm 2 is how his set is calibrated and it is what I am sticking with. A correctly calibrated set will always look best. I am sticking with clicq's settings.
post #907 of 3237 Old 06-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does anyone else have some background grain when watching blu-ray on their ps3?

I thought the brighter the picture, the better... so why turn down the backlight?

By background grain, are you talking about film grain? Film grain is in most movies, so if that's what you're seeing, it's expected (it's more visible on high-def because of the high resolution).

There are 2 reasons to turn down the backlight. 1) the backlight can actually be too bright if you're watching in a dark room after your eyes have adjusted to the darkness (think of turning on the light if you wake up in the middle of the night). 2) On most LCD TVs, the backlight has some effect on the level of black; if the backlight is set really high, the blacks are brighter than they should be (instead of being black, they look a little gray). Thus, setting the backlight is a bit of a compromise between good black levels and brightness.
post #908 of 3237 Old 06-11-2008, 08:46 AM

I have been trying to use clicq's settings for my 52 inch A550. Iam having some problems. My warm 1 and 2 settings are grayed-out for Analog, Digital and HD channels. Also, after I put in the new settings and then back out using the exit button on the remote, the new settings will last for a few hours, but eventually will reset to the original settings. I chose home use during the initial set-up. What might I be doing wrong.
post #909 of 3237 Old 06-11-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaquitre View Post

I have been trying to use clicq's settings for my 52 inch A550. Iam having some problems. My warm 1 and 2 settings are grayed-out for Analog, Digital and HD channels. Also, after I put in the new settings and then back out using the exit button on the remote, the new settings will last for a few hours, but eventually will reset to the original settings. I chose home use during the initial set-up. What might I be doing wrong.

Your tv may be in Shop mode. This is what they use in stores so people can change the settings and when they leave the tv will return to how it was previously. Check philips website under your tv model and it'll tell you what to do to get it out of that mode. Their FAQ database is quite large now.

to save some time:
First, confirm your TV is in Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode:

1. Press the INFO button on your remote control. A list of settings appears.
2. See if the Picture Mode setting is set to Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode.

There are three methods for removing your TV from Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode. If the first method does not work, try the second or third method.
Method 1

To remove your TV from Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode, follow these steps:

1. Press the Volume button on the side panel of your TV. If your TV does not have a side panel, press the Volume button on the front panel. The TV displays the volume bar.
2. Press the Menu button on the side panel of your TV for about seven seconds. Again, if your TV does not have a side panel, press the Menu button on the front panel. If Dynamic or Dynamic Mode is displayed on the screen, your TV has been removed from Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode.

Note: You may want to press the INFO button on your remote again to confirm you TV is no longer in Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode.

Method 2

1. Press the Volume button on your remote. The TV displays the volume bar.
2. Press the Menu button on the side panel of your TV for about seven seconds. Again, if your TV does not have a side panel, press the Menu button on the front panel. If Dynamic or Dynamic Mode is displayed on the screen, your TV has been removed from Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode.

Note: You may want to press the INFO button on your remote again to confirm you TV is no longer in Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode.

Method 3

1. Press and hold the Volume button on your TV. The TV displays the volume bar.
2. As you are holding the Volume button, press the Menu button on the side panel of your TV for about seven seconds. Again, if your TV does not have a side panel, press the Menu button on the front panel. If Dynamic or Dynamic Mode is displayed on the screen, your TV has been removed from Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode.

Important: If none of the methods work, please call Samsung Customer Care at 1-800-Samsung (1-800-726-7864) any day between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. for additional help. Have the model number and serial number of your TV on hand when you call.
post #910 of 3237 Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCocain View Post

I tried clicqs with warm 2 but I just don't know. Some shows looked good, others were terrible. Like the NBA finals didn't look right at all with this. So, what I did was I placed clicq's settings under standard mode (normal instead of warm2 since warm 1/2 are greyed out in standard) then basically used Chel's settings in movie mode.
I've been switching between the two trying to figure out which I like the best. Both now seem to work nice.

I had clicqs on for the entire day trying to get use to them but it just didn't sit right. I guess my mind of colors is a bit too jaded.
post #911 of 3237 Old 06-11-2008, 11:09 AM

I agree, I tried clicqs settings last night for 4 or 5 hours but found myself going back to Chels (with warm1 instead of warm2) halfway through the NBA finals game. Chels seem to have a bit more punch to them, which is the way I like the picture, so I may be biased.
post #912 of 3237 Old 06-11-2008, 12:56 PM

I'm going to be buying another HDMI cable and was wondering if I should get a the cheaper 20 dollar ones at walmart, or get the more expensive hdmi cables at BB... does it even matter?? Do cheaper ones give off a worse signal or something?
post #913 of 3237 Old 06-11-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:

I'm going to be buying another HDMI cable and was wondering if I should get a the cheaper 20 dollar ones at walmart, or get the more expensive hdmi cables at BB... does it even matter?? Do cheaper ones give off a worse signal or something?

This is all you need:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #914 of 3237 Old 06-11-2008, 01:44 PM

It's a digital signal, it's not like any 0's are gonna be flipped to 1's. Pay no more for HDMI than you would for network or USB cable.
post #915 of 3237 Old 06-11-2008, 01:49 PM

wow, thats mega-cheap... thanks for the link mike =D

Has anyone used Clicqs setting on their xbox360/ps3 for games? If so, any good?
post #916 of 3237 Old 06-11-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Depends on the cable length. If you need 6 feet or less, go as cheap as you can. It'll be fine. If you need longer than 6 feet, you may want to consider paying a little more. But never buy a Monster cable.
post #917 of 3237 Old 06-11-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Has anyone used Clicqs setting on their xbox360/ps3 for games? If so, any good?

I tried Clicqs settings for both ps3 and xbox360. The ps3 looked great but the xbox360 seemed washed out so I raised the back light to 7 and it was fine. I actually prefer that setting on 7 and sharpness at 10, others are just like his settings.
post #918 of 3237 Old 06-11-2008, 11:13 PM

Are you guys using "Just Scan" on the TV's size option? I'm assuming that this adjusts the TV to the correct size that's received from the TV signal. My HD channels are wide screen, while my SD are 4:3. However, the SD channels show a line of static at the top of the screen, similar to the snow on old TVs. Do any of you get this line at the top of the picture? To fix it, I just put the TV on 16:9, any pitfalls in this?
post #919 of 3237 Old 06-11-2008, 11:17 PM

Picked up my PS3 at the midnight launch of MGS4. Eagerly awaiting clicq's PS3 settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtigerME View Post

Are you guys using "Just Scan" on the TV's size option? I'm assuming that this adjusts the TV to the correct size that's received from the TV signal.

Yes, Just Scan is the best option. It will present the full and uncropped picture, whereas the other options will zoom in on the picture thereby eliminating the edges.
post #920 of 3237 Old 06-12-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:

Yes, Just Scan is the best option. It will present the full and uncropped picture, whereas the other options will zoom in on the picture thereby eliminating the edges.

I would like to use the "Just Scan" option, but I've noticed many of the HD channels I view regularly show some significant static towards the top of the screen. And yes, I've manually adjusted the image up as far as it will go, yet some of the static remains.

The channel that's the worst offender is The NFL Network, channel # 212 on DirecTV. Anyone else with DirecTV experience this problem when viewing certain HD channels with "Just Scan" employed?
post #921 of 3237 Old 06-12-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetxstang View Post

I would like to use the "Just Scan" option, but I've noticed many of the HD channels I view regularly show some significant static towards the top of the screen. And yes, I've manually adjusted the image up as far as it will go, yet some of the static remains.

The channel that's the worst offender is The NFL Network, channel # 212 on DirecTV. Anyone else with DirecTV experience this problem when viewing certain HD channels with "Just Scan" employed?

The only channel I see with that sort of static is Science Channel HD, and even then it's only in some commercials. Channel 284 on DirecTV.

Every other channel is fine. Are you sure you adjusted the image correctly? You can only adjust the image when you push the P.Size button on your remote and the Just Scan text box is displayed. When the box goes away, you lose the ability to adjust the image.
post #922 of 3237 Old 06-12-2008, 08:49 AM

I get the static on several channels and have just got in the habit of adjusting the screen position under just scan everytime it gets too bad. It is a pain, but either you adjust it manually or you use the 16:9 and loose part of the picture and some quality.
post #923 of 3237 Old 06-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Depends on the cable length. If you need 6 feet or less, go as cheap as you can. It'll be fine. If you need longer than 6 feet, you may want to consider paying a little more. But never buy a Monster cable.

I don't think monoprice sells cables that are too long for their capabilities... I'd just look for the cheapest cable that is long enough, period.
post #924 of 3237 Old 06-12-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:

The only channel I see with that sort of static is Science Channel HD, and even then it's only in some commercials. Channel 284 on DirecTV.

Every other channel is fine. Are you sure you adjusted the image correctly? You can only adjust the image when you push the P.Size button on your remote and the Just Scan text box is displayed. When the box goes away, you lose the ability to adjust the image.

Thank you for the reply, Desides. Yes, I'm certain I'm adjusting the image properly. I appreciate your suggestion, however. I quickly learned that once you press the P.Size button and select "Just Scan," you have but a moment to start adjusting the image or else the option disappears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hought41 View Post

I get the static on several channels and have just got in the habit of adjusting the screen position under just scan everytime it gets too bad. It is a pain, but either you adjust it manually or you use the 16:9 and loose part of the picture and some quality.

Thanks for the reply, hought41. Yes, it is a pain having to manually adjust the picture from time to time. I've decided to bite the bullet and use the "Just Scan" option instead of 16:9. If a channel I want to watch is being ornery, I'll simply switch it to 16:9, then return to "Just Scan" once I leave the channel.
post #925 of 3237 Old 06-12-2008, 01:46 PM

I almost forgot: I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, particularly those who have posted their personal calibration settings and endured the scrutiny of others. I read every page in this thread, from start to finish, without taking a break.

As as new member to AVS, it's a pleasure (and surprise) to find such a knowledgeable group of people who are so willing to share information with one another.
post #926 of 3237 Old 06-13-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetxstang View Post

I almost forgot: I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, particularly those who have posted their personal calibration settings and endured the scrutiny of others. I read every page in this thread, from start to finish, without taking a break.

As as new member to AVS, it's a pleasure (and surprise) to find such a knowledgeable group of people that are so willing to share information with one another.

Agreed. Especially Outsider, Cripsy, Chellhydra, TheBeginning and Clicq - great help. Thanks guys.

Looking forward to Clicqs PS3s setting although (like me) he's probably busy playing MGS4!!
post #927 of 3237 Old 06-13-2008, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBee41 View Post

Agreed. Especially Outsider, Cripsy, Chellhydra, TheBeginning and Clicq - great help. Thanks guys.

Looking forward to Clicqs PS3s setting although (like me) he's probably busy playing MGS4!!

Yeap, i'm waiting for clicq's settings for the PS3 too.
post #928 of 3237 Old 06-13-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtigerME View Post

Are you guys using "Just Scan" on the TV's size option? I'm assuming that this adjusts the TV to the correct size that's received from the TV signal. My HD channels are wide screen, while my SD are 4:3. However, the SD channels show a line of static at the top of the screen, similar to the snow on old TVs. Do any of you get this line at the top of the picture? To fix it, I just put the TV on 16:9, any pitfalls in this?

i personally use the Just Scan option on my 32" 550 for everything except my cable box, only because whenever you deal with an outside source there's always a chance that the edges are not going to be perfect. and usually, when it does happen, it's pretty much always the top edge...

the overscan on the 550 when you use the 16:9 setting is only about 2%, which is very little, and on a cable box or satellite box i wouldn't even worry about it...

and for the record, does anyone know of or has anyone seen any good VGA settings for the 550? everything i've seen is pretty much for HDMI...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
post #929 of 3237 Old 06-13-2008, 07:39 AM

I know that we've pretty much decided that if we want to use the "Just Scan" option that we may just have to live with static on the edges of certain channels and manually adjust it.

However, just to be sure I asked on the Mr. Samsung/Cnet forum about this. He said that he will ask around the Samsung office and get back to us soon. Since he works for Samsung I figure that he may have the final answer. Hopefully he will have a solution for us all.

I'll post whatever I find as soon as he replies.
post #930 of 3237 Old 06-13-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by hought41 View Post

I know that we've pretty much decided that if we want to use the "Just Scan" option that we may just have to live with static on the edges of certain channels and manually adjust it.

However, just to be sure I asked on the Mr. Samsung/Cnet forum about this. He said that he will ask around the Samsung office and get back to us soon. Since he works for Samsung I figure that he may have the final answer. Hopefully he will have a solution for us all.

I'll post whatever I find as soon as he replies.

This is nothing new. The only solution would be to have a memory for each chanel. I believe what you desribe as noise is actually info that is being transmitted it is nothing new and there is nothing they can do about it.
I just set my set to 16:9 it's only a little bit of over scan. No big deal.
Set it to 16:9 and you don't have to worry about it.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page