Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

Hello everyone how are you all doing? im so happy i just got my 46' Samsung 1080P LCD aswell ,its the LN46A550, AMAZING TV guys. i set it to the settings that the user above gave, his nickname is the TheBeginning. i think the picture looks amazing, i set these settings for my Cable TV, my ps3 and my 360 components, i have a question guys, you guys use that setting for the 360 and ps3 aswell? did anyone find any better looking setting? i looked around and i see that there is the one from Crispy66 and Thebegining so yea and i read that crispy's looks greenish so i just tried thebegining's settings.

so guys, is there any better settings you have encountered for the PS3 and 360? BTW, none of you guys use the ENTERTAINMENT MODEs thats available right? (i.e the GAME mode) i tried it and the picture looks more bright in a way but then i dont know if its a good set of settings because its just a preset from samsung, you guys say thebegining's setting is better to use yea?

cheers

I have some settings you can try, on the first page. A little darker, but worth a try i guess if you are looking to try different settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:

Hello everyone how are you all doing? im so happy i just got my 46' Samsung 1080P LCD aswell ,its the LN46A550, AMAZING TV guys. i set it to the settings that the user above gave, his nickname is the TheBeginning. i think the picture looks amazing, i set these settings for my Cable TV, my ps3 and my 360 components, i have a question guys, you guys use that setting for the 360 and ps3 aswell? did anyone find any better looking setting? i looked around and i see that there is the one from Crispy66 and Thebegining so yea and i read that crispy's looks greenish so i just tried thebegining's settings.

so guys, is there any better settings you have encountered for the PS3 and 360? BTW, none of you guys use the ENTERTAINMENT MODEs thats available right? (i.e the GAME mode) i tried it and the picture looks more bright in a way but then i dont know if its a good set of settings because its just a preset from samsung, you guys say thebegining's setting is better to use yea?

cheers

Again, every TV is different. You may not have a greenish tinge on your set. Try all the settings and decide for yourself first. You can always turn the tint down to compensate. Some ppl say my settings are great, and others not so.. its trial and error.

post #93 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 AM

When using the quoted settings in Dynamic mode is that correct that I cannot access the "Detailed Settings" such as white balance, edge enhance, color space or xvYCC? And the film mode is grayed out?

Will these settings be suitable for S-Video mode for standard cable as well as HDMI?

Final question, why are most users opposed to using the DNIe mode?

Thanks

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeginning View Post

Dynamic Mode
Backlight 4
Contrast 84
Brightness 52
Sharpness 50
Color 51
Tint(G/R) G55/R45 --- Used a color lens to correct the red

Picture Options
Color Tone - Normal (Cool 1 was too Blue)
Digital NR - Off (This setting has lots of smearing and ghosting)
DNIe - On (This setting really brings life to this set.)
Film Mode - Auto

Energy Savings -Off

After doing extensive testing on all, I thought mine looked outstanding on this set.

post #94 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
has anyone got any settings for the 32" set? I just picked mine up last night from HH Gregg
I am running Direc HD a PS3 for Blu and all going thru my Sony DA 5300ES AVR All HDMI hookups

James
post #95 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 12:20 PM

I have a few questions I own the set and here are my problems help anyone please

1. I have a lot of grain on my hd channels which is pretty annoying and I am using a Comcast HD DVR Motorola DCT 3400 cable box connected to HDMI port 2 what can I do to improve this??? I only get a clear reception on Espn 1 & 2.
2. I have my xbox 360 connected to hdmi port 1 and the first day I had it all set and it looked great for about two days the next day I turn my 360 on and on nba 2k8 I see like a white outline on all the players and there uniforms can some tell me how to get rid of this and what do you think the problem is???
3. Why is film mode grayed out when I connect my xbox 360 to hdmi port 1???
4. Lastly I have a xbox 360, a Comcast hd dvr box and a regular dvd player which is the best ways for me to connect my all my components to the tv to get the best picture quality for each.

The weird thing about it all is my sd picture quality looks good everything else just looks bad. Someone help me out please.
post #96 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimm View Post

When using the quoted settings in Dynamic mode is that correct that I cannot access the "Detailed Settings" such as white balance, edge enhance, color space or xvYCC? And the film mode is grayed out?

Will these settings be suitable for S-Video mode for standard cable as well as HDMI?

Final question, why are most users opposed to using the DNIe mode?

Thanks

Mike

Reason I did not post detailed is because under dynamic you cannot change those settings. I tried so many different calibrations and found mine to be the most natural and had most pop. Colors were accurate! I also changed my backlight to 5.
post #97 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

ill try some of these settings tonight, Im a must have DNIe guy, i want my saturation.
post #98 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 View Post

ill try some of these settings tonight, Im a must have DNIe guy, i want my saturation.

I went between both DNIe and without, it was dramtically a better picture with it on. Gave it so much more contrast, and color.
post #99 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 04:07 PM

One more thing... I also see in your settings you have the film mode to auto. When my set is in Dynamic mode the film mode is grayed out and is set to off. Is there something I need to do to enable this in dynamic mode?

Thanks

Quote:

Dynamic Mode
Backlight 4
Contrast 84
Brightness 52
Sharpness 50
Color 51
Tint(G/R) G55/R45 --- Used a color lens to correct the red

Picture Options
Color Tone - Normal (Cool 1 was too Blue)
Digital NR - Off (This setting has lots of smearing and ghosting)
DNIe - On (This setting really brings life to this set.)
Film Mode - Auto

Energy Savings -Off

After doing extensive testing on all, I thought mine looked outstanding on this set.

post #100 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimm View Post

One more thing... I also see in your settings you have the film mode to auto. When my set is in Dynamic mode the film mode is grayed out and is set to off. Is there something I need to do to enable this in dynamic mode?

Thanks

Wierd mine is not greyed out. Are you using HDMI?
post #101 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

what does film mode do anyways?
post #102 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
@the begining, i think ur setting is the best mate. i also bumped the BACKLIGHT to 5 instead of 4, looks great, thats the settings that you are using for your 360 and PS3 aswell or only on for cable? (this is a question to thebegining)

btw thebegining, did u try checking the ENTERTAINMENT MODE that the TV has? like GAME mode for example, did you like any of these? your settings have more accurate colors right? I KNOW all tvs are not the same, no need to repeat that, everyone knows that but fact is, when someone shares a great setting and ppl test it and its obviously a great setting for ppl to use even tho no TV is the same,
post #103 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 07:37 PM

im trying crispys on my movie setting and thebegginings on my dynamic setting. i guess you have to change it for everyport you use. for example. for each hdmi and for air or cable settings. thank you guys for the help
post #104 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

post #105 of 3237 Old 04-25-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Wierd mine is not greyed out. Are you using HDMI?

Yes, for the DVD I'm using HDMI and film mode wasn't accessible. But then when I switched to the S-Video input for cable tv and went to setup the cal settings in that mode then film mode wasn't grayed out. Must be that if in HDMI mode you can't enable film mode.

thebegining, I really think your settings are optimal for this set! I used a few popular cal dvd's and the results were NOT very impressive.
post #106 of 3237 Old 04-26-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:

@the begining, i think ur setting is the best mate. i also bumped the BACKLIGHT to 5 instead of 4, looks great, thats the settings that you are using for your 360 and PS3 aswell or only on for cable? (this is a question to thebegining)

btw thebegining, did u try checking the ENTERTAINMENT MODE that the TV has? like GAME mode for example, did you like any of these? your settings have more accurate colors right? I KNOW all tvs are not the same, no need to repeat that, everyone knows that but fact is, when someone shares a great setting and ppl test it and its obviously a great setting for ppl to use even tho no TV is the same,

I use my settings for my Directv, HD-DVD, and Xbox 360 and they all work the best.
post #107 of 3237 Old 04-26-2008, 02:25 AM

Quote:

how are your results nokian93? whos settings are better?

you know what, their both great settings. I use crispys for my ps3 gaming (mainly cod4) and thebegginings dynamic setting for my regular tv watching. I can not complain at all.love them both
post #108 of 3237 Old 04-26-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

sounds good TheBegining. ill keep these settings aswell then. btw i have a question, u said that you will tweak the settings to be even better a few pages back in this thread if im not wrong, did u tweak the settings yet ?

cheers
post #109 of 3237 Old 04-26-2008, 01:47 PM

Beginning - Thanks for your settings. Haven't done any comparisons between the out-of-box and yours yet - probably biggest difference is that it is not as bright/washed out as before.
post #110 of 3237 Old 04-26-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerose View Post

Beginning - Thanks for your settings. Haven't done any comparisons between the out-of-box and yours yet - probably biggest difference is that it is not as bright/washed out as before.

Oh trust me these settings blow out-of-the-box away.
post #111 of 3237 Old 04-26-2008, 03:18 PM

Please educate me. Are there any reasons that the manufacturer would not put up the best setting for their TVs? I can understand it might require slight adjustment for individual TV because of production variation and personal preference. But it seems people are talking about major adjustments, and somehow most would agree to the settings (e.g. The #1500 setting for Sammy xx65). Am I missing something?
post #112 of 3237 Old 04-26-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicker007 View Post

Please educate me. Are there any reasons that the manufacturer would not put up the best setting for their TVs? I can understand it might require slight adjustment for individual TV because of production variation and personal preference. But it seems people are talking about major adjustments, and somehow most would agree to the settings (e.g. The #1500 setting for Sammy xx65). Am I missing something?

Cause they don't calibrate them, they are enhanced for being used on retail floors to be bright and seeable. Most LCD's are never calibrated out of the box.
post #113 of 3237 Old 04-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter77 View Post

I tried cripsy's settings and they just didn't do it for me, so I went back the the #1499 for now. May try TheBeginning's tonight.

That is because most people don't know what a properly calibrated picture looks like. All calibrators tell their customers "to give it a week to get used to it" because they are often disappointed at first. A true 6500K picture does not "Pop" like people describe here. That is what they are used to. And, if thats what you like, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just be prepared for some initial disappointment with a properly calibrated set. I have had three TVs done buy a very well known calibrator and based on what he has tought me and has done, crispys settings would provide the closest to a 6500K picture than any other settings posted so far. On his set, they are 6500K. I would almost bet that TheBeginnings would yields the furthest from 6500K possible. BUT, again, if you like them then who cares which settings are scientifically more correct?

Justin
post #114 of 3237 Old 04-26-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI05 View Post

That is because most people don't know what a properly calibrated picture looks like. All calibrators tell their customers "to give it a week to get used to it" because they are often disappointed at first. A true 6500K picture does not "Pop" like people describe here. That is what they are used to. And, if thats what you like, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just be prepared for some initial disappointment with a properly calibrated set. I have had three TVs done buy a very well known calibrator and based on what he has tought me and has done, crispys settings would provide the closest to a 6500K picture than any other settings posted so far. On his set, they are 6500K. I would almost bet that TheBeginnings would yields the furthest from 6500K possible. BUT, again, if you like them then who cares which settings are scientifically more correct?

Justin

^^Mine would not be furthest, so stop trying to start fights.
post #115 of 3237 Old 04-26-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Cause they don't calibrate them, they are enhanced for being used on retail floors to be bright and seeable. Most LCD's are never calibrated out of the box.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess it makes sense that they are initially set for show room and first impression.

I tried your setting, but it did not work quite well for me. The picture looks kind of hazy. I had to twist around and get a setting more suitable for my set. I will post it for others to try.
post #116 of 3237 Old 04-26-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cripsy66 View Post

Sorry I am a little late, but my TV is now ISF calibrated. (LN52A550) The whole process took about 2 hours to perform. Keep in mind that yes every TV is a little different but if my settings can help, or be a good starting point? why not post them. The Blacks are now so much better, and the whites look like whites, not a off color white.

Movie Mode (other settings block out certain settings)

Backlight = 7
Contrast = 90
Brightness = 45
Sharpness = 32
Color = 62
Tint = G57/R43

DETAILED SETTINGS

Black Adjust = Off
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Gamma = +1
Color Space = Native
Flesh Tone = 0
Edge Enhancement = On
Xycc = Off

WHITE BALANCE

R-Offset = 23
G-Offset = 28
B-Offset = 17
R-Gain = 31
G-Gain = 24
B-Gain = 37

PICTURE OPTIONS

Color Tone = Warm 2
Size = Just Scan (best for HD viewing and gaming, may show distortion on some CBL channels)
Digital N/R = Off
DNIE = Off Greyed out
HDMI Black Level = Normal Greyed out
Film Mode = off
Blue Mode = Off

Energy Saving = Off
Entertainment modes = Off

Enjoy, and lemme know if they help you as well

Did you calibrate theses settings for ps3 or something else.
Thanks...

LN40A550
post #117 of 3237 Old 04-26-2008, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The beginnings settings are actually my settings except he is using dynamic with dnie on. Other than that, they are what I originally posted minus the detailed setting for black levels providing the more "natural" look. My settings were calibrated with a DVE blue-ray disk on the PS3.
post #118 of 3237 Old 04-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

hahah I am not trying to start fights. Who cares who uses what settings? I am just saying that scientifically, yours are way off of 6500K. Of course, you would need to have someone read them using the 20K dollar piece of equipment but I am pretty sure my assessment is accurate. Doesn't mean they aren't good to your eye. My point was that a lot of people don't know what a properly calibrated picture looks like. It really had nothing to do with you, or your settings. But, if you must take offense and get defensive, there is nothing I can do about that.

Justin
post #119 of 3237 Old 04-26-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI05 View Post

hahah I am not trying to start fights. Who cares who uses what settings? I am just saying that scientifically, yours are way off of 6500K. Of course, you would need to have someone read them using the 20K dollar piece of equipment but I am pretty sure my assessment is accurate. Doesn't mean they aren't good to your eye. My point was that a lot of people don't know what a properly calibrated picture looks like. It really had nothing to do with you, or your settings. But, if you must take offense and get defensive, there is nothing I can do about that.

Justin

If you set up with the settings I originally posted, without the DNIe setting, they aren't all that bad off as you would think. Def. not 6500K, but not so far off it is that bad.
post #120 of 3237 Old 04-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

If you set up with the settings I originally posted, without the DNIe setting, they aren't all that bad off as you would think. Def. not 6500K, but not so far off it is that bad.

Again thats my point. I never said those or anyones settings were bad. Just not a calibrated 6500K. There is a huge difference between a calibrated 6500K picture and one that is not. And often times, people are left wondering why they spent 300 bucks to have it done since the scientifically correct picture doesn't "pop." That was the whole point. I just chose some random settings to show what non calibrated settings look like (contrast too low, brightness too high, dynamic mode, DNIe on, etc), I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. Personally, I use the 1499 settings that werent even meant for this TV, and I know they aren't 6500K either. Eh... I guess some people are easy to offend or upset over nothing, can't help that.

Justin
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page