post #181 of 3237 Old 04-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

That is incorrect. I can pass BTB and WTW with Superwhite enabled and my TV HDMI setting on Low.

That's because you are using a PS3, not an Xbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3237 Old 04-28-2008, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
can someone please help ?
post #183 of 3237 Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

i seem to be expiriencing some kind of noise in the blacks with the component aswell as with the HDMI when i was watching NBA on TNT HD tonight, it must have been the broadcast yea? it was wiered.
post #184 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

hey slicker007, i just tried your settings, i think the lowering of brightness brings that POP effect i think, my eyes are tricking me now lol since i seen both hdmi and component performing, you use these settings for your 360/PS3 as well? and are these calibrated settings or u just changed settings by urself and judge by your eye? but i think this setting might be better than thebegining's because the brightness is a little lower.

@thebegining

what do you think about the slicker007's modified settings ? other than the backlight because i saw that you dont like high backlight
post #185 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

ok i kept experimenting and i think i came to the conculsion that the grain and stuff i was seeing MIGHT have been due to the increase i made in BACKLIGHT, i went from 5 to 7, cuz it looked so much brighter and more alive but now when i went down to 5 i think it has more of a POP than it had with 7 backlight, i cant be for sure until i watch another game of NBA tonight on TNT HD, but i remember that few days when i just got the tv i put on THEBEGININGS settings with backlight 5 and picture was exceptional, and then it was when i decided to raise backlight to 7 until now that i relized that more backlight brings out the more imperfections of the cable signal yea? but thebegining, i would like to hear your opinion on SLICKER007's modified settings, do you think they are better than yours ? 1 more thing, whats the rule for backlight, i have the tv in my living room and theres a window almost behind the TV, and im in NY and right now ther still isnt much sun outside , backlight 5 is good yea?
post #186 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 AM

Liked: 10
hey guys, just curious if anyone has any good suggestions for settings for gaming on the PS3. I'm messing around with them but am struggling to find a nice balance b/w HDMI black levels and DNIe on/off...I feel that I get too black or kinda washed out appearance. I have super white ON with RGB to limited and my settings are in dynamic similar to TheBeginnings. I am an HD newb so I definitely appreciate any advice. Thanks guys
post #187 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:

You should have one of the following configs for your Xbox. (HDMI) I read this somewhere else before.

1. You should have the Xbox reference level on "standard" and the TV HDMI setting on Low

OR

2. You should have the Xbox reference level on "expanded" and the TV HDMI setting on normal

If you combine both the "expanded" reference setting and the "Low" HDMI TV setting, the picture will experience black crush.

You should also have the following config for your PS3 (HDMI)

Blue-Ray/DVD output set to "Y Pb/CB Pr/CR"
RGB set to "Limited"
Superwhite set to "Enabled"
TV HDMI black level Setting set to "Low"

with regards to the xbox whats the difference in the two options which is better to use to get the best picture??
post #188 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipset121 View Post

with regards to the xbox whats the difference in the two options which is better to use to get the best picture??

I don't think it matters. They are both the same.
post #189 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

hey slicker007, i just tried your settings, i think the lowering of brightness brings that POP effect i think, my eyes are tricking me now lol since i seen both hdmi and component performing, you use these settings for your 360/PS3 as well? and are these calibrated settings or u just changed settings by urself and judge by your eye? but i think this setting might be better than thebegining's because the brightness is a little lower.

You're right. I found that brightness setting is quite critical in giving a sharper picture with more 3D (pop) effect and better contrast. The backlight setting may be 5-7 depending on your room condition and preference. I did not use any tool to calibrate; I relied on my eyes.
post #190 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:

@thebegining

what do you think about the slicker007's modified settings ? other than the backlight because i saw that you dont like high backlight

I will try his settings when I get home for sure. To answer with the backlight, the room I have it in 7 was to bright and brought out to many imperfections. I found 5 to be fantastic.
post #191 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

i see, so wait, if i watch the TV at night with no light in the room at all, backlight 5 is probably the best right? and if its day and theres light coming from the window i should raise to like 6-7? the backlight has no effect on the POP effect most likely right?

cheers
post #192 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:

i see, so wait, if i watch the TV at night with no light in the room at all, backlight 5 is probably the best right? and if its day and theres light coming from the window i should raise to like 6-7? the backlight has no effect on the POP effect most likely right?

cheers

The higher the backlight, the more you see imperfections. I think 5 is bright enough and doesn't bring to much out in imperfections.
post #193 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

ohhh i see, got it man. so thats why i was seeing so many imperfections in the NBA game with backlight 7, hey thebegining, do u have ur cable/sattelite hooked up with component or HDMI?

cheers guys, we cleared up a few more things here, this is a great thread for all a550 users

1 question to you thebegining, the modified settings SLICKER007 posted, are you using these? or you still using your original settings that you posted before? did you test his settings? what did you think?
post #194 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:

ohhh i see, got it man. so thats why i was seeing so many imperfections in the NBA game with backlight 7, hey thebegining, do u have ur cable/sattelite hooked up with component or HDMI?

cheers guys, we cleared up a few more things here, this is a great thread for all a550 users

1 question to you thebegining, the modified settings SLICKER007 posted, are you using these? or you still using your original settings that you posted before? did you test his settings? what did you think?

I'm not home, so my tv is still set to my original settings that I posted. As for my Directv, HDMI 1.3 cable. Funny I saw a difference between my old HDMI cable and my new 1.3. I didn't think I would.
post #195 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 06:58 PM

I've had my LN46A550 for a week now, and the one thing that is driving me nuts is the color saturation seems to be channel dependent. I'm wondering if anyone else is having a problem that they get it perfect on one channel (or at least what I perceive is "perfect"), and then switch to another channel and the colors are way too red or too green or the new channel? For example, I'll get it perfect for NBC HD, then switch to WB HD and it has too much red. If I go back to NBC HD, then it's fine again. If I fix WB HD, then NBC HD is too green. (btw, the standard def channels seems to always be too red, but I guess I don't really care about those...)

I've tried using the native color space and auto color space and they both seem to have the same problem. Native seems to give me a little more red and auto seems to give a little more green, but either way, it doesn't seem correct. It's especially noticeable on a close up of someone's face.

Since it will seem "perfect" on one channel, but not another, do you think it's my cable box? Or do you think each channel just outputs a different color scheme? I have the standard Comcast Motorala dual tuner DVR (piece of crap!) and it's hooked up using an HDMI cable.

I'd appreciate any feedback you may have on this. Thanks!
post #196 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipset121 View Post

Use "Standard" reference level on teh xbox and "normal" HDMI level on the TV if you care about being able to see details in shadowy/dark scenes and areas.
post #197 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have been messing around for a while and think I finally found some Xbox 360 settings that look pretty good. Let me know what you guys think.

Mode: Standard
Backlight: 5
Contrast: 87
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 20
Color: 53
Tint (G/R): 53/47

Detailed Settings:
Black Adjust: Low
Dynamic Contrast: High
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Native
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: On

Picture Settings:
Color Tone: Normal
Size: Just Scan
HDMI Black Level: Low

Energy Savings: Low

Also the Reference Level on my Xbox is set to Standard.
post #198 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 08:33 PM

How would one calibrate the color setting for this line of LCD with the Digital Video Essentials blu-ray? For my old Sony XBR970 CRT HDTV, I'd simply turn off all but the blue gun to do it. But how would you do it for this tv?
post #199 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post

How would one calibrate the color setting for this line of LCD with the Digital Video Essentials blu-ray? For my old Sony XBR970 CRT HDTV, I'd simply turn off all but the blue gun to do it. But how would you do it for this tv?

? Blue-Gun? You put the DVD into a Blue-Ray player (PS3 for me) and then adjust the LCD TV settins so that it is calibrated as close as you can get with the disk. The DVE HD Basics Blue-Ray disk also comes with a Color Lens filter for setting tint and such.
post #200 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

hey outsider, what do u recommand setting sharpness to on most sources? 40-50? DVE says 0 for component and 20 for HDMI but i see everyone has sharpness set to 50+ . what do u think?
post #201 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

hey outsider, what do u recommand setting sharpness to on most sources? 40-50? DVE says 0 for component and 20 for HDMI but i see everyone has sharpness set to 50+ . what do u think?

20. 0 on this TV softens the picture up too much.
post #202 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:

? Blue-Gun? You put the DVD into a Blue-Ray player (PS3 for me) and then adjust the LCD TV settins so that it is calibrated as close as you can get with the disk. The DVE HD Basics Blue-Ray disk also comes with a Color Lens filter for setting tint and such.

I got this particular copy from Netflix so it doesn't come with the blue filter. So what you're saying is I basically have to buy the disk to get the filter to be able to do it? There's no way to get the tv to only have blue light pass through?
post #203 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I got this particular copy from Netflix so it doesn't come with the blue filter. So what you're saying is I basically have to buy the disk to get the filter to be able to do it? There's no way to get the tv to only have blue light pass through?

Yes. That is if the DVD is HD BASICS Blue-Ray.
post #204 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

ok so tonight i poped in my DVE VIDEO ESSENTIALS dvd into both my 360 and ps3 and did a calibration with each, 360 is with component, ps3 with HDMI. basically the color settings THEBEGINING supplied("51") were top notch and exact the same on my TV which i checked with the GREEN/RED/BLUE filter that came with my DVE disc, however that color setting was good for the 360 with component, on the PS3 with HDMI it was a little different, i had to adjust the color a bit using the color coded filter, not by much but for my PS3 the more correct setting is 54 for COLOR. the tint thebegining supplied were top notch on both ps3 and 360. i dont have the HD BASICS DVE, just the regular DVE VIDEO ESSENTIALS DVD.

the brightness needed alot of adjusting aswell on the 360 , the setting for brightness that i came up with is 36, however my borther just now started playing GTA4 on the 360 and he goes like the picture is too dark so i told him that i did a little calibration, he told me to fix it so i just raised the brightness to 48. and he can see the dark parts again, now that confused me and im sure i calibrated just like the DVD explained to calibrate brightness. i tried calibrating contrast aswell but whether i changed the contrast either up or down the test pattern didnt show much change , no blooming showed or anything so i just left contrast at 93, i was the most POP effect as possible. im still having difficulity on what the best setting is to get the most POP when watching cable.
post #205 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

hey outsider, where is the cheapest place to purchase the Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics? and is it worth the $? does it really calibrate well? and is it easy to do?
post #206 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

just finished reading the reviews on amazon.com for Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics and the guyst here say its the same as the DVD version just remastered in 1080p and that they got the same calibration result with the DVD version of DVE.
post #207 of 3237 Old 04-29-2008, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

oh and outsider, you said to set sharpness to 20, but in the latest settings you posted(for the 360), you wrote "Sharpness: 40"

you said 40 there
post #208 of 3237 Old 04-30-2008, 02:22 AM

Movie Mode

Backlight = 7
Contrast = 85
Brightness = 44
Sharpness = 0-2
Color = 46
Tint = G51/R49

DETAILED SETTINGS

Black Adjust = Off
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Gamma = -1
Color Space = auto
Flesh Tone = 0
Edge Enhancement = off
Xycc = Off

WHITE BALANCE

R-Offset = 25
G-Offset = 25
B-Offset = 25
R-Gain = 25
G-Gain = 25
B-Gain = 25

PICTURE OPTIONS

Color Tone = Warm 2
Size = Just Scan
Digital N/R = auto
DNIE = Off Greyed out
HDMI Black Level = low Greyed out
Film Mode = off
Blue Mode = Off

Energy Saving = Off
Entertainment modes = Off
post #209 of 3237 Old 04-30-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:

In the setup menu, you will find a "blue mode" or something like that. Makes it easy to calibrate bars.
post #210 of 3237 Old 04-30-2008, 05:37 AM

Using outsiderwv settings which are tweaked from crispys calibration on my 37" A556, despite the comments earlier that the panel is not the same as 40"+ models the settings work great.

Tested them out with a couple of Blurays and SD Sky TV and have no complaints.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page