official Lg 42LG50 owner's thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 313 Old 04-11-2009, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know how I could do a hard reset??

All of my inputs are being listed and I can't seem to find anything that is related to removing them from the list.
I tried googling for info on doing a hard reset, the only thing I can see is possibly waiting 2 hours with it unplugged. is this right?

I went into the service menu and changed the 2 hour limit to off, thinking I could just unplug for a minute or 2 and it would reset, but no go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 313 Old 04-12-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightplayer View Post

hi guys here some pics of my stuck or dead pixel from my brand new LG 42LG50,just 1 month using the TV,,, I cant return the to the store because, the garanty time all ready expire...and LG dont want to fix it ..they said I need 10 or more dead or stuck pixel...

2 read pixel

3 black pixel

1 white pixel ) if you get very close you can see 2 more but not very bright ( very small pixels)

sorry for my english its not my main language

any comments how i can fix this problem?
post #273 of 313 Old 04-12-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_timewalker View Post

Anyone know how I could do a hard reset??

All of my inputs are being listed and I can't seem to find anything that is related to removing them from the list.
I tried googling for info on doing a hard reset, the only thing I can see is possibly waiting 2 hours with it unplugged. is this right?

I went into the service menu and changed the 2 hour limit to off, thinking I could just unplug for a minute or 2 and it would reset, but no go.

example of the inputs being shown that nothing is connected to:
post #274 of 313 Old 04-27-2009, 06:35 AM

Could anyone recommend a rs232 to usb cable to use to get into blackbox?
or any links to updated firmware or source? This input thing is begining to have me at my wits end. Essentially I would prefer changing inputs with the remote, if I could get the input list to display only the used inputs. However, I could reasonably use the cable to change the inputs but, I don't have one.
Thanks!
post #275 of 313 Old 04-27-2009, 05:33 PM

Hi, I have a Lg 47LG50. I also have a 37" hitachi and a older 47" philips lcd. I find that the color is much more dynamic and rich on both the other sets. I have messed around with a lot of the controls, but still cannot get a picture that I am really excited about. Do the calibration settings put forth in this thread also work on the LG 47LG0?
I would really appreciate any help with this problem. Thanks in advance.
post #276 of 313 Old 04-27-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwelter View Post

Hi, I have a Lg 47LG50. I also have a 37" hitachi and a older 47" philips lcd. I find that the color is much more dynamic and rich on both the other sets. I have messed around with a lot of the controls, but still cannot get a picture that I am really excited about. Do the calibration settings put forth in this thread also work on the LG 47LG0?
I would really appreciate any help with this problem. Thanks in advance.

if the displays aren't calibrated properly then there's no fair comparison. you might like an image on one set better than the other, doesn't mean it's a correct image.

there's an image you like and the correct image, these two may or may not be the same image.

and it's possible our configs may work on your tv, give em a shot, you still may find you like the uncalibrated options better.
post #277 of 313 Old 05-13-2009, 10:35 AM

Anyone had this problem before. I just got this TV about a week ago and before I got my HDMI cables, I used my component video cables to connect to my Comcast Motorola HDDVR. Well, I got the cables in and the picture quality is worse not better than Component video. Looks between standard defination and component video level. LG says it is the comcast box, comcast says it is the LG. I tried another HDMI cable and another Comcast HDDVR I have and get the same result. Any thoughts???
post #278 of 313 Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontainebleau View Post

Anyone had this problem before. I just got this TV about a week ago and before I got my HDMI cables, I used my component video cables to connect to my Comcast Motorola HDDVR. Well, I got the cables in and the picture quality is worse not better than Component video. Looks between standard defination and component video level. LG says it is the comcast box, comcast says it is the LG. I tried another HDMI cable and another Comcast HDDVR I have and get the same result. Any thoughts???

I have a Dish HD box connected to mine and for HD channels, the PQ is outstanding using both component and HDMI.

chili
somebody set up us the bomb
post #279 of 313 Old 05-13-2009, 05:09 PM

Liked: 11
Hi,

After many many days of calibration...I've managed to set the 42LG50 picture very close to the rec.709 HD color standard in the RGB range 16-235, despite the problems I've experienced. I will try to come up soon with a calibration setting for a RGB range of 0-255.

Here are the settings. The profile (chc file) from HCFR color software is attached (I use the viewing standard gamma reference (2.22) without black compensation).

COLOR STANDARD: HD (BT.709)
(SD (BT.601) is fine because of automatic color standard switching)

TIME OF THE DAY: ALL
(you can increase the backlight during daytime viewing)

Colorimeter: X-Rite Eye-One (i1) Display LT
(EyeOne.dll v.3.4.0.131)

Calibration software: HCFR (v.2.1)

HDMI cable: Ultralink CS1 series 3m certified HDMI v.1.3b

PS3 settings
(firmware v.2.70)

Display settings
HDMI output: 1080p
RGB Full Range (HDMI)(1): Limited
YCbCr Super-White (HDMI)(2): OFF

Video settings
Cinema conversion: Automatic
BD/DVD upscaler: OFF (personal preference)
BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI): Automatic
(will always ouput YCbCr from DVD's and blu-ray's)
BD 1080p/24Hz Output (HDMI): Automatic
(the PS3 will always output 24Hz from 24Hz blu-ray's or AVCHD discs and the 42LG50 will always display 48Hz with a 2:2 pulldown)

Game setting
PS1/PS2 upscaler: OFF (personal preference)
Smoothing: OFF (personal preference)

42LG50 settings

Picture menu
Aspect ratio: Just Scan
(Set by program for native 4:3 aspect ratio sources)
Backlight(3): 14
Contrast(*): 90
Brightness(*): 50
Sharpness: 30
Color(*): 50
Tint(*): 0

Expert 1 control menu
Fresh contrast(4): OFF
Noise reduction: OFF
(unless noisy picture)
Gamma: HIGH
Black level(5): LOW
Real Cinema: OFF (unless 480i/1080i 60Hz cinema source)
Color Standard: HD
(greyed out: automatic switch to SD color for SD sources)
White Balance: Warm

Method: 10 points IRE
IRE: R G B
100: 44 20 15
90: -21 -46 -29
80: -17 -37 -20
70: -12 -32 -6
60: -4 -19 -4
50: 5 -18 5
40: 13 0 16
30: 17 10 25
20: 21 19 27
10: 30 28 24

Color management system
Red color: 0
Red tint: 0
Green color: 0
Green tint: -5
Blue color: -2
Blue tint: -1
Yellow color: -1
Yellow tint: 0
Cyan color: 1
Cyan tint: 2
Magenta color: -1
Magenta tint: -5

Notes
1. Even though the TV supports RGB full range (0-255) over HDMI (v.1.3), I set the PS3 RGB Range to Limited, because I don't know which games are rendered in full range or limited range. Setting RGB range to Full would require a different calibration profile, because the PS3 black level will be at computer black (RGB 0-0-0).

2. Even though the TV supports YCbCr full range (0-255) and Deep Color (color bit depth higher than 8-bit), it does not supports x.v.Color, so I let the PS3 Super-White to OFF. Setting this to ON can help to check optimal brightness and contrast with Blacker that black (BTB) and Whiter than white (WTW) test patterns, but I would turn it OFF because it introduces false edges and ringing.

* I let these controls at their default setting, because they are fine tuned in the color management system and the 10 points IRE calibration system.

3. A setting of 14, in conjunction with the other settings, will give a light output of 35 ftl at 100% gray.

4. This option should not be set to ON (LOW or HIGH) as it will artificially and wrongfully increase the brightness and contrast in bright scenes and decrease them in dark scenes so that the picture looks more "punchy".

5. With this setting set to LOW, the TV set its black level to video black (RGB 16-16-16) automatically, but does not clip whiter than white (WTW) information. Setting Black level to HIGH and then adjusting every other settings accordingly would give identical picture quality. However, if you want to calibrate the TV with a PC source or with a PS3 with its RGB range set to Full, you should set the Black Level to HIGH.

42LG50 expert after RGB 16-235 (final).zip 5.1591796875k . file
post #280 of 313 Old 05-15-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontainebleau View Post

Do you have an option on your cable box that can do HDMI passthrough (without altering the original signal i.e. without upscaling or processing by the cable box)?

Also be sure to set the TV aspect ratio to Just scan for HD channels and Set by program for SD channels.
post #281 of 313 Old 05-21-2009, 03:46 PM

A site I often buy stuff from has this for a really low price. I'm really tempted.

Has anyone seen any outstanding issues with this set yet? Is anyone still experiencing the white bleeding edges?
post #282 of 313 Old 05-22-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEternalEnigma View Post

A site I often buy stuff from has this for a really low price. I'm really tempted.

Has anyone seen any outstanding issues with this set yet? Is anyone still experiencing the white bleeding edges?

I did not have any major issues with the set so far and I am very pleased with this TV. The expensive number of settings allow the TV to be set pretty close to the HD color standard, but these settings can be bizarrely implemented.

My pros:
-2:2 cinema pulldown (48p output from 24p blu-rays)
-ISFccc (expert modes)
-Accurate and natural colors (after calibration)
-Accurate grayscale (after calibration)
-Wide viewing angle
-Really good picture with HD sources (sharp, but natural)
-Accurate 3:2 cinema pulldown with interlaced sources
-USB photos ans music
-Sound is very good compared to other TVs
-HDMI v1.3. with DeepColor
-very good bang for the bucks

My cons:
-SD upscaling is a bit smooth (but without a lot of artifacts)
-Black level is a bit high (consequence of S-IPS panel for wide viewing angle)
-8-bits panel for color reproduction (instead of 10-bits)
-Does not support x.v.Color (future proof)
-Not a 120Hz set
-The panel is a bit more reflective than that of other TVs
post #283 of 313 Old 05-31-2009, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRabbit79 View Post

Hi,

After many many days of calibration...I've managed to set the 42LG50 picture very close to the rec.709 HD color standard in the RGB range 16-235, despite the problems I've experienced. I will try to come up soon with a calibration setting for a RGB range of 0-255.

Here are the settings. The profile (chc file) from HCFR color software is attached (I use the viewing standard gamma reference (2.22) without black compensation).

I was looking at your settings and the .chc file. The 42LG50 has two controls for each color in the CMS, whereas my Samsung has three. Does this give you control over the Y values in addition to the x-y position? Or is the RGBCMY color just a saturation control without any effect on luminance, and you have to compromise with the overall Color control to control all the Y values in tandem to achieve the minimum overall error?

Thanks,
Bill
post #284 of 313 Old 06-23-2009, 12:19 PM

Hey just bought a 42LG50 HDTV and I just upgraded with charter for my HDTV service, when the install guy came out he set everything up but when we connect the hgtv box to my new LG TV via HDMI and move it to HDMI mode it displays a INVALID FORMAT error.

My HDMI cabe is 1.3a
I can pick up service via the component cables when installed.

Any Ideas??
post #285 of 313 Old 07-02-2009, 02:01 PM

I am attempting to wrap my head around the "real cinema" feature. I can find only a minimum of information about it, and then only in reference to certain modes. Now, I think I am correct in understanding that normally this is used to convert an interlaced 3:2 film back to it's native 2:2 for proper cadence and removing any induced judder. With a 1080/24p feed however, the option for real cinema is grayed out such that you cannot enable it. This stands to reason since it would serve no benefit. However, in the Expert modes you can still turn this on and off.

This is where I am trying to still figure this thing out. When real cinema is "off", the video is running at a proper 2:2 at 48hz with some resulting ghosting and motion blur (due to being slower than the roughly 60hz threshold the human eye sees at). But what is it doing when turned to "on"? Watching a blu-ray at 24p, the effect of turning real cinema "on" seems to almost enhance the tv's response time and minimize ghosting. But again, what is it doing? Is it forcing a 3:2 conversion such that it is running really at 60hz? Is this why it appears to my eyes that the ghosting is reduced?

When I pause a movie in 1080/24p with real cinema turned "on", I can pick up a very subtle flickering that is not there when it is turned "off". Could it be that it is using some kind of back light scanning (or something similar) to insert dark frames between normal frames and creating a pseudo 96hz effect? You would still only see 48 frames of video, but the lag time between each frame would be effectively cut in half reducing ghosting.

Hopefully someone might already know the answer to this. If not, maybe someone would know how to find out? I am curious to say the least.
post #286 of 313 Old 08-01-2009, 03:23 AM

recently i have developed a bunch of white lines that run vertically on my tv, i think i have about 5 spread out around the tv, they dont run straight down and they are almost smudges. My last tv, a westinghouse, had this issue and the repairman from BB told me the panel was bad and so i got a replacement tv(this one).

yep diagnosed as a panel failure. instead of bb reimburing me my purchase price(like they did last time) they are gonna just order me a new lcd panel lol.
Thanks
post #287 of 313 Old 08-10-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeplasticdream View Post

Here is something cool...

This TV will operate at 48Hz for 24fps input.

2:2 pulldown baby!

I don't understand what you mean by this
post #288 of 313 Old 08-10-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thered View Post

I don't understand what you mean by this

it means there's no judder for 24p media
post #289 of 313 Old 08-11-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandito View Post

it means there's no judder for 24p media

Is this automatic or something I need to do? I'm sorry I'm not very tech savy
post #290 of 313 Old 08-11-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thered View Post

Is this automatic or something I need to do? I'm sorry I'm not very tech savy

automatic.

the only thing that really supports 24p would be bluray and hd dvd to my knowledge.

it's the real cinema option in the display properties on the tv, as long as that's enabled you should be good to go.
post #291 of 313 Old 08-12-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:

automatic.

the only thing that really supports 24p would be bluray and hd dvd to my knowledge.

it's the real cinema option in the display properties on the tv, as long as that's enabled you should be good to go.

thank you very much
post #292 of 313 Old 08-14-2009, 07:56 AM

I bought this TV about 4 months ago, right before it went on sale. I knew I should have waited for the 120hz, but in the end I decided just to go for it. After all, could there really be a huge difference? Now I'm kind of kicking myself, but such is life.

I haven't seen any ghosting on my set. I watch TV and DVDs. The only time I see a trace is watching baseball. Bat swings and pitching leaves a little trail, but it isn't too bad.

Are BluRay players more conducive to ghosting on this TV because of the 60hz speed? Is it bad enough that it's distracting?

Here's what my current setup is. I speced this all out (with help from this forum) three years ago when I bought my first HDTV. The speakers and reciever are still going strong. I'm due for a BluRay player, but the Sony DVD player works really well on the TV with no ghosting, but it is a bit on the dark side. This was also the case on my last TV, but that was the reputation of the Sony DVD player.

DVD: Sony DVPNS90V
Receiver: Panasonic SA-XR55
Speakers: Athena Point 5 MK II and a 10" Dayton Sub

I want to thank everyone for posting their settings. I used Reallyagi's settings and they made a huge difference. I tried using DVE, however I didn't know about the advanced color settings so things looked a little off. Right out of the box the set looked good, but faces had bright spots that looked like light reflections and things were a bit on the dark side. Reallyagi's settings changed that.

As far as settings are concerned, what are the following? I can't find them.
10 (-3,8,-16)
20 (15,24,-21)
30 (20,36,-22)
40 (3,19,-40)
50 (8,34,-41)
60 (10,50,-20)
70 (-5,50,-8)
80 (-16,50,18
90 (-14,50,30)
100 (-22,38,21)

There is also a Red, Green, and Blue setting (not color/tint) that I kept set to zero. Should I change those?

All in all I'm very happy with this set.
post #293 of 313 Old 09-27-2009, 09:33 AM

OK so I got this set on sale right before the 120 came out about 5 months ago now, my only complaint is that I am getting a lot of noticeable smearing of blacks and also of the eyes and around the hair line of people. The faces of people will smear sometimes too depends on the lighting of what I'm watching.

I have tried all the setting recommended in this thread and no matter what it still does it.

What do you guys recommend should I call LG or try exchanging the set?
post #294 of 313 Old 09-27-2009, 11:15 AM

can you show an example? not exactly sure what you mean, i haven't seen the same though i don't guess, so it may be faulty equipment.
post #295 of 313 Old 09-27-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:

can you show an example? not exactly sure what you mean, i haven't seen the same though i don't guess, so it may be faulty equipment.

I don't know how I'd show an example, Its smearing or ghosting what ever you want to call it.

When something is moving it leaves trails and usually on the eyes of people on the screen. I don't know who else to describe it.
post #296 of 313 Old 10-15-2009, 05:32 PM

How do you get into the service menu on this TV? I want to view 50 hz video. The set accepts 50hz but continues to refresh at 60hz, so there is visual jutter on 50 hz video with motion. this set is sold in europe setup for 50hz screen refresh, and i am wondering if i can setup the one i bought in the US to work in native 50hz display mode.
post #297 of 313 Old 11-14-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobinet View Post

How do you get into the service menu on this TV? I want to view 50 hz video. The set accepts 50hz but continues to refresh at 60hz, so there is visual jutter on 50 hz video with motion. this set is sold in europe setup for 50hz screen refresh, and i am wondering if i can setup the one i bought in the US to work in native 50hz display mode.

To enter the service menu, hold down the Menu buttons on both the TV and remote; the code is 0000.
post #298 of 313 Old 12-06-2009, 09:05 AM

does anyone know the actual effect of Real Cinema on 1080i sources over HDMI? it doesn't seem to do anything. during credit rolls the credits look equally as jumpy with it on or off.
post #299 of 313 Old 12-08-2009, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone had an issue with the remote no longer Communicating with the tv? No remote works anymore so the problem is the tv, notthe remote. Any help is appreciated.

The tv is one month out of warrenty and lg said so sorry, but you are sol!
post #300 of 313 Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 AM

wth is with this set, the new panel i just had installed a few months back is going back again. I think this will be panel 5 in the last year(has white lines running down the panel in many places). Bestbuy can go to heck, not only did their repair not stand the test of time they cost me 3 days of work, broke my directv box(smashed it) and smashed a snowglobe.

am i the only one having these problems?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page