official Lg 42LG50 owner's thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 313 Old 04-15-2010, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I prepared an e-mail on the LG website only to recieve the following message when I sent it.

We're sorry. The page you requested does not exist
The page you requested is not available. If you're still having problems finding a destination on our site, please go to our home page or view our site map.

We want to help you find what you are looking for.

Click here to go to LG Electronics immediately.

Well here is the e-mail I prepared, if anyone can help me it will be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there is someone out there more willing to help a total stranger than LG is to help their customers.

Hi, I was wondering if there are any firmware updates for the 42lg50 LCDTV. One thing I am particularly concerned with is turning the TruMotion feature on or off. When in the picture menu you have the option of cycling through various Picture Modes (AV modes) allowing you to customize settings i.e. brightness, color, etc. to each mode. Now when I change TruMotion whether low, high, or off within a particular Picture Mode it changes for all of them. Note the Real Cinema feature sticks to the mode you set it to and does not turn on for all the rest. Is this the proper operation of this model? or is this a design flaw? If it was an oversight is there a fix?
All in all I want to be able to program TruMotion to be on (High or low) for the Sport picture mode and off for all other modes without having to go into [Menu, Picture, Picture Mode: Sport, Advanced Control, TruMotion: Low Med Off], every time I want to change it.
I also notice the AV MODE button on the remote only alows me to cycle through a select few Picture Modes. These are Cinema, Sport, Game, and Off (Which brings you back to the origional picture mode selected within the picture menu). TY

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 313 Old 05-26-2010, 08:19 PM

HI everyone.
I have had my 42LG50 For about 9 months and I use it for a computer monitor as well as my TV. Great for gaming and A great buy all around.
I have has a problem and wanted to share my solution.
The remote stopped working.The light was bright but replaced the battery any way,No help.Then I tried to use a universal remote to see if I could get the unit to work,No good.The soultion was to unplug the TV from the wall and plug it in again.evey thing works again.this is my first problem and hope it will be my last.
Just wanted to pass along this FYI.
Thanks for the setting for the TV on this forum .It made a 1000% improvement.
John
post #303 of 313 Old 06-04-2010, 07:31 AM

Liked: 11
Hey,

Just thought I'd pass on a finding I had recently with this tv. I've had it for about a year and a half, but only recently hooked a blu ray player up to it. I got a Samsung BD-C5500 and could not get 1080p to display. 1080i was no problem, but every time I tried 1080p I would get a corrupted screen and cracking sound. I tried changing the source and the cable a few times with no change. I called LG tech support (horrible in my opinion) and they're final suggestion was to take the TV in and pay for the repair as it's out of warranty.

I was about to give up and accept 1080i or decide whether I cared enough to bring the tv in when I went into the Blu Ray players menus and fiddled a bit more. I changed the Deep Color setting from Auto to Off and the problems immediately cleared up.

Just thought I'd put this out there to help anyone who was experiencing the same issue.

P
post #304 of 313 Old 06-16-2010, 03:32 PM

had mine for almost 2 years now and it's getting bad image burn in on it.

i can see vertical white streaks on it at all times depending on the scene on the tv, and if i watch any channel with colored pillar bars, like fox, and change the channel to a full screen program i can see burnt in pillar bars for a while after.

forget about pausing a dvd on a player without a screen saver, images will get burnt in quickly. i pause it a lot on directv but it has a screen saver, but i still fear it's affecting the tv.

this is pretty bad and seems to only get worse. tv is out of warranty, wonder what it'll cost to fix? i haven't had this problem until a few months ago.

anyone else notice anything similar? damn thing isn't even paid off!
post #305 of 313 Old 08-04-2010, 09:24 PM

Ive owned this tv for about 2 years like the post above and I am also experiencing image retention or pixel retention on still images. happens after about a minute, its pretty slight and goes away quickly with motion images but annoying none the less...= \\
post #306 of 313 Old 08-10-2010, 02:57 PM

I plugged a sony usb for my camera in the usb port on my 42lg50 tv and I smelt something burning now only the blue powerlight comes on and the screen won't show anything. Can anyone help?
post #307 of 313 Old 08-13-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerndarkness View Post

Ive owned this tv for about 2 years like the post above and I am also experiencing image retention or pixel retention on still images. happens after about a minute, its pretty slight and goes away quickly with motion images but annoying none the less...= \\

My TV is two years old in Sept also.

I have noticed the image retention, when I look closely for it.

I only see it on black/blank screens after a paused image. I am not sure whether it is new or whether it has been there all the time. At this point, it is not something that bothers me, because I don't notice it on normal moving screens (scenes that are not paused or blacked).

I doubt this is something to be 'fixed' easily.

If it gets worse over time, I'll repost. I would like to get several more years out of this TV. I do like overall.
post #308 of 313 Old 08-13-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammonique View Post

I plugged a sony usb for my camera in the usb port on my 42lg50 tv and I smelt something burning now only the blue powerlight comes on and the screen won't show anything. Can anyone help?

Probably need to take it to a repair center. I assume its out of warranty, so take it anywhere you want.
post #309 of 313 Old 07-17-2012, 06:17 PM

I realize this is an old thread, but I have just recently started having a weird problem with my LBD5D. Turning on the TV from standby sometime results in the unit dropping back into standby (red light) or appearing to turn itself off all together, only to have it come back to life an hour or two later (very disconcerting when trying to sleep.) Anyone had a similar problem, or do I need to find an exorcist?

Kevin
post #310 of 313 Old 09-10-2012, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a 4 year old 37LG50 for which there is no owner thread so I figured I would post it here. I have noticed an issue 3 times in the past few months now where the video has a hesitation every couple of seconds, the audio is fine. The first two times were with my PS3 watching a movie. It happened right off the bat, vs developing. This last time was watching on a different HDMI input, with my Dish receiver. You might also call it choppy. The times with the PS3, I restarted the PS3 and that fixed it. Now that I saw it with a different source, I restarted the TV and it went away. I think it has something to do with the response time hanging every couple of seconds.

Anyone else have this issue? Is this a sign my 4 year old set might be on the way out? I know that the new technology screens only last on an average of 5-7 years. My Olevia 30" this one replaced lasted 5 years. My Mitsubishi developed an issue at 13 months, etc.. The repair man who fixed my Mitsubishi (needed a new panel and Mitsubishi paid for it) said he was seeing many more repairs on the new technology sets vs CRT ones and he was the one that said they seem to last only 5-7 years, the part is either as expensive as a new set or no longer available. I know the panels are rated for like 100k hours but its often the board that goes wrong, or in the case of my sister's DLP, the color wheel breaking. The Olivia had the power supply go, a known issue with that model. Even this LG has the rattling audio issue. The repair man said that is caused by a part falling that covers the speaker inside, he had seen many of them. I get around it by using a 2.1 Logitech computer audio system with the TV, which is in my bedroom. Only issue is no audio remote with it.

I love the picture on this set, its so rich, and would love it to last another 4 years, at least.
post #311 of 313 Old 09-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyagi View Post

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, I just had to share my settings with y'all.

I used the following:

Colorimetre HCFR software

AVC HD 709 calibration disk

Spyder2 colorimeter (I know most prefer the Eye-One meters, but the Spyder2 was available from my job at no cost)

Here are the settings:

PS3 Blu-Ray player

Output Format (HDMI): Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr (important!!! NOT RGB output)

BD 1080p 24hz Output (HDMI): On (this TV can reproduce video at 48hz for accurate 2:2 pulldown)

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super White (HDMI): On (not sure if this matters)

42LG50 Settings

Aspect Ratio: Set By Program (Personal Preference)

Picture Mode: Expert 1

Backlight: 50 (Personal Preference)

Contrast: 54

Brightness: 54

Sharpness: 40 (Personal Preference)

Color: 50

Tint: 0

Fresh Contrast: Off

Noise Reduction: Off

Gamma: Medium

Black Level: Low

Real Cinema: On

White Balance: Warm

Method: 10 Point IRE

10 (-3,8,-16)

20 (15,24,-21)

30 (20,36,-22)

40 (3,19,-40)

50 (8,34,-41)

60 (10,50,-20)

70 (-5,50,-8)

80 (-16,50,18

90 (-14,50,30)

100 (-22,38,21)

Red Color: -3

Red Tint: 0

Green Color: 10

Green Tint: 0

Blue Color: 14

Blue Tint: 0

Yellow Color: 0

Yellow Tint: 1

Cyan Color: -11

Cyan Tint: 0

Magenta Color: 0

Magenta Tint: -2

Take time to get used to the settings, you may think the screen looks dull at first. The truth is most people have way too much contrast on their TVs.

These settings will also work for Cable or Dish hookups, in which case you may change the Noise Reduction option to Medium to reduce signal noise.

There was a post by EaglePC which is way off, those settings are actually for the 47LG60 calibrated by an editor of CNET.
http://reviews.cnet.com/9602-12576_7...sageID=2510757

would these settings work for an "all purpose" hdmi input? asking because i have the 37lg50 and could never get the settings right(far too cheap to pay to have a $800 tv calibrated, especially after owning it for almost 4 years) and have everything routed through a pioneer 1018 to a single hdmi cable(ps3, cabl,e bdplayer).

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #312 of 313 Old 09-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post

I have a 4 year old 37LG50 for which there is no owner thread so I figured I would post it here. I have noticed an issue 3 times in the past few months now where the video has a hesitation every couple of seconds, the audio is fine. The first two times were with my PS3 watching a movie. It happened right off the bat, vs developing. This last time was watching on a different HDMI input, with my Dish receiver. You might also call it choppy. The times with the PS3, I restarted the PS3 and that fixed it. Now that I saw it with a different source, I restarted the TV and it went away. I think it has something to do with the response time hanging every couple of seconds.
Anyone else have this issue? Is this a sign my 4 year old set might be on the way out? I know that the new technology screens only last on an average of 5-7 years. My Olevia 30" this one replaced lasted 5 years. My Mitsubishi developed an issue at 13 months, etc.. The repair man who fixed my Mitsubishi (needed a new panel and Mitsubishi paid for it) said he was seeing many more repairs on the new technology sets vs CRT ones and he was the one that said they seem to last only 5-7 years, the part is either as expensive as a new set or no longer available. I know the panels are rated for like 100k hours but its often the board that goes wrong, or in the case of my sister's DLP, the color wheel breaking. The Olivia had the power supply go, a known issue with that model. Even this LG has the rattling audio issue. The repair man said that is caused by a part falling that covers the speaker inside, he had seen many of them. I get around it by using a 2.1 Logitech computer audio system with the TV, which is in my bedroom. Only issue is no audio remote with it.
I love the picture on this set, its so rich, and would love it to last another 4 years, at least.

ive been having a similar problem; at first i thought it was my cable box as it only happens with my cable feed. are you connected through an avr, i am and the audio drops for a second and the picture becomes pixilated.i reset the cable box and it went away. you might want to leave the tv unplugged when your at work or sleeping and it might fix the issue. if not id call lg and see if there is any sort of out of warranty service or if you still have a warrenty

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #313 of 313 Old 12-25-2012, 07:17 PM

Want to change audio from var to fixed, any ideas?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page