Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 313 Old 02-18-2009, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavequestions View Post

I just bought this set today, and the simplest function is escaping my comprehension. How can I tell what resolution it is set at? I have searched through every menu I can find, and I don't see where to select 720p, 1080i, etc. I have Time Warner with a Motorolla box, and neither shows me the resolution or how to change it.

it's a 1080p set, that's what resolution it's at.

all other resolutions will by upconverted to that res.

you can see the input res by hitting enter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 313 Old 02-18-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandito View Post

it's a 1080p set, that's what resolution it's at.

all other resolutions will by upconverted to that res.

you can see the input res by hitting enter.

TY for the reply. I had a feeling that was the case, but it's my first 1080p set so I wasn't sure.

You have come through where Google has failed!
post #183 of 313 Old 02-19-2009, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevv View Post

did the tap test no reaction on screen

Same here and I have also been really impressed with this display. It's beautiful after you get it set right.

chili
somebody set up us the bomb
post #184 of 313 Old 02-22-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliDog View Post

Same here and I have also been really impressed with this display. It's beautiful after you get it set right.

i've tried some of the settings posted but not really happy
what settings are you using chilldog?
the defaults are'nt to bad with a few adjustments
post #185 of 313 Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 AM

Hi, first time posting.

I picked up the 47LG55, seems identical to the 50 series.
Very happy with the TV.

I tried some of the settings posted by, Reallyagi and Brandito and for my set the factory defaults look way better.

I'am waiting to pickup Digital Video Essentials DVD, hopefully that will help improve the PQ even further.
post #186 of 313 Old 02-23-2009, 04:19 PM

I used the settings that were posted and it looked incredible, but I'm far from an expert eye on what is should look like. I'm glad I found this thread and forum for that matter. I just ask all you guys that do the calibration on these t.v.s please continue providing input and settings. I know myself and others appreciate it very much!
post #187 of 313 Old 02-24-2009, 07:05 AM

I just purchased the 42LG50 Sunday and got my HDDVR (RNG20) setup yesterday. So far I really like the TV. It looks much better than my old Sharp LC32DA5U...

One thing I noticed right out of the box there seemed to be significant back light bleed. The back light setting was at 20, so I reduced it to 5 before reading this article. I thought that was good, but I see most people have it at 50. Do the other settings effect the back light bleed?
post #188 of 313 Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i've tried some of the settings posted but not really happy
what settings are you using chilldog?
the defaults are'nt to bad with a few adjustments

For Dish HD, I also started with the settings from this thread and then adjusted a few things more to my liking, like the back light.

chili
post #189 of 313 Old 02-25-2009, 06:30 AM

hi everyone,

this is my first time posting here. i'm an US expat living in taiwan and just bought a 42lg50fd. it seems like a great set so far but i cannot find the 10 Point IRE settings. it simply isn't there under expert 1 or 2 modes or under the advanced option in those modes. the color management settings, however, are there (Red Color/Tint).

i've read this thread thoroughly and it seems as if some 42lg50 sets just doesn't have that option.

does anyone know the service code? perhaps the 10 point IRE settings are there? thanks...
post #190 of 313 Old 02-25-2009, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howodd View Post

hi everyone,

this is my first time posting here. i'm an US expat living in taiwan and just bought a 42lg50fd. it seems like a great set so far but i cannot find the 10 Point IRE settings. it simply isn't there under expert 1 or 2 modes or under the advanced option in those modes. the color management settings, however, are there (Red Color/Tint).

i've read this thread thoroughly and it seems as if some 42lg50 sets just doesn't have that option.

does anyone know the service code? perhaps the 10 point IRE settings are there? thanks...

See this post for how to get to the 10pt settings. If that doesn't work for you then there is something different about the version you have.

chili
post #191 of 313 Old 02-25-2009, 04:19 PM

ok so recently my picture will cut in and out on my 42lg55 while watching dvd's or on x-box, can any one at all help me with this, it doesnt cut out on sat. or my rca in puts, but my dvd in hdmi input, and the x box is on component. bot will cut out for 3-4 second and then kick back in...any help before i pack it up and take it back would be much appreciated
post #192 of 313 Old 02-26-2009, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just bought the 47" version of this LCD panel. I like watching HD sources on it, but the quality of the SD reproduction leaves much to be desired. I'm used to the Sony Bravia scaler though so I am biased. My VW-VPL60 does a significantly better job at upscaling from 480 sources. The projector costs a lot more as well so it should but I was somewhat disappointed in the SD quality of the LCD panel out of the box. Did I mention HD looks fantastic.
post #193 of 313 Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

I try not to watch any 480i crap on my 1080p display. I guess I don't see what the point of your post was?

chili
post #194 of 313 Old 02-26-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliDog View Post

I try not to watch any 480i crap on my 1080p display. I guess I don't see what the point of your post was?

not all channels are in hd yet, a lot of channels are still only in sd resolution.

and honestly, he's right, the tv doesn't do the best job of upscaling. my dvr is no better though, but if he were to get a good avr then he might be better off.

for me i'll deal with the crappy sd for now, directv is rapidly adding hd channels all the time, and even sd footage on hd channels is pretty acceptable.
post #195 of 313 Old 02-26-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey77 View Post

I just purchased the 42LG50 Sunday and got my HDDVR (RNG20) setup yesterday. So far I really like the TV. It looks much better than my old Sharp LC32DA5U...

One thing I noticed right out of the box there seemed to be significant back light bleed. The back light setting was at 20, so I reduced it to 5 before reading this article. I thought that was good, but I see most people have it at 50. Do the other settings effect the back light bleed?

elite lg
From what I have been able to find out some 47LG50s or other 50 Series TVs might have a higher grade SIPS panel with the higher level contrast ratio #s. An easy way to tell is if you lightly tap the screen with the tip of your fingers. Normal screens flash and react. SIPS panels don't. Another way would be to use a magnifyer to look at the panel structure of your screen. Chevron / pointed pixels = SIPS panel. Squares / rectangle shaped pixels = other lcd panel types of lower quality

no back light bleed with mine,maybe return for another if its that bad. seems theres 2types of screens from what i found on an ealier thread mine didnt react.
post #196 of 313 Old 02-26-2009, 08:46 PM

Some kids channels are not HD. DVDs are not HD and the vast majority of our movie library is DVD. The Wii is not HD. All of these are being used on this 1080p set. That's why I commented on it. Most of TV watching is in HD and frankly, I agree with you on avoiding 480 anything but that's not possible all the time.
post #197 of 313 Old 02-26-2009, 11:09 PM

i'll be posting my updated settings using an X-Rite Eye One Display 2 and HCFR

i'll have both 2 point and 10 point ire settings.

the yellow and green are a bit off but overall it's good. i've had a hard time with yellow and green no matter what, they're within acceptable range though.

so far i'm very impressed. i dunno if anyone else will get much use out of my personal settings, seems each tv is gonna be slightly different. calibrating the geyscale is very exacting stuff.
post #198 of 313 Old 02-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kressilac View Post

Some kids channels are not HD. DVDs are not HD and the vast majority of our movie library is DVD. The Wii is not HD. All of these are being used on this 1080p set. That's why I commented on it. Most of TV watching is in HD and frankly, I agree with you on avoiding 480 anything but that's not possible all the time.

True, but I think DVDs (upscaled to 1080p by an Xbox 360 using VGA) look pretty great. Since you have a lot of DVDs, you might think about an upscaling player and connecti with HDMI.

chili
post #199 of 313 Old 02-27-2009, 10:51 AM

has anyone come across the password to get into the service menu?
post #200 of 313 Old 02-27-2009, 11:15 AM

I posted this on the other lg50 thread but this one seems more active. Thanks

Great thread fellas. . . i am dying to get my first HD LCD but am having trouble pulling the trigger. I have been eyeing the 37LG60 because of the great reviews but cant quite get over the looks of it. The LG50 has caught my eye because of the simpler bezel but it does not have the 120hz feature. Is there any one who has the LG50 dissapointed in sports/action scenes (motion blur), I mainly watch sports.

I also plan to access netflix over the computer or XBOX. Very interested in those settings and connections. Does anyone have experience with this.

post #201 of 313 Old 02-27-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:

has anyone come across the password to get into the service menu?

I found this in another thread for last years model LG 37lc2d. Test it out

Press and hold down menu on the tv and remote till the service menu screen appears.

Make sure you write down the value before you change them so you have a reference point.

Edit: saw it a couple more places. http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...tion-hi-anyone

post #202 of 313 Old 02-27-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderSPE View Post

I posted this on the other lg50 thread but this one seems more active. Thanks

Great thread fellas. . . i am dying to get my first HD LCD but am having trouble pulling the trigger. I have been eyeing the 37LG60 because of the great reviews but cant quite get over the looks of it. The LG50 has caught my eye because of the simpler bezel but it does not have the 120hz feature. Is there any one who has the LG50 dissapointed in sports/action scenes (motion blur), I mainly watch sports.

I also plan to access netflix over the computer or XBOX. Very interested in those settings and connections. Does anyone have experience with this.

I was looking at the 120hz tv's as well but, I think its hard to tell until you get the set home.

Personally, Hockey looks great on my 47LG55.
post #203 of 313 Old 02-27-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderSPE View Post

I found this in another thread for last years model LG 37lc2d. Test it out

Press and hold down menu on the tv and remote till the service menu screen appears.

Make sure you write down the value before you change them so you have a reference point.

Edit: saw it a couple more places. http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...tion-hi-anyone

yeah i actually found the way to get in, but i needed a password, turns out it's 0000, which is odd because while searching the web for it i came across what i thought was a forum thread for another lg tv, turns out it was for one of their phones i think?? anyways, the same code they use on their phones works on the tv.

i took pictures of all the menu's, might mess with them later with the colorometer. there's no 10 point IRE controls in the menu, so i guess grey scale as a whole will be shifted, and then adjust the 10 point ire in the user menu.

i'm also wanting to adjust the colors more, yellow and green have deltas over 10, and none of the colors are under 5 i don't believe. there's definitely a little room for improvement.

i have to go back through it all again anyways as i lowered my contrast a bit and upped my brightness to compensate for sd channels looking horrible in dark scenes.
post #204 of 313 Old 02-27-2009, 01:10 PM

I didn't see anything wrong with the 47LG50 I have when watching college basketball. Not quite as fast as NASCAR or Hockey but there was no real discernable blur. 120hz is nice but I'm not sure that it makes a $500 difference in these displays. the *50 model was 1199 and the *60 model was 1699 at our local electronics store. I'd be more inclined to believe that color depth would have a bigger impact.

It's been proven in game engine design that anything over 60fps is not really noticed by most of your users and this is for an application where the user is intently focused on the screen instead of the more casual viewing that happens when watching TV, a passive activity. 120fps then becomes a measure of bragging rights for games and not much more than that. I'd imagine that for the vast majority of TV and even sports, 120hz is not necessary unless you can afford it or it comes with no cost increase.
post #205 of 313 Old 02-27-2009, 01:18 PM

Gotcha, thanks for your thoughts. I am looking at the 37 inch models (live in a condo) right now there is 100 bucks difference between the 2.

post #206 of 313 Old 02-28-2009, 12:26 PM

can anybody share their calibration settings using this tv for gaming using the ps3. I just got this tv and i think its excellent but having problems with black crush in some of the games.
post #207 of 313 Old 03-02-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:

i'll be posting my updated settings using an X-Rite Eye One Display 2 and HCFR

i'll have both 2 point and 10 point ire settings.

the yellow and green are a bit off but overall it's good. i've had a hard time with yellow and green no matter what, they're within acceptable range though.

so far i'm very impressed. i dunno if anyone else will get much use out of my personal settings, seems each tv is gonna be slightly different. calibrating the geyscale is very exacting stuff.

great like to compare, havent found anything yet thats as good as factory
post #208 of 313 Old 03-02-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:

great like to compare, havent found anything yet thats as good as factory

i have it looking pretty good right now, the gamma is low though, only around 1.9-2.0, i wanna see if i can't get it to 2.2. though i guess 1.9 would be high? i dunno, gamma is weird.

still tweaking, i messed around in the service menu, adjust the default settings for warm, but i'm gonna return those to default as i have to adjust the user menu settings no matter what, and besides, most of you guys won't want to mess with service menu stuff.

i wanna tweak my color settings some more, the tv in general is a bit off, especially in green and yellow, everything else is pretty much within reason.

also keep in mind that my settings may not be right for your tv, i'm betting each set is going to vary a bit. i think in that case the 2 point ire settings are going to work best for people wanting to copy someone else user settings, so i'll keep in mind to do those too, hopefully get them as close as possible to my 10 point settings.

also, the 10 point ire actually can be adjusted to get 12 points calibrated, well i guess 11 since maybe you don't count total black? basically adjusting the 10 settings affects the 20% greyscale and onward and upward. the 10 setting actually affects total black, 10% and 20%, so yeah, pain in the ass to adjust the 0-30%, after that it gets easier, and between 30-80% is the chunk that matters most, then the stuff below 30 then i guess everything higher.

so yeah, adjusting 50% requires you to adjust the 40 point, and then go back to 40% to make sure it's still good, and you do that the whole way up, till 100% which the 100 setting does nothing for, turns out it affects everything above 100%, so you can adjust the greater than white or 109% scale, which is good i suppose, but it makes tweaking a real pain.
post #209 of 313 Old 03-02-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:

also, the 10 point ire actually can be adjusted to get 12 points calibrated, well i guess 11 since maybe you don't count total black? basically adjusting the 10 settings affects the 20% greyscale and onward and upward. the 10 setting actually affects total black, 10% and 20%, so yeah, pain in the ass to adjust the 0-30%, after that it gets easier, and between 30-80% is the chunk that matters most, then the stuff below 30 then i guess everything higher.

When tweaking grayscale, the 10IRE setting is for 10%, 20IRE is for 20%, and so on.

0%, or black, is adjusted with the brightness setting.

The white luminance is adjusted with the contrast setting.

Start with the white luminance, then proceed from 100% down to 10% and finally black or 0%. Then do it all over again.

You are right, this TV can't accurately reproduce green and yellow, as I mentioned in my old posts.

I have wanted an EyeOne colorimeter for a long time now, maybe I'll get it in a few weeks.

I get the impression, from reading posts after I posted my initial settings, that all 42LG50 tvs are very different and one cannot be used as reference.

Specially when people say the factory settings are better than mine... ??? : (
post #210 of 313 Old 03-03-2009, 07:10 PM

First post. Just picked up the 42LG50 as my first LCD TV after reading reviews and posts on AVS.

Tried the settings posted by reallyagi and Brandito (thanks for taking the time to do this and I'm getting mixed results. I'm still on SD cable so that might be a factor but some channels are awesome then some, not so awesome.

The only HD source I have is my XBOX 360 and I'm having a hard time getting rid of the "jagginess" around the edges of textures (Gears 2) and somehow the blades on the dashboard aren't as green as they were on my LG Flatron monitor.

Anyone have other SD or XBOX 360 settings they want to share?

Thanks.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page