Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by supervelous View Post

I probably misunderstood the video instructions since I am a newb and was watching it at mighnight, but I had thought they said to decrease brightness, then increase it until the outside stripe (third one from center) just barely reappears. I understood that was represented below black in the video signal so you should be able to see it (since it is not the same level of black as the background which represents black in the video signal??)

I thought if you couldn't see that third stripe, it meant it was being clipped and you didn't want that. But please please correct me if I am mistaken, as I'd love to recalibrate. I'll be watching again tomorrow and trying to gain a better understanding of all this. It was a lot of info for a newb to absorb!

I am also learning, I think its the 2% stripe. Let me know what you find.
In the lcd, the 3rd stripe will be clipped because it is below the black level. You do not need to see the 3rd stripe at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoilfx View Post

Check out my previous post. If the A.C.E can't be turned off, your calibration of black level might not even matter as they may vary from scene to scene

I can turn mine off in the PQ settings menu, but are you aying its not 100% off.
Anyways it is not that bad, did not even notice it during the DVE disc presentation.
If you don't own a DVE disc, no big thing, adjust the picture too your liking watching HDTV, Blu-ray, DVD, 360, ps3.
The tool I found on the DVE disc that was most useful was for the gray scale calibration. I found that the gray scale setting that looks good on the DVE disc, did not mean that it looked good for actual game play or movie watching. Thats where i made changes in the advanced menu.
Lets post and share our different settings.
post #543 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 12:30 AM

It can be turned off in Pictures setting menu, but its STILL on regardless.... Seems like a broken feature to me. I've email Sony to see what they say.

Yeah the gray scale is pretty good in comparison to the a550, i am just really bummed that there is no set black level...

Setting to game mode doesn't disable the auto dimming feature either. If anyone can figure out how to defeat this, please post!
post #544 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:

It can be turned off in Pictures setting menu, but its STILL on regardless.... Seems like a broken feature to me. I've email Sony to see what they say.

Yeah the gray scale is pretty good in comparison to the a550, i am just really bummed that there is no set black level...

Setting to game mode doesn't disable the auto dimming feature either. If anyone can figure out how to defeat this, please post!

Yeah it is there, but I really do not notice it when watching sports, movies or playing games.
I only notice it when playing games and the screen turns all black and the text in the bottom right corner is saying loading. I will notice the backlight reduce itself. But when the action starts back up, all is good.
I will also notice it when a movie ends and the screen turns all black before the credits roll. The backlight does reduce itself.
No big thing, IMO.
post #545 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 01:08 AM

Here are revised settings:

Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 3 (sometimes 4)
Picture: 95 (there was no clipping in the white of the test pattern at this level, but like I said I am a semi newb)
Brightness: 48
Color : 50 (used color decoder thingy that came with DVE)
Hue: G2
Color Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness : 8 (I saw the poster above had 20- this introduced a lot of extra information (edge enhancement) in the picture on the DVE test pattern - 0 seemed too soft)
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

Advanced Settings:

Black Corrector: Off
Advanced CE: Off
Gamma: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Balance: all default

I think you were right Bobski about the brightness, so I set it so the outside stripe was just invisible, and the 2% above barely.

Tomorrow night I'm going to watch the whole DVE disc again, read up on some of this, and do another newb calibration. I will repost my results.
post #546 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm View Post

Well, I just ordered a 40V4150... My current V4100 is going back to BB.

$280 cheaper and a longer warranty!

Now, I hope the new set is cloud free (my current V4100 has a little clouding but not enough to bother me)

UPDATE: Just canceled my order for the V4150.

WARNING: Anyone looking at the V4150, make sure you ask about the mounting pedestal. The company I ordered the TV from told me (After I had placed the order) that the TV DID NOT come with a mounting pedestal, and that I would have to pay $249 more for it!!!

I dont know how true this is but according to Sony's website the pedestal stand is an OPTIONAL accessory with the 4150.
post #547 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervelous View Post

Here are revised settings:

Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 3 (sometimes 4)
Picture: 95 (there was no clipping in the white of the test pattern at this level, but like I said I am a semi newb)
Brightness: 48
Color : 50 (used color decoder thingy that came with DVE)
Hue: G2
Color Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness : 8 (I saw the poster above had 20- this introduced a lot of extra information (edge enhancement) in the picture on the DVE test pattern - 0 seemed too soft)
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

Advanced Settings:

Black Corrector: Off
Advanced CE: Off
Gamma: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Balance: all default

I think you were right Bobski about the brightness, so I set it so the outside stripe was just invisible, and the 2% above barely.

Tomorrow night I'm going to watch the whole DVE disc again, read up on some of this, and do another newb calibration. I will repost my results.

Thanks for the settings, I might recheck my hue settings and mess around with the advance settings to see if I like them on or off. I will play some 360, PS3 and move black corrector, advance CE and gamma around to see where I like it.
I had my color dialed in at 50 also but I like more color in my set then most, that why i moved it up some.
The hue I found by looking through the blue filter and matching the squares has even as I could. Will check again. Maybe i did it wrong.
post #548 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:

WARNING: Anyone looking at the V4150, make sure you ask about the mounting pedestal. The company I ordered the TV from told me (After I had placed the order) that the TV DID NOT come with a mounting pedestal, and that I would have to pay $249 more for it!!!

I dont know how true this is but according to Sony's website the pedestal stand is an OPTIONAL accessory with the 4150.

Wow, can you post a link to the Sony website where you found this info. I cant find it.
The 40v4100 and the 40v4150 share the same manual, both model numbers appear on the cover. Not a mention of it in hear.
Maybe the 40v4150 comes in 2 different sku's, one with pedestal and one without.
post #549 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 01:14 PM

The reason for V4150 not having a pedestal by default "could be" because its under their business products. Just a guess !
post #550 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 01:21 PM

Has anyone noticed that this TV changes the background color / pattern sometimes.. let me explain...
After first time setup, the background color pattern was like light purple (when switching TV channels and no signal appears)
then, i re-tuned the channels one day and the background color changed to blue with a different pattern...
How to control this behaviour...
If you want to see what I am talking about, please go to the channel -- auto program option..

nothing critical here, but just wanted to see where is it controlled..
post #551 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 01:23 PM

Hey, I just tried a small cool thing for this TV..
There is a powered USB port in the back which is for DMEx..
I plugged in a USB LED light there at night while watching movie in a dark room and that backlight gave nice effect... you need to adjust the position to suit your taste.

caution: use this at your own risk... dmex port is not supported for this type of usage !!
post #552 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

I think the menu is only blue when adjusting settings while on the TV input.. on the other inputs I think its purple.

EDIT:

I guess I'm wrong, because I just tested this out and the menu is always blue. Oh well, I prefer blue.. lets hope it stays that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngupta View Post

Has anyone noticed that this TV changes the background color / pattern sometimes.. let me explain...
After first time setup, the background color pattern was like light purple (when switching TV channels and no signal appears)
then, i re-tuned the channels one day and the background color changed to blue with a different pattern...
How to control this behaviour...
If you want to see what I am talking about, please go to the channel -- auto program option..

nothing critical here, but just wanted to see where is it controlled..

post #553 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngupta View Post

Hey, I just tried a small cool thing for this TV..
There is a powered USB port in the back which is for DMEx..
I plugged in a USB LED light there at night while watching movie in a dark room and that backlight gave nice effect... you need to adjust the position to suit your taste.

caution: use this at your own risk... dmex port is not supported for this type of usage !!

Phillips has tvs with ambilight which is like what you described, only bigger. I personally didn't care for the effect.

Sony KDL-37XBR6 :-D
80GB PS3
post #554 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post

I think the menu is only blue when adjusting settings while on the TV input.. on the other inputs I think its purple.

EDIT:

I guess I'm wrong, because I just tested this out and the menu is always blue. Oh well, I prefer blue.. lets hope it stays that way.

Mine is purple, but when I go to some adjustments like channel auto program it turns blue.
post #555 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 07:16 PM

Well after really just falling in love with this set, I went ahead and ordered a Sammy A650 on Big River today. I guess I'm a little pissed at myself, but I couldn't bring myself to purchase the V4100 at the same price on Amazon as the A650, when the V4100's Sammy competition is the A550. 120Hz, 10 bit panel & processing, and the internet news etc. was too much to give up, not to mention Cnet's editor's choice and saying better PQ than an XBR4.

I only wish the W4100 would have been the same price as the A650 b/c after my impressive V4100 experience I def would have purchased that one. OR the V if it was $1,300 or so on Big River.

Have to return my V4100 to CC this week, will def miss it! I still am not 100%sure on my decision, and since it says "estimated ship date 6/2/08", I guess I have until tomorrow morning to cancel. But anyone who gets one of these 08 Sonys is very lucky! Great great sets!!
post #556 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

supervelous,

Why not just keep the V4100 and get it for $1249 over at BestBuy like I did? I can provide my receipt if you think you can get them to price match it.
post #557 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 07:52 PM

I paid less then 1300.00 at CC for the v4100. What did you pay for yours and when ?
post #558 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

I paid $1249.99 for my 40V4100 at BestBuy on Thursday night.
post #559 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:

supervelous,

Why not just keep the V4100 and get it for $1249 over at BestBuy like I did? I can provide my receipt if you think you can get them to price match it.

Hey PC MIke,

The reason is b/c I needed to purchase from Amazon.com. I get rewards at work when I work on special projects, and the awards let you choose gift cards from various retailers. The only good one is Amazon, so I always picked that and had been saving them up. Also, I sold my 32 inch Panny to a family member and allowed them to pay me mostly in Amazon credit they had, since I already had a bunch saved up.

So I had $1,400 in Amazon.com credit, meaning basically I needed to purchase my set from Amazon.com. The V4100 there is $1,499.99 (if purchased from Amazon, other third parties sell for a little cheaper, but either have shady return policies or I don't trust enough.). Meanwhile, I purchased the A650 for less than $50 more than that.

The W4100 is $1,899.99 (still MSRP from Amazon). So it was basically the Sammy A650 for around $1550, the V4100 for $1500 or the W for $1900. My only other option would have been to go without a TV for a month (after I return my V this week to CC) or use BB and do another 30 day "trial". However, I really didn't want to go through the purchase to return thing again, when I did it on the V I told myself 1 and done with that and then get myself a TV.

So anyway, just checked my order status on the 650 and it says "We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed." So I guess that's it for me.

I'll miss the TV Guide feature, the sound on the Sony, Bravia Engine 2 SD prcessing, and the Matte screen. BUt who knows, maybe my set will have the purple haze, excessive clouding or some other defect, in which case I will return to Amazon and definitely get a Sony.
post #560 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How did you get that price!
post #561 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Long story.. but I feel it should be told....

Let me preface this with I had owned a 32XBR6 for 28 days up to this past Wednesday.

Anyhow, on Thursday I went to CC to look at the W4100 and they had the 46W4100 hooked up to a Wii via RCA. This was unacceptable to say the least. So I waited about 5mins for someone to return to the TV department to ask if they could hook it up to a Blu-ray player so I could see "what all this 120hz is about" (even though I clearly know what its all about). Anyhow, the guy told me he couldn't do it and I immediately asked to speak to his manager. She came over and asked him why he couldn't do it and he gave her some crap about HDMI, to which she said "If I get you an HDMI cable can you do it?" Reluctantly, he said yes. After 10 more minutes this guy still couldn't get the Blu-ray player hooked up and I finally just said "sorry to take you from what you were doing, don't worry about it" and I walked out.

Then, I drove across the street to BestBuy. I wanted to do the same thing.. hook a 40W4100 to a Blu-ray player and yet again was told they couldn't do it! The guy even said he'd lose his job if he took one of the demo Blu-ray players and hooked it to another TV. I finally got so pissed off I just said..... "how many do you have in stock? charge one to my amex, but I'm telling you I'll be returning it and I won't be paying any restocking fees or anything." He really didn't seem to care and went ahead and checked me out for a 40W4100.

Anyhow, the next day I drove all over trying to get a package from UPS and at the same time I stopped at all the local stores that sell TVs... another CC, BB, Brandsmart, etc. While at Brandsmart I saw a 40V4150 for $1248 and made a mental note of it. Later that night I went with a buddy to his local BestBuy to check out all the open box TVs (they must have had 50 or more) and I saw a 40V4100 on the wall. Knowing what the price was at Brandsmart on basically the same model I really wanted to buy this TV (I had already come to the conclusion that I wasn't keeping the W4100 as I didn't care about 120hz at all). Anyhow, the listed price was $1499 and at CC it was $1399, plus I had a 12% birthday coupon at BB. I tried to get them to ring it up for $1399 - 12% and was told they couldn't do it. Again, I asked to speak to a manager and he just blew me off. So I waited around till this "TV department manager" finished checking out some family who was also buying a TV and again asked him why he wouldn't do the deal to which he said "Didn't you already ask someone about this?" And I said "yes, but your the manager so I'm asking you!" He looked at me and said "Well I'm just going to say what they said... we can't do it at this time." I was very upset to say the least. So I sat in the Magnolia theater for a good 10mins thinking about the situation and ha decided that based upon the last 2 days and the ****** ass service I was going to write a letter to corporate about all that had gone on the past two days.

So, as I was walking out of the Magnolia theater I stopped some person in a BB shirt and asked for the name of the "TV department manager" and got his name. Then I asked "Does this store have a number?" and the guy asked me if I meant phone number to which I said "No, store number." He ended up giving me the number and asking if something was wrong. I ended up explaining to him everything that had happened the past two days and then we went over and checked out the V4100 (he didn't know about it). In talking to him I also told him how upset I was at the fact that BB doesn't seem to honor their own pricematching policy as Brandsmart had this set listed at $1248 in the store. He launched into this whole thing about how Brandsmart employees work on commission so they only price match if the price is listed in their weekly newspaper ad (which of course only list the cheap TVs and the year old models, not to mention only like 5% of their entire inventory!). He said he'd go check if the TV was listed in their ad, but he ended up not finding it. I ended up telling him that the price was not some shady price some guy wrote on a piece of paper and slipped to me that it was the listed price up on the wall and that he could call and verify it. He said "no problem, we can do it for that price." Two minutes later I was checked out and on my way with my new 40V4100 for $1249.

I'll admit it was quite a chore to get it at that price, but in my opinion these big box stores need to get their acts together. There is NO EXCUSE for not being able to hook these TVs up to Blu-ray players for customers to see their true performance! Also, if they claim to be pricematching... then they need to straight up pricematch. None of this nonsense where it has to be listed in a damn newspaper ad. It's all completely bogus.
post #562 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post

Anyone know when the 46" version is set to launch? The 40" is nice, but to me...46" is the ideal size.

The 46" version as well as larger sizes are due in the middle of June.
post #563 of 1418 Old 06-01-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:

I like the all black!

I'm thinking of returning my 4100 to BB and buying the 4150 online... $250 cheaper and 18 month warranty.
Sounds good to me!

Yea I agree with you the pricing on line between the 4100 and the 4150 isn't that great and like you said you get that 18 month warranty.
post #564 of 1418 Old 06-02-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:

All I can say is that I bought my 40V4100 for ~$1125 + tax; thats approx price after counting in a small gift I got with the TV.
post #565 of 1418 Old 06-02-2008, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

ngupta,

Where did you pay that much and with what free small gift? Also, what is the store's return policy and pricematching policy?
post #566 of 1418 Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

IMO it seems as if the 40 inchers have less porblems than the 46 inches and up...but thats jsut me for example teh 650 thread everyone that owns the 40inch doesnt seem to have as many problems as the people with a 46 inch or 52..such as dead pixels and purple haze

sry for the spelling im at work
post #567 of 1418 Old 06-02-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

It can be turned off in Pictures setting menu, but its STILL on regardless.... Seems like a broken feature to me. I've email Sony to see what they say.....Setting to game mode doesn't disable the auto dimming feature either.

Please post what Sony says about this. I see the effect on some things. All options that might effect it are turned OFF in the settings.
post #568 of 1418 Old 06-02-2008, 04:59 PM

Did anyone try using the pc-input and have success with it? How was the text? What resolution are you using...

Anyway I tried it on my TV but apparently I got an old SVGA cable it looks great on 800x600 but when I switch any higher the text is hard to read..

I got an old T40 laptop with radeon mobility 7500 video card.. I know it can suppor higher resolution cause I used it on my samsung 226BW.
post #569 of 1418 Old 06-02-2008, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does this set display 24p input @ 48hz or 72hz (i.e. without judder)? I know it can't do 120hz, but that's not the only way to get judder-less displays.
post #570 of 1418 Old 06-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So after this bad experience with one of the "low cost" online dealers, I decided to try buying a less expensive model TV in a store to compare to the V4100. I purchased the Samsung A530 ($1199 vs $1499 for the V4100).

I may not be as picky as some people when it comes to having the ultimate best picture, but I can tell you that to my eyes the A530 looks every bit as good as the V4100 with HDTV and looks somewhat better with SDTV.

Also the Samsung has smoother (Less motion blurring, although just slightly) when playing games via PS3. You cant adjust the color settings when you have the game mode engaged, but I think the game mode looks fine... Its a little bright, but not too much. Like I said, I may not be as critical as others.

Dont get me wrong the Sony has a great picture, I'm not trying to take anything away from sony. I just wanted to say that anyone looking for a 40" TV should take a look at the less expensive 530, it might surprise you.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page