Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1418 Old 06-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm afraid you are wrong, sir. I'm not much for the complaining type, but this is most definitely an issue. I'm on my third TV, just picked it up.. and I'm praying that I will not see this sparkle issue. If I do, I'm returning this set for good and am going to rethink buying another Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post

The latest effort by the users of AVS to find a horrible fault with a catchy name for every single model of TV on the market

post #633 of 1418 Old 06-09-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post

I'm afraid you are wrong, sir. I'm not much for the complaining type, but this is most definitely an issue. I'm on my third TV, just picked it up.. and I'm praying that I will not see this sparkle issue. If I do, I'm returning this set for good and am going to rethink buying another Sony.

So you've had three now of the V series? All three have had the sparkles? I actually see that as good news. I mean, if it's that widespread (I see them too on my 46W4100), then Sony has to do something. They don't need this bad press.

I just hope it's something that can be fixed in firmware. Which brings me to something I posted in the W4100 thread: has Sony ever released a firmware update? Any speculation as to whether or not the sparkles could be fixed via firmware? I suspect it's in the processing being done, so hopefully it could be fixed via firmware.
post #634 of 1418 Old 06-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkman1 View Post

What is the URL where you check for service bulletins

Didn't say I got that info from a web site. I went by a local Sony Authorized Service shop I've dealt with for years (since SL5400 Betamax days) and they looked for a service bulletin concerning this on the Sony authorized service center only site. If there was one, they would certainly get paid by Sony for a service call to fix my TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazer75 View Post

has Sony ever released a firmware update? Any speculation as to whether or not the sparkles could be fixed via firmware? I suspect it's in the processing being done, so hopefully it could be fixed via firmware.

What I was told, if there is a firmware update (yes they do sometimes) it could be downloaded to a memory stick, then that gets plugged into the port on the back of the set and updated that way. Can be done in the field that way too. I hope that's correct! Also, if there was a hardware or processing chip or whatever update, that would be a board replacement. No component level stuff anymore.
post #635 of 1418 Old 06-09-2008, 09:26 PM

I just spent another night enjoying my set (40v4100), playing games, watching some hd tv content, espn hd and playing more games 360 & ps3. Sparkles was never an issue, never noticed them. I am sure they are there but I am not picking up on them.
I guess any set you buy and put under a microscope you will find flaws. There is no perfect tv set out there, they will all have there issues. whether it maybe one thing or the other. I had an a550 and would not think of going back to that.
I know I contacted Sony about the sparkle issue and they said they will pay for the service call (labor & parts) but after tonight I am going to wait on the service call. Do not want them ripping apart my set just yet.
post #636 of 1418 Old 06-09-2008, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yup im getting them too, just picked up my 2nd set(40v4100)and there are sparkles near the top end of the panel while playing Crysis, WoW and CoD4 on xbox 360.

All connects are via hdmi.

I like this piece alot, i picked up a sammy 40a550 cause reading on here the opinion is that it made a superior PC monitor, absolutely not true imo.

The a550 has smearing/ghost issues while gaming, yes i spent 3 days with it calibrating it and couldnt get rid of the issue, it is inherant of the set i believe.

Anyhoo, the Sony is NOT perfect, im experiencing sound skipping via hdmi3(connected to the 360)when i change sources and go back it stops skipping.

Could be the cable but at this point i doubt it.
With all that said i like the PQ on this piece while gaming(thats all i use this for.)the blacks are handled better than the a550 imo.
No ghosting whatsoever and this panel is supposedly 8ms compared to the a550's 5ms..yeah right.

Ill be calling Sony too about this issue, hopefully it can be fixed via firmware.
post #637 of 1418 Old 06-09-2008, 09:40 PM

Hello all - 1st post, so here goes:

I'm going to purchase a Sony LCD TV this week. I have a hefty Sony Style gift card to eliminate some of the pain with the purchase. 2 weeks ago, I fell in love with the 52" V4100 in my local Sony Style store. They were playing "Cars" off a Blu-Ray player - that's my only experience with the set.

I visited the Sony Style Outlet store 30 miles away this weekend and almost purchased a refurbished 46" XBR5 for $100 more than the 52" V4100. However, they were showing a movie on it "7 Days in Tibet" - my wife and I both immediately thought it was a cheaply filmed Soap Opera until the salesman told me which movie it was.

Now I'm reading about how great the 46" Z4100 is supposed to be. But it has the 120 Hz Motionflow that the XBR5 has - will I get the same Soap Opera look from my Blu-Ray movies? The V Series is on sale as of today ($200 cheaper). So my choices:

52" V4100
46" XBR5
46" Z4100

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've been reading these forums the past couple of days, have read about "Sparkle", have witnessed the Soap Opera effect first-hand, etc... and ultimately just want to make an educated decision to purchase a set I can have in my family room for years to come. I have a PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii and my family will be playing a lot of videogames on it. We're also going to watch a lot of Standard Definition TV (i.e. Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc...) - so a set that looks decent in SD would be great too.

Thanks in advance - sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
post #638 of 1418 Old 06-09-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fociz View Post

Yup im getting them too, just picked up my 2nd set(40v4100)and there are sparkles near the top end of the panel while playing Crysis, WoW and CoD4 on xbox 360.

All connects are via hdmi.

I like this piece alot, i picked up a sammy 40a550 cause reading on here the opinion is that it made a superior PC monitor, absolutely not true imo.

The a550 has smearing/ghost issues while gaming, yes i spent 3 days with it calibrating it and couldnt get rid of the issue, it is inherant of the set i believe.

Anyhoo, the Sony is NOT perfect, im experiencing sound skipping via hdmi3(connected to the 360)when i change sources and go back it stops skipping.

Could be the cable but at this point i doubt it.
With all that said i like the PQ on this piece while gaming(thats all i use this for.)the blacks are handled better than the a550 imo.
No ghosting whatsoever and this panel is supposedly 8ms compared to the a550's 5ms..yeah right.

Ill be calling Sony too about this issue, hopefully it can be fixed via firmware.

No set is perfect. I owned a a550 also and I will take this set any day over the a550 and its issues.
Sparkles are not really catching my eye during game play or movie watching. Only when I look for them. So I stopped looking for them.
I got my call into Sony, in the meantime, I am enjoying the set. It's great.
post #639 of 1418 Old 06-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum4Pigs View Post

Hello all - 1st post, so here goes:

I'm going to purchase a Sony LCD TV this week. I have a hefty Sony Style gift card to eliminate some of the pain with the purchase. 2 weeks ago, I fell in love with the 52" V4100 in my local Sony Style store. They were playing "Cars" off a Blu-Ray player - that's my only experience with the set.

I visited the Sony Style Outlet store 30 miles away this weekend and almost purchased a refurbished 46" XBR5 for $100 more than the 52" V4100. However, they were showing a movie on it "7 Days in Tibet" - my wife and I both immediately thought it was a cheaply filmed Soap Opera until the salesman told me which movie it was.

Now I'm reading about how great the 46" Z4100 is supposed to be. But it has the 120 Hz Motionflow that the XBR5 has - will I get the same Soap Opera look from my Blu-Ray movies? The V Series is on sale as of today ($200 cheaper). So my choices:

52" V4100
46" XBR5
46" Z4100

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've been reading these forums the past couple of days, have read about "Sparkle", have witnessed the Soap Opera effect first-hand, etc... and ultimately just want to make an educated decision to purchase a set I can have in my family room for years to come. I have a PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii and my family will be playing a lot of videogames on it. We're also going to watch a lot of Standard Definition TV (i.e. Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc...) - so a set that looks decent in SD would be great too.

Thanks in advance - sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

i'd go with the 52" V4100. the larger screen is more important than marginal gain in PQ/features. you can get the soap opera effect with the v4100 also, it's called Cinemotion, although the effect isn't as strong as the motionflow+cinemotion combo on the Z and Xbr4.
post #640 of 1418 Old 06-10-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski510 View Post

No set is perfect. I owned a a550 also and I will take this set any day over the a550 and its issues.

What issues did you have with the A550?
post #641 of 1418 Old 06-10-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolyte View Post

i'd go with the 52" V4100. the larger screen is more important than marginal gain in PQ/features. you can get the soap opera effect with the v4100 also, it's called Cinemotion, although the effect isn't as strong as the motionflow+cinemotion combo on the Z and Xbr4.

It should be pointed out that the "soap opera" effect is an optional thing and can be turned off via the menu.
post #642 of 1418 Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 AM

Thank you diabolyte and Kamikaze. Before I purchase, I'll ask the sales person to turn that feature off so I can see for myself. Leaning towards the 52" V4100 now.
post #643 of 1418 Old 06-10-2008, 12:49 PM

Been trying to find out this information with no luck. What is the response time for the 40V4100?

Nevermind. i just saw that it is 8ms a few posts above mine. But now is 8ms too high? Reason i'm asking is because i notice sometimes that on movies on fast scenes it tends to get really blurry. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I had never seen this before. I had the Samsung A550 before and I either didnt notice it or it didnt have the same problem.

Other than movies everything else seems to be fine. Sports, news casts etc.

Im not familiar with ghosting but could that be it? Can someone point me to a link where I can find out more about ghosting?
post #644 of 1418 Old 06-10-2008, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm nope the response time isnt responsible for this,as each manufacturer measures differently the response time
post #645 of 1418 Old 06-10-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beoba View Post

What issues did you have with the A550?

Internal speaker very poor. Cant adjust PQ settings in game mode. Game mode is way too bright for me, I play games in a dark environment. Found out that there is lag issues when not in game mode. I decided not to play in game mode on the a550 cause I could adjust everything I wanted, but now the lag issue come in to play. Grey scales not as good as the v4100. a550 was poor at showing detail on dark scenes. The v4100 you could see details in a picture that on the a550 it looked all black. a550 has one less hdmi port. I am using 4 hdmi items.
post #646 of 1418 Old 06-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Yep I was pleasantly surprised with the sound from my 40V4100's internal speakers. With the Dynamic sound mode On, and some extra bass +8 and treble +7, sounds great on everyday TV watching.
post #647 of 1418 Old 06-10-2008, 05:39 PM

I'm getting my 40V4100 soon! Can't wait to sit in a dark room watching a black screen. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll see clouds and sparkles!

Or maybe I can watch a Blu-ray and enjoy the great PQ.
post #648 of 1418 Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post

Yep I was pleasantly surprised with the sound from my 40V4100's internal speakers. With the Dynamic sound mode On, and some extra bass +8 and treble +7, sounds great on everyday TV watching.

Yes. This is the reason I returned the A550. I understand that you will not get great sound from an LCD but the sound coming from the A550 was downright awful. The V4100 has by far better sound quality then the A550. Aside from my "problem" posted a few posts up I'm loving this set.
post #649 of 1418 Old 06-10-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISGEOFROMGREE View Post

Hmm nope the response time isnt responsible for this,as each manufacturer measures differently the response time

Ok. Well it could be that I have cinemotion on. I have an HD Direct TV receiver hooked up via HDMI? Could that be the reason? Could it be that I have satellite HD instead of cable HD?

It's nothing big but I catch myself noticing this. When I play games, which is done more than 75% of the time on this set, everything is perfect.
post #650 of 1418 Old 06-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Though you're post was suppose to be humorous.. the sad thing is both issues take away from enjoying "great picture quality." For example, if you're watching a Blu-ray in 2.35:1 (which a lot of them are) then you'll notice the flashlighting and clouding in the corners and top/bottom of the screen. Also, if you happen to be watching a fairly "dimly lit" movie.. you'll notice the sparkles a lot as well! As you can see, these are hardly nitpicks and both significantly take away from viewing. The only saving grace is the fact that after a few minutes or so you're brain tends to tune these things out... but they are still there and if you suddenly think about em (which you probably will now that you know about them) you'll notice them immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnripley View Post

I'm getting my 40V4100 soon! Can't wait to sit in a dark room watching a black screen. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll see clouds and sparkles!

Or maybe I can watch a Blu-ray and enjoy the great PQ.

post #651 of 1418 Old 06-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

... the flashlighting and clouding in the corners and top/bottom of the screen. Also, if you happen to be watching a fairly "dimly lit" movie.. you'll notice the sparkles a lot as well!

I guess I got a good one I don't see any flashlighting or clouding. (Certainly not like the Viewsonic monitor-HDTV I have - terrible. I need to send that thing in while it's still in warranty.) Yes on the sparkles though. I think Sony will come up with a fix for that eventually.
post #652 of 1418 Old 06-10-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:

Though you're post was suppose to be humorous.. the sad thing is both issues take away from enjoying "great picture quality." For example, if you're watching a Blu-ray in 2.35:1 (which a lot of them are) then you'll notice the flashlighting and clouding in the corners and top/bottom of the screen. Also, if you happen to be watching a fairly "dimly lit" movie.. you'll notice the sparkles a lot as well! As you can see, these are hardly nitpicks and both significantly take away from viewing. The only saving grace is the fact that after a few minutes or so you're brain tends to tune these things out... but they are still there and if you suddenly think about em (which you probably will now that you know about them) you'll notice them immediately.

I know the sparkles are there, but I quit looking for them and it never grabs my attention.
The v4100 doesnt have anymore flashlighting or clouding then the a550. All LCD have this.
When I am playing a game or watching a movie, I am into that game or movie. I am not looking for PQ defects. Don't notice them. I am enjoying the game or movie.
All sets have one problem or the other. I feel the the v4100 has less noticeable problems then its main competition, the a550.
I would rather have a sparkle on my v4100 during online play, (which goes unnoticed) then some major lag on the a550 during online play (which is a major pain is the %#@) any day.
The sound, you can not help but notice that the sound quality on the v4100 blows the Sammys 550 series out of the water. Watch a music video on the a550 using the internal speakers. You will notice the poor sound. Even with the Sammy sound settings found on the a550 calibration thread.
Sony v4100 crushes the Sammy a550 in the Game Mode factor. If your a gamer then the v4100 is the hands down winner (with a sparkle).
I am comparing the Samsung 550 series to the Sony v4100 because I feel this is biggest competition.
During blu-ray movies, the color, black level and black detail destroys the a550, even with a sparkle or two. .
Anyways, I don't not feel anyone should return your v4100 over a couple of sparkles. This set destroys its main competition the a550.
post #653 of 1418 Old 06-10-2008, 10:08 PM

Even If I was a non gamer, this is the set I would still own for HDTV viewing, DVDs, and Blu-ray movies. For Blu-ray the v4100 handles 1080p 24 better then the a550. Even with a sparkle during the scrolling movie credits at the end of the show.
post #654 of 1418 Old 06-11-2008, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombra28 View Post

Ok. Well it could be that I have cinemotion on. I have an HD Direct TV receiver hooked up via HDMI? Could that be the reason? Could it be that I have satellite HD instead of cable HD?

It's nothing big but I catch myself noticing this. When I play games, which is done more than 75% of the time on this set, everything is perfect.

hmm I dont know if thats the reason of the problem,but anyway if its nothing big just leave it and enjoy the rest!
post #655 of 1418 Old 06-11-2008, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

It's not just a "couple of sparkles," its actually quite a few and it shouldn't occur at all.
post #656 of 1418 Old 06-11-2008, 04:59 AM

I own the 37xbr6, and it looks like the v4100 series and the smaller xbr6s share the same technology. I love the picture quality and don't regret buying it. However, if I look close, I also see sparkles in black backgrounds. I have to really concentrate and look for them, but I do see them. Since I don't notice them while watching a movie or playing videogames, it's not a deal breaker for me. However, it would be nice if it didn't do it.
post #657 of 1418 Old 06-11-2008, 05:32 AM

I also agree, that the set should not have any sparkles. I made my call to Sony about it. If you call Sony they will offer to send out an Authorized Service Tech to your home free of charge. But for me right now, it does not bother me when watching tv or playing games.
post #658 of 1418 Old 06-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

if i buy the 40 inch Z instead of the 46" will i be missing anything PQ wise?? or is there no difference cept for size?? i wanna save some money by going wit the 40 but dont wanna lose out on detail and stuff that are really important to me for PQ if i get the 40 inch...
post #659 of 1418 Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski510 View Post

Internal speaker very poor. Cant adjust PQ settings in game mode. Game mode is way too bright for me, I play games in a dark environment. Found out that there is lag issues when not in game mode. I decided not to play in game mode on the a550 cause I could adjust everything I wanted, but now the lag issue come in to play. Grey scales not as good as the v4100. a550 was poor at showing detail on dark scenes. The v4100 you could see details in a picture that on the a550 it looked all black. a550 has one less hdmi port. I am using 4 hdmi items.

i find this to the same issue on the 650 sets..yea it has great blacks but has horrible shadow detail..i was watching a commercial and the guy had a black suit on and you couldnt even tell where the fold in the suit were cuz it was so black with no detail but on the sony next to it( iwanna say it was the w3000) you could see every detail and fold in the jacket..i just hope sony gets this sparkle thing out the way cuz i want the Z series which i may just purchase anyhow and call a tech if i have a problem
post #660 of 1418 Old 06-11-2008, 07:30 PM

I had some flashlighting in the upper corners when the BL was over 8 when I first got the set...I no longer see them. No idea about the sparkles...I see none at all...my set is running SD programming like all the time...I see no sparkles at all. (I do not strech the image, black bars on the sides). I have watched a few 2:35 BR movies and again do not see any sparkles...

Loving this set!!! HD programming looks so good! PS3 and XBOX360 gaming looks so good! Me = happy!!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page