Sony Kdl-v4100 Series 1080p - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1418 Old 04-27-2008, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys sorry for being late with pictures but here are some pics of the tv. put on pirates of the carribean on it, alot harder to take pics than i thought. and i put the same image on both the sony and the samsung a550 for people on the fence for these two comparable models. any questions let me know

The Sony In Dynamic

The Samsung a550 in dynamic

The Samsung a550 in Standard

The Sony In Standard Picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1418 Old 04-27-2008, 06:00 PM

I got the TV today and all I can say is WOW! This picture is amazing out of the box. I just had to change the picture from vivid to custom to change the backlight because it was so bright! After that, I kept the original settings.

The stand is does not swivel. The clear plastic/glassy part of the bottom is quite unique and like it a lot. Make sure you put all of your wires in the holder behind the stand so you don't see the wires thru that clear plastic. The power indicators, timer, remote sensor and light sensor is all on there so don't put black tape.

Oh and the light sensor that changes the picture settings to the current lighting of the room sucks. It made the picture very dark so keep that feature off. (The room was in natural light with the blinds open.)

The speakers sound great compared to the Polaroid that I had. That TV sounded like it had mono speakers in it. The entire bar on the bottom is the speaker. You have an option to shut the TV speakers off and run your surround sound or use both.

As for clouding or flashlights, I don't see any on the corners of the screen and the image is very crisp. The blacks are true black not a dark gray like most TVs emit.

I have a some questions that I can't figure out. When i'm changing from a HD channel to a standard 4:3 station on my cable box, there is a lag for it to change. Could it be my cable box from Comcast or the settings on the TV?

Second question/problem is, I'm trying to hook up my antenna and search for channels. When the search is done, it's not picking up all the stations and some come in very snowy and audio noise. The antenna is pointing in all the right directions but I don't know what i’m doing wrong.

Final question, how do I use the QAM feature? I'm hooked up to cable so I don't know if I can feed some channels unless I use a splitter and try that.

Sorry if the picture is blurry. Blame Photobucket (sorry for the big picture)

post #93 of 1418 Old 04-27-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine85 View Post

I got the TV today and all I can say is WOW! This picture is amazing out of the box. I just had to change the picture from vivid to custom to change the backlight because it was so bright! After that, I kept the original settings.

The stand is does not swivel. The clear plastic/glassy part of the bottom is quite unique and like it a lot. Make sure you put all of your wires in the holder behind the stand so you don't see the wires thru that clear plastic. The power indicators, timer, remote sensor and light sensor is all on there so don't put black tape.

Oh and the light sensor that changes the picture settings to the current lighting of the room sucks. It made the picture very dark so keep that feature off. (The room was in natural light with the blinds open.)

The speakers sound great compared to the Polaroid that I had. That TV sounded like it had mono speakers in it. The entire bar on the bottom is the speaker. You have an option to shut the TV speakers off and run your surround sound or use both.

As for clouding or flashlights, I don't see any on the corners of the screen and the image is very crisp. The blacks are true black not a dark gray like most TVs emit.

I have a some questions that I can't figure out. When i'm changing from a HD channel to a standard 4:3 station on my cable box, there is a lag for it to change. Could it be my cable box from Comcast or the settings on the TV?

Second question/problem is, I'm trying to hook up my antenna and search for channels. When the search is done, it's not picking up all the stations and some come in very snowy and audio noise. The antenna is pointing in all the right directions but I don't know what i'm doing wrong.

Final question, how do I use the QAM feature? I'm hooked up to cable so I don't know if I can feed some channels unless I use a splitter and try that.

congrats on the set so to answer some questions.

1. it is the box, if you dont want lag you have to force out the box to 1080i or 720p if you do a search of your box model or call your cable company they should direct you in how to do that.

2.make sure the tv is set to antenna and not cable or it may not pick up the hd channels,

3. the QAM should just work, nothing to turn on, but it depends how the cable company scrambles the channels.
post #94 of 1418 Old 04-27-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the comparison. Yes, the Sony does appear to show a sharper, crispier picture than the Samsung, just wish I'd see this up close and personal for myself, tho, and not just in a screenshot.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #95 of 1418 Old 04-27-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruintraining View Post

congrats on the set so to answer some questions.

1. it is the box, if you dont want lag you have to force out the box to 1080i or 720p if you do a search of your box model or call your cable company they should direct you in how to do that.

2.make sure the tv is set to antenna and not cable or it may not pick up the hd channels,

3. the QAM should just work, nothing to turn on, but it depends how the cable company scrambles the channels.

1. It's the box. It was set to 1080i and I switched it to 720p. I still got the same thing so I guess I can live with it.

2. I took out the manual to figure out how to get cable off and switch to antenna. Took awhile but I got it lol.

3. I'll figure out the QAM tomorrow. It was orginally set to cable when I did a TV search all the channels came out snowy. They might be scrambled then.

Thanks for your help!
post #96 of 1418 Old 04-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

thanks Guru for those nice pics. from these pics I can tell that the new video processing of the V4100 probably matches or even exceeds that of the old XBR4. blacks look very nice and deep too, even in dynamic settings. I think I can describe the PQ of the v4100 as matching the XBR4 but without the 120hz. also, there's no question that the video processing with high quality 1080p content is simply superior on the sony, I've done this comparison a million times and it is evident in those screenshots. for me, clarity, sharpness, and details are the most important aspect of PQ. so I think in this regard, the v4100 outpaces the sammy 550 easily.

now if Sony delivers the W4100 with even better PQ and improved 120hz motionflow then I think it's going to be one of the best sets for the money. the W4100 has the potential to be the new and improved XBR4 but without the huge premium. I can't wait to get my hands on a 52" W.
post #97 of 1418 Old 04-27-2008, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

So, all in all, you would most likely expect the W4100 to basically be exactly like the XBR4 in all aspects, whilst the Z4100 is more like the XBR5, I take it. Other than that, this does seem rather interesting.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #98 of 1418 Old 04-27-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post

So, all in all, you would most likely expect the W4100 to basically be exactly like the XBR4 in all aspects, whilst the Z4100 is more like the XBR5, I take it. Other than that, this does seem rather interesting.

id say really bang for your buck will be the w4100, the z really ads as it seems will be the DLNA. which i think its too soon for consumers to take advantage of it. but i may be wrong as these gas prices sky rocket more people may be taking advantage of nights at home.
post #99 of 1418 Old 04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

I heard the Z series are 10bit panels, but can't confirm it. They don't mention whether the V or W are 8 bit panels either. So who knows. I would shell out more bucks for the DLNA on the Z, but too bad it only goes up to 46". of course there's always the 52xbr6, but i can't afford that. besides, my PS3 is already DLNA capabe.
post #100 of 1418 Old 04-27-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Right, so just like the A650 and A750 Samsungs, that's the differences we should expect in the W and Z series, I take it. Much like the A550 and this V4100, obviously. Guess that's a fair comparison.

post #101 of 1418 Old 04-27-2008, 10:52 PM

Wow, whats up with the pricing on this set? Did Sony turn into a sensibly priced brand overnight?

In terms of performance specs, its similar to an XBR4, but is literally half the price of an XBR4 in the Sonystyle store. I never thought Id see the day when a Sony LCD set is making a comparable Toshiba LCD look expensive.

*note: I just noticed that this set doesn't have any mention of HDMI 1.3 or any of the related 1.3 features. I guess this could be one of the reasons why it's cheaper. I wonder what else they left out?
post #102 of 1418 Old 04-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

yeh competition is good. for us! lol
post #103 of 1418 Old 04-27-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTVic View Post

This thread and the question about box size is for the KDL-V4100. If I am not mistaken you said earlier you purchased an older XBR model. Your comments about box size and clouding are probably confusing to people who are here to discuss the V4100.

Actually, i asked if it is still a problem with the new sets.
post #104 of 1418 Old 04-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

wow it does looker sharper than the sony...but what about the clouding, mura, flashlighting, and ESPECIALLY the smearing issue?? what has happened to all these problems to they still exist the most major compaints on last gens models were that they had major clouding, mura, flashlighting and smearing..since smearing is my main concern is this still present on teh v4100?? no one seems to have mentioned smearing only clouding and flashlighting!!! to the people who have the TV already is it bad or is Bill Stewart the only one to experince this problem
post #105 of 1418 Old 04-28-2008, 07:47 AM

Christine - nice to see another owner that likes their 40V4100

Guru - thanks for the pics; nice to see the side by side comparison with the Samsung
post #106 of 1418 Old 04-28-2008, 08:53 AM

I just placed an order for a Sony KDL-40V4100 this morning. I'm just waiting to receive a shipping confirmation from where I work.
post #107 of 1418 Old 04-28-2008, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyGoD View Post

Wow, whats up with the pricing on this set? Did Sony turn into a sensibly priced brand overnight?

In terms of performance specs, its similar to an XBR4, but is literally half the price of an XBR4 in the Sonystyle store. I never thought Id see the day when a Sony LCD set is making a comparable Toshiba LCD look expensive.

*note: I just noticed that this set doesn't have any mention of HDMI 1.3 or any of the related 1.3 features. I guess this could be one of the reasons why it's cheaper. I wonder what else they left out?

Yeah, but Sony may have had to cut a lot of corners to get that competitive price. Just like Sony had to cut a lot of corners with the PS3 to compete with Microsoft on the X360. Same thing may be true with their televisions.

EDIT: Just as a side note, since you were talking about a Toshiba, I understand that yesterday, one of the "big three" television shopping networks was offering a 42" 120Hz Regza for about the same price that you would expect from the KDL-46V4100, so you're actually getting a bigger TV from Sony for that price, but not exactly the 120Hz like Toshiba had. I can live with that sacrifice to get the better size for that price, trust me, especially from the biggest brand on the planet in Sony. On top of that, maybe "Big River" may even offer the W4100 46" for the same price that "The Big Q" offered for the Toshiba 42" 120Hz.

post #108 of 1418 Old 04-28-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STILESP113 View Post

wow it does looker sharper than the sony...but what about the clouding, mura, flashlighting, and ESPECIALLY the smearing issue?? what has happened to all these problems to they still exist the most major compaints on last gens models were that they had major clouding, mura, flashlighting and smearing..since smearing is my main concern is this still present on teh v4100?? no one seems to have mentioned smearing only clouding and flashlighting!!! to the people who have the TV already is it bad or is Bill Stewart the only one to experince this problem

from looking at the display at my store it looks fine to me. also i dont see any smearing that was prevelant with the last year model sonys. i think this is why they upgraded their processor beacuse of the smearing.
post #109 of 1418 Old 04-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

whats the difference between teh xbr6/7 and teh Z series?? anything serious or will the Z suit my needs just finely?!!??is it supposed to be better than the Z?? is the xbr6/7 coming out around the same time as teh Z or later?? ahhhhh the wait!!!sry for all teh questions lol just excited like a 6th grade school boy who got his first boner
post #110 of 1418 Old 04-28-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Heh... I'd just get easily excited about the W4100 series, since that's going to be, as you said, where the features, price, quality, and performance are going to be at their best, and I'll believe that, and hope that "Big River" will offer the W4100 for a great value later this year. Just lemme know when some reviews start pouring in for some of these earlier models this year, and if they can easily be recommended.

I mean, I just better hope those rumours about the W4100 being on par with the same specs as the XBR4, if not just a touch better, will be true. I certainly don't want something that claims just to have those features, and not have some of that old fashioned Sony quality to back it up from higher-end models from last year.

post #111 of 1418 Old 04-28-2008, 09:35 PM

Hi all...

I had a Sammy LNT4061F for almost a month. It was a great TV but last week I got 3 dead pixels show up in the middle of the screen. So I wanted to replace it but then I read about new Sony V4100 series...(i always liked SONY...for PQ)
So I did exchange Sammy 4061 for Sony KDL-40V4100.
And just after a day I must say that sony has much better PQ and much less noise in the picture. Since I have only OTA few HD channels I mostly watch SD dishnetwork sattelite. And that is big impovement. With sammy if I wanted to have nice dynamic picture it would than amplify all the noise to the point that PQ was terrible. So I used to watch the picture mostly in Movie mode.
But with Sony the picture is dynamic ...."POP" efect and the noise is kept at minimum...even my wife noticed the PQ improvement over sammy. And I spend lot of time calibrating Sammy...
Sony out of the box "standart mode" ...... just perfect...and you have beautiful "pop" efect....
The HD has also noticeable less noise in the picture.
The black levels of the Sammy were awsome and I thought nothing can be better but sony has black that are sick.....like black hole that wants to suck you in.
I'm very pleased with SONY....definitely an upgrade for me. Just for $300 more than Sammy 4061F .....well worth it. (paid $1349 for Sony at CC last night )
post #112 of 1418 Old 04-28-2008, 09:57 PM

Have been lurking on these forums for awhile, but I'm a first time poster. Just got a v4100 today. I came very close to plunking down an extra $600 for an XBR4, but this thread plus my own in-store testing has me convinced that the extra money is simply not justified for the difference in PQ between the two panels (plus, I find the 120mhz-mode to be oddly jarring). I've been trying out a few of my reference standard def DVDs on the set (Amadeus, Return of the King, Master and Commander) and with the 1080p upscaling provided by the PS3 they look great. I also just picked up GTA4 from a store around the corner from me that was open at midnight to sell it, so by tomorrow I'll have some words on how the v4100 functions in a gaming environment.

I am very eager for a "KDL-v4100 Settings" thread to start and gather some steam. My only observation thus far is that standard-def content, specifically DVDs in 480p out of my old player, look much better with "Theater Mode" turned on. It seems to soften the picture a bit which drowns out some of the harshness and eases jagged edges. I'll post some pictures in the next day or so for comparison.

Any other tips on how to maximize the 480p output of this set would be greatly appreciated, as I hate to have to stress my PS3 every time I want to watch a movie from my collection.
post #113 of 1418 Old 04-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

omg you guys are so lucky! stop teasing us with the awesomeness. lol jk

so far it looks like the V4100 is going to be one of the best bang for the buck sets out there. I'm excited to hear you guys liked it. can't wait to see it in person and hopefully bring one home.
post #114 of 1418 Old 04-28-2008, 11:34 PM

the contrast ratio is very small compared to the samsung a550. does that not matter since each company measures contrast ratio differently?

i have the 4069f and i think i will return it for this sony. very nice.
post #115 of 1418 Old 04-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

yeh contrast ratios are mostly marketing fluff, especially inflated dynamic contrast ratios numbers, they don't really mean anything.
post #116 of 1418 Old 04-29-2008, 12:12 AM

I'm curious how the white balance adjustment works on this set. The manual does not detail out how the white balance is adjusted in the Picture Adjustments->Advanced Settings->White Balance.

I'm interested in what options/adjustments are available there. Are there bias/offset and/or gain adjustments available for Red/Green/Blue?

Much thanks in advance!
post #117 of 1418 Old 04-29-2008, 02:54 AM

the standard pictures are looking better than those with dynamic contrast
post #118 of 1418 Old 04-29-2008, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, even tho I was originally gonna consider a 46" V, the family's telling me that may be a little overkill, but to me, that seems to almost be the right size for a 1080p set, imo. However, if I can deal with a 40", I may probably consider a W or Z series, for the 120Hz MotionFlow. At least it'll probably be more futureproof to do so. Probably going higher-end in a smaller size may be sufficient, not quite XBR, tho. I mean, in a 12x10' room, I believe that the average viewing distance would be about 5 - 7' if I have my chair in the middle of the room. I'll think this one over...

post #119 of 1418 Old 04-29-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
How do you guys judge picture quality by looking at a digital photo of a TV, displayed on your LCD monitor?
post #120 of 1418 Old 04-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

well of course we can't judge a sets overall PQ just by looking at those pics, but they are good for comparing the overall sharpness and details aspect of PQ. from those pics, I can see the differences on my LCD monitor. and when I see them in person, the differences are actually even more pronounced because it's in motion and everything is much more detailed than the digital photos.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page