Sony Kdl-v4100 Series 1080p - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1418 Old 05-22-2009, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks - I'm very confused whether to go for the 40v4100 model or the 40v5100 model. I realize 5100 is a newer version - but it appears to have major problems with the auto dimming feature. Has that been completely fixed?
As I went through this thread - it looks like the 4100 received a firmware update too. As a result - I'm confused even more. Which one would you go for?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1418 Old 05-22-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused_shopper View Post

Hi folks - I'm very confused whether to go for the 40v4100 model or the 40v5100 model. I realize 5100 is a newer version - but it appears to have major problems with the auto dimming feature. Has that been completely fixed?
As I went through this thread - it looks like the 4100 received a firmware update too. As a result - I'm confused even more. Which one would you go for?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I bought the 4100 on Black Friday and have been very pleased. I had no issues at all with any of sparkling etc. I had a slight issue with the stand leaning forward in the beginning, but I always planned on using a floating stand and it looks great on that. Since I was not having any issues, I have never applied any of the firmware updates. I would have no reservations recommending the 40v4100 to any of my friends or family.
post #1263 of 1418 Old 05-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The 4100 has had several software updates, as I suspect all digital TVs are subject to, not just Sony. Most have some provision to do an update to the software-firmware. First update I did via the USB connection and a USB drive Sony sent me, to get rid of the sparkles. Then this week I learned that the automatic update is indeed working when I received one overnight via an OTA station. No problems with anything after the recent update that brought it up to current 205r. This recent update did seem to make the muting, timing or whatever was happening when changing from one channel to another, faster.

Today is my 1 year anniversary of buying this set. It runs from 7:30 AM til 11:30 PM every day, 7 days a week. Over 5,800 hours on it so far. Still excellent, no problems. If you go back a few posts you will see the summary of what all the cumulative updates addressed. I have seen absolutely no degradation or other problems after the updates.

Only thing that concerns me about the auto-update is, what happens if it crashes your set, something goes wrong, and it's out of warranty? Not too sure I like the Fix it even if it AIN'T Broke philosophy there, but so far all OK.
post #1264 of 1418 Old 05-22-2009, 11:33 AM

Thanks for your replies.
As far as the 4100 goes - I feel it didn't have too many issues to start with, maybe minor ones.
But if you've noticed ratings for 5100 on websites like Amazon.com - people have rated it like 2 or 1 on 5 due to the initial 'auto dim' problem, and subsequently revised their rating to 5 on 5.
If you were me -what would you do? Looks like 4100 is being 'phased out ' - its not offered for sale at all places. Would you go for a newer model with an issue that is not 'fixed', or an older, phased-out, but tried and tested model?
Thanks!
post #1265 of 1418 Old 05-22-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your replies.
As far as the 4100 goes - I feel it didn't have too many issues to start with, maybe minor ones.
But if you've noticed ratings for 5100 on websites like Amazon.com - people have rated it like 2 or 1 on 5 due to the initial 'auto dim' problem, and subsequently revised their rating to 5 on 5.
If you were me -what would you do? Looks like 4100 is being 'phased out ' - its not offered for sale at all places. Would you go for a newer model with an issue that is not 'fixed', or an older, phased-out, but tried and tested model?
Thanks!

well if i were u and having this problem i should go for a new brand and new tv........
post #1266 of 1418 Old 05-22-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numan2good View Post

well if i were u and having this problem i should go for a new brand and new tv........

That's probably a smart idea, but I have this 'brand obsession' for Sony
post #1267 of 1418 Old 05-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks!

4100 series is 2008. 5100 is 2009. Sometimes new is better, sometimes not. Don't know about you, but for ME I would get the 4100 while I still could because it has the user controls on TOP of the set which makes it a heck of a lot easier to operate standing in front of it. Mine sits on top of a 20" tall cabinet so the center of the screen is at eye level when sitting down.

Also I needed the Variable Audio Output option which they removed from the 5100. I plug a Sony powered sub-woofer into my 4100's L/R audio outputs, set to "Variable" in the menu, and I can use the sub with the TV's built-in speakers, the volume of the TV and sub are controlled together by the TV remote. Plus, don't have to run the big AV receiver 16 hours a day to get a little bass enhancement. I am very disappointed that Sony has eliminated the Fixed/VARIABLE audio output from the new 2009 sets at least the ones I've looked at so far. I was thinking about buying a 46" or 52" 5100, and moving my 40 in the bedroom, but I will just save my money. Or maybe pick up one of last year's models while I still can. (Thanks a lot Sony! You likely lost a sale saving maybe a few cents.)
post #1268 of 1418 Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 PM

Liked: 12
I also had the problem with the set leaning forward on the stand when I got the 4100 almost a year ago, had to correct it by picking up three bolts (two for the back of the top of the tv, one for the stand) and some thin rope and tightening as much as I could. I still don't think it's 100% even, it's still maybe leaning a tad to the left, but it's not noticeable at all if I'm watching from the left or the center.

As for my customizing the settings for the blu-ray hdmi port, I've simply decided to turn the sharpness all the way down to minimum after realizing that 15 isn't so much "neutral" as it is "halfway to maximum." The sharpness looks like noise and not grain. It makes sense to have it at 15 in the "standard" preset because you have all the other settings working in tandem. I'm going to try out "cinema" and see how I like it.
post #1269 of 1418 Old 05-28-2009, 11:36 AM

I just got the v4100 46" . I have an issue. For some reason when I restart it shows the initial bios screen and then nothing happens. It's just black. This doesn't happen when I connect it to my old lcd monitor. When I restart it I have to connect it to the old one and then plug it into the new lcd.
post #1270 of 1418 Old 05-29-2009, 09:28 AM

I've had the 52v4100 for nearly a year now (Sony replaced my ailing SXRD with it). I've always noticed that the blacks aren't perfect, and I'm wondering if I should get the set looked at before the warranty runs out.

The problem: Blue-ish areas around a black center. That is to say, if I see a black background, I only see true black in the middle, but there are blue areas around it.

Is this a typical problem? I can't find anything about this online. Is there a fix?

I'm going to update the firmware tonight to see if this helps.

Thanks for any information!

Fredericton, NB Canada
post #1271 of 1418 Old 05-29-2009, 05:38 PM

Please disregard my previous post. I've discovered that it's called "clouding" and "flashlight" effect. It's also not as bad as some examples I've seen posted.

Thanks.

Fredericton, NB Canada
post #1272 of 1418 Old 05-30-2009, 04:47 PM

I just bought the 40V4100 @ BestBuy. I'm using it as a PC Monitor via HDMI. Does anyone know how I can get the TV to ignore that the Input is a PC so I can access the picture settings like color, sharpness and the other advanced settings?
post #1273 of 1418 Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 PM

After playing with the TV the entire day i'm seeing some light leaking out of the top corners. Will a firmware update fix this or should I get the unit exchanged?
post #1274 of 1418 Old 06-03-2009, 01:03 AM

did the firmware help? I'm seeing light leaking from the top corners on mine. Are all the v4100's like this?
post #1275 of 1418 Old 06-03-2009, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrcastro View Post

Are all the v4100's like this?

Nope. I've had mine since Black friday and so far no banding, flashlighting or sparklies for me. Original firmware from the factory.
post #1276 of 1418 Old 06-03-2009, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrcastro View Post

did the firmware help? I'm seeing light leaking from the top corners on mine. Are all the v4100's like this?

More a characteristic of LCD panels in general, not just the V4100, or Sony.
post #1277 of 1418 Old 06-06-2009, 06:41 AM

Amazing picture and design. I just received this set from Bestbuy online, had a deal I couldnt pass up. I had been reseaching for about 2 months trying to find the best trade off between quality and price. Originally, I was drawn to the 720p Samsung and Panasonic plasmas. After the price dropped on this one, and with the Sony reliability, I jumped.

I have to say, the picture is great. Some of the reviews on here dont really clarify that. I have had experience with Panasonic Plasmas, Hitachi HD CRT's, Samsung DLP's, and Samsung LCD's. This picture does not get beat by any of them, IMO. And I would say that it definitely beats the DLP,CRT, and even the panny plasma. All I watch is sports, and this set performs AMAZINGLY, cant wait for football season. Blacks are super black, whites are white, and clarity is great. These will probably be discounted now since it is an older line so if you are like me and wanted a great set and a reasonable price, this one will satisfy you and more.

GO ECU Pirates!!
post #1278 of 1418 Old 06-06-2009, 07:22 AM

Here is my configuration from the service menu, the colors are more natural now, where RGB is maintained at 100% and the calibration is under IRE100 and D65

My configuration:

Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 1
Photo: 90
53 Brightness: 53
Color: 47
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 1
Sharpness: 6

White Balance menu:
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: 0
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

RGB menu of services:

R_DVR: FE
G_DVR: 100
B_DVR: E8
R_BKG: 203
G_BKG: 200
B_BKG: 204

Cinemotion: off
Mode of play: I will be apart of the games

Energy saving: Off
Light sensor: Off

testing and sent me their opinions .......
post #1279 of 1418 Old 06-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

I see Fry's (no affiliation) is closing out the 40V4100 today for $699! (Mine cost me $1289 a year ago) Almost tempted to buy another one as a spare!
post #1280 of 1418 Old 06-10-2009, 10:49 AM

I'm looking at the 46v4100, as was wondering if anyone had any pictures of what SD looks like on this TV? I'm planning on doing a lot of netflix streaming / hulu desktop / DVD watching / Wii Playing and none of those things need the 1080p levels (someday I'll be upgrading to a ps3).

I've read in this thread that the SD is decent, but would love to see a pic or two. I'll be sitting ~9-10' away from the screen.

Long story short, I want to like this TV, but since it's old I can't see it in action anywhere (I've called around my local stores), and I'm quite wary of buying without seeing first.
post #1281 of 1418 Old 06-11-2009, 02:21 PM

Can anyone recommend me a subwoofer to use with this tv? I've heard one of the appeals of this model is the audio outputs which allow you to use the internal speakers (which are better than average) with an external sub. I'd like to do this so I can stop using my pc speakers and have less wires. Can anyone recommend a stand alone subwoofer to use. Or a few?
post #1282 of 1418 Old 06-12-2009, 05:38 AM

[quote=mrtall;16620448]I'm looking at the 46v4100, as was wondering if anyone had any pictures of what SD looks like on this TV? I'm planning on doing a lot of netflix streaming / hulu desktop / DVD watching / Wii Playing and none of those things need the 1080p levels (someday I'll be upgrading to a ps3).

Yes, the SD content is good. I believe all HDTV's are similar in SD, which is not that great. But this one has pretty good SD while I have been watching ESPNU SD basbeball...looked great.

Where did you find a 46" at? Decent price?
post #1283 of 1418 Old 06-12-2009, 09:03 AM

How are the speakers on this?
post #1284 of 1418 Old 06-13-2009, 08:30 AM

Speakers work very well. Even has many adjustments for them too.
post #1285 of 1418 Old 06-13-2009, 12:20 PM

Okay, I'm having a weird problem.

After the dtv switchover on friday, I decided to break out the ol' rabbit ears and do a fresh, over-the-air channel scan for the first time since getting the set almost a year ago. Obviously I remembered to switch from "cable" to "antenna" in the tv's menu. Anyway, I did the scan mainly out of curiosity for any new digital stations in my area. Then I reconnected the cable, switched back to "cable" in the menu, and did a fresh scan of that also. That's when the problem started.

I should first clarify that I don't use a cable box, it's just straight out of the wall. Before this problem, We'd get the usual 70 or so analog cable channels, plus most of the HD stuff we'd be getting over the air like the local NBC, FOX, ABC, CBS et cetera stations. During the scan, everything went pretty much as expected up until the tuner started finding the digital channels. For a while it was zero channels found, then 5, then 11. Then I noticed the progress bar jumped ahead a larger increment than normal. I've gone through this several times over the past 24 hours, and what happens next is the screen either goes totally blank (but the purple background color is still there, just no shapes or anything) or I get a screen of vertical black bars. Then the tv will, for lack of a better word, "restart." The channel display in the upper right corner is really tiny and everything, just like when I turn the tv on.

Everything was still pretty much the same except - and here's what's really annoying me - I don't get several of the local HD stations like I did before. NBC, FOX, ABC and CBS, all of their HD stations are gone. When I try tuning to them, I don't get a signal. Of the major networks, the only one I get in HD now is the CW. Also, the local PBS HD channel is now 720p and not 1080i, maybe that's just a coincidence though.

So I'm wondering if I somehow screwed something up, if the set is screwed up or if Cox is somehow overriding something when I do the scan (I don't know why that would result in my set spontaneously restarting though).

Anyway, any guesses as to what's wrong would be appreciated.
post #1286 of 1418 Old 06-13-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

How are you re-scanning? Are you using Auto-program or Add Digital channels? I would try different combinations of both, unplugging the TV in between scans. It seems like a mapping issue to me. If your HD CBS is 3.1, it will be 3.1 for both OTA and QAM. It sounds like when it finds 3.1 in the QAM scan, it is treating it like a duplicate(since it already has 3.1 info saved from the OTA scan) and skipping over it. I hope that makes sense. Good luck.
post #1287 of 1418 Old 06-13-2009, 10:56 PM

What you're saying makes sense, LongRufus. What still doesn't make sense is why the tv is basically restarting itself every time I try to scan. I've tried just about everything now, including what you suggested, and the tv still isn't cooperating with me. I'm really starting to think that I inadvertently activated some bug when I did that OTA scan and then switched back to cable. Would updating the firmware possible fix this? It's a 40v4100.

EDIT: Wow, okay, I went to sony's website and one of the problems that the latest firmware update corrects is exactly the problem I'm experiencing.
post #1288 of 1418 Old 06-13-2009, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang Zei View Post

What you're saying makes sense, LongRufus. What still doesn't make sense is why the tv is basically restarting itself every time I try to scan. I've tried just about everything now, including what you suggested, and the tv still isn't cooperating with me. I'm really starting to think that I inadvertently activated some bug when I did that OTA scan and then switched back to cable. Would updating the firmware possible fix this? It's a 40v4100.

At this point, it probably won't hurt to try it. The one thing I would do is look for a support 800 number in the paperwork that came with the set and see if maybe they have a factory reset routine you can do with the remote. It sounds like you may have some corrupted data written from the OTA scan and that is what's causing the restart. If they have a way for you to wipe all saved settings since it left the factory, you would probably be in good shape again.
post #1289 of 1418 Old 06-14-2009, 12:40 AM

See: the edit in my last post. I tried resetting it anyway, but the same problem still happened during the initial setup.
post #1290 of 1418 Old 06-16-2009, 10:38 AM

I've just seen a movie first time on 1080p that is some amazing [IMG]http://www.****************/stubby/097e26b2ffb0339458b55da17425a71f.gif[/IMG]performance out there!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page