Sony Kdl-v4100 Series 1080p - Page 48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1411 of 1418 Old 09-11-2011, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks Ed, I appreciate that.
I've also posted on agoraquest, which is supposed to be a forum that is frequented by Sony techs, so if I find out anything else I'll post it here.

[EDIT] OK so here is some new info to chew on:

I started messing around with the picture settings again with the same results (none!) with the OTA signal.

But then I switched to my PS3 over HDMI and I was able to get the picture back to 99% normal.
In picture settings I lowered the picture setting to 0 and upped the brightness as high as it could go and the colors seemed to go back to normal but the picture was very dark. By tweaking all of the other options manually and watching their effects on the picture I managed to get a 99% normal picture (blacks are not as deep and the brightness is still fairly low, but no weird colors or ghosting)

However these changes did very little to improve the OTA or DVD (rca) signals and any changes are barely noticeable. I've also noticed that not only is there the problem with the colors and ghosting with regular TV but there also seem to be the faint traces of wide vertical bands across the whole screen (again these are not there when I switch to the PS3 on HDMI)

The mystery deepens...

Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1418 Old 09-22-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 54
EDIT: talked to friend again he mentioned on second thought could likely be "T-con" board. There are two variations and part numbers of that board. Part number depends on the serial number of your TV.
post #1413 of 1418 Old 10-02-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I was about to trade my Mitsubishi 60" 3D DLP tv for this Sony + $300 but I am concerned having to go from my GTX580 to a VGA connector instead of HDMI as it seems this is how this TV works best?
I dont want to lose image quality by going to the Sony...was just trying to go with a smaller display to reclaim some desk space.
Any thoughts?

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
post #1414 of 1418 Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 PM

Liked: 12
Does anyone know which color temperature setting is closest to 6500K?
post #1415 of 1418 Old 12-28-2011, 04:54 PM

Hello all,

I purchased my 40w4100 new in the fall of 2008.

Everything perfect, no issues.

In the summer of 2009 I started having an issue with the TV where the image would disappear from the display, no matter the input, while retaining the sound and back-light. This would geneaqlly happen after the TV was being used for 5-10 minutes. The image would sometimes pop on and off, but if left on, would generally stay off. This carried on for 3-4 weeks, where I'd only be able to use the television around 50% of the time when I wanted to.

It was a very busy time in my life, so I did not get around to using the warranty. after about a month of this malfunction the TV started working perfectly again. I finally moved out of Manhattan in September of 2009 and at that time called Sony to notify them of the issue.

Unfortunately, since it was towards the end of my warranty period, and since I could no longer replicate the problem, I was convinced by SONY to not do anything, and that if it happened again, since they made a note of the issue, they would still honor my warranty even though the device would be out of the initial factory warranty.

The TV worked fine all year until the summer of 2010, when it started doing the exact same thing, no video image on any input after a few minutes of usage. back light and sound still on.

Shockingly, SONY would not help me out because my original factory warranty had been expired. This problem continued for 2-3 weeks and then disappeared just as soon as it had come.

TV works fine for an entire year and then unbelievably starts doing the exact same thing in the summer of 2011. After 3 or so weeks, TV works fine, up until now.

Now its doing the same thing, however after a minute or so, even the back light turns off. TV image wont come on at all now, even though tv is clearly on, no matter what input, or if it's hot or cold.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Has anyone seen this before?

I build computers for fun, and don't mind soldering, is there any chance I need to just replace an inverter or something?

Is there a more appropriate forum for this sort of question? I had been using this as a monitor for my PC, so it's extra annoying and I'd really like to get it fixed without having to replace the unit.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle
post #1416 of 1418 Old 12-28-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 54
That's too bad Sony screwed you like that. You needed to go ahead have a service call when it was in warranty to get it documented at least.

Might be a loose connector, there are many, a bad solder connection, failing part... hard to tell from a distance. But I am curious what the built-in diagnostics shows. With power Off, with the remote, press Display, 5, VOL-, and Power in that order. This will bring up a diagnostics menu and show any errors that might be stored. Also shows the total hours. Mine is up to 20,302! Never a glitch. To exit the diagnostics, power Off, then On.
post #1417 of 1418 Old 12-29-2011, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it.

However, perhaps I didn't describe the problem accurately enough; I have no image whatsoever, regardless of input. So trying to do the diagnostic like you said is doesn;t help, as I can't see what it says. Power still "turns on" and backlight come on, but no image, even when trying the diagnostic.

Might just have to pay to have someone look at it.
post #1418 of 1418 Old 12-29-2011, 09:03 PM

i was going to buy a used hdtv KDL46V4100 with might be the same problem, works fine 99% of the time but has the occasional flicker or white screen every 30-60 minutes. tv is 150 bucks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page