Sony Kdl-v4100 Series 1080p - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think its time for the V4100 to get its own thread for discussion as its one of the first series of the 2008 line up.
DESCRIPTION
his is HD done the Sony way. The 40" KDL-40V4100 flat panel HDTV brings 1080p picture quality home with amazing, Sony-exclusive features like the XMB (Xross Media Bar®) with 3D graphics, DMex capability so you can add functionality to your TV, and picture quality technologies like ACE (Advanced Contrast Enhancer) and BRAVIA Engine 2™ that make images come alive. Add to that a sophisticated, piano black design and 24p capability for getting the most out of Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD movies, and you have a television that exceeds your expectations. There are also four HDMI™ inputs and three other HD-capable connections, so there is ample room for expansion.
Full HD 1080p

It’s a high definition world and the best high definition resolution this brave new world offers is 1080p; that’s why Sony has more Full HD 1080p HDTVs than ever before. Full HD 1080p means our connections accept 1080p signals and the display will render that signal in Full HD 1080p. The flexibility of native 1920 x 1080 displays allows any high definition content to be viewed without the need to downconvert images to the native resolution of the display. Take full advantage of Blu-ray Disc™ players and PlayStation®3 systems that can deliver 1080p content.
DMex

Sony’s Digital Media Extender (DMex) offers a digital connection path for optional modules like the BRAVIA Internet Video Link, as well as other modules you can add in the future. Innovative DMex expansion capabilities integrate into the award-winning XMB™ user interface making HDTVs a powerful entertainment platform that not only meets current needs, but expands to meet tomorrow’s needs as well.
Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE)

Part of the cinematic drama in film-making comes from details found in shadows and dark areas of the picture. Sony’s Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE) uses real-time image processing to dynamically adjust backlight levels for improved contrast without masking details the filmmaker intended you to see. ACE delivers deep blacks in darker scenes, as well as fine details in shadows and other dark areas of the picture for a difference you can truly see.
BRAVIA® Engine™ Technology

The latest version of Sony’s respected BRAVIA Engine fully digital video processor uses a collection of unique SONY algorithms to significantly reduce noise and produce sharp, vibrant, life-like images... Dynamic Noise Reduction: Intelligently identifies and dramatically reduces noise in the signal according to the motion and brightness of each scene for clearer, crisper images. Detail Enhancement: Improved image enhancement algorithms render greater overall detail. Contrast Enhancement: Works with the Advanced Contrast Enhancer circuit to optimize the contrast for every scene to create better depth and reality. BRAVIA Engine technology optimizes the color, contrast, detail and clarity of every scene for the exceptional performance that BRAVIA HDTVs are known for.
Rich Graphics

Delivering a fun user experience is what the new rich graphics are designed to do. Accessing video content and sharing digital photos with your family and friends on an HDTV is now fast, easy and fun. Colorful thumbnails cascade before your eyes allowing you to visually choose what you want to see. Viewing digital images through Sony’s photo viewer is now more organized and can be quickly accessed.
TV Guide® On-Screen Interactive Program Guide

The TV Guide On-screen IPG delivers continually updated program listings to users. The guide requires no subscription fees or phone connection and is available at no extra cost to the consumer. Sony is the first company to integrate the TV Guide On-Screen User Interface into a custom interface — Sony's exclusive Xross Media Bar™ user interface.
BRAVIA® Sync Technology

Allows the access and control multiple tasks and system operations with one button ease. BRAVIA Sync is the name for a new family of control features that not only includes BRAVIA Theatre Sync, but will now include BRAVIA Sync. This feature allows the user to control a CEC-enabled camcorder connected to a BRAVIA HDTV via an HDMI cable by using the HDTV’s remote control and an on-screen display that shows camcorder transport functions.
24p True Cinema

Movies and many prime time TV programs are captured at 24 frames per second (24p). Sony’s Blu-ray Disc™ players wisely take advantage of this by including 24p output capability allowing a compatible connection with BRAVIA® HDTVs that have this capability. The benefit– You can watch movies in natural, cinematic motion, the way they are seen at the cinema. Every single frame of the movie can now be seen without using additional video processing that converts film-based images to video reproduction.

FULL SPECS

Screen Size
40" (measured diagonally)
Acceptable Video Signals
480/60i, 480/60p, 720p, 1080/60i, 1080/24p (HDMI™ only), 1080/60p (HDMI™ / Component)
DMeX Seamless Upgradeable
Yes
Dynamic Contrast Ratio
25,000:1
On-screen Contrast Ratio
2,500:1
Channel Fix
Yes
24p True Cinema
Yes
PhotoTV HD
Yes
Game Mode
Text
MPEG Noise Reduction
Yes
Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE) Technology
Yes
3D Comb Filter
Yes
CineMotion® Reverse 3:2 Pulldown Technology
Yes
Digital Amplifier
Yes
S-Force® Front
Yes
Dolby® Digital
Yes
Voice Zoom
Yes
Steady Sound® Automatic Volume Control
Yes
Auto Mute (on no signal)
Yes
Audio Out
Yes
AC-In
1 (Rear)
RF Connection Input(s)
1 (Rear)
Composite Video Input(s)
3 (1 Side/2 Rear)
S-Video Input(s)
1 (Rear)
Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr ) Input(s)
2 (Rear)
HDMI™ Connection(s) (Total)
4 (1 Side/3 Rear)
PC In (D-Sub) + Audio In (Stereo Mini)
1 (Rear)
Analog Audio Input(s) (Total)
6 (1 Side/5 Rear)
Audio Out
1 (Rear)
Digital Audio Output(s)
Optical Digital Output - 1 (Rear)
Headphone Output(s)
1 (Side)
HDMI™ PC Input Format Support
Yes
Input Voltage
AC 120-240V
Power Management
Yes (for PC Input Only)
Auto CC on Mute
Yes
HDMI™ CEC Menu Button
Yes
PAP (Picture & Picture)
Yes, Fixed
PC Input PIP (Picture in Picture)
Yes
Swap Picture
Yes
Swap Sound
Yes
TV Guide On Screen
Yes
Favorite Channel
Yes
Channel Label
Yes
Edit Channel Labels
Yes
Parental Control (V-Chip)
Yes
Info Banner
Yes
Label Inputs
Yes (Auto)
ID-1 Detection
Yes
Power Save Mode
Picture Off, Yes
Multiple Language Display
English, Spanish, French
Channel Jump
Yes
On/Off Timer
On only
Energy Star® Compliant
Yes
VESA® Hole Spacing Compatible
Yes
Limited Warranty
1 year parts / 1 year labor
Weight (Approx.)
51 lbs. (23kg) with pedestal; 45 lbs. (20kg) without pedestal
Dimensions (Approx.)
38.9 x 27 x 11 in (986 x 684 x 279mm) with pedestal; 38.9 x 25.5 x 4.4 in (986 x 646 x 110mm) without pedestal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

I think it is not kosher for Sony to say this with a 60hz set:

Quote:
24p True Cinema

Movies and many prime time TV programs are captured at 24 frames per second (24p). Sony's Blu-ray Disc players wisely take advantage of this by including 24p output capability allowing a compatible connection with BRAVIA® HDTVs that have this capability. The benefit- You can watch movies in natural, cinematic motion, the way they are seen at the cinema. Every single frame of the movie can now be seen without using additional video processing that converts film-based images to video reproduction.

This reminds me of when 1080 was becoming a big deal. Manufacturers started saying their sets were 1080 capable, but the signal was being downconverted to 720.

-Chris
post #3 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know when the 46" version is set to launch? The 40" is nice, but to me...46" is the ideal size.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #4 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Why is that?Because the tv doesnt have 120Hz for 5:5?I suppose it will still do its job same as V3000 and W3000 did last year withought judder
post #5 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post

Anyone know when the 46" version is set to launch?

Its due june
post #6 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Ahh, okay... Sweet. Will look forward to it come the fall.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #7 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Seems like the other member observations make the V4100 make it a winner among the A550,the XV540 Toshiba and the LG50
post #8 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISGEOFROMGREE View Post

Why is that?Because the tv doesnt have 120Hz for 5:5?I suppose it will still do its job same as V3000 and W3000 did last year withought judder

Because it still needs to be converted to 60hz to display, which means 3:2 will be reapplied.

This statement is patently false: "Every single frame of the movie can now be seen without using additional video processing that converts film-based images to video reproduction."

I am not attacking the set's ability to handle smooth motion. But marketing like this just gets people confused about what they are buying.

-Chris
post #9 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caa100 View Post

Because it still needs to be converted to 60hz to display, which means 3:2 will be reapplied.

This statement is patently false: "Every single frame of the movie can now be seen without using additional video processing that converts film-based images to video reproduction."

I am not attacking the set's ability to handle smooth motion. But marketing like this just gets people confused about what they are buying.

cinemotion does help with judder, just isnt as drastic as 120hz. but with it on on scences where its panning it does make the picture smoother.

also if people have questions about the v4100, let me know im at work now and can answer alot. its a slow day....

right now we have the v4100 right next to the samsung a550 and next to the lg50 television.
post #10 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

yeh i think SOny should remove that little bullet point about true 24p as it only applies to models that are actually CAPABLE of 120hz motionflow. like you said, it's kinda like the 1080p marketing speak. we should just disregard true 24p for all 60hz sets. so the S,V, and 32/37'' xbr6 series all are just 60hz sets.
post #11 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 02:13 PM

also i wanna note that the HDMI sync is flawless on the set, you can really use one remote with all your hdmi components. you can press enter on menus or go thru the menus. the sony is hooked up to a sharp blu ray and they play nice.
post #12 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I always was turned on by that PS3-style menu that their recent Bravia models have used. That would definitely come in handy for switching between components. After all, you sort of have to do that in a PS3 or PSP, so I definitely think I can handle the XMB on the V4100 with no problems.

post #13 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

how would you compare the v4100 to the lastgen XBR4? would you say its PQ is on par with the XBR4 or better? minus the 120hz motionflow of course.
post #14 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quick question about other things, while you're on that topic. How does this compare with Samsung's A550, which has been a big seller up to this point. Do you think the V4100 will dethrone Samsung this time?

post #15 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 02:27 PM

I'm really wanting mine to just get here LOL
post #16 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

he already asnswered in that other thread. from what he saw so far, basically the v4100 outpaces the 550 in most aspects of PQ.

when are you getting yours jeepjohn? it better come soon, I'm dying to see some pics of it in the wild. being up here in canada I might not get to see it in person til next month! ):
post #17 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolyte View Post

how would you compare the v4100 to the lastgen XBR4? would you say its PQ is on par with the XBR4 or better? minus the 120hz motionflow of course.

looking at the v. it looks like im scared to see how good the higher end sony's will be. id say on 1080p the v is near to or equal from my eye to what the xbr is more than anything the xbr has it beat interms of teh 120hz, but contrast and detail its very close. but id say for under 1080p the xbr is a bit better.

and oh yeah def no smearing on the tv. and i dont see any light in the corners of the screen.

and also the sony outdo's the samsung in 1080p, in just dif standard settings the samsung pushes too much contrast and you lose detail in darker scenes.

id say this new v takes the cake. tomorrow i will take of the sony and samsung still shots, on pirates of the carribean so you guys can be the judge.
post #18 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:

he already asnswered in that other thread. from what he saw so far, basically the v4100 outpaces the 550 in most aspects of PQ.

when are you getting yours jeepjohn? it better come soon, I'm dying to see some pics of it in the wild. being up here in canada I might not get to see it in person til next month! ):

I'm picking it up on the 29th or 30th I CAN NOT WAIT
post #19 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

and also the sony outdo's the samsung in 1080p, in just dif standard settings the samsung pushes too much contrast and you lose detail in darker scenes.

very true. I can attest to that as I did a ton of comparisons between the xbr4 vs 71 and 650 series, and for most sources and feeds the samsung matches the xbr, but when I put in a certain high quality 1080p bluray demo disc, the sony clearly shows more detail, clarity and sharpness.
post #20 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:

very true. I can attest to that as I did a ton of comparisons between the xbr4 vs 71 and 650 series, and for most sources and feeds the samsung matches the xbr, but when I put in a certain high quality 1080p bluray demo disc, the sony clearly shows more detail, clarity and sharpness.

yup. and that holds true the most when watching a dark movie..
post #21 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 07:05 PM

Just joined the forums to talk about this TV (and the Miami thread). I picked up this TV at CC tonight to replace my Polaroid 37" that took at dump on Easter weekend. I don't have it physically but I have a receipt for proof of purchase. It will be delivered sometime Sunday. It was not on display so I couldn't tell you how the picture looks or sounds. I hope that everything works out well with this TV since it was bought sight unseen.

I can keep you guys updated on the TV but I don't know how to calibrate so that's something up to the pro's here or i'll be looking into the XBR threads for calibration ideas.
post #22 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine85 View Post

Just joined the forums to talk about this TV (and the Miami thread). I picked up this TV at CC tonight to replace my Polaroid 37" that took at dump on Easter weekend. I don't have it physically but I have a receipt for proof of purchase. It will be delivered sometime Sunday. It was not on display so I couldn't tell you how the picture looks or sounds. I hope that everything works out well with this TV since it was bought sight unseen.

I can keep you guys updated on the TV but I don't know how to calibrate so that's something up to the pro's here or i'll be looking into the XBR threads for calibration ideas.

i say your best bet to get some kind of calibration would be the v3000 or w3000 series threads. the v4100 doesnt have as many picture options as the xbr4.
post #23 of 1418 Old 04-25-2008, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Just better hope we can get some real great reviews on the early adopters/owners of this TV in an owner's thread somewhere down the line. I have my sights set on the 46V4100 later on, so I'll join up on an owner's thread for the V4100 later on in the year, if one ever gets set up.

post #24 of 1418 Old 04-26-2008, 05:39 AM

I have had the KDL-40V4100 for about a week now. This is a great TV. I got tired of researching different threads and waiting for the 9G Kuros. Saw this in the store last Saturday, it looked great, thought about it for a couple of days, and purchased it this past Monday. Great size, great value, great picture, basically.

That hole in the front panel that everyone seems so concerned about actually looks nice and gives the panel a lighter profile. If you can hide all the cables behind the center support panel of the stand it actually gives it a very "clean" look, which is a plus for the waf (wife acceptance factor).

The clear panel also includes "floating" indicator lights for "power" and "standby mode" so I don't think you want to cover that up with a strip of black electrical tape.

Have a upconverting Sony DVD player at the moment - can't wait to hook up a BluRay player at some point...
post #25 of 1418 Old 04-26-2008, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow... Thanks for the review. Definitely pumps me up the wazoo.

post #26 of 1418 Old 04-26-2008, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post

Just better hope we can get some real great reviews on the early adopters/owners of this TV in an owner's thread somewhere down the line. I have my sights set on the 46V4100 later on, so I'll join up on an owner's thread for the V4100 later on in the year, if one ever gets set up.

The thing is that I created the thread for this purpose....anyway
post #27 of 1418 Old 04-26-2008, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ahh, good. Probably should've turned this into an owner's thread.
Anyway, consider me a future owner, and I'll definitely keep this model in mind (larger size, of course).

Before I forget, I have a question in regards to how the picture quality changed from last year.
How does the PQ from the V4100 compare to that of, let's say, the W3000? Are the black levels better?

post #28 of 1418 Old 04-26-2008, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah I am also intersted to know about the questions you answered.This model seems a best seller
post #29 of 1418 Old 04-26-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:

yeah, but historicaly an owner will get the honor of starting that thread
RolandParkGuy & I both have the reciepts for the TV's but have not recieved them. I did not want to start a thread without actualy having the TV, so I could get pics LOL granted the post can be eddited, but roland should start it when he get's his cause I'm not getting mine till like tus or wed.
post #30 of 1418 Old 04-26-2008, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Who knows? The way "Big River" works, they could easily sell the W4100 for the same price that others sell the V4100 for MSRP at anyway. Could easily work out that way. That's what they did for the Samsung LCDs, why should they work differently with Sony?

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page