Trouble after upgrading firmware on Samsung LN-T4061F - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 04-27-2008, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just upgraded the firmware on my Samsung, thinking it might help with the resolution problem I'd posted about in another thread. After restarting, the TV display is all messed up - the picture appears, but in weird colors and with all kinds of garbage in the display. It does this on every source. I tried re-downloading and reinstalling the firmware, but now the TV just says that the firmware is up to date.

Help! Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 04-27-2008, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

AHA!!!

After a lot of searching, I found someone on Amazon who mentioned some problematic settings he'd found after having his motherboard replaced (http://www.amazon.com/review/R3E9YDCVD0JYRY).

I went in to the service menu and made sure that I had the correct settings. (I did)

On a lark, I changed the "Lvds Tx Fmt" setting from JEIDA to VESA...and my TV now works again. I guess it was set to think it was in Japan.

Now I feel pretty cool.
post #3 of 48 Old 04-28-2008, 08:32 AM

Whoa! Can you please please explain more...I'm having the same problem with my Samsung LN-T4661 TV! Went several rounds with Samsung CS this morning, and the "supervisor" insists that I "incorrectly" installed the firmware and would not cover the service call...even though I just bought this TV 2 weeks ago!!

What exactly did you do??? Maybe I can call you (or you call me) and you can talk me through?? This is very frustrating. 562-404-3161
post #4 of 48 Old 04-28-2008, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

In the below settings, you'll want to press buttons slowly. The TV lags between when you press a button and when it responds.

0. Set the TV onto an unused source so you have a black or blue screen. This makes reading the menu easier in later steps.
1. Turn the TV off.
2. On the remote, press MUTE, 1, 8, 2, POWER
3. The TV will turn on into service mode. It takes a few seconds after powering on to display the service menu.
4. Using the arrow buttons on the remote, go down to Option Byte and press Enter.
5. Arrow down to "Lvds Tx Fmt" and press Enter.
6. Using the right and left arrow buttons, change the setting. Mine was set to JEIDA. Setting it to VESA fixed things.
7. Press Menu to exit.
8. Turn the TV off to apply the changes.

Also, check the info from the link I posted (below) to make sure that a few other settings in Option Byte are correct for your tv.

Quote:

Make sure the SCREEN SIZE is correct: Panel Option = 46AMW for LN-T4665 displays, and 46AM for LN-T4661 displays.
Make sure that if you own an LN-T4x65 that your Lvds Tx Bit = 10bit.
Make sure if you own an LN-T4x61 that your Lvds Tx Bit = 8bit.
If you own an LN-T4x65, your should change your model so it says "Tulip Side."
If you own an LN-T4x61, you should change the model so it says "Tulip."

post #5 of 48 Old 04-28-2008, 08:55 AM

You da man! My TV is whole again

I love this forum...
post #6 of 48 Old 04-28-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtrader View Post

Whoa! Can you please please explain more...I'm having the same problem with my Samsung LN-T4661 TV! Went several rounds with Samsung CS this morning, and the "supervisor" insists that I "incorrectly" installed the firmware and would not cover the service call...even though I just bought this TV 2 weeks ago!!

What exactly did you do??? Maybe I can call you (or you call me) and you can talk me through?? This is very frustrating. 562-404-3161

I can't believe the effin' line of crap Samsung is feeding you about incorrectly updating the firmware. We actually had this same firmware available here on the forums since late March, and after updating I got exactly the same issue so many others are now describing after getting the same firmware off of Samsung's own site! There must be a line of code written out incorrectly that causes the panel format to be set to JEIDA (VESA is in fact the correct setting). Those idiots are not taking the time to listen to those who have complained (quite a few people here), and will continue to face people who update the firmware and then believe their display is fried.
post #7 of 48 Old 04-28-2008, 09:05 AM

After unsuccessfully pleading/demanding with her, I finally asked her to amend the website so people are clearer about the danger of using this firmware! She said something to the effect that she had no control over how the web is designed...so the buck is passed again.

I'm a happy man though (again)! Don't like their policies, but do love my TV.
post #8 of 48 Old 04-28-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtrader View Post

After unsuccessfully pleading/demanding with her, I finally asked her to amend the website so people are clearer about the danger of using this firmware! She said something to the effect that she had no control over how the web is designed...so the buck is passed again.

I'm a happy man though (again)! Don't like their policies, but do love my TV.

Do you notice any improvement after upgrading your firmware? Also wondering which firmware you had before the update? Thanks.

Is it more fun to use the equipment or talk about it on AVS?
post #9 of 48 Old 04-29-2008, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't noticed a difference. I have 1019 now, and went from 1009 I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post

Do you notice any improvement after upgrading your firmware? Also wondering which firmware you had before the update? Thanks.

post #10 of 48 Old 04-29-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post

I haven't noticed a difference. I have 1019 now, and went from 1009 I think.

Thanks dave...wonder what this FW update was intended to fix/improve? I have 1014 and have been happy. Thinking about 1019 but the old "if it ain't broke..." cliche is always being thrown around on here (AVS).

post #11 of 48 Old 05-03-2008, 10:00 AM

I have a LN-t4066f and just installed the latest firmware that was on Samsungs website and after i did all of my colors were wacky. I called tech support and told them what had happened and at first the tech said oh you shouldn't have done that and it probably wouldn't be covered under warranty but he put me on hold and came back on and said it was covered and that someone would come to my house in 3 to 5 business days to repair the problem after he scolded me that i shouldn't ever update firmware unless i am having problems. I told him that nowhere on the webpage where i downloaded the upgrade did it say not to unless i had problems. I am an industrial tech at a munufacturing plant in charge of PLC's and HMI devices and any time there is a firmware update available we apply it to the equipment. Well anyway, i wasn't satisfied with waiting up to 5 days without a television so i started researching on the net for others having the same problem i had and found this thread and i was like "yes", Let me try the solution listed but when i got to the service menu area mine was already set to vesa! I was bummed out and then i thought what the heck and i changed it to jeida and everything straightend up so i don't know why my tv is the opposite of everyone elses. Anyway i'm still going to let the service man come out but i'll change it back to the way it was before he get's here to see what he does to correct it. I think my version before was 1036.
post #12 of 48 Old 05-03-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckytech View Post

I have a LN-t4066f and just installed the latest firmware that was on Samsungs website and after i did all of my colors were wacky. I called tech support and told them what had happened and at first the tech said oh you shouldn't have done that and it probably wouldn't be covered under warranty but he put me on hold and came back on and said it was covered and that someone would come to my house in 3 to 5 business days to repair the problem after he scolded me that i shouldn't ever update firmware unless i am having problems. I told him that nowhere on the webpage where i downloaded the upgrade did it say not to unless i had problems. I am an industrial tech at a munufacturing plant in charge of PLC's and HMI devices and any time there is a firmware update available we apply it to the equipment. Well anyway, i wasn't satisfied with waiting up to 5 days without a television so i started researching on the net for others having the same problem i had and found this thread and i was like "yes", Let me try the solution listed but when i got to the service menu area mine was already set to vesa! I was bummed out and then i thought what the heck and i changed it to jeida and everything straightend up so i don't know why my tv is the opposite of everyone elses. Anyway i'm still going to let the service man come out but i'll change it back to the way it was before he get's here to see what he does to correct it. I think my version before was 1036.

I can't wait to hear what the service man says. The problem seems to be a glitch in the new firmware software. Funny yours was the opposite of others. Someone mentioned they contacted Samsung, but everything in this world takes time as we well know.

post #13 of 48 Old 05-04-2008, 11:32 AM

I just got my samsung on 5/3/2008, I was watching tv and didn't like the resolution and such, I thought I would check Samsungs web site, and low and behold there is a firmware update. Now I am a computer / network tech, and am responsible for many servers and networks, if there is an update we install it so the system doesn't go down, you would think, but not here... I called Samsung support and they made me feel about two inches tall. I also didn't want to wait till the repair guy came so I searched for about four hours trying to fine a solution to my problem. I woke up this morning to a reply in my email and there is was, the sun shined and my TV works again.

I know one of you said you where going to let the repair guy come out anyway, did he yet and if so, what did he say?

Thanks for everything, you saved my ass. LOL

Chadn
post #14 of 48 Old 05-05-2008, 02:53 PM

I'm still waiting for A local service center to contact me!! As soon as something happens i'll post the results.
post #15 of 48 Old 05-05-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

They left me some voicemail about a week after I had initially called saying that they had tried to contact me and since they couldn't they were closing the ticket.

Worthless.
post #16 of 48 Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 AM

You guys saved me with this Samsung LCD TV fix after I installed the firmware. I got the same load of junk about how I shouldn't have done it. I told him that now I'm afraid to put firmware updates on my Bluray player because of this and was told if I don't need it; don't do it. I thought firmware was supposed to correct problems; not make more.
Anyway, now I asked if my warranty was void and they gave me a load about sending it up to the executives and giving me a decision in 3 days. If I didn't know better, I would say they did it on purpose to force repairs and make you buy a new LCD. I asked the supervisor why his reps didn't know how to fix it and he told me the service menu is only for repair personnel. Give me a break.
This forum saved me from headaches. This issue has given me a true vision of samsung. My wife always says if you wait long enough, people will show their true colors. Thanks for nothing samsung.

Thank all of you guys. You are GREAT!!!!!!!
post #17 of 48 Old 06-05-2008, 07:10 AM

I want to sat Thanks I did a firmware on my mom tv and it want crazy.
I did the service mode like you said now it work like new Thanks
post #18 of 48 Old 06-06-2008, 03:18 PM

Well, it's been a month and i still haven't heard anything from Samsung on when a local service tech would be at my house to fix my tv! I will never buy another product from Samsung ever! and i'll try to discourage anyone else from doing so!
post #19 of 48 Old 06-12-2008, 08:49 PM

I have a HL-T5689S. The firmware was updated and have some minor issues. GFUNKDAVE, have you heard of any fixes for a DLP? Can I revert back to the original version? I didnt see anything on the rear projection forum.
post #20 of 48 Old 06-18-2008, 08:50 AM

After reading this discussion I have hope again. As many of you have done, I was having a picture issue and decided to upgrade the firmware. No, I wasn't having the problem described that the fix was for, but didn't think it would hurt. Now my picture is very pixellated with red and greenish-blue pixels wherever a light transition is on the screen. I called the Samsung tech support and he was very nice and didn't say anything about the warranty not covering the issue (yes, I did confess to updating the firmware and he said that was probably the issue). He is setting up a service person to contact me and make a house call to fix it. I was wondering if the fix described earlier in this thread would work for my model as well or was there a different procedure to try. Any thoughts?
post #21 of 48 Old 06-20-2008, 03:36 PM

I tried this and nothing works for me. I already called for a Tech but wanted to see if I can resolve this.
post #22 of 48 Old 06-20-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:

In the below settings, you'll want to press buttons slowly. The TV lags between when you press a button and when it responds.

0. Set the TV onto an unused source so you have a black or blue screen. This makes reading the menu easier in later steps.
1. Turn the TV off.
2. On the remote, press MUTE, 1, 8, 2, POWER
3. The TV will turn on into service mode. It takes a few seconds after powering on to display the service menu.
4. Using the arrow buttons on the remote, go down to Option Byte and press Enter.
5. Arrow down to "Lvds Tx Fmt" and press Enter.
6. Using the right and left arrow buttons, change the setting. Mine was set to JEIDA. Setting it to VESA fixed things.
7. Press Menu to exit.
8. Turn the TV off to apply the changes.

Also, check the info from the link I posted (below) to make sure that a few other settings in Option Byte are correct for your tv.

I <3 YOU!

lol thanks
post #23 of 48 Old 06-21-2008, 09:07 AM

Sorry for being such a burden but I need to get this issue fixed. I tried the above options and nothing. All I have is a blue tint film over my screen. Someone please help.
post #24 of 48 Old 06-21-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido90 View Post

Sorry for being such a burden but I need to get this issue fixed. I tried the above options and nothing. All I have is a blue tint film over my screen. Someone please help.

Unfortunately, you hit the auto-calibration while in the service menu. Fortunately, there is a fix. Do a search for "Samsung calibration checkerboard" or something similar. Basically, you need to do the auto-calibration in the service menu with the correct pattern on the screen, and you should be good from there. Like I said, do a search and you should be able to solve this.
post #25 of 48 Old 06-21-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioannisds View Post

Unfortunately, you hit the auto-calibration while in the service menu. Fortunately, there is a fix. Do a search for "Samsung calibration checkerboard" or something similar. Basically, you need to do the auto-calibration in the service menu with the correct pattern on the screen, and you should be good from there. Like I said, do a search and you should be able to solve this.

Thank you sir. Do you mind if I PM you if anything?
post #26 of 48 Old 06-21-2008, 04:36 PM

I just finished calibrating my xbox 360 with the checkerboard and worked perfect. All i need to calibrate is my cable tv. I don't have an hdmi cable just straight cable. How can I go by fixing this blue-greenish tint?
post #27 of 48 Old 06-21-2008, 04:39 PM

Hi, folks!
I left a message on an another topic and I good soul sent me to here!
I tried to upgrade the firmware of the LN-T4053H and, after the last step, when the TV should turn off and on again, it just did not turn on!
Do you guys know that start sound when you turn on these Samsungs TVs (like a "turururum")? So, my TV does this sound every 5 seconds intermittently. It`s like a computer when you try to turn on but don`t have any operating system inside.
Herewith, I can`t do the trick taught here by GfunkDave.
Does anyone have any idea or solution for this case? Maybe I could initiate the TV with a flash drive or something...
I appreciate a lot any idea. I`m in a big trouble here, cause this TV is not mine!
Thanks in advance.
post #28 of 48 Old 06-22-2008, 06:37 PM

Hi, first post here!

I just upgraded the firmware on my 4061 and the colors went crazy. I panicked and called tech support. I got the accusatory line that I shouldn't have upgraded the firmware when nothing was wrong. I was really surprised someone was telling me I shouldn't upgrade the firmware on my TV when it wasn't "broken". I was shocked these reps are being fed this line!! Luckily I found this thread through an amazon link. Total time to fix my TV, 1min. Going through the samsung process could've taken ages!
Information is power!
post #29 of 48 Old 06-26-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:

In the below settings, you'll want to press buttons slowly. The TV lags between when you press a button and when it responds...

I LOVE YOU! You saved my bacon. Samsung's handling of this issue is pathetic! (They made me enter a support ticket and a local service company wanted to come and replace parts in the TV.) Instead, thanks to you and this forum, I was able to fix the issue before the service company showed up! (It was going to be three weeks before they came to fix it!)
post #30 of 48 Old 07-22-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just found this thread, and I assume this was created (as also that great Amazon post) due to intermittent video signal dropouts via HDMI???

I've been having this issue on occasion with our LN-T4061F via different equipment, all connected via HDMI cables:

HD-XA2 connected directly to TV;
HD-XA2 connected to Yamaha RX-V663, then to TV;
HD-A35 connected to Yamaha RX-V663, then to TV;
HD-A35 connected directly to TV;
Motorola/Comcast HD STB connected directly to TV.

I initially switched out my XA2 for the A35, thinking the XA2 might be the problem. After the two instances above with the brand new 663 hooked up, I thought the amp might be the problem (which I sent back for a brand new replacement, since swapped for an Onkyo 705 - wish I woulda kept the 663, but I digress). I guess now that the TV was the culprit all along, dang it!

I will check the firmware/hardware versions when I get home tonight. I've already downloaded an update from the Samsung website, but will not install it just yet.

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page