Westinghouse VK-42F240S Anyone know anything about them?? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 74 Old 12-11-2008, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked one up at costco back in November for $699. Model: VK-42f240s
It has 4 HDMI inputs, and seems to be a good TV; however I am having the following problems:

* Using HDMI->HDMI on my Linux HTPC with an ATI card, I get flickering on the screen. Heard this may be due to a HDCP issue... Was only able to resolve using DVI->HDMI adapter.

* With resolution at 1920x1080p in Linux, there is overscan problem, and the left and right 1" of the desktop is cut off. Anyone else have this problem? I can see the entire desktop if I change the overscan mode from "fill" to "normal", but then there is a 3 inch black border around the entire screen! ugh!

* Ghosting of Text.... its noticable with DVI->HDMI. I will try VGA and DVI->DVI and see if it resolves the issue....

Anyone have any experience with the above problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 12-12-2008, 12:21 PM
cvj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahma View Post

I picked one up at costco back in November for $699. Model: VK-42f240s
It has 4 HDMI inputs, and seems to be a good TV; however I am having the following problems:

* Using HDMI->HDMI on my Linux HTPC with an ATI card, I get flickering on the screen. Heard this may be due to a HDCP issue... Was only able to resolve using DVI->HDMI adapter.

* With resolution at 1920x1080p in Linux, there is overscan problem, and the left and right 1" of the desktop is cut off. Anyone else have this problem? I can see the entire desktop if I change the overscan mode from "fill" to "normal", but then there is a 3 inch black border around the entire screen! ugh!

* Ghosting of Text.... its noticable with DVI->HDMI. I will try VGA and DVI->DVI and see if it resolves the issue....

Anyone have any experience with the above problems?

I use DVI > HDMI from my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro set at 1280x720p resolution and this gives me a perfect screen image of the Windows (XP) desktop. If I set it at 1920x1040p resolution I get a black screen... I would think this is due to HDCP but who knows?

Using VGA > VGA at 1920x1040p I also get the 3 inch black border so I am using the above DVI>HDMI connection instead.
post #63 of 74 Old 12-16-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvj View Post

I use DVI > HDMI from my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro set at 1280x720p resolution and this gives me a perfect screen image of the Windows (XP) desktop. If I set it at 1920x1040p resolution I get a black screen... I would think this is due to HDCP but who knows?

Using VGA > VGA at 1920x1040p I also get the 3 inch black border so I am using the above DVI>HDMI connection instead.

Hmmm.. I haven't tried 1920x1040 yet, i've only tried 1920 x 1080 and got the 3 inch black borders and fuzzy text. I'll try the 1280x720p; however, its a shame if we cannot do 1:1 1080p on this monitor. Has anyone been able to do that yet?
post #64 of 74 Old 12-16-2008, 04:50 PM

I would say stay away from this set. The picture isn't great -color seems kind of dull and the black levels are poor. The main problem is I have this it and have not been able to watch anything that is 1080p without the bottom 2 inches of the picture looking like it is not in sync with the rest of the picture.

I've tried switching inputs as suggested by the Westinghouse customer serivce rep but no luck. Their response was that the equipment I'm using with the TV is not compatable. I have a PS3 and a LG BH100 the problem persists with 1080p material on both players.
post #65 of 74 Old 12-17-2008, 09:00 AM
cvj

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter1971 View Post

The main problem is I have this it and have not been able to watch anything that is 1080p without the bottom 2 inches of the picture looking like it is not in sync with the rest of the picture.

Hmmm - I had the same problem when I was playing blu-ray discs from my Samsung BD-P1500 connected to the Westy (HDMI>HDMI). The raeson was that I had set the Blu-ray option "24 fps" - once I unchecked that option the problem went away.

Contrary to you, I love the display. With the proper settings - the picture is gorgeous. With program material like the BBC version of "Planet Earth" in Blu-ray - it simply knocks my socks off... I guess seeing is in the eye of the beholder :-)
post #66 of 74 Old 12-31-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahma View Post

Hmmm.. I haven't tried 1920x1040 yet, i've only tried 1920 x 1080 and got the 3 inch black borders and fuzzy text. I'll try the 1280x720p; however, its a shame if we cannot do 1:1 1080p on this monitor. Has anyone been able to do that yet?

I've used the VGA input with my Dell Latitude D820 on my VX and it does full 1920x1080 with no problems. The Dell has an nVidia Quatro NVS 110M videocard and I was running native nVidia drivers on Fedora 9.
post #67 of 74 Old 01-06-2009, 04:47 PM
cvj

I have been using the analog audio outputs - but decided to try the TOSLINK output - but have been unable to get it to work...

Any trick to switch it on? (nothing in the manual)
post #68 of 74 Old 01-07-2009, 10:42 AM
cvj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvj View Post

I have been using the analog audio outputs - but decided to try the TOSLINK output - but have been unable to get it to work...

Any trick to switch it on? (nothing in the manual)

Solution: Reset display by unplugging it - wait 15 secs - plug back in - and presto, digital output works again...
post #69 of 74 Old 01-18-2009, 02:24 PM

Overall I like the set pretty much. Have 3 issues with it.

1. Can not figure out how to get Closed Captioning on

2. With HDMI but not with the 3+2 cable connection there is a Green bar on on right hand side of the display. THe left hand side sometimes as some kind of distortion - about a half inch.

3. When I am watching a HD program that does not fill the screen in standard mode. I get back and white jitters on the top of the picture. Saw this on my friends Vizio, but he was able to find controls that move the picture around. Can not find such a thing

Help!
post #70 of 74 Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 AM
cvj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelpk View Post

Overall I like the set pretty much. Have 3 issues with it.

1. Can not figure out how to get Closed Captioning on

2. With HDMI but not with the 3+2 cable connection there is a Green bar on on right hand side of the display. THe left hand side sometimes as some kind of distortion - about a half inch.

3. When I am watching a HD program that does not fill the screen in standard mode. I get back and white jitters on the top of the picture. Saw this on my friends Vizio, but he was able to find controls that move the picture around. Can not find such a thing

Help!

1.To get close-captionong on, click the menu button on the remote (small round button right below the volume button), then select TV and the first choice is "Closed Caption" where you select various CC options.

2. Sounds bad - try a different HDMI cable and make sure it is fully plugged in. What is the source i.e. Blu-Ray player? If you get the green bar with different HDMI sources then it sounds like a defective display :-(

3. Have no idea about that one.... again, perhaps a display problem?
post #71 of 74 Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 AM

I've had my VK-42F240S for a couple of months now, and am fairly happy with it. Got the same deal at Costco as most everyone else has. The OTA tuner seems to pick up channels as well as my other good tuners, and it looks good with the PS3. Only significant downside is he remote, sometimes it seems to double (or even triple) enter digits when trying to change the channel. Other times, you have to push the button multiple times to get one to enter. Anyhow, I seem to be getting used to it. Three channel presets is a bit paltry. Sometimes when you turn it on, it doesn't always seem to be smart enough to go back to the TV tuner (maybe gets lost auto detecting input signals, which in general works well). The digital program guide will only display when you're watching a digital channel, and always seems to go to channel 3 no matter which channel you're currently watching (may be 3 because it's my first digital channel) and you have to navigate to other channels from there.

My only real problem with it is that when I use it with cable, it has a problem with the digital music channels. It'll detect the channels, displays the embedded graphics, and the audio plays, BUT there's a very short dropout every 4 seconds in the audio, on every audio channel. My other digital tuners get the music channels fine. Has anyone else experienced this? I hope Westinghouse can fix that with some kind of software update, as otherwise, I'm happy with the TV.

BTW, what software versions does anyone else have? Mine is: Build on 2007 Dec 10; Software Version 5710_1.6.0
post #72 of 74 Old 05-12-2009, 06:50 PM

I just picked it up at Costco today (5/12/2009) for $499. It was the shelf model, but it came with everything and the standard Costco 2yr warranty. I couldn't pass it up.

I've only played with it for the last hour or so, but I must say that I'm really impressed so far.

The standard def actually looks really good (for what it is). I was expecting it to look terrible, from what everyone says about high def tvs and standard def channels.

The sound is also really strong and clear. The manual (which you can download off the Westinghouse site) actually specifies 2x15w speakers and not 2x10w like the spec page shows. You can tell too. at only 25% of volume, it's plenty loud with good bass reproduction. Good enough for tv, that's for sure. If you're doing dvd movies then you should have a surround system anyway.

I really like the depth the menu allows for configuration. You can get down to individual color levels for each color temp preset. Has a skin tone setting. Separate black and white level settings, etc. Seems really deep for an inexpensive tv.

I haven't had a chance to test it with my laptop (dvi-hdmi), but I'll give feedback when I get a chance.
UPDATE: I tested my laptop w/ geforce 7600GS using a dvi-hdmi adapter and a hdmi cable. The pic came up instantly but at the laptop resolution. I changed the laptop to output to 1920 x 1080, and it looks good. Now, the settings in the nvidia tool are the key to getting it to frame right. The color is too intense by default, so I'll need to play with that more, but so far, so good. Haven't noticed a ghosting issue.

I haven't noticed a problem with the contrast levels. I can see detail in the shadows very well on 1080i or 720p tv broadcast. Haven't tried hi def movies yet. I wouldn't be surprised if the contrast level is erroneously listed, just like the HDMI ports (actually 4 and not just 2) and the speakers. The manual lists 4 HDMI and 2x15W speakers but doesn't have a spec listing for the contrast ratio.

My ONLY concern with the set so far is the color shift that happens when you are more than 30 degrees off center. It's noticeable, but doesn't ruin the tv for me. The screen is still very clear and perfectly visible off center; just a hair less intense/deep with the colors. Well, and sound leveling would be nice...

The system info for my set says March 25 2009 v5710_1.9.0, so the firmware is pretty recent.

I also found this CNET review for the VK-40F580D (integrated DVD player). In the review, he said the black reproduction was actually very good, not as deep as some, but very good. And this set only has a 1800:1 contrast ratio. And the TX series of Westinghous TVs only has about 1000:1 ratio until the newest models . By that measure, this VK-42F240S might do well ... if CNET would ever review it.
CNET Review
post #73 of 74 Old 07-12-2009, 05:21 PM

I have had the VK-42F240S for almost a year and am happy with it. The problem is that I just bought a Pioneer SC-07 receiver and I am having difficulty with the video. I am running HDMI cables from the cable box into the receiver and out to the tv. When I turn everything on, the video flashes between a blank screen, a white static screen and the correct image. This lasts for at least five minutes until it "locks on" to the picture. Sometimes it just doesn't lock in and just keeps switching. This doesn't effect the audio at all. And the video is fine if I bypass the receiver and run HDMI cable from the cable box to the tv but I would rather run it through the receiver.

I am way out of field of expertise here and would truly appreciate any ideas.
post #74 of 74 Old 04-04-2010, 11:48 PM

Anyone with this TV get it properly working in *nix? I had it working with an old video card, and whenever i put it in 1920x1080, it resizes, looks great for .5 seconds, and then goes out of sync. My modeline looks like this -

ModeLine "1920x1080" 138.5 1920 1968 2000 2080 1080 1082 1087 1111

I'd love to get more info on the specs for this thing, but the info available seems rather sparse. Oh, and i'm using the pc input, not the HDMI. I know some sets have different allowable resoloutions depending on which input you're using. Any help would be huge.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page