46" or 52" LCD -- will it fit in my car? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a 46" or 52" LCD from a retail store (I just like the ability to return/exchange it if i find something wrong). I was wondering though, will I be able to fit it in my honda civic? I am thinking put it in the back seat, will the door be big enough to put it in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 07:42 PM

Liked: 10
Maybe without the box. But the boxes are so huge I don't know. I have a Honda Accord and I have a big 60" diagonal oil painting in my living room that I put in the back seat and it fit - granted I had to roll the windows down to shut the doors! If you don't mind ditching the packaging I would say that a 46" may fit, but I don't think a 52" will work - since the civics are narrower. The toughest thing for me was the back door doesn't open wide enough, and (at least in the accord) the center console got in the way.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Kurt,

Please tell me you are just testing our collective gullibility. How would anyone know? Why would anybody care? Are you expecting me to run out and measures every 46 and 52 inch set I can put my hands on, go to a Honda dealer and check if these sets will fit in a Civic of an unknown year? Are you OK?
post #4 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

OK, well, it is a '07 civic so I think it is bigger than the older generations civics. It does not have a middle console...

I am not expecting you, ramazur, to go out of your way and find the answer for me. I was hoping that, given that civics are some of the most common cars, and many people buy 46" or 52" LCDs, there is a great chance that someone on here already had tried to buy a tv from a retail store and transport it with their car. Feel free not to respond to the thread if you cannot provide an answer.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCocain View Post

OK, well, it is a '07 civic so I think it is bigger than the older generations civics. It does not have a middle console...

I am not expecting you, ramazur, to go out of your way and find the answer for me. I was hoping that, given that civics are some of the most common cars, and many people buy 46" or 52" LCDs, there is a great chance that someone on here already had tried to buy a tv from a retail store and transport it with their car. Feel free not to respond to the thread if you cannot provide an answer.

kurt - do your back seats fold down? Go to bestbuy.com and look up the tv you are buying and they will have the box dimensions. get a tape measure and measure your car. My 46 sammy fit in my acure rsx (built on same frame as civic and about same size) for what its worth.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef jer View Post

kurt - do your back seats fold down? Go to bestbuy.com and look up the tv you are buying and they will have the box dimensions. get a tape measure and measure your car. My 46 sammy fit in my acure rsx (built on same frame as civic and about same size) for what its worth.

hi, chef jer, yes, my back seats do fold down. I have subs in the trunk tho. Do u have in mind to try to get the tv in from the trunk? That would not be an option cuz of my audio. I am really hoping i can get it in from the back doors.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 08:14 PM

I would have to say, from my experience selling these panels and assisting warehouse staff loading them into vehicles, that a 52" will definitely will not fit and it is highly unlikely that a 46" will fit. The height w/ base is 33" and 30" inches, respectively (without box). Depending on the brand of the television, the base of the television may or may not be already attached. A respectable retailer will/should not remove the base so that you can unsafely jam the set into your car. From my experience, it is difficult to fit a 42" set into a sedan even if it is out o the box. In cases where the customer insists that it will fit and will "make it fit", we simply roll the set outside and they can do as they please with it. Trust me when I say that you don't want to be that guy. NO, THE TELEVISION WILL NOT FIT.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think your going to be SOL trying to put it in the back seat. Not enough clearance between seat and roof, unless you take the tv out of the box.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrichky View Post

I would have to say, from my experience selling these panels and assisting warehouse staff loading them into vehicles, that a 52" will definitely will not fit and it is highly unlikely that a 46" will fit. The height w/ base is 33" and 30" inches, respectively (without box). Depending on the brand of the television, the base of the television may or may not be already attached. A respectable retailer will/should not remove the base so that you can unsafely jam the set into your car. From my experience, it is difficult to fit a 42" set into a sedan even if it is out o the box. In cases where the customer insists that it will fit and will "make it fit", we simply roll the set outside and they can do as they please with it. Trust me when I say that you don't want to be that guy. NO, THE TELEVISION WILL NOT FIT.

Hmmm, so how would a pick up an LCD then? Rent a mini truck? Best Buy or CC do not do free delivery, right?
post #10 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

i don't think the 52" would fit in the civic. the 46", maybe, if the seats can be folded flat. if I were you, I'd just play it safe, get a van and throw it in the back in its ideal standing up position, rather than struggling to fit it in the backseat and risk damaging the lcd panel. who knows, maybe you'll get some severe clouds, flashlights or banding if the tv was laid down on its face or in some weird position lol.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 08:24 PM

Wouldn't even try..we have a hyundai and it's been tough..we fit 42" in it but in the back via trunk (u don't have that option due to your audio) but had to take it out of the box...we even fit the 46" Toshiba XF in the back but again out of the box.

You are probably in need of a good friend with a truck/van. Prepare to buy him/her beer and a pizza.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty4hockey View Post

You are probably in need of a good friend with a truck/van. Prepare to buy him/her beer and a pizza.

Haha. I guess that is the option... Imagine if I had to return and exchange it tho. I'd have to ask the same friend again.
post #13 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 08:33 PM

[quote]Hmmm, so how would a pick up an LCD then? Rent a mini truck? Best Buy or CC do not do free delivery, right?
[/QUOTE

To pick up an LCD you should borrow a bigger vehicle, rent a uhaul ($20), or get it delivered. I have no clue if BB or CC offer free delivery. I can tell you this, I have bought two sets in the last six months. The 40" barely fit (standing up) in my Pathfinder, the 46" (laying down) also barely fit. Both of those sets required me to lay the back seats down flat with the rear cargo area. The boxes that these panels come in are far bigger than you would expect. Just today I had a 50" plasma not fit into a Trailblazer standing or lying down.
post #14 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

I see, well, i have a friend that has a honda odyssey (i tihnk '06) hopefully i can ask him and hopefully i would not have to do any returns.
post #15 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'd recommend just doing it the right way. Find a friend with a truck and haul it that way. I work at CC in the warehouse and there is nothing more irritating than morons that come in and buy 50"+ TVs and want to cram them into their backseats. Then when they don't fit they sit and scratch their head and look at me and go "Well, golly, I didn't think it was gonna be so big". I just want to punch people like that. Don't be one of those guys. It's a big TV, do it the right way before you break something. Get an open bed truck. Plasmas and large LCD TVs are highly recommended to travel standing upright. The TVs only get packed with padding in their corners so there is nothing to support the heavy screen. You lay it flat and go over any sort of bumpiness and you can say goodbye to the screen. We at Circuit City are not even allowed to load TVs that large laying down. The customer has to do it themselves, we are not allowed to physically help when they want to do it that way. And if something breaks, CC says tough luck, you shouldn't have laid it flat.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #16 of 22 Old 05-02-2008, 10:33 PM

32"-37" tv through a side door is basically the max you can fit in my experience. the boxes add a good amount to the overall size and some brands have insanely massive boxes.
post #17 of 22 Old 05-03-2008, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Kurt, it's me again. So how does it feel to engage 1 billion people who have access to internet to help you with a problem that most adult man can solve with a tape measure a quick tirp to a local BB or CC? On top of that, after 15 posts, your original question still remains unanswered.
post #18 of 22 Old 05-03-2008, 06:25 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur View Post

Kurt, it's me again. So how does it feel to engage 1 billion people who have access to internet to help you with a problem that most adult man can solve with a tape measure a quick tirp to a local BB or CC? On top of that, after 15 posts, your original question still remains unanswered.

ramazur, what's your problem, dude? Too much time on your hands. You've now responded twice to a thread that you say is a waste of time, without even contributing anything worthwhile. Who's the fool here?
post #19 of 22 Old 05-03-2008, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, guys. I will try to get one of my frieds with his van to help me.

Cheers,
kc
post #20 of 22 Old 05-03-2008, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppertubing View Post

ramazur, what's your problem, dude? Too much time on your hands. You've now responded twice to a thread that you say is a waste of time, without even contributing anything worthwhile. Who's the fool here?

We all have only so much time to weed out the bs from the rest. Threads such as this one occupy space and time to the detriment of something more substantial. My bs detector goes off every time a girl-man says "help me" instead doing what is doable on his own and, later, sharing his experience with the rest of us. The AVS forum should be a place to visit if you are looking for the information of GENERAL usefulness that would otherwise be hard or impossible to get.

Just recently a guy asked if Samsung TVs come in other colors that red. My 12-year kid knows how to call Samsung: just dial the number from their website and talk to a nice person who answers.

Speaking of "too much time on my hands", do you mean to tell me that instead of helping seniors accross the street you found time to advise a guy you don't know how to load a box into his customized Honda?
post #21 of 22 Old 05-03-2008, 07:10 AM

This is an interesting question as most people that are so poor that they drive a Honda Civic can't afford a larger TV.
post #22 of 22 Old 09-12-2008, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

I remember last year I bought a chest freezer. The salesman ask if I wanted it delivered or I wanted to take it cash and carry. I said I would take it home myself. He said "You don't have a Honda Civic do you?" I looked puzzled and said that I had a van with me. He said "Good. You don't know how many people buy large items from here, then they drive around to the loading dock with a Honda Civic and expect it to fit."

Anyway, you are also going to need a second person to help move, unbox, and mount the TV once you get it home. So you might as well find the second person that has either a mini-van, SUV, or pickup truck.

The last 52" LCD I bought I asked a friend to help a few hours before the Florida-Miami football game. I said that once we get it hooked up I'd buy pizza, chicken wings, and beer and we would watch the game in hi-def. He was over at my house in about 10 minutes ready to move the TV. He also showed up with his Playstation 3, a couple of games, and a couple of blu-ray movies.

You can also rent a pickup truck from most Home Depot locations for $19.99 for 45 minutes.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page