Official Samsung LNxxA750 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 05:02 AM
Member
 
robdam1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post

I tried to buy an A750 today but the set I was looking over at BB turned out to be a 650. I was quite disappointed, but now I am considering getting the 650. The price difference would be about $700, so I am trying to figure out what the 750 does that the 650 does not. It seems that both have network (although the 750 has wifi - not important to me) and also both have Infolink. It seems both have Wiselink, but only the A750 has Wiselink that works over an enet connection and not just USB.

What I can not figure out is if the 650 can also play video over Wiselink pro, or just still photos and music. A comparison of the manuals was not clear. I do think the 750 is DLNA certified but the 650 is not.

Oh, and the 750 has a sub woofer, but I use a home theater.

So, I guess I have to decide if the extra money is worth playing video from a DLNA server or not. It would be pretty cool, but I can always play video from my video player...

Decisions decisions. Any comments?

Thanks...

I'm in the same boat as you are in. It all boils down to if DLNA is worth it for you or not I guess. that and the oval (750) vs. square (650) stand
robdam1001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
metal83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdam1001 View Post

I'm in the same boat as you are in. It all boils down to if DLNA is worth it for you or not I guess. that and the oval (750) vs. square (650) stand

You got that backwards. The 750 is a square stand and the 650 is an oval stand.
metal83 is offline  
post #33 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Newbie
 
milleld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone getting an idea for calibration settings yet? I just got my set last night and was messing with it for hours. It is everythign they said it woudl be so far....AMAZING!!!
milleld is offline  
post #34 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Member
 
nino2469's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I havn't been able to play with any of the features that require an internet connection. The cabinet I have the tv in is a built in not made for large tv's so I have a hole cut in my fireplace in order to fit the tv. I can't get behind the tv without a lot of effort and it's worth waiting for my custom cabinet before setting up my connections.

Do any of you other owners think the sound is not that great? Maybe I don't have it set right but it seems the sound is very low and muffled.
nino2469 is offline  
post #35 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Member
 
David6ave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sound is always going to be small on TV you need the surround also

david
David6ave is offline  
post #36 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bigred7078's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nino2469 View Post

.

Do any of you other owners think the sound is not that great? Maybe I don't have it set right but it seems the sound is very low and muffled.

I believe you can turn down the internal subwoofer. This should "un-muffle" the sound.
Bigred7078 is offline  
post #37 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
caa100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post

...I am trying to figure out what the 750 does that the 650 does not. It seems that both have network (although the 750 has wifi - not important to me) and also both have Infolink. It seems both have Wiselink, but only the A750 has Wiselink that works over an enet connection and not just USB.

What I can not figure out is if the 650 can also play video over Wiselink pro, or just still photos and music. A comparison of the manuals was not clear. I do think the 750 is DLNA certified but the 650 is not.

Wifi is actually available on both, but ONLY for InfoLink (RSS Feeds)
Video files are not playable on 650 at all (WiseLink does not support them, and there is not DLNA on the 650).

InfoLink (650 and 750)
  • Limited RSS functionality over Ethernet Port
  • Available on 650 (manual, p. 82)
  • Available on 750 (manual, p. 105)

Wireless LinkStick (adapter for 650 and 750)
  • Permits InfoLink functionality via WIFI
  • A separate adapter which plugs into set's USB port
  • Available for 650 (Not in manual, but see press release)
  • Available for 750 (Manual p. 107)

Wiselink 650
  • JPEG & MP3 via MSC device (such as a flash drive) plugged into USB port
  • Available on 650 (manual, p. 63)

Wiselink Pro 750
  • JPEG, MP3 and Videos via MSC device (such as flash drive) plugged into USB Port
  • Available on 750 (manual, p. 64)
  • Video formats: AVI, MP4, MPG, VRO, VOB (manual, P. 82)

WiseLink Pro DLNA (750)
  • Access DLNA compliant servers via Ethernet Port
  • Available on 750 (manual, P. 89)
  • Does not work over the wireless adapter (manual, p. 89)
  • Formats: Jpeg, MP3, MPEG1, MPEG2, DIVX, MPEG4 / H.264 (manual, p.90)

-Chris
caa100 is offline  
post #38 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bigred7078's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

If this so called halo effect really bothers you, you could always get the 650 instead. .

But isnt this kind of a non issue, since it would be a trade off to go from a "halo" to the "purple haze" that seems to plague the 650? I do see what your saying, but it just seems like an even trade-off to me...

Actually i take that back. Personally i would rather have the "halo" which is only distracting, then to have something affect my PQ, like purple haze. But this will all boil down to personal preference.
Bigred7078 is offline  
post #39 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taurus2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 4,322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

But isnt this kind of a non issue, since it would be a trade off to go from a "halo" to the "purple haze" that seems to plague the 650? I do see what your saying, but it just seems like an even trade-off to me...

Actually i take that back. Personally i would rather have the "halo" which is only distracting, then to have something affect my PQ, like purple haze. But this will all boil down to personal preference.

Only a smaller number of owners who have reported about purple haze thing. You make it sounds like every A650 has a purple haze.

Go 24
taurus2007 is offline  
post #40 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Member
 
KeanosMagicHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread is only two pages and there is already too much discussion on the 650 in my personal opinion.

It's supposed to be a 750 thread. Have any of the owners had time to address my earlier questions yet please?

The fault I mentioned affects three different ranges over this side of the Atlantic, so I'm keen to establish whether it has been fixed for the 750?

Cheers.
KeanosMagicHat is offline  
post #41 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
metal83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

But isnt this kind of a non issue, since it would be a trade off to go from a "halo" to the "purple haze" that seems to plague the 650? I do see what your saying, but it just seems like an even trade-off to me...

Actually i take that back. Personally i would rather have the "halo" which is only distracting, then to have something affect my PQ, like purple haze. But this will all boil down to personal preference.

Well people need to realize that this so called "purple haze" DOES NOT affect all of the 650's. I have had a few 650's (got a couple of cosmetically damaged sets) and not one of them had a purple haze, nor does the one i have now or any of the ones i have seen in the stores. The cnet reviewer even noted that he saw no purple haze in his set. And most people in the 650 thread also have no purple haze.
metal83 is offline  
post #42 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
metal83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeanosMagicHat View Post

This thread is only two pages and there is already too much discussion on the 650 in my personal opinion.

It's supposed to be a 750 thread. Have any of the owners had time to address my earlier questions yet please?

The fault I mentioned affects three different ranges over this side of the Atlantic, so I'm keen to establish whether it has been fixed for the 750?

Cheers.

Thats because these two sets go hand in hand. Of course there is going to be discussion on both. They are almost identical.
metal83 is offline  
post #43 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Member
 
fwells11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to know if this tv is the same as the 650 in regards to the inability to be able to adjust the color settings when running in game mode please.
fwells11 is offline  
post #44 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dms541's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwells11 View Post

I want to know if this tv is the same as the 650 in regards to the inability to be able to adjust the color settings when running in game mode please.

Yes, in the entertainment modes you are unable to adjust picture settings.

The 650 and 750 are identical except for the differences noted in the first post.

Vote on my video at: http://www.areallygoodejob.com/video...id=_L-gJYbFxlg
For every vote I'll donate some money to the THON charity for pediatric cancer.
dms541 is offline  
post #45 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Member
 
robdam1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

You got that backwards. The 750 is a square stand and the 650 is an oval stand.

Yep, My Bad!
I just ordered the 750/52" from CC. I used a BB 10% off coupon for the TV and for the 3 year extended warranty AND no interest until 2011.
robdam1001 is offline  
post #46 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Newbie
 
93GTRR33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will have to look at the 650, although I can't find it at futureshop... Do they not carry it? I think I'll probably keep the 750, because I can live with the halo effect and I am going to wall mount it and supposedly it isn't as bad when wall mounted. I don't really notice it when I am playing GTA4 only when I watched a movie. Oh and I watched Crank on the factory setting, and even that blew me away.. The detail on that TV with Blu-ray is stupid good.
93GTRR33 is offline  
post #47 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
kokobucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi - curious. Looking at the 750 and besides the halo effect, have there been any other issues that owners have encountered?

I'll probably buy the 750 or (also looking at the XBR4) in the next week.

Sounds like most owners are quite happy with it so far - again except for the halo that some (most?) are seeing. I went to the store and didn't see the halo, but it was relatively bright in there.
kokobucks is offline  
post #48 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Newbie
 
robbmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobucks View Post

Hi - curious. Looking at the 750 and besides the halo effect, have there been any other issues that owners have encountered?

I'll probably buy the 750 or (also looking at the XBR4) in the next week.

Sounds like most owners are quite happy with it so far - again except for the halo that some (most?) are seeing. I went to the store and didn't see the halo, but it was relatively bright in there.

I have had the 750 for over a week now and haven't seen any issues other than, of course, the halo. I would say that the 178° x 178° viewing angle that Samsung (or probably any other manufacturer of LCD's) claims is unrealistic. PQ decreases significantly after about 45°.

I had planned to return the 750 last weekend but didn't get a chance. The halo is the only reason. I'm telling myself it isn't a big deal to be annoyed at a $3000 TV but I think it is ridiculous to try adjusting the seating position so I don't see the halo. If I were to keep it, I know I'd eventually look for a DIY solution such as pin stripping the sides, painting it, etc. Something to consider, the integrated sub woofer isn't a huge benefit over the 650 for normal TV watching. A dedicated sound system is a must for any serious movie watching. DLNA capability isn't such a big deal either for anyone that owns a PS3 as it now has DLNA support from a recent firmware update.

Bottom line is that the picture quality is amazing and a really beautiful looking TV. Other than the halo, it's an awesome TV.
robbmarshall is offline  
post #49 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Member
 
mcdave71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just placed my order on a 52 750 through amazon. Been waiting two weeks for them to have some in stock. Should ship tomorrow. I plan on doing a lot of network testing as far as vid goes so I should be able to add that insight. No ps3 or xbox here so that will be on you all.
mcdave71 is offline  
post #50 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Newbie
 
Chazmati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 46" 750. Initial thoughts:

- picture quality is impressive (versus my expectations, I guess... I don't have another TV to do a side-by-side comparsion).

- Not particularly fond of the remote with the spinner wheel around the enter button. I have a hard time pressing on the N/S/E/W points of the wheel to navigate around without also spinning the wheel a little and selecting the wrong thing. The menu system seemed noticably less responsive than the XBR4 menu system.

- I see the halo in a dark room. TV is wall mounted. I'm not a fan of the halo, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. I thought the frame was glass, but it seems like Lexan as someone else here mentioned. I'm slightly concerned about the durability.

- I'm kind of cool to the Touch of Color as well. Apparently they're going to have other colors too? Black would have been fine. ToC certainly wasn't a positive in the buying decision. At least it's pretty subtle.

- The DLNA stuff plays content from my PC, but it's choppy and rejects some content as invalid format. This could be a deal breaker. I have an old DSM-320 media player that plays just fine over the same network connection with the same server software (D-Link Media Server, or TwonkyVision). Not sure if the DSM-320 plays from the Samsung PC Share Manager, I don't think I tried this.

Question: Has anyone else have any issues with the DLNA features? The PC Share Manager software doesn't seem to work well with WinXP Pro x64 but I'm not convinced this is the issue. I can't find much support on the Samsung website.

If I can't get the DLNA stuff to work well, I may exchange for a 650. I don't need the subwoofer, preloaded content, or halo.
Chazmati is offline  
post #51 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Senior Member
 
kokobucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbmarshall View Post

I have had the 750 for over a week now and haven't seen any issues other than, of course, the halo. I would say that the 178° x 178° viewing angle that Samsung (or probably any other manufacturer of LCD's) claims is unrealistic. PQ decreases significantly after about 45°.

I had planned to return the 750 last weekend but didn't get a chance. The halo is the only reason. I'm telling myself it isn't a big deal to be annoyed at a $3000 TV but I think it is ridiculous to try adjusting the seating position so I don't see the halo. If I were to keep it, I know I'd eventually look for a DIY solution such as pin stripping the sides, painting it, etc. Something to consider, the integrated sub woofer isn't a huge benefit over the 650 for normal TV watching. A dedicated sound system is a must for any serious movie watching. DLNA capability isn't such a big deal either for anyone that owns a PS3 as it now has DLNA support from a recent firmware update.

Bottom line is that the picture quality is amazing and a really beautiful looking TV. Other than the halo, it's an awesome TV.

Thanks. Yeah the DNLA would be nice, but really I figure I'd do most of the work on the server side and just plug in bridge to the ethernet port (or PC port). I can do that on either the 650 or 750.

I know everyone doesn't have the purple tint/haze that is part of the 650, but I think that would bother me more then the halo.

Not worried about the sound - as I have a separate system for that so the sound out of the TV means little to me.

Hmmm. . . more to think about. But glad you seem to give it a thumbs up except for the halo.

Mind if I ask what your previous TV was and how you would rate it compared to that?
kokobucks is offline  
post #52 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Newbie
 
robbmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobucks View Post

Thanks. Yeah the DNLA would be nice, but really I figure I'd do most of the work on the server side and just plug in bridge to the ethernet port (or PC port). I can do that on either the 650 or 750.

I know everyone doesn't have the purple tint/haze that is part of the 650, but I think that would bother me more then the halo.

Not worried about the sound - as I have a separate system for that so the sound out of the TV means little to me.

Hmmm. . . more to think about. But glad you seem to give it a thumbs up except for the halo.

Mind if I ask what your previous TV was and how you would rate it compared to that?

My previous TV was an old Sony high def CRT rear projection I bought in 2000. lol. Not really comparable to this. I wanted a 52" flat panel and my list came to the following:Sony KDL52XBR4, Sharp LC-52SE94U, and Samsung LN52A750. Sony had some motion blur during fast action sequences such as watching sports games and playing some video games. Sharp seems to have a color banding issue and didn't have very positive reviews including a high price than the Samsung.
robbmarshall is offline  
post #53 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
kokobucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbmarshall View Post

My previous TV was an old Sony high def CRT rear projection I bought in 2000. lol. Not really comparable to this. I wanted a 52" flat panel and my list came to the following:Sony KDL52XBR4, Sharp LC-52SE94U, and Samsung LN52A750. Sony had some motion blur during fast action sequences such as watching sports games and playing some video games. Sharp seems to have a color banding issue and didn't have very positive reviews including a high price than the Samsung.

We actually are in the same boat. My Sony CRT was bought in 2000 as well. It's a Trinitron XBR (37" I think).

Anyway, My choices, as mentioned are similar as yours. I just need to figure out if the halo will bother me or not or if I should wait longer (I've already waited over 2 years, I guess, what is another few months).

How is the standard def of the 750? I realize it probably won't be as good as the CRT, but is it decent in your opinion?
kokobucks is offline  
post #54 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Newbie
 
robbmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobucks View Post

We actually are in the same boat. My Sony CRT was bought in 2000 as well. It's a Trinitron XBR (37" I think).

Anyway, My choices, as mentioned are similar as yours. I just need to figure out if the halo will bother me or not or if I should wait longer (I've already waited over 2 years, I guess, what is another few months).

How is the standard def of the 750? I realize it probably won't be as good as the CRT, but is it decent in your opinion?

The standard def is ok. Everyone told me that this type of TV will not display regular 480i programming very well. It's not bad though. I haven't ordered digital cable yet.

I went over to both Best Buy and Circuit City to discuss the halo. The salesmen (take it for what it's worth) never heard of the halo and both said the Samsung 7 series is a fantastic TV. The BB guy told me not to buy the Sony and Sharp and get the 750 even though they don't have the 52" in stock yet. It is very hard to see the halo in the store. I read about using back lighting/ambient lighting behind the TV for better contrast and reduced eye strain. If I do that, the halo would probably disappear as it's only prevalent in darker conditions.
robbmarshall is offline  
post #55 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
grubavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: on the noisy end of the Half Moon Bay, CA Airport
Posts: 3,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
1st: great first post, OP!!! Thank you.

I am now a LN52A750 owner, but not yet a possessor. I am replacing my 1st gen 60" SXRD RP due to color-engine failure. Insurance would pay $3155 for any replacement I chose, incld CA Tx, so I wasn't too restricted by cost. Was deciding between the PN58A550 plasma (BIG screen is good) and the LN52A750. Made my decision this morning and went for the LCD. Finally decided I didn't want to be worrying for the rest of my life about image retention. So, Circuit City will deliver a brand new LN52A750 on Saturday (would have probably gone with BIG RIVER but they say they haven't got them). My wife and I were very impressed with the LCD in the three stores we visited. Saw the halo, didn't care. I can't wait to get it connected up!!
Keep up the thread and the posts!

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

grubavs is offline  
post #56 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Senior Member
 
kokobucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbmarshall View Post

The standard def is ok. Everyone told me that this type of TV will not display regular 480i programming very well. It's not bad though. I haven't ordered digital cable yet.

I went over to both Best Buy and Circuit City to discuss the halo. The salesmen (take it for what it's worth) never heard of the halo and both said the Samsung 7 series is a fantastic TV. The BB guy told me not to buy the Sony and Sharp and get the 750 even though they don't have the 52" in stock yet. It is very hard to see the halo in the store. I read about using back lighting/ambient lighting behind the TV for better contrast and reduced eye strain. If I do that, the halo would probably disappear as it's only prevalent in darker conditions.

Thanks. Yeah understand that there are restrictions with standard def on any HD LCD, but would like to minimize the issues. . . Sounds like it is passable until everything is digital/HD.

I'm leaning towards the 750. Might have to go back to the store again and see if I can see the halo to see how much it would bother me first though.

We have relatively dark conditions, but it is rare that we watch a show/movie with all the lights completely out. Plus there is a dimmer light right above the TV, so I can always put that on low.

Anyway, thanks for the input!
kokobucks is offline  
post #57 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Member
 
jarcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All, I picked up my A750 today from Circuit City, after working out a really good price. Here are my initial impressions just after a few hours.

My brother and I brought it home, took the Sammy plasma off the wall mount and put up the 750. The hardest part was getting the square stand off of it. That was a bit tricky. We also had to run out to the hardware store to get longer bolts to attach the Sanus wall mount. They were easily found.

I have digital Cox cable and we put on a Bo Sox game right off, and it looked fabulous. There was an obvious improvement in picture over the plasma. Then again, I was not really impressed with the plasma, so I might be biased. Then we put Transporter into the BlueRay player and that really, really looked fantastic. The plasma was a 720p unit and you really can see the improvement in this 1080p TV. I picked Transporter because the plasma never handled the opening scene well, with the greenish light reflecting off the black BMW. That looked noisy and grainy, the A750 looked great.

Right out of the box, this set has vibrant colors and is nice and bright. I have not fooled with the settings yet but it looks pretty darn good on its defaults. The contrast and detail is fantastic.

Next, I set up my cable box to give me a nonstretched pic for standard def. Samsung's web site says LCDs can burn, so I need to be careful. I had forgotten how nice watching standard def at its normal size is. People no longer look stout.

I have not tried its speakers yet as I run this through a surround sound system with a Yammy AV receiver.

Here is the not so good:

Standard def pics look, well, poor. The plasma did a better job with them, although it was not great either. I think these sets are just too big for standard def. I have not given up yet. I hope by tinkering with the line doublers in the Yammy receiver and the set that I can improve the pic. I have already tried different settings with the cable box, no joy. My 13 year old daughter noticed the difference between this A750 and the plasma right away.

Regarding the halo, its there sometimes, sometimes not. It all depends upon the lighting. This is another thing my daughter noticed right off and she said he hates it. She is 13, she hates everything. I hardly notice it. Right now, while watching std def there is no halo. If I turn all the lights out and watch a movie I might see a bit of it, depending upon the angle. Sometimes you just see one edge, sometimes part of one, sometimes two or maybe none.

I found that there is no wifi unless you buy an optional, extra cost adapter. I have not plugged a cable in yet, but when I run the network test the set complains that the MAC address is not valid and says I should call service. I'll probably wire up an enet connection later and see if that fixes it, and try some video from a DLNA server.

The built in content is some nice artwork. Monet, which is one of my favorites. I don't see that being used ever. However, I just got my wife a 10 mp digital SLR so hopefully it will be used to display some of her pictures from a server. Plugging into USB would be a pain and if I have to do that then I might as well return this set and get the 650.

Okay, that's it for now. I'll post more as I learn more.
jarcher is offline  
post #58 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Member
 
jarcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I got the LAN hooked up.

Running the network test shows that the MAC address invalid error is now gone. It had no trouble getting an IP from my DHCP server. It runs 4 tests, called:

MAC Address
IP Addy
Gateway Ping
Domain Ping.

The Domain Ping test is reported as failing, saying it can not connect to an external device. That said, Infolink is working fine. I can get weather, news, the whole bit so it clearly is talking to the rest of the Internet. Its not super useful. The weather info is very sparse. I suppose for a quick check of the weather its okay but beyond that there does not seem to be much use.

Time to play with DLNA. The product guide built into the TV, by the way, says that DLNA can not be used across a wifi lan. No idea why, there is plenty of bandwidth there. Anyhow, I tried talking to my neighbor's TVersity server. He is running the latest version. Whenever I selected a file, whether it was video, audio or even a photo, the TV could tell me the name, file size and other information, but when I tried to play it, I always got the error "Unsupported File Format." There is not much I can set, so I guess I'll call Samsung tomorrow, which will probably be useless.

Updates as they develop.
jarcher is offline  
post #59 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Newbie
 
93GTRR33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey people,

Just a heads up-- I have solved the Halo effect by carefully laying down some pinstriping black tape around the lexan surround. Only time I see halo now is on a white back ground (Wii home screen) and its severly reduced. On movies, gaming and TV you can't see it.

mike
93GTRR33 is offline  
post #60 of 12494 Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Newbie
 
93GTRR33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
oh yeah, Next step-- Wall mount! I should get pictures of it once I have wall mounted it and got a clean stand for it.
93GTRR33 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln40a750 , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln52a750 52 Inch 1080p Dlna Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln46a750 46 Inch 1080p Dlna Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off