Official Samsung LNxxA750 Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 12494 Old 05-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
stranx44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by axmode View Post

OK, PC warrior... Have a great evening

adios amigo...ps - there's a thing called google....type in "gold box trick"...viola! welcome to the new millenium
stranx44 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 12494 Old 05-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Newbie
 
flipper2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Today was tv day. The delivery / pickup was set for 12-4 (Friday) they were going to call me 1 hour in advance so I could get home from work. I planned my day today (on friday) so I would be close to home for this..... Well, I leave early in the morning for work, and I get a call at 730am that they are on the way, and this is my early notice. I said, no, the appointment is for 12-4, they said no, we are delivering it now, they made a mistake (well then why didnt someone call me in the last 5 days to tell me). Anyhow, they delivered it, made a huge mess with the all the white stuff that came off from the way they opened the box, I had my tv mounted on a mount (not on a wall, but on a equipment table with a tv mount on the back (so I couldnt have the tv up in the air in front of a window)). I'm 1 person and they helped me get it down, it took 1 second, very easy to do. Then I needed to take the 2 mounting pieces off my 5271 to put on the 750, but the screws were different, finally i ended up using the screws from my 5271 and it was on. I had 50.00 in my pocket ready to give them for a tip but they were in such a hurry to get out, they WOULD NOT HELP ME remove the stand from TV on the bottom even though it's mounted back on its mount. Oh well.. they could have spent 5 minutes more and I wa ready to tip them. Anyhow. I had to go back to work so im getting home now and playing around with it a little bit. I looked at the book on 124 and it looks relatively easily to remove stand. Im going to try to remove it without unmounting it. It looks like the screws on the bottom in the back and they are some underneath also?? Any pointers or issues?
flipper2001 is offline  
post #813 of 12494 Old 05-23-2008, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranx44 View Post

Stop living in the neanderthal era bro'. It is obvious you are not an engineer nor a designer, maybe a BB associate at best. HMDI is an interface spec, just like PCI or USB or Firewire. It defines what and how the transmission should occur with such thing as electrical logic, protocal software, etc. It does not define how it is supposed to be used in whatever application. If you actually read the friggin spec instead of talking out of your a**, you'd know in a sec that HDMI was originally designed to use either application medium (see HDMI spec 1.0). Further enhancements from then to 1.3 has allowed ability to have DVD audio, repeaters, HD audio, higher throughput, etc. Read here and stop being so short sighted and big-headed : http://www.hdmi.org/

"HDMI can carry video signals at resolutions up to (and beyond) 1080p in full-color at full 60 Hz (and higher) refresh rates. It's also backwards compatible with DVI, requiring only a simple passive adaptor or cable to connect between the two interfaces. Most importantly, it adds support for up to 8 channels of full-resolution digital audioall on a single cable.

Since its inception, HDMI has offered the ability to transmit basic control codes from device to device, making the goal of system integration easier to achieve.HDMI was created as a forward-looking specification with the ability to be updated as further market requirements became apparent."

Now please show one iota of intelligence when you said it was never meant to use only as a sole source of video with specific citations, please.

First of all, let me make this clear. Personal attacks will not be tolerated, as you will soon find out with a moderator if you continue. Second, regardless of the interface, you are sending audio to one device and video to the other. HOW THE HELL IS EITHER DEVICE SUPPOSED TO KNOW HOW TO SYNC UP? That is why you always send audio and video to whatever device your are using, and then pass it on to the next, if necessary. THE ONLY WAY FOR YOUR WAY OF DOING THINGS TO WORK, IS STRICTLY BY ACCIDENT OR FOR THE TIVO TO HAVE SOME SORT OF SYNCING SETTING SO YOU CAN ADJUST AUDIO OR VIDEO. If you don't understand this, that is your issue, and people will continue to have the issue from this point forward. And let me reiterate, the next personal attack you fling in this forum will be at your own peril.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #814 of 12494 Old 05-23-2008, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishghate View Post

I have this exact setup right now with my 71F. I don't have an HDMI receiver (don't ask) so I go optical from my tivo HD to the receiver and HDMI to the TV. I've shut the speakers off on the tv, and as of right now I don't have any sync issues

aquastorm... I'll be getting my replacement 750 in a couple weeks as it was approved today. I'll post what I find in regards to sync issues...

Then it is strictly by chance. How does the tv know how to sync up to the audio when it is not receiving any audio, and the tivo is not taking care of it?
How does the reciever know how to sync up to the video when it is not recieving it, and the tivo is not syncing it up. The tivo would have to know the how long it takes for the reciever to process audio, and the tv to process video, then delay one or the other, in order to make this work. Since the tivo has NO CLUE, and has no adjustments syncing up the two devices, then it can't be done, and any syncing is strictly luck.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #815 of 12494 Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post

I don't think you understand what he's saying. he's saying the problem is that the beauty of HDMI is that it's sending high quality picture and sound at the same time therefore letting the TV if it's sent straight to the TV or the reciever if it's sent there and then out to the tv to process both at the same time so there is no sync issues. With the current set-up aqua is sending out both separately to two different processors which would very easily effect a cause sync issues. No it won't do it for everyone. like I said. I send an HDMI out of my SA 8240HD to the TV and also send a digital out of it to my receiver. i don't have any sync issues but I'd prefer to send everything via HDMI through the receiver and the the TV. Unfortunately my current reciever doesn't have an HDMI input. I think the problem is his set-i-up and possibly the Tivo.

Thank you, crap, its like hitting your head against a brick wall, yet it is just common sense for crying out loud.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #816 of 12494 Old 05-23-2008, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkeyes069 View Post

I have a similar setup as well:

1) SA 8300HD Cable box - HDMI 1 to LN52A750, Optical to TV/SAT input on Sony STR-DE675 Receiver
2) Samsung DVD-1080P8 - HDMI 2 to LN52A750, Optical to MD/Tape input on Sony STR-DE675 Receiver
3) JVC VCR - S-Video to LN52A750, L/R Audio Cables to Video1 input on Sony STR-DE675 Receiver
4) Dell Dimension 4100 - PC to LN52A750, Digital to DVD/LD input on Sony STR-DE675 Receiver (the computer needed this input, which is why I moved the DVD player to the MD/Tape optical input)

All this chaos is controlled by a Harmony 720 remote, so I don't need to remember any confusing settings.

No audio/video lag or other syncing issues. No sound from the TV itself. I did program the distances from each speaker to the center of my couch into the receiver, which probably is part of the reason I don't have sync issues.

Of course, it could just be that my old receiver has the same lag as the TV.

Exactly. The lag is close enough that you don't notice any syncing issues. AND, it sounds like in most cases the processing is fairly close between the tv and the reciever, so this would indicate that maybe the old reciever that aqua has is processing out of spec with todays electronics, or the tivo has a syncing problem of its own. In any case, when you run audio to one device (receiver) and video to another (tv) it is reasonable to assume that syncing issues may very well occur, because, as stated earlier, the tv and receiver have no idea what the other is doing in regards to processing time, etc.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #817 of 12494 Old 05-23-2008, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by axmode View Post

Using derogatory/insulting terms and asinine attitude in driving an argument and proving a point, does not make you look any more intelligent or knowledgeable.

exactly

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #818 of 12494 Old 05-23-2008, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranx44 View Post

I don't dispute the fact there may be an issue with the OP's setup (heck I use LPCM over HDMI to my Sammy set from my G35 just fine). However, what irks me is his statements regarding that HDMI doesn't support ONLY video feeds, without anything concrete to back it up. I've been using HTPC's with TV sets since 2001-2002 when the first 1920x1080p 1:1 pixel mapped sets from Sceptre and Westinghouse rolled out and have never had an issue with HDMI input w/o sound. Also, as a product engineer that has experience with interface architectures such as i2c, usb, firewire, pci, etc., what he's stating is just simply ridiculous and explicitly against the whole premise behind HDMI (you think the first USB folks new everything from IPODs to network switches would utilize it?). Anyhow, my apologies for the outburst and for being counterproductive to the discussion.....

Ok, for the last time. The whole issue was about syncing issues. HDMI was designed to carry both audio and video both for ease of use (i.e. less cables) and for just the type of issues we are talking about. I never said HDMI could not be used just for video, only that it was designed for BOTH so these type of issues would not arise. I don't care what your background is, and you being an engineer means nothing in regards to HDMI, unless you actually worked on HDMI and know the reasons why it was developed, which obviously you don't. So, I have had enough arguements with you on this issue. If you don't understand what is going on here, then there is really nothing left to be said.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #819 of 12494 Old 05-23-2008, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranx44 View Post

Shouldn't you be back trying to get the gold box trick to work....

Please just leave.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #820 of 12494 Old 05-23-2008, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranx44 View Post

well you and studdad would make a perfect fit together....once you both figure out the abc's of the modern age, you can get back to reality!

Keep it up, I will have you booted off this thread very quickly. And please look at yourself before making statements like that.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #821 of 12494 Old 05-23-2008, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranx44 View Post

adios amigo...ps - there's a thing called google....type in "gold box trick"...viola! welcome to the new millenium

Wow, maybe you should have looked up "Origins of HDMI" on google. Welcome to the 1990's.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #822 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
stranx44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

blah blah blah, regardless of the interface, you are sending audio to one device and video to the other. HOW THE HELL IS EITHER DEVICE SUPPOSED TO KNOW HOW TO SYNC UP? That is why you always send audio and video to whatever device your are using, and then pass it on to the next, if necessary. THE ONLY WAY FOR YOUR WAY OF DOING THINGS TO WORK, IS STRICTLY BY ACCIDENT OR FOR THE TIVO TO HAVE SOME SORT OF SYNCING SETTING SO YOU CAN ADJUST AUDIO OR VIDEO.....

My God man, did you even look up the actual HDMI specs i linked to you? You can have a decoupled setup just like on my HTPC where I can send a video stream through HDMI and selectively choose whether I want audio via LPCM over HDMI OR externally through a SPIDF. There is no luck or black magic involved in the digital world. The sync is embedded in the data of the video/audio stream itself at a fixed frequency (typically 23.976fps for film). I am talking in general, not specifics towards his Tivo issue (as first relayed). Yes, something is obviously wrong is his case, but to generalize this issue altogether is stupid and misleading. You ramble and make a lot of meager threats for a guy who doesn't even own a 750..... Anyhow, enough of this.....
stranx44 is offline  
post #823 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 02:02 AM
Member
 
powpowmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
can anyone tell me how i can get 120hz out of my set, i have never seen it say 120hz when i change sources, only 60hz

Directv HD receiver (hdmi), xbox 360 (component ins), sony dvd (hdmi), pc (dvi to hdmi)

even if i set the AMP on high i still dont see 120hz when i switch to my directv

thanks all
powpowmeow is offline  
post #824 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 02:13 AM
Member
 
KeanosMagicHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread gets really nasty sometimes and then becomes dominated by seemingly non-issues such as "lag" which maybe two owners have complained about.

It's pretty pointless and detracts from what is otherwise a useful thread.
KeanosMagicHat is offline  
post #825 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 02:18 AM
Member
 
bcenter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by powpowmeow View Post

can anyone tell me how i can get 120hz out of my set, i have never seen it say 120hz when i change sources, only 60hz

I believe the display will only show data of the video source being received by the TV. So, if your source is 60hz, it'll display that.
bcenter is offline  
post #826 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 6,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranx44 View Post

Stop living in the neanderthal era bro'. It is obvious you are not an engineer nor a designer, maybe a BB associate at best. HMDI is an interface spec, just like PCI or USB or Firewire. It defines what and how the transmission should occur with such thing as electrical logic, protocal software, etc. It does not define how it is supposed to be used in whatever application. If you actually read the friggin spec instead of talking out of your a**, you'd know in a sec that HDMI was originally designed to use either application medium (see HDMI spec 1.0). Further enhancements from then to 1.3 has allowed ability to have DVD audio, repeaters, HD audio, higher throughput, etc. Read here and stop being so short sighted and big-headed : http://www.hdmi.org/

"HDMI can carry video signals at resolutions up to (and beyond) 1080p in full-color at full 60 Hz (and higher) refresh rates. It’s also backwards compatible with DVI, requiring only a simple passive adaptor or cable to connect between the two interfaces. Most importantly, it adds support for up to 8 channels of full-resolution digital audio—all on a single cable.

Since its inception, HDMI has offered the ability to transmit basic control codes from device to device, making the goal of system integration easier to achieve.HDMI was created as a forward-looking specification with the ability to be updated as further market requirements became apparent."

Now please show one iota of intelligence when you said it was never meant to use only as a sole source of video with specific citations, please.

You should go back and read the Forum Rules as attacks and outright insults on members such as you've presented above are prohibited - you attack the argument not the person! This forum locks down entire threads for such rules violations when they turn into flame wars.

I believe his point may be better put that the chain has been broken and sync issues may and can occur if in fact you take the AVR out of the equation with the Video half and the AVR is only receiving audio and has ZERO control over it with the OP setup.

Also, despite what you read into a spec there are facts that HDMI is a fragile connection that has zero error correction built-in with the data that flows within - please go read the facts at Bluejeans Cable.

I'm not defending and saying is correct when in fact different AVR's and different cables can replicate different results but if you break the chain of data flow or segregate one takes it out of the equation of AVR control which may work with some AVR's and TV's and the HDMI interface and not with others. Again, both can be correct since no one has been able to directly troubleshoot and replicate the events directly. I purchase all IT for a sizable network, manage 16 servers for voice and data and troubleshoot a network of over 400 PC's and saying either response is the correct without replicating the conditions when the AVR has been removed from the video half and it isn't truly syncing video as it may have been designed to do simply because it's only receiving audio.

Next time you may want to attack the concept and back it up with factual evidence rather than turn it into a flame war as that is a rules violation on this forum. Not trying to pick a fight but the Moderators will LOCK down a thread for such Flame Wars and personal attacks.

Can't you just accept that both could be correct with a broken chain between the source AVR? When problems occur on my network or IT equipment the spec's are meaningless when data collisions or interruptions are occuring - they only represent how they are supposed to perform but when problems occur you follow the chain and identify the source of the event through replication - however, when you have a few thousand pieces in the chain it's far more complicated than I can present herein but the spec of the equipment only identifies how they perform when working as expected under ideal conditions. HTPC is a much more simplified process unless of course you have it running within an enterprise network.

Have a good day!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
westa6969 is offline  
post #827 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
zerog6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh yeah well you're all ugly!!!
zerog6 is offline  
post #828 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Senior Member
 
aquastorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Exactly. The lag is close enough that you don't notice any syncing issues. AND, it sounds like in most cases the processing is fairly close between the tv and the reciever, so this would indicate that maybe the old reciever that aqua has is processing out of spec with todays electronics, or the tivo has a syncing problem of its own. In any case, when you run audio to one device (receiver) and video to another (tv) it is reasonable to assume that syncing issues may very well occur, because, as stated earlier, the tv and receiver have no idea what the other is doing in regards to processing time, etc.

You are disproving your own theory by what you are saying and apparently don't realize it. Let's say you do run both audio and vid via hdmi to the receiver then hdmi to the set, when the video finally does reach the tv is the receiver going to know how many milliseconds of lag this set has? Lets say you go from TiVo to tv via hdmi then tv to receiver via optical is the tv going to know the lag if any the receiver has (mine has none btw). No matter how you set thus up unless you are not using a receiver for audio and using the tv speakers you are at some point in the process sending only audio or video streams to one component via a cable of some sort. I'm sorry but your threory is not logical even on the most basic level.

Input lag test results on the 52A750

"Maybe the input lag on this set matches the lag in your head therefore you don't perceive it".
aquastorm is offline  
post #829 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
jazzbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastorm View Post

You are disproving your own theory by what you are saying and apparently don't realize it. Let's say you do run both audio and vid via hdmi to the receiver then hdmi to the set, when the video finally does reach the tv is the receiver going to know how many milliseconds of lag this set has? Lets say you go from TiVo to tv via hdmi then tv to receiver via optical is the tv going to know the lag if any the receiver has (mine has none btw). No matter how you set thus up unless you are not using a receiver for audio and using the tv speakers you are at some point in the process sending only audio or video streams to one component via a cable of some sort. I'm sorry but your threory is not logical even on the most basic level.

Unfortunately, there is some truth to what you say I bleieve that's the very reason recievers have delay settings so that they can be adjusted to sync up to the TV.
jazzbass is offline  
post #830 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 06:42 AM
Senior Member
 
aquastorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post

Unfortunately, there is some truth to what you say I bleieve that's the very reason recievers have delay settings so that they can be adjusted to sync up to the TV.

So can we all agree now on the fact that this tv has a significant amount of video lag, whatever ones fix may be that fact isn't changed. This tv is not a good option for any gamers due to that lag. I also should mention that the lag on this set seems to vary depending on whether the source material is sd or hd. Setting delays on the receiver may not even be a solution for general tv watching due to that.

Input lag test results on the 52A750

"Maybe the input lag on this set matches the lag in your head therefore you don't perceive it".
aquastorm is offline  
post #831 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Member
 
Wardsweb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
FYI, I experience no lag in video or audio with my LN52A750. The Phillips it replaced had a serious audio lag, but this one is spot on. I could keep the tv sound on while running the home theater rig, but I already have a center channel and thus don't need the additional center reinforcement. Just saying it all works great here. As for gaming, my son and his buddies love Halo3 on it.

~ There are many roads to audio nirvana. While the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride ~

Wardsweb is offline  
post #832 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
jazzbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastorm View Post

So can we all agree now on the fact that this tv has a significant amount of video lag, whatever ones fix may be that fact isn't changed. This tv is not a good option for any gamers due to that lag. I also should mention that the lag on this set seems to vary depending on whether the source material is sd or hd. Setting delays on the receiver may not even be a solution for general tv watching due to that.

No we can't agree. Because the fact remains, you're still the only one having problems. Most everyone have played games on this set and the 650 without issues. So no, we can't agree.
jazzbass is offline  
post #833 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Senior Member
 
aquastorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post

No we can't agree. Because the fact remains, you're still the only one having problems. Most everyone have played games on this set and the 650 without issues. So no, we can't agree.

Whether or not this tv has video lag is not up for debate it has been shown that the 650 has significant lag. Because one doesn't notice the lag is there doesn't mean it isn't, my grandmother wouldn't notice it either because she is practically blind and deaf. Ignorance to a situation doesn't mean the issue isn't present. Ignorance truly is bliss in this case I guess.

Input lag test results on the 52A750

"Maybe the input lag on this set matches the lag in your head therefore you don't perceive it".
aquastorm is offline  
post #834 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Datacide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: behind you
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastorm View Post

So can we all agree now on the fact that this tv has a significant amount of video lag, whatever ones fix may be that fact isn't changed. This tv is not a good option for any gamers due to that lag. I also should mention that the lag on this set seems to vary depending on whether the source material is sd or hd. Setting delays on the receiver may not even be a solution for general tv watching due to that.

I don't understand the need to have everyone agree with you or fight you. YOUR TV HAS LAG...A FEW OTHERS HAVE LAG...MANY DON'T. Let it go man...I don't know why I have to wade through this crap every couple days (I know, I know...I am adding to the mess). There has certainly been far from any agreement on the TV having lag...certainly we can agree that your setup does.

Just let it go...if you aren't happy with YOUR SET return it...I still am not sure what you are trying to accomplish being so outspoken on this. If it were truly a problem...others would have chimed in. It is clearly an issue with your setup. Get over it please...the more you post and come down on people isn't going to fix your problem. Maybe work on fixing the issue with your setup instead of trying to make everyone else miserable with their TV as you are.

Datacide

*Don't shop at The Brick...ever!*
Datacide is offline  
post #835 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
jazzbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastorm View Post

Whether or not this tv has video lag is not up for debate it has been shown that the 650 has significant lag. Because one doesn't notice the lag is there doesn't mean it isn't, my grandmother wouldn't notice it either because she is practically blind and deaf. Ignorance to a situation doesn't mean the issue isn't present. Ignorance truly is bliss in this case I guess.

My point is that whatever lag this tv may or may not have causes no problems for anyone but you. There are plenty of hardcore gamers, hardcore cinema buffs, and general TV enthusiasts that own and love this set and report no problems with lag negatively effecting their experience. When I can play a game on this set and play it just as well as I played it ona a little CRT set, there are no problems for me. When I can watch a DVD or Bluray and the audio is perfectly in sync with the video there are no problems for me. it's not about being ignorant to a situation. There is no situation for me and most everyone else.
jazzbass is offline  
post #836 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
clau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 2,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some people are not as logical in their thinking as others. Some people are also simply more technically challenged than others. No big deal, although sometimes those who are technically wrong seem to make the most noise .

To have minimum audio sync issues without any additional correction, run HDMI (or component/analog) directly from source (like DVD player) to TV and use the TV's speakers. You lose the multichannel capability, of course. A modern TV, like the Samsung 7 series, knows the specific amount of delay in the video path and can properly compensate for that in the audio path to synchronize audio with video. With AMP on, there is typically a 1.5 to 2 frame delay in the video (60 Hz frames). You can also run the digital optical out of the TV to the audio receiver, since the latter typically has very little audio delay, but you get a downsampled stereo audio output instead of multi-channel.

If you run the HDMI to the receiver and have it deliver the video to the TV, you are subject to audio synch issues, because the AVR does not know how much delay there is in the video path. Here is where the lip sync adjustment comes in: the AVR can add in additional delay to accommodate the delay in the TV. If you run the HDMI from the source (DVD player, e.g.) to the TV and then digital audio (optical or coax) to the receiver, there is also a possible lip synch issue because of the larger delay in the video path. So the advantage of using the AVR is the potential to adjust lip synch, although some DVD players actually allow variable delays to be set. But you don't need to send HDMI to the AVR in order to use the lip sync adjustment feature: you can just send digital audio and use that feature. Remember also that the amount of video delay in the TV is a function of mode settings on the TV, so the same lip sync setting in the AVR or in the source may not work with all TV settings.

It is simply incorrect to say that using an AVR to split video from audio will not cause lip sync. It could, because the AVR does not know how much video delay there is. It may make a guess, but video delays vary among TV's, and can also vary as a function of inputs and settings on a given TV.

By the way, if you use a HTPC, lip sync issues can be taken out by settings in the media player. For example, the very capable Media Player Classic has an extremely wide audio delay adjustment range, so it is perfectly fine to send HDMI/DVI from PC to TV, and audio (via S/PDIF) to receiver. Absolutely no need to send HDMI to receiver.

CLau
clau is offline  
post #837 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranx44 View Post

My God man, did you even look up the actual HDMI specs i linked to you? You can have a decoupled setup just like on my HTPC where I can send a video stream through HDMI and selectively choose whether I want audio via LPCM over HDMI OR externally through a SPIDF. There is no luck or black magic involved in the digital world. The sync is embedded in the data of the video/audio stream itself at a fixed frequency (typically 23.976fps for film). I am talking in general, not specifics towards his Tivo issue (as first relayed). Yes, something is obviously wrong is his case, but to generalize this issue altogether is stupid and misleading. You ramble and make a lot of meager threats for a guy who doesn't even own a 750..... Anyhow, enough of this.....

this had nothing to do with owning a 750, as it is not a 750 specific issue, and yes, enough of this.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #838 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If some people would read all of other peoples posts, they would understand that some people are well aware that sending both audio and video through a receiver does not mean all will be synced up, however they would have also learned that some people discuss the audio sync funtions in said receiver, which are not available in tivos, etc, which is why the sync issue that was in discussion was having issues with audio syncing. Some people should realize that it does not take an engineer to understand better than said engineer what is going on in certain situations. After all, Engineering has various "specialties" if you will, and if you are not an engineer that focuses directly on the issue at hand, it is like an OB-GYN trying to do Brain Surgery. Yes, the OB-GYN is cross trained in some of the same aspects as a Brain Surgeon, but that cross training does not make the OB-GYN any more knowledgeble about brain surgery than the average man who reads technical or even non technical information regarding brain surgery. And Stranx44, this post was not pointed at you, so no need to reply.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #839 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Senior Member
 
boltsfan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just bought a 750 yesterday. I have been playing around with the settings and I'm wondering about the AMP setting. I've tried all the settings and have yet to see anything refresh at 120 Mhz. Am I missing something here? So far, while watching a few BD's and D*, everything shows it at 60 mhz when I hit info on the remote. Both my PS3 and D* receiver are hooked up via hdmi (if that matters). This is my first LCD so if I sound stupid sorry. Thanks.
boltsfan21 is offline  
post #840 of 12494 Old 05-24-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcenter View Post

I believe the display will only show data of the video source being received by the TV. So, if your source is 60hz, it'll display that.

You are correct. If you hit the info button it will only show 60 or 24 because that is all that is available as far as sources. The tv then takes that source and either multiplies frames or interpolates them the get to 120hz. In other words, your tv is always running at 120hz, except possibly in game mode, which might be running 60hz, but I don't believe that has been verified.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln40a750 , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln52a750 52 Inch 1080p Dlna Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln46a750 46 Inch 1080p Dlna Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off