Official Samsung LNxxA750 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can someone explain in detail what the "Gaming" mode does (would I want this for gaming or movie watching) and if I would prefer this mode for something, then is not being able to change the picture settings in this mode sort of a deal breaker? (video gaming is my PRIMARY function for this TV)

I don't understand if the GameMode is turning off the AMP or changing from 120Hz to 60Hz or what...I am terribly confused. (not hard for me really).

Also...doesn't the 750 have a better processor (16-bit) than the 650? I thought I was reading something about this in the 650 thread (the monster that it is). Has it been decided if this is indeed true and if it makes any difference to the PQ and VP?

And, if I could dig for an opinion on the networking/PC connection options. I will have my desktop PC in the same room connected via HDMI...would I just be smarter to go for the 650 since I also already have a fairly nice 7.1 system in place.

Thanks muchly for your time!

Datacide

*Don't shop at The Brick...ever!*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi. Is the power connection on the back of the 750 the same type as a computer power connection (3 conductor C13/14 type power cord)?

Thanks.

Rem facias, rem
si possis, recte, si non, quocumque modo, rem.
post #63 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 09:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GTRR33 View Post

Hey people,

Just a heads up-- I have solved the Halo effect by carefully laying down some pinstriping black tape around the lexan surround. Only time I see halo now is on a white back ground (Wii home screen) and its severly reduced. On movies, gaming and TV you can't see it.

mike

Hey Mike,

Can you post a picture how you did this (i.e. a close-up)?

Also, what kind of tape did you use?

THANKS!

-Garth
post #64 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datacide View Post

And, if I could dig for an opinion on the networking/PC connection options. I will have my desktop PC in the same room connected via HDMI...would I just be smarter to go for the 650 since I also already have a fairly nice 7.1 system in place.

Thanks muchly for your time!

Not sure I understand what you're asking here.

The 750 has DVI and also a VGA input. As for networking, the two options are wifi (with an extra cost adapter not included) and an ordinary cat5e enet cable. DLNA video is not supported via wifi, so the cable is the way to go. The TV can be configured via DHCP or you can manually specify an IP, subnet mask, gateway and DNS server.

From a networking standpoint, the only advantage of the 750 over the 650 is that it can watch video from a DLNA server, as opposed to just audio and pictures. This can be used to watch video podcasts, family vidoes off your PC, movie trailers you download, whatever video content you can provide.

As far as I can gather, the enhanced processor of the series 7 over the series 6 is used for the DLNA and video processing. The picture is the same, but I would not swear to it.

I have not played with AMP yet. The manual allows you to set it to low, medium, high and off and says that using AMP could introduce noise to the picture.

This TV has a pile of settings and calibration is probably quite a challenge. Just reading about them can be daunting and the manual only tells you the slightest amount of info about what they actually do.

I am thinking I might return my 750 for the 650, since I also have a surround sound system and don't use the TV speakers at all. Lazyness might get the better of me, and the price for the two was th same (at least it was on the day I bought my 750).
post #65 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 01:08 PM

The LN52A750 does not have an HDMI out does it? I want to know if i buy a receiver with HDMI in for DTS audio if i will get 7.1 channels or if ill have to use component cables and only be able to achieve 5.1 channels.

If im being completely ignorant please tell me as im trying to piece this question together from bits and pieces ive read on the net.

post #66 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntree View Post

The LN52A750 does not have an HDMI out does it? I want to know if i buy a receiver with HDMI in for DTS audio if i will get 7.1 channels or if ill have to use component cables and only be able to achieve 5.1 channels.

If im being completely ignorant please tell me as im trying to piece this question together from bits and pieces ive read on the net.

As far as I know reading the on-line manual (I don't get my 750 until Saturday) your audio-out options are analog composite (red & white RCA cables) and digital optical (Toslink).

The HDMI connection from your receiver to the TV is mainly for video transfer to the TV (unless you plan to use the 750's speakers???).

As for DTS audio, that will be supplied from your source component connected to the receiver. An example would be a Blu-ray Disc player connected to the receiver via HDMI. The receiver puts out the DTS sound to your speakers, and the video to the 750.

Rem facias, rem
post #67 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethead28 View Post

Great first post!

Just a question or a correction?
Is it 4ms response time or 6ms response time?

Samsung Canada's site specs say 4ms while US site says 6ms - which is correct?

I was really set to pull the trigger on one of these until the "HALO EFFECT".
I checked it out at local store and it was definitely there. Standing about ten feet away it was bad at that viewing angle. If I stood on my toes it went away - if I went back flat footed it was there again - if I knelt lower it was gone, so it was specific to the viewing angle. It was like a projector that needed the picture scaled down to fit the screen - at least across the top.

Can someone answer this question? I was wondering about this also. Best Buy, Circuit City, and few other retailers list this TV as 4ms. But when I spoke with a Samsung represenative, they said it was 6ms. Which is it ?!
post #68 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboidee View Post

Can someone answer this question? I was wondering about this also. Best Buy, Circuit City, and few other retailers list this TV as 4ms. But when I spoke with a Samsung represenative, they said it was 6ms. Which is it ?!

Funny, because in the Manual that comes with the TV, it is listed as being 5ms.
Also the 650 series is listed as 4ms but I believe that based on the panel and processing (This is what was said in the 650 forum), it is really 6ms. Some have claimed that samsung is just covering their asses by stating 6ms on thee 750 but it could have been easily quoted as 4ms just like the 650.
post #69 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 04:11 PM

I must say that even though a little over 3 weeks ago I owned the 650 and was well acquainted with the picture quality of samsungs TOC line, i was nonetheless floored by the 7 series. In my opinion, it seems to have more pop than the 650 both in black levels and color reproduction.

The reason I returned the 650 was because of the auto reset issue. But I am glad I did because the design on teh 750 alone is worth the extra $292 I paid (the 650 was $1999.98 on BIG RIVER at the time).

What makes this TV a bit more appealing to me is that it have a very nice shape that makes it more pleasing to the eye. The screen and the panel simply flow together and the little glass trimming is a nice subtle touch.

The 650 has an oval shape to it that makes it sit slightly out of place and kills the clean edge look I love to have in my apartment.

I am using a PC with this TV.
I have a Dual HD Player (Both HD and Blu-Ray)
Windwos Vista OS
Gallery Player Software
ATI 3850 256 MB Video card
Logitech Z5500 THX Certified 5.1 speaker system
Creative XFi Elite Pro soundcard
2GB of memory
2 x 250 GB hard drive (Dual boot)
External Memory 750 GB
ATI 650 Threatre HDTV Card (NTSC/ATSC), with cable connetion
ATI TV Wonder HD TUNER (NTSC/ATSC)
Yes I have dual tuners

I use the HDMI 2 port with 'Just Scan' Setting. I do not rename it to PC because I prefer the image processing and colour reproduction on the TV instead of the video card. Plus I get the benefit of the AMP at full.

I went into the setting (Mute, 1,8,2) and set High AMP to 0,0,0,0

This is pure magic as every content that comes from my PC is AMP so smoothely that I watch just about everything

I will be posting some awesome images in the future...
post #70 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried if this thing connects via WMP11 with or without the provided software?

post #71 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 05:25 PM

Thanks Jarcher for the response.

[quote=jarcher;13806255]Not sure I understand what you're asking here.

Maybe I don't understand DNLA enough to be asking the right questions. It is my understanding that DNLA is essentially a format or set of protocols for handling media across different devices. I didn't see anything saying it was like DRM though. So, if my PC handles all the DNLA "stuff" and I just output it to the TV via whatever connection (VGA, HDMI, DVI), then do I really need the TV to do DNLA? I admit it might be nice for some other future devices, but I won't be watching TV at all on the TV and will just be gaming, watching movies, and PC-ing on it. Am I completely misguided in my understanding of DNLA? I know my PS3 is DNLA certified, but I don't use it to stream media from my PC since the PC is connected to the TV directly.

>>From a networking standpoint, the only advantage of the 750 over the 650 is that it can watch video from a DLNA server, as opposed to just audio and pictures. This can be used to watch video podcasts, family vidoes off your PC, movie trailers you download, whatever video content you can provide.

Yeah, so I do all this now via via my PC connected via HDMI to my piece o' crap Sharp LCD. How does DNLA make this any different? I can watch all formats, etc via Windows.

>>This TV has a pile of settings and calibration is probably quite a challenge. Just reading about them can be daunting and the manual only tells you the slightest amount of info about what they actually do.

So there is MORE calibration options than the 650?

Thanks again!

Datacide

post #72 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 05:40 PM

Hopefuly I will be an owner of the 750 soon. I am waiting on an exchange request from samsung for my 5271f. I saw the 750 in person today anbd it looks a hell of a lot better than the 650 cosmetically, and I could swear that the PQ had a light edge over it as well. Strange being that they are supposedly the same tv save a few features. I really liked the 750. I hope samsung does not try to give me a 650 as a replacement because I really dont think that they are comparable, i think i 650 is really a replacement of the 69 series. The 750 and 71 both have the integrated woofer, and both are the top of the line before LED LCD models. (81 series) also, they both have that handsome finsih that sets them as flagship looking models. the 650 is juts downright toyish looking compared to either the 750 or 71f. alot of people also have asthetics to take into consideration. I bought the 71 partly because of its handsome frame /and the 750 is the only one that comes close to its elegance.

My 71f does not handle night scenes too well and sometimes gets to dark to see whats going on- does the 750 suffer from this as well? i dont think it could possibly be any worse at least.
post #73 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 PM

Any news as to when the 40" will be available?
post #74 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthMan View Post

Hey Mike,

Can you post a picture how you did this (i.e. a close-up)?

Also, what kind of tape did you use?

THANKS!

-Garth

Heloo Mike,

Can you post a picture of tape??

THANKS!
post #75 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntree View Post

Why not hook everything up via HDMI to the receiver, then reciever, HDMI, to the tv?

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #76 of 12494 Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
anyone want to post some pictures of their setups? I want to get an idea of what this TV looks like in an home enviroment. And anyone want to post some screenshots just for the heck of it?
post #77 of 12494 Old 05-07-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:

So, if my PC handles all the DNLA "stuff" and I just output it to the TV via whatever connection (VGA, HDMI, DVI), then do I really need the TV to do DNLA? I admit it might be nice for some other future devices, but I won't be watching TV at all on the TV and will just be gaming, watching movies, and PC-ing on it. Am I completely misguided in my understanding of DNLA? I know my PS3 is DNLA certified, but I don't use it to stream media from my PC since the PC is connected to the TV directly.

The purpose of the DLNA server is to (1) make files available (2) to a variety of dissimilar devices (3) simultaneously (4) via a network and also to (5) provide information to devices that allow them to organize this content so a user can recall it easily.

You can certainly simply plug your display device into your PC and display photos, audio and video. The disadvantage of a direct connection like this between your PC and using the DLNA server is that only your device can play the files and the PC essentially has to be in the same room with your display device. At this point, your TV is just a monitor. Also, the PC can't be doing anything else at the same time it is playing your content, since you have the monitor tied up.

By having a DLNA client (that is, my A750) I can play content from my DLNA server, my neighbors server (we have a connection between our house) or from a server across the Internet. I can have several DLNA clients playing the same or different content at the same time. My Yammy receiver can be playing audio content in one room while my A750 plays video, audio or still photo content in another room, all from the same server or different servers. At the same time, the PC that the server program is running on can be in use by someone else for any purpose.

Remember, the term server in this context refers to a program running on a piece of hardware, not necessarily the hardware itself.

If you have no desire to exploit this capability, then by all means don't pay for it. I don't really know that I'll be using it much, if at all.

Does that help? If not, ask more questions and I'll try to clarify.
post #78 of 12494 Old 05-07-2008, 12:49 AM

No, that explains it completely and yeah, I don't think I need that then since my PC is in the same room and I don't need to multitask media.

Thanks for the in-depth answer jarcher!

Datacide

post #79 of 12494 Old 05-07-2008, 01:13 AM

Hey guys,

Worked late tonight and all I can think about is sleep.. I'll try and some pictures of tomorrow. I think that with this quick solution that the 750 is the perfect tv I can't get enough of GTA4 on it.
The tape I used is actually (when I investigated for myself) just plain black electrical tape. It is the small width at 3/4" of an inch.
thanks mike
post #80 of 12494 Old 05-07-2008, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAlfie View Post

I will be posting some awesome images in the future...

Look forward to those.

I'm glad to read that you are happy with the TV.

Please could you take a few darkened room shots as I normally watch movies in darkness to get that cinema effect.

Very rarely have the popcorn though .....
post #81 of 12494 Old 05-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GTRR33 View Post

Hey guys,

Worked late tonight and all I can think about is sleep.. I'll try and some pictures of tomorrow. I think that with this quick solution that the 750 is the perfect tv I can't get enough of GTA4 on it.
The tape I used is actually (when I investigated for myself) just plain black electrical tape. It is the small width at 3/4" of an inch.
thanks mike

You might want to look into another type of tape. In my experience, electrical tape leaves difficult-to-remove residue after a bit of time.

Rem facias, rem
post #82 of 12494 Old 05-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGivan View Post

Any news as to when the 40" will be available?

Amazon and some on-line retailers have the 40" already. I asked at my local CC, and they did not have an ETA. Best Buy lists it on their site as "Available soon".

-Chris
post #83 of 12494 Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 AM

I'll try to post some pics of mine later on tonight. Everyone will just have to ignore the nasty cabinet and wires for now. I have a custom cabinet that I am waiting on right now.

I can honestly say I am in love with this tv. I will love it even more once some of the experts start posting some of their settings. I am a novice when it comes to that so I try not to mess with it too much until I have something to go off of.

I played with the sound last night and its getting better, it just seems like there is not enough bass in the sound.
post #84 of 12494 Old 05-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can someone explain in detail what the "Gaming" mode does (would I want this for gaming or movie watching) and if I would prefer this mode for something, then is not being able to change the picture settings in this mode sort of a deal breaker? (video gaming is my PRIMARY function for this TV)

I don't understand if the GameMode is turning off the AMP or changing from 120Hz to 60Hz or what...I am terribly confused. (not hard for me really).

Game mode is not described well in the manual. On Samsung's site they do say this:

Quote:
Game Mode is available on many current Samsung TVs. When you set a video source (input) to Game mode, your TV electronically bypasses two of the video signal processors in the TV, subsequently cutting down the amount of time the TV needs to process the video input from your game. You may notice a slight difference in the picture, but after you implement Game mode, the audio and video on your game should be synchronized.

In the 71 thread and 650 thread, owners say that Game mode disables most (all?) picture controls and seems to turn off AMP. This allows the TV to bypass processing and display the image without lag.

BTW, the 650/750 are ALWAYS 120hz sets. With AMP off, they still refresh at 120hz. (They just repeat frames.)

-Chris
post #85 of 12494 Old 05-07-2008, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

hey everyone. sorry I haven't updated the first post with some of the things people have been asking me to. I'm a college student and this being finals week I'm a bit swamped. i'll try to do a real update in the next couple of days

Could some of the owners break out a tape measure and measure the footprint of the stand for the different sizes? The depth dimension is easy to find from samsung's specs but there's no width dimension for the stand. thanks.

Vote on my video at: http://www.areallygoodejob.com/video...id=_L-gJYbFxlg
For every vote I'll donate some money to the THON charity for pediatric cancer.
post #86 of 12494 Old 05-07-2008, 09:59 AM

Just went from a 52 650 to a 46 750 and WOW what a difference, it could be just me but the price tag alone is worth it for the way it looks, plus the pic just looks better. I know people are saying they use the same panel but man what a difference.

The scariest words in the English language are:
"Hello, we're from the government, and we're here to help."

PS3 HDMI 1.4
GT50 3D 1080p Plasma HDTV
10' 1080P@60

post #87 of 12494 Old 05-07-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat Phoenix View Post

Just went from a 52 650 to a 46 750 and WOW what a difference, it could be just me but the price tag alone is worth it for the way it looks, plus the pic just looks better. I know people are saying they use the same panel but man what a difference.

Subconsciencely trying to justify your purchase huh lol
post #88 of 12494 Old 05-07-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

Yeah makes me feel a little better

The scariest words in the English language are:
"Hello, we're from the government, and we're here to help."

PS3 HDMI 1.4
GT50 3D 1080p Plasma HDTV
10' 1080P@60

post #89 of 12494 Old 05-07-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

Some might think that's exactly what you're trying to do by making such comments!

Aesthetically speaking, the 750 series is in a league of it's own. My only gripe would be the non-swiveling stand. The 750, i would consider, is the true replacement of the 71f. Even the TOC is implemented well on the 750.

If you have AMP, HERE's a test for TBE.
post #90 of 12494 Old 05-07-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAlfie View Post

Funny, because in the Manual that comes with the TV, it is listed as being 5ms.
Also the 650 series is listed as 4ms but I believe that based on the panel and processing (This is what was said in the 650 forum), it is really 6ms. Some have claimed that samsung is just covering their asses by stating 6ms on thee 750 but it could have been easily quoted as 4ms just like the 650.

I emailed Samsung about the conflicting response time specs and the panel bit specs and this was their response:

Thank you for contacting Samsung.
The panel is 10bit and the response time is 6ms for this unit the LN52A750R1F.
If you have any questions please feel free to call 1-800-SAMSUNG for further assistance.

Hope that helps.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln40a750 , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln52a750 52 Inch 1080p Dlna Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln46a750 46 Inch 1080p Dlna Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page