Official Samsung LNxxA750 Owners Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1081 of 12494 Old 05-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Newbie
 
400Years's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpsilonExordium View Post

Can someone please tell me what are the best settings for the 750 for a PS2 connected via Component input. My games are EXTREMELY jaggy.

Not much you can do other than switch your PS2 into progressive scan. The best it can output is 480p, though, so the picture's always going to look pretty jaggy.
400Years is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1082 of 12494 Old 05-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Member
 
elomsagro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastorm View Post

I would also like to know what firmware version are you using? Serial and or model # might be helpful also, what system are you playing these games on? What is your setup like? PSN username? XBL name? I would like to see this non lagging 750 that you describe in action.

I have used both the factory (1003 I believe) and the recent updated firmware 1007 and there was no difference except for the increased amp settings on the new firmware. Models were both LN52A750s serial# LN52A750R1FXZA for my most recent tv. I currently dont have online gaming setup so I cant help you there. Sorry.
elomsagro is offline  
post #1083 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Newbie
 
ACERyderMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had the 46A750 for about a week now. I noticed that the TV will adjust contrast automatically to a point that it is distracting. For e.g - watching the weekend update on Saturday Night Live - when the camera is on Amy the contrast dims noticeably and it takes about half a second to do so. Then when the camera is back on the guy the picture is bright and clear. back and forth back and forth. It went away when I turned off 'Energy Saving' mode. Today while watching the Matrix on DVD it did the same thing.

I am returning this TV to Amazon. We bought it after seeing a 46A750 on display in BB. We were just blown away by the clarity of the picture from barely 2 feet. Got a great price for it but it arrived damaged. Did not notice the damage until late at night when we took the plastic protective film from the base. The base was warped and I fund a small screw stuck between the plastic of the stand and the metal plate under it. I took the screw out but still the bend is there. Very noticeable right in front of the TV. Then the remote has something rattling inside it. Does not affect the function but very annoying. And I know something is broken in there.

Noticed the Halo affect and its a bit distracting for me - but something I an get used to in a jiffy.

Now - I am returning the TV but want to get a 52". I have almost decided to go with the LN52A650. I plan to checkout BB and CC to see if they have any on display. I played with the DLNA and while it is cool - I found it to be impractical. My laptop holds most of my media and I don’t keep it hooked up to the router - it is wireless. Also, for the wireless feature I could not find Samsungs Infolink Wireless adapter anywhere. Not even on the Samsung site!!!?? Now if DLNA worked wirelessly - it would be AWESOME! Did not try the USB port. BTW, many of the file formats did not work - I really did not have the time to figure which ones they were exactly but I am sure AVIs did not work. Don’t really care for the preloaded content. Now if the TV came with a preloaded browser – that would be super cool!

Infolink is cool. Not sure it will see much use though. So far I still have not been able to resist going to weather.com to check the forecast. It just looks cool.

So my questions are
a) is the picture quality of the LN52A650 absolutely 100% the same as the LN52A750?
b) Is there a difference between the PQ going from 46" to 52"?

If the answer is 'no' to the above then I think my decision is made and I will be getting the LN52A650. its about $200 cheaper than the 750 on big river.

Thanks in advance for your responses. Oh! BTW, I am brand new here - so a big hearty "HI!!!" to everyone. I think I have hit the jackpot with this forum. :-)

Regards,
ACERyderMan
ACERyderMan is offline  
post #1084 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Newbie
 
ACERyderMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRabbit View Post

Does anybody know to use Close Caption? I tried press button CC remote control but It won't work. Thank you.

Press CC twice.
ACERyderMan is offline  
post #1085 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Member
 
KeanosMagicHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock View Post

.... I came here to see general PQ experiences of this TV. I think the thread has been hijacked by people who want to argue possible lag when gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post

Aquastorm:

From now on when you talk about your lag problem, can you please be specific about what the problem is, and how you have everything setup.

The reason I say this is because you just come and say "This TV sucks with video lag everybody beware" and that's it. Well that's not true at all, you have a very specific issue that's being created because of a very specific way that you have your system hooked up ....

Absolutely correct. At the moment this lag is a minority opinion amongst owners, yet it is dominating the thread.
KeanosMagicHat is offline  
post #1086 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 03:45 AM
Member
 
bearbis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeanosMagicHat View Post

Absolutely correct. At the moment this lag is a minority opinion amongst owners, yet it is dominating the thread.

Yes, I totally agree. Ok, maybe lag is an issue with a very few here, but I don't find it necessary to continually repost about it at almost every page of this forum from those "few" who have it. I think from those few, we already know you have it, Period.
bearbis is offline  
post #1087 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taurus2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 4,322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeanosMagicHat View Post

Absolutely correct. At the moment this lag is a minority opinion amongst owners, yet it is dominating the thread.

This is the same thing that those A650 owners had to deal with regarding the "purple haze" a couple of weeks back. A few people have experienced with the purple haze but it took over the whole entire thread for a while until they created their own thread.

Go 24
taurus2007 is offline  
post #1088 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 05:10 AM
Member
 
spfhelmiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My two cents on gaming lag. First, whoever said that this is a Samsung-only problem, I find that very hard to believe. Sony should have similar processing and thus similar problems, we're just not hearing about them here. Second, as far as combating the lag, game mode works great and doesn't really hurt the picture. Alternatively, however, just tinker with some of the settings by turning them off and testing it out. I turned OFF the feature that reduces Noise, and it greatly reduced the lag on the set, almost to the point of being identical to game mode. I'm sure with a bit of tinkering you can find a happy medium, but even if you just go with game mode I still think it looks and plays outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACERyderMan View Post

Then the remote has something rattling inside it. Does not affect the function but very annoying. And I know something is broken in there.

Yeah, I've got this too, not sure what the deal is.

For a new issue, has anyone noticed that turning the tv on with the power button on the set doesn't always work? I feel like when the tv has been sitting off for a while, it won't recognize my touch and light up, and thus I can't get it to turn on. I have no problems turning it off this way, or turning it right back on after I had just turned it off.
spfhelmiii is offline  
post #1089 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 06:57 AM
Senior Member
 
audiolover718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After about a week with my new 750, I must say that it is great. I like it tons more than my 71f. However, (puts flame suit on) I too am noticing a really large delay, sometimes it seems as much as half a second between my audio and video. It seems to be the 120hz processing that seems to be the culprit, when i turn it off the lip synching effect seems to be minimized. On high, the audio delay is really noticable. I have my tv fed by my STB via hdmi. When using my old workhourse receiver, an old Denon 3300 ( no hdmi) the delay is still there. I do not have any way of delaying the sound to the point where it matches wahts going on on the screen. Do you think samsung can fix this with firmware? perhaps make another screen in the menu with a sync adjustment? Its really aggrivating. Other than that. I am one very happy camper- but i really would like to have this taken care of. I know someone else had this issue a few weeks ago. Did they ever get it fixed?
audiolover718 is offline  
post #1090 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Senior Member
 
aquastorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolover718 View Post

After about a week with my new 750, I must say that it is great. I like it tons more than my 71f. However, (puts flame suit on) I too am noticing a really large delay, sometimes it seems as much as half a second between my audio and video. It seems to be the 120hz processing that seems to be the culprit, when i turn it off the lip synching effect seems to be minimized. On high, the audio delay is really noticable. I have my tv fed by my STB via hdmi. When using my old workhourse receiver, an old Denon 3300 ( no hdmi) the delay is still there. I do not have any way of delaying the sound to the point where it matches wahts going on on the screen. Do you think samsung can fix this with firmware? perhaps make another screen in the menu with a sync adjustment? Its really aggrivating. Other than that. I am one very happy camper- but i really would like to have this taken care of. I know someone else had this issue a few weeks ago. Did they ever get it fixed?

Unfortunately there appears to be no fix, I called Samsung and spoke to a tier 2 tech yesterday and complained about the lag. I asked the tech if this is something that could be fixed with a firmware update in the future and he stated that anything is possible in the future but it is not currently being worked on. When this issue really sucks is if you are a gamer, because the video lag really messes with gameplay and controls, makes everything feel really sloppy and almost slippery like when controling the onscreen actions.

I'm really hoping for some kind of fix as well because unfortunately I think I will be stuck with this tv. BTW, what firmware are you using? I am using 1004.0


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Maybe the input lag on this set matches the lag in your head therefore you don't perceive it".
aquastorm is offline  
post #1091 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Senior Member
 
audiolover718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastorm View Post

Unfortunately there appears to be no fix, I called Samsung and spoke to a tier 2 tech yesterday and complained about the lag. I asked the tech if this is something that could be fixed with a firmware update in the future and he stated that anything is possible in the future but it is not currently being worked on. When this issue really sucks is if you are a gamer, because the video lag really messes with gameplay and controls, makes everything feel really sloppy and almost slippery like when controling the onscreen actions.

I'm really hoping for some kind of fix as well because unfortunately I think I will be stuck with this tv. BTW, what firmware are you using? I am using 1004.0


just spoke with teir 3. they said they have no idea of any lag or lip sync issue with the 750's. teir 3 said that they are working on a new firmware which will be coming out in a few weeks for the 750. I asked him what it addressed and he said he did not know- HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW WHAT IT IS
ADDRESSING? Samsung is juts working on a new firmware just to change it? jeez. We will have to wait and see.
audiolover718 is offline  
post #1092 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Senior Member
 
aquastorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolover718 View Post

just spoke with teir 3. they said they have no idea of any lag or lip sync issue with the 750's. teir 3 said that they are working on a new firmware which will be coming out in a few weeks for the 750. I asked him what it addressed and he said he did not know- HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW WHAT IT IS
ADDRESSING? Samsung is juts working on a new firmware just to change it? jeez. We will have to wait and see.

Yah, that's what they always say in the beginning. In due time it will be acknowledged as an issue with this set if it hasn't been already. It took a long time for Samsung to finally admit the 71Fs' problems with stutter. What firmware are you running btw? In case you don't know how to get to that, go to sw upgrade in the menu options and hit the info button and it will tell you at the bottom of the screen your firmware version.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Maybe the input lag on this set matches the lag in your head therefore you don't perceive it".
aquastorm is offline  
post #1093 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Member
 
harrisek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACERyderMan View Post

I have had the 46A750 for about a week now. I noticed that the TV will adjust contrast automatically to a point that it is distracting. For e.g - watching the weekend update on Saturday Night Live - when the camera is on Amy the contrast dims noticeably and it takes about half a second to do so. Then when the camera is back on the guy the picture is bright and clear. back and forth back and forth. It went away when I turned off 'Energy Saving' mode. Today while watching the Matrix on DVD it did the same thing.

Try turning off the dynamic contrast under detailed settings. I tried dynamic contrast and it annoyed me to no end on my 52A750.
harrisek is offline  
post #1094 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Member
 
Jsquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While I am hesitant to keep the lag issue dominating the thread, I wanted to post some results from a test I ran last night. I used the web program that someone posted yesterday (aquastorm?) and found about 100 millisec. delay between my MacBook Pro monitor and my 46A750. I had them connected dvi/HDMI4 with the input designated PC. That said, I haven't had any issues with lag gaming on my Wii, but I wouldn't call myself a hardcore gamer. A week or so ago I posted with a "lag" issue that I have since determined was only a sync problem between my TV and DVD player.

P.S. sorry I didn't post pics of the test, I am at work and forgot to download my pictures before leaving home. If anyone really wants to see them, I can post tonight.
Jsquid is offline  
post #1095 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Senior Member
 
aquastorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsquid View Post

While I am hesitant to keep the lag issue dominating the thread, I wanted to post some results from a test I ran last night. I used the web program that someone posted yesterday (aquastorm?) and found about 100 millisec. delay between my MacBook Pro monitor and my 46A750. I had them connected dvi/HDMI4 with the input designated PC. That said, I haven't had any issues with lag gaming on my Wii, but I wouldn't call myself a hardcore gamer. A week or so ago I posted with a "lag" issue that I have since determined was only a sync problem between my TV and DVD player.

P.S. sorry I didn't post pics of the test, I am at work and forgot to download my pictures before leaving home. If anyone really wants to see them, I can post tonight.

Well if that's true 100 milliseconds is a HUGE amount of input lag. That is definitely unacceptable for a LCD. I personally would be very interested in seeing the pictures.

BTW.. in case anyone else is interested in running this lag test and posting results here is the link..
http://tft.vanity.dk/


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Maybe the input lag on this set matches the lag in your head therefore you don't perceive it".
aquastorm is offline  
post #1096 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolover718 View Post

After about a week with my new 750, I must say that it is great. I like it tons more than my 71f. However, (puts flame suit on) I too am noticing a really large delay, sometimes it seems as much as half a second between my audio and video. It seems to be the 120hz processing that seems to be the culprit, when i turn it off the lip synching effect seems to be minimized. On high, the audio delay is really noticable. I have my tv fed by my STB via hdmi. When using my old workhourse receiver, an old Denon 3300 ( no hdmi) the delay is still there. I do not have any way of delaying the sound to the point where it matches wahts going on on the screen. Do you think samsung can fix this with firmware? perhaps make another screen in the menu with a sync adjustment? Its really aggrivating. Other than that. I am one very happy camper- but i really would like to have this taken care of. I know someone else had this issue a few weeks ago. Did they ever get it fixed?

If AMP is causing an audio delay, then that would be a tv issue. It may be your set that has the issue, i.e. bad set, or maybe many do. In any case, in order to get any kind of fix, you will need to call Samsung and report it. They will not make any kind of change unless they get a large number of complaints on an issue.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you did call. For everyone else, if you have an issue, you need to call. If other people besides people on this thread are having an issue, then it will eventually be acknowledged.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #1097 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisek View Post

Try turning off the dynamic contrast under detailed settings. I tried dynamic contrast and it annoyed me to no end on my 52A750.

Dynamic Contrast is a static setting. It should not adjust according to lighting/screen darkness. The AUTO on Energy Savings is supposed to do that, but it sounds like his set is defective if it keeps doing it when turned to off.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #1098 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
caa100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolover718 View Post

After about a week with my new 750, I must say that it is great. I like it tons more than my 71f. However, (puts flame suit on) I too am noticing a really large delay, sometimes it seems as much as half a second between my audio and video. It seems to be the 120hz processing that seems to be the culprit, when i turn it off the lip synching effect seems to be minimized. On high, the audio delay is really noticable. I have my tv fed by my STB via hdmi. When using my old workhourse receiver, an old Denon 3300 ( no hdmi) the delay is still there. I do not have any way of delaying the sound to the point where it matches wahts going on on the screen. Do you think samsung can fix this with firmware? perhaps make another screen in the menu with a sync adjustment? Its really aggrivating. Other than that. I am one very happy camper- but i really would like to have this taken care of. I know someone else had this issue a few weeks ago. Did they ever get it fixed?

Audiolover,
Could you clarify a couple of things about your issue:
1. Are you getting audio before video, or vice versa? (I think audio first, but I can read your post both ways)
2. Do you have this problem when using the set's internal speakers, or only when using your external audio receiver?
3. I see from your post that you have your STB connected directly to the TV via HDMI. How is your receiver connected?

-Chris
caa100 is offline  
post #1099 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sharkcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sadly, considering the amount of video processing the 650/750 are doing, a small amount of video lag should be expected. Until they start putting processors in these LCDs comparable to ones such as the upcoming Intel Larrabee, I wouldn't expect this issue to improve in contemporary displays.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
sharkcohen is offline  
post #1100 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sharkcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Dynamic Contrast is a static setting. It should not adjust according to lighting/screen darkness. The AUTO on Energy Savings is supposed to do that, but it sounds like his set is defective if it keeps doing it when turned to off.

Yup, all Dynamic Contrast seems to do is move the white point around. Not sure why anyone would use it, rather than just adjusting the Contrast setting.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
sharkcohen is offline  
post #1101 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Newbie
 
ACERyderMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Dynamic Contrast is a static setting. It should not adjust according to lighting/screen darkness. The AUTO on Energy Savings is supposed to do that, but it sounds like his set is defective if it keeps doing it when turned to off.

Thanks harrisek and studdad. The TV must be defective because it did the contrast adjustments even with Energy Savings mode off. In any case I am returning it. It is now the third issue with this TV
a) warped stand
b) broken part ratteling inside remote
c) weird and annoying auto contrast adjustments.

I certainly hope the next one that arrives is flawless. In fact - I think I might avoid big river and try BB or CC - although big river has been very easy to work with.

Can ether of you comment on the PQ difference between the 46A750s and 52A750s? As much as people are trying to avoid it this thread has certainly been hijacked by the LAG issue. I am going to see if there is a comparison thread somewhere.

Thanks again,
ACERyderMan.
ACERyderMan is offline  
post #1102 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
delt31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

Sadly, considering the amount of video processing the 650/750 are doing, a small amount of video lag should be expected. Until they start putting processors in these LCDs comparable to ones such as the upcoming Intel Larrabee, I wouldn't expect this issue to improve in contemporary displays.

I would agree but this amount of lag that people are reporting seems to be extreme. Can everyone with an issue list your FW? Maybe that is it?
delt31 is offline  
post #1103 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Newbie
 
pliable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes:

I went from the LNT4071F to the LN40A750, which SHOULD be my permanent TV if nothing happens (I got the A750 as a replacement for the 4071F from Samsung because the 4071F went wonky and dead pixels appeared). However, I'd like to calibrate this beast now. What is the best way to go about this? Should I buy the AVIA DVD? Or go with the Digital Video Essentials Blu-ray? Recommend me some easy to use calibration software please, thanks!
pliable is offline  
post #1104 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Member
 
Jsquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't updated my FW, so it should be the factory (1004.00 ?). Again I want to say that while I have measured a 1/10th sec delay between my laptop and TV, I haven't actually had a problem with lag in my daily use.
Jsquid is offline  
post #1105 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
caa100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pliable View Post

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes:

I went from the LNT4071F to the LN40A750, which SHOULD be my permanent TV if nothing happens (I got the A750 as a replacement for the 4071F from Samsung because the 4071F went wonky and dead pixels appeared). However, I'd like to calibrate this beast now. What is the best way to go about this? Should I buy the AVIA DVD? Or go with the Digital Video Essentials Blu-ray? Recommend me some easy to use calibration software please, thanks!

You need to calibrate each input according to how it will be used.

If you are going to have standard DVD hooked up, Avia or DVE would be fine.

However, if you have a blu-ray player, you may need to get DVE. (I do not think Avia's blu-ray disc is available yet.)

-Chris
caa100 is offline  
post #1106 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Member
 
harrisek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Dynamic Contrast is a static setting. It should not adjust according to lighting/screen darkness. The AUTO on Energy Savings is supposed to do that, but it sounds like his set is defective if it keeps doing it when turned to off.

I'll have to double check when I get home. The effect I experienced was that the backlighting "adjusted" when the scene transitioned from light to dark. I may have recalled the setting I was experimenting with incorrectly.
harrisek is offline  
post #1107 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

Yup, all Dynamic Contrast seems to do is move the white point around. Not sure why anyone would use it, rather than just adjusting the Contrast setting.

Well, I like Dynamic Contrast. I put it on low. It seems to give the picture a little more pop, and it definately increases the contrast ratio. Purists will leave it off, and it might add too much brightness for some people, but it is one thing I really do like.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #1108 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACERyderMan View Post

Thanks harrisek and studdad. The TV must be defective because it did the contrast adjustments even with Energy Savings mode off. In any case I am returning it. It is now the third issue with this TV
a) warped stand
b) broken part ratteling inside remote
c) weird and annoying auto contrast adjustments.

I certainly hope the next one that arrives is flawless. In fact - I think I might avoid big river and try BB or CC - although big river has been very easy to work with.

Can ether of you comment on the PQ difference between the 46A750s and 52A750s? As much as people are trying to avoid it this thread has certainly been hijacked by the LAG issue. I am going to see if there is a comparison thread somewhere.

Thanks again,
ACERyderMan.

The 46" will be SLIGHTLY sharper, just as the 40" will be slightly sharper than the 46". The reason why is all these tvs have the same number of pixels, so the larger the screen, the larger the pixels.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #1109 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pliable View Post

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes:

I went from the LNT4071F to the LN40A750, which SHOULD be my permanent TV if nothing happens (I got the A750 as a replacement for the 4071F from Samsung because the 4071F went wonky and dead pixels appeared). However, I'd like to calibrate this beast now. What is the best way to go about this? Should I buy the AVIA DVD? Or go with the Digital Video Essentials Blu-ray? Recommend me some easy to use calibration software please, thanks!

Avia is much easier to use than DVE. However, if they have not come out with a Blue Ray calibration disk yet, then the DVE would probably be the way to go. I thought Avia was supposed to have a Blue Ray calibration disk by now.....it has only been delayed about 6 months for cryin out loud.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
post #1110 of 12494 Old 05-28-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
studdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisek View Post

I'll have to double check when I get home. The effect I experienced was that the backlighting "adjusted" when the scene transitioned from light to dark. I may have recalled the setting I was experimenting with incorrectly.

Right, that should be your AUTO setting in the energy savings menu. If energy savings is on anything other than AUTO, and it is still doing it, then there is an issue.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
studdad is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln40a750 , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln52a750 52 Inch 1080p Dlna Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln46a750 46 Inch 1080p Dlna Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off