Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany View Post

what exactly is the flash-light issue. Is that in deep areas of black you can see patterns or whites moving when it should just be black?

It looks like if the tv should be all black (like credits rolling), there are some white lights that's creeping from the top left of the screen.. another one i saw is if I go view the tv at a 145 degree, i see blueish/greenish when it should all be black.. maybe I'm just too anal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 10:00 AM

Liked: 11
you got the newest firmware for the TV and were you running with AMP on or off.. and did that make a difference?
post #1173 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 AM

After shopping for several years waiting for my 27" tube to die, I finally gave in to a $60 price drop and ordered a 46a750 yesterday from Amazon!

Of course, the new account I set up to gimmick the gold box decided to offer me the TV with 5% off this morning, right after my order went into "Shipping Soon" state..

I have a few comments on recent posts in this thread:
1) Dynamic contrast is usually achieved by increasing the backlight during bright scenes and lowering the backlight during dark scenes. Is Samsung's setting different from this?

2) To Krishna: If my TV doesn't arrive too late, I should be able to test it with a PAL source for you.

3) To ChrisFromAlbany: The D-SUB (VGA) cable is an analog cable, so DVI-HDMI should be better, assuming you're starting with a DVI or HDMI output. Of course, if you are converting a VGA output into HDMI, I don't think there's much point.

I'm scared of ordering something this expensive online, but people seem to have had good experiences here; I hope everything turns out okay.

Now to back up my SD DVR, talk myself into getting a ps3, and search every walmart I can find for the TV stand I want .
(http://whalenfurniture.com/products/xl1.html)
I can't wait.

Conroy
post #1174 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caa100 View Post

You need to calibrate each input according to how it will be used.

If you are going to have standard DVD hooked up, Avia or DVE would be fine.

However, if you have a blu-ray player, you may need to get DVE. (I do not think Avia's blu-ray disc is available yet.)

Well, I have a Playstation 3 that I use for both DVD and Blu-ray movies, so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Avia is much easier to use than DVE. However, if they have not come out with a Blue Ray calibration disk yet, then the DVE would probably be the way to go. I thought Avia was supposed to have a Blue Ray calibration disk by now.....it has only been delayed about 6 months for cryin out loud.

I guess I'll just go with DVE then. I wasn't sure how it compared to Avia. Thanks for the help gentlemen!
post #1175 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 10:50 AM

Do you really think there is less glare on the 650 vs. a plasma? The 650 has a very glossy screen that to me looks as shiny if not more shiny than plasma. The matte screens of LCDs have always been a key benefit of LCD which I don't think the 650/750 have anymore with this new shiny screen. The pisture is amazing though. Looked at it again last night at Best Buy and the picture is among the best on a any display in my opinion - still shiny, but really good anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post

Energy consumption for a plasma in normal viewing is about $12-$15 more per year....It really is not that much difference.

I bought the A650 because it was every bit as good as the Panny plus lighter, more kid friendly (if they leave a static image on when friends sleep over), less glare and numerous picture tuning options. Also, black levels were about the same as the plasma, better color reproduction and a "sharper" more vibrant image!!!

post #1176 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 11:01 AM

Not according to CNET. According their info the PN50A550 costs $136 per year on the default setting and $114 on the calibrated setting. The LN52A650 costs $68 on default and $44 on calibrated. That's a $70 difference per year just between a 50" plasma and 52" LCD. Assuming more power would be needed for a 58" plasma I think it could easily be more than $100 a year more to run a 58" plasma than a 52" LCD. So unless CNET is wrong with their data (always possible) there's a HUGE difference in costs just to keep the thing turned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post

Energy consumption for a plasma in normal viewing is about $12-$15 more per year....It really is not that much difference.

I bought the A650 because it was every bit as good as the Panny plus lighter, more kid friendly (if they leave a static image on when friends sleep over), less glare and numerous picture tuning options. Also, black levels were about the same as the plasma, better color reproduction and a "sharper" more vibrant image!!!

post #1177 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conroy9 View Post

Now to back up my SD DVR, talk myself into getting a ps3, and search every walmart I can find for the TV stand I want .
(http://whalenfurniture.com/products/xl1.html)
I can't wait.

Conroy

Not sure how big your space is but I use this for my 46"

post #1178 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcarig View Post

Do you really think there is less glare on the 650 vs. a plasma? The 650 has a very glossy screen that to me looks as shiny if not more shiny than plasma. The matte screens of LCDs have always been a key benefit of LCD which I don't think the 650/750 have anymore with this new shiny screen. The pisture is amazing though. Looked at it again last night at Best Buy and the picture is among the best on a any display in my opinion - still shiny, but really good anyway.

This is just my opinion based on experience, but I think that the amazing picture quality has a lot to do with the glossy screen. It's the same thing with laptop LCD's; the "ultra bright" etc screens have beautiful colors, but they are all very glossy. It's something I will never use on my laptop, since I want to be able to work more than I want to see a pretty picture, but I've decided that I prefer the glossy look on a TV.
post #1179 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conroy9 View Post

3) To ChrisFromAlbany: The D-SUB (VGA) cable is an analog cable, so DVI-HDMI should be better, assuming you're starting with a DVI or HDMI output. Of course, if you are converting a VGA output into HDMI, I don't think there's much point.
Conroy

Being the it is a form of digital out I am wonder what native resolution VGA cable does compared to a DVI-HDMI cable. I went ahead and order a DVI-HDMI cable from buy.com for $10 but wondering if I get the TV tomorrow and watch a 1080P movie, am I watching a 1080P version or something lesser. Figure DVI-HDMI cable will come in next week.

I live in Albany, NY and got an email yesterday saying it was shipped from Amazon. Now I am waiting for CEVA to call me for a delivery. I am figuring one to two days for that. Love to have the TV in by this weekend.
post #1180 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger3p View Post

Not sure how big your space is but I use this for my 46"

That doesn't look bad.. I think I want to get an open stand because I'm concerned about heat, especially since the DVR and possible PS3 will both have hard drives in them.

I've also been a little wary of Ikea after some bad experiences with broken furniture from them
post #1181 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 11:54 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpsilonExordium View Post

I have an 52" A750, a PS2 and a 40gb PS3. I am contemplating buying a used 60gb PS3 so I can play upscaled PS2 games. Can someone tell me if this is worth it or not? I can trade up my new 40gb for a used 60gb for $150.

I'm still looking at new sets, but I have a 60GB PS3 connected to my crappy-banding-worst,ever-Sharp LCD. I must say that I was pretty impressed by the upscaling of the PS2 games. (and even the PS1 games)

If you think you are gonna play a lot of PS2/PS1 games still, then yeah...jump on that 60GB unit. (make sure that you have some return policy on it or can verify it is working correctly before you buy since it is used).
However, if you don't think you'll play much PS2/PS1 games in the future...then I wouldn't bother.

Also, the 60GB version includes HARDWARE emulation...so you get pretty much full PS2/PS1 compatibility.

Datacide

*Don't shop at The Brick...ever!*
post #1182 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Now the LN52A750 has a "d-sub cable" to link up to the computer. Is there any lose in quality when watching 1080P through this cable compared to using a DVI-HDMI cable. Basically should I spend the money to get a DVI-HDMI cable for the computer to the TV. I have a old "d-sub cable" already.

Hey christ, albany is the shiznit btw, cost of living being almost free and all. But to answer your question, the DVI-HDMI cable is WELL worth the 6-7$ (google: monoprice) The dvi give you a perfect 1:1 pixel mapping, which you can reall notice if you want to read any sort of text off the screen. With the analog, the pixels look like they're bleeding together, theres a soft fuzz to it. (Though the tv might try to correct this somehow).
post #1183 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 12:09 PM

Do any owners have any recomendations of the best HDDVD to wow with? I know this gets asked all the time on the main board, but my question deals specifically with this tv, showing off the AMP, good black levels, ect.
post #1184 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Being the it is a form of digital out I am wonder what native resolution VGA cable does compared to a DVI-HDMI cable. I went ahead and order a DVI-HDMI cable from buy.com for $10 but wondering if I get the TV tomorrow and watch a 1080P movie, am I watching a 1080P version or something lesser. Figure DVI-HDMI cable will come in next week.

I live in Albany, NY and got an email yesterday saying it was shipped from Amazon. Now I am waiting for CEVA to call me for a delivery. I am figuring one to two days for that. Love to have the TV in by this weekend.

I hope you have better luck than me! I ordered my 750 from amazon last Thursday and by my estimates it has traveled about 100 miles so far. It was picked up in Cincinatti OH, and has so far made it to Columbus OH yesterday evening! I live in S. Texas, I cant imagine how long this thing is going to take to make it here. The estimated delivery date has been June 5th. When I ordered I thought no way, it will make it sooner than that. Now Im just hoping it will be here by then! Anyone have any 750 CEVA shipping stories to share?

post #1185 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 View Post

I hope you have better luck than me! I ordered my 750 from amazon last Thursday and by my estimates it has traveled about 100 miles so far. It was picked up in Cincinatti OH, and has so far made it to Columbus OH yesterday evening! I live in S. Texas, I cant imagine how long this thing is going to take to make it here. The estimated delivery date has been June 5th. When I ordered I thought no way, it will make it sooner than that. Now Im just hoping it will be here by then! Anyone have any 750 CEVA shipping stories to share?

They usually deliver before the scheduled date. Make sure you call them and not wait for them to call you because their tracking can be behind. I live in Chicago, and my TV went through Ohio also, it's just waiting for me to go pick it up right now and pack up my 650 to send back.

Mosh~~
post #1186 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:

You can pretty much rely on the estimated shipping date on the CEVA tracking page. Obviously Amazon is shipping the least expensive manner considering that shipping is included with the cost of the TV. That means freight rates, and freight speeds. CEVA will call you to schedule a delivery date once it reaches the regional warehouse. CHecking the CEVA site I see my 750 was shipped 5-day Economy. You can track your shipments on: www.cevalogistics.com

An interesting thred on Eagle/CEVA shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Shipping...sin=B000N50RLO
post #1187 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 12:39 PM

Hi, I have a collection of home HD recorded videos (.mt2s files which are based on the mpeg4 codec) from a Sony camcorder. Will I be able to play those videos using the DLNA function of a 750 series LCD? Or will the videos need to be converted to some other format/file extension? BTW, what happened to the list of supported DLNA video file formats that were listed in the first post? It is now deleted.
post #1188 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Mosh View Post

They usually deliver before the scheduled date. Make sure you call them and not wait for them to call you because their tracking can be behind. I live in Chicago, and my TV went through Ohio also, it's just waiting for me to go pick it up right now and pack up my 650 to send back.

Mosh~~

I called the 800 number and basically got the run around. CEVA said the estimated date for delivery was June 4th. It is being shipped from Harrisburg PA, about a 5 hour drive. The lady I talked to said it was moving along and didn't let me know exactly where it was. I am guessing it hasn't moved at all or she had no clue as it where it was.
post #1189 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

I suggest we remove the block diagram from Post 1, or at least amend it as follows:
  • Diagram shows 2 s-video ports (set only has 1)
  • Diagram shows Bluetooth interface (not present)
  • Diagram shows S-Card and M-Card interfaces (not present, though perhaps this is a feature of the processor that is not being used on the set.)

Mikl1984 where are you? We would love an updated diagram!

-Chris
post #1190 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Hey we are in the same point. Ordered my last Thursday (I think) and it has gotten as far as Columbus from Cincinnati so far. CEVA says a June 3rd delivery date.

I've read about CEVA and have heard mixed things - but like this forum a lot of is people who have something to complain about. Crossing fingers that it gets here soon enough.
post #1191 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 12:58 PM

I took the advice of a poster on the CEVA thread and called CEVA at their 800 number (1-800-888-4949) to arrange delivery. My 750 was at the local warehouse here in Boston according to the tracking information. We made arrangements for White Glove delivery tomorrow. Its going to be an exciting weekend.
post #1192 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 01:00 PM

Anyone else have a problem connecting a laptop (Dell Inspiron 9300 with a go6800) to the A750 via DVI->HDMI? The TV does not recognize the signal. I also renamed HDMI/DVI to PC. I'll check if it's a firmware problem. I had no problems with the A650, but I returned it because of the purple tint (which the A750 does not have). What can I do to make it work?

My DirecTV box and HDDVD work fine with HDMI. I switched around the laptop to HDMI 1, 2, and 4 and still no luck. I pressed fn F8 and no luck still.
post #1193 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danamc View Post

You can pretty much rely on the estimated shipping date on the CEVA tracking page. Obviously Amazon is shipping the least expensive manner considering that shipping is included with the cost of the TV. That means freight rates, and freight speeds. CEVA will call you to schedule a delivery date once it reaches the regional warehouse. CHecking the CEVA site I see my 750 was shipped 5-day Economy. You can track your shipments on: www.cevalogistics.com

An interesting thred on Eagle/CEVA shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Shipping...sin=B000N50RLO

Thanks for the direct link to CEVA tracking. Looking on their page it shows that the item was not received for shipping until Tuesday morning in Cinci, and reached the Columbus location early this morning. The amazon tracking page says it shipped out Friday. I guess someone let it sit in a warehouse over the holiday weekend.

Mine also says 5-day economy shipping. The amazon tracking page says estimated arrival date June 5, but the CEVA page says June 3. Very interesting, and thanks again for the info.

I was hoping to have it by this weekend for my Halo 3 tourney, but as long as it gets here by next week I wont be in the doghouse. Wife wants it more than I do!

post #1194 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:

I took the advice of a poster on the CEVA thread and called CEVA at their 800 number to arrange delivery. My 750 was at the local warehouse here is Boston according to the tracking information. We made arrangements for White Glove delivery tomorrow. Its going to be an exciting weekend.

From where to where and how long?

Mine is from Harrisonbury, PA to Albany, NY and I order it 5/28..
post #1195 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 01:07 PM

have you guys upgraded to the new firmware yet? What does the new firmware do?

This is what it says

This firmware will correct the following phenomenons some units may experience.
-. Equalizer balance function error

What is this??
post #1196 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the direct link to CEVA tracking. Looking on their page it shows that the item was not received for shipping until Tuesday morning in Cinci, and reached the Columbus location early this morning. The amazon tracking page says it shipped out Friday. I guess someone let it sit in a warehouse over the holiday weekend.

I order mine on Monday night this week. Amazon said it was suppose to ship out Tuesday. I called Amazon on Weds when they said it wasn't in stock and it got shipped out on Wed COB. CEVA shows TV not getting scanned in until 11:30 Weds night. I feel Amazon dropped the ball on this order. I was hoping to get it this weekend. But could be worst if CEVA drops the ball in shipping.
post #1197 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:

From where to where and how long?

Mine is from Harrisonbury, PA to Albany, NY and I order it 5/28..

From Harrisburg, PA to Boston. Picked up from Amazon on 5/26. Shipping two days to Boston, arrived yesterday. Tomorrow delivery.
post #1198 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:

I order mine on Monday night this week. Amazon said it was suppose to ship out Tuesday. I called Amazon on Weds when they said it wasn't in stock and it got shipped out on Wed COB. CEVA shows TV not getting scanned in until 11:30 Weds night. I feel Amazon dropped the ball on this order. I was hoping to get it this weekend. But would could be worst if CEVA drops the ball in shipping.

Ya, I placed my order last Thursday thinking it would get shipped out before the holiday weekend, but that obviously didnt happen. I was needing to have it by this weekend, but o well. I saved $400+ tax by ordering through Amazon instead of picking it up this weekend at BB or CC. I can wait a little bit longer for $600 savings.

post #1199 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger3p View Post

have you guys upgraded to the new firmware yet? What does the new firmware do?

This is what it says

This firmware will correct the following phenomenons some units may experience.
-. Equalizer balance function error

What is this??

"Search" is your friend.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post13918163

-Chris
post #1200 of 12494 Old 05-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:

From Harrisburg, PA to Boston. Shipping two days to Boston, arrived yesterday. Tomorrow delivery.

When you mean two days.. you are saying.. Amazon send email saying it was shipped on 1st... and it was in Boston by the 3rd? That is good time.. Wish person the phone knew more instead of repeating the websites L O N G estimated date of June 4th. Your time makes more sense from what I have been reading from other posters here and on Amazon.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln40a750 , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln52a750 52 Inch 1080p Dlna Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln46a750 46 Inch 1080p Dlna Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page