Sony W4100 series thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2871 Old 05-19-2008, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't wait to see all the pics from people getting their tv's in the next few days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2871 Old 05-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

yeh! please post as many pics as you can! the more the merrier!
post #273 of 2871 Old 05-19-2008, 07:12 PM

Thanks on the input on speaker quality. Very helpful!

Can't wait to see more pics and owner reviews.
post #274 of 2871 Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 PM

I am anxiously awaiting any input as well. I will be upgrading my Sony 34" XBR960N to a bigger TV within my price range (~$3000) and was wondering if I should go with either the Sony 46" Z4100 or the 52" W4100. I've been having problems with my current XBR lately so I have an opportunity to replace it with another Sony at a decent discount.

Others have also recommended the Samsung A650. I guess I'll have to wait to see if the 46" Z4100 is better than both a 52" W4100 or the 52" A650.

My #1 concern is the picture quality for Xbox 360 and PS3 gaming!

informer

Xbox 360 Ambassador - informer
PS3 Gamer Advisory Panel - informer
post #275 of 2871 Old 05-19-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfanjps View Post

Good morning, all! Last Friday I picked up a 40w4100 at my local BB (10% coupon, RZ certificates, plus good financing). I chose it over the Samsung 650 because it could be had for $50 to $75 cheaper and I just don't think I'd like the glossy screen and TOC. It was a completely blind buy as they didn't have one on display, but I had owned a 40V4100 previously for about a week so I figured they'd be comparable. I've never had a 120hz set but thought if I don't like it, it can always be turned off. The tv has an excellent picture out of the box, better than the V4100 IMHO. My V had that "warmup" effect others have talked about which was kind of annoying. I have a ps3 and 360 connected via hdmi and both look really good. I only have basic SD cable w/HD local channels, so I really can't experience a lot of HD programming, but what I have seen has been impressive. The W makes for a nice computer monitor, and I just love Sony's PIP and P&P. I also really like the new TV Guide feature. It works great after my initial setup. The Motionflow has been an interesting feature. I do believe it helps w/ motion blur, but I haven't exactly had a chance to view alot of sports and fast action stuff either. I did put in a bluray of Enchanted, w/animated opening, and together w/CineMotion Auto 1 it made for a completely new experience. Very 3-dimensional! So far I have liked everything about this tv save for one flashlight in the bottom left corner. Does anyone know if these can go away over time or should I try to switchout the set? It's only noticeable on a blank screen or while watching a letterboxed movie. Anyways, that's my initial less than 2 day old impression. I think it's an excellent set. I will try to post some pics if I can figure out how to do it. Have a great day!

I saw the v4100 at cc today and it looked really good. They even hooked it up to the bluray player for me and I was very impressed. Is the w4100 that much better? Worth the extra money? Why did you only keep the v for a week? Were you that disappointed by the pq? How about the sd pq? And this warm up effect you speak of, maybe after some hours get put on that might go away? Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.
post #276 of 2871 Old 05-19-2008, 10:13 PM

I owned the V or about a week and a half but then my local BB got in the W and I got my check from George W. plus I had a 10% coupon so I deducted that the W with motionflow could be had for cheaper than a Samsung 650. I did not like the speaker grill on the V nor the fuzzy picture the first few minutes, so I pulled the trigger.

All I know is that there is something different about the W. I find it hard to describe, but just trust me...it is a better picture than the V. I watched alot of HD tonite and was blown away with the picture in THEATER mode. There is alot of detail, even in shadows. The blacks appear to be solid and the sound - oh the sound! There is definitely something different going on w/the W's sound quality. I go into the sound options and it says DYNAMIC w/surround turned off, but I'm telling you it sure sounds like surround coming out of the speakers.

PS3 and 360 have worked flawless w/game mode turned ON. I haven't tried them w/o it yet. My only concerns w/my tv so far is there appears to be a slight flashlight in the bottom lefthand corner which I hope may go away over time. I also experienced some audio issues w/my local NBC station when broadcasting in DD 5.1, but it has since gone away. They must have had technical difficulties or something. I know alot of people don't like the "hole" of these new Sony's but I got to say after owning 2 of these models for a couple of weeks now it really does grow on you and it looks really nice! By the way, the W has a much sleeker looking grill on it than the V. The "dots" are much more microscopic and the little slivers that connect the panel to the speakers are now silver instead of the V's black.

I don't know if this all adds up to a $400 difference in price but I can easily say I'm glad I pulled the trigger. I wonder if the Z will deliver the same?
post #277 of 2871 Old 05-20-2008, 02:46 AM

soonerfanjps,

Great input! Thanks!
post #278 of 2871 Old 05-20-2008, 05:13 AM

Yes Soonerfan, thank you very much for the reply and great input. Please reply here if you could, when/if that light in the corner that you see goes away with continued use.
post #279 of 2871 Old 05-20-2008, 01:05 PM

I was at my local BB today and got excited when I saw the W4100 series and then realized the box said 40W4100. I can't wait to see more reviews on the 52" model because I'm almost ready to pull the trigger.
post #280 of 2871 Old 05-20-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:

I owned the V or about a week and a half but then my local BB got in the W and I got my check from George W. plus I had a 10% coupon so I deducted that the W with motionflow could be had for cheaper than a Samsung 650. I did not like the speaker grill on the V nor the fuzzy picture the first few minutes, so I pulled the trigger.

All I know is that there is something different about the W. I find it hard to describe, but just trust me...it is a better picture than the V. I watched alot of HD tonite and was blown away with the picture in THEATER mode. There is alot of detail, even in shadows. The blacks appear to be solid and the sound - oh the sound! There is definitely something different going on w/the W's sound quality. I go into the sound options and it says DYNAMIC w/surround turned off, but I'm telling you it sure sounds like surround coming out of the speakers.

PS3 and 360 have worked flawless w/game mode turned ON. I haven't tried them w/o it yet. My only concerns w/my tv so far is there appears to be a slight flashlight in the bottom lefthand corner which I hope may go away over time. I also experienced some audio issues w/my local NBC station when broadcasting in DD 5.1, but it has since gone away. They must have had technical difficulties or something. I know alot of people don't like the "hole" of these new Sony's but I got to say after owning 2 of these models for a couple of weeks now it really does grow on you and it looks really nice! By the way, the W has a much sleeker looking grill on it than the V. The "dots" are much more microscopic and the little slivers that connect the panel to the speakers are now silver instead of the V's black.

I don't know if this all adds up to a $400 difference in price but I can easily say I'm glad I pulled the trigger. I wonder if the Z will deliver the same?

Great impression Soonerfanjps, could you test the tv with game mode off (preferably with some motionflow on) to see if there's any input lag and blur with ps3 and 360, thanks. Also I would like to know if you can use motionFlow when game mode is on. thanks !!! Can we get some pics too ?
post #281 of 2871 Old 05-20-2008, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Got my Sony KDL52W4100 in safely today. Just tossed it on the wall. Here are some pictures. Sorry but my camera sucks. Did not do anything special on set up other than take it out of vivid mode to standard mode. Won't have much time to play with it this weekend but I will start next weekend. The HD picture is really good. No flashlights or clouding. No complaints at all so far.

Inputs:

Label: (Sorry it is blurry)

TV in HD via DirecTV: (Awesome picture!)

TV in SD: (So so picture)

Hole picture: (You can say that here without being banned?)
post #282 of 2871 Old 05-20-2008, 07:21 PM

Game mode disables both cinemotion and motionflow. Sorry. I am unable at the moment to take any pictures (going on vacation tomorrow = camera packed away) but I might be able to experiment w/game mode off shortly when I get finished packing.
post #283 of 2871 Old 05-20-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Game mode disables both cinemotion and motionflow. Sorry. I am unable at the moment to take any pictures (going on vacation tomorrow = camera packed away) but I might be able to experiment w/game mode off shortly when I get finished packing.

Ok thanks Sooner for the answer !!! Nices pics Ranger especially the hd one !! Really happy to see that these sets are assembled in USA and not Mexico (quality ^^^^)
post #284 of 2871 Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe in their California plant, I believe they do assemble around L.A. or S.F., I know it's one of those big two cities up there, can't think of where... I mean, after all, there are plenty of Japanese companies that do send some manufactured parts to American assembly plants, like Honda and Toyota, for cars, and seems like Sony's doing that for their consumer electronics and televisions, so I think that serves them quite well to do that.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #285 of 2871 Old 05-20-2008, 09:27 PM

I've been reading these boards for several months. Just received my
52W4100 yesterday, so here are my initial impressions (sorry for long post).

My objective: Replace an existing 42 Samsung EDTV (480p) Plasma in
light-filled family room which has a picture window opposite the TV with
cellular blinds (not blackout blinds). Main viewing position is 12 feet from TV.
The Samsung ED Plasma is a great set (had a better picture than many 720p
Plasmas when I bought it 3 years ago), but main reasons for replacing it are:
(1) want larger TV (around 50), (2) want TV with less glare (dark shows/movies difficult to watch during the day), and (3) want TV with better, brighter picture/whites/blacks (for better daytime viewing).

TVs researched/considered over last several months: LCDs - Sony W3000, W4100, XBR4, Samsung 4669, LN550, LN650; Plasmas - Panasonic PZ77U. Initially was leaning towards the 4669, but largest size is 46 and decided that 46 was not going to be much different from my 42 (plus read about many motion/firmware issues). Next leaned toward the XBR4, but wife did not like the glass frame/bezel which makes the 52 a monster on the wall, plus the XBR4 has some issues handling motion (observed in-store and read online), a problem for my sports watching. The W3000 wasn't bad, just not near the picture quality of the XBR4. Also really liked the PZ77U but when compared with the LCDs, the picture just seemed too dull (ok for a light controlled room, but not my light-filled family room), but the anti-glare screen was very effective (too bad it's no longer available). Then waited for the new Samsungs and really liked the 650 and 550. The 550 has a nice semi-matte screen that does a good job of reducing glare, but the more I compared the 550 to other sets (in-store), the picture looked a bit washed-out and dull. To me, the 650 has as good a picture as the XBR4 and seems to handle motion better. The only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on the 650 was its glossy screen which produces reflections as bad as my Samsung ED Plasma. Then waited for the new Sony sets and the W4100 finally fit the billpicture approaching XBR4 quality, handles motion better than XBR4 and almost as good as the 650, styling ok with wife, semi-matte screen cuts out glare/reflections, and priced less than the 650 and XBR4.

Connected to my 52W4100: Time Warner Motorola 8300HD DVR cable box (set to output everything in 1080i) connected via component, Sony DVD Recorder/Player (480p) connected via component, and PS3 connected via HDMI for Blu-ray.

My initial impressions are based on out of the box picture settings (i.e.
Vivid mode), and varying the Motionflow and Cinemotion settings.

Overall Picture: Excellent, even in Vivid mode. Picture quality gets close to XBR4 in equiv. Vivid mode (XBR4 likely has a bit more detailed picturehard to tell at this point, as my W4100 still needs calibrated). Whites are white and blacks are black. Colors jump off the screen. No green or purple tint to blacks or whites.

Clouding: None.

Flashlights: Very slight flashlights in each corner, visible when all lights
are turned off in room at night. Not noticeable with any amount of light on in
the room (and I will not be watching this set in the dark). Also, this is with
the backlight turned all the way up (Vivid mode).

Overall Motion: Better than XBR4. Compared the W4100 next to XBR4 in-store with same settings. With Motionflow on Standard, W4100 had no smearing/artifacts while the XBR4 often showed some (good 1080i Food Network cable feed). On High, XBR4 pretty bad with motion, W4100 not perfect, but still better than XBR4. However, I still think the 650 may be slightly better handling motion vs. the W4100. Wish Sony had one more Motionflow setting between Standard and Off.

HDTV: Looks incredible. Watched MLB, NBA, NBC/ABC/CBS, other typical HD channels and all looked great. Settled on Motionflow on Standard and Cinemotion on Auto1. NBA action was smooth, no smearing or artifacts. Same with MLB. A bit of a soap opera effect on some HD shows (sitcoms, dramas).

SDTV: Not bad. As good as my Samsung EDTV Plasma which does a really nice job with SDTV. But 52" vs. 42" does magnify the flaws of SDTV. Expect it to improve some with calibration.

SD DVD (480p): Really nice with good quality DVD. Not so good with poor quality DVD (picture similar to SDTV). Need to play more with Cinemotion and Motionflow settings on SD DVDs.

PS3 Blu-ray: Picture quality phenomenal. Motion handling and effect runs the
gamut depending on Motionflow and Cinemotion settings. Still not sure what
settings I like. Motionflow on High is definitely too artificial for me, even
Standard might be too processed and soap opera-ish, but Standard is smoother than Off, so I might just leave it on Standard. Again, seems to handle motion on Blu-ray better than XBR4, based on my in-store experiences with XBR4 hooked up to Blu-ray feeds.

Gaming: Sorry not much of a gamer, so haven't tested set for gaming yet. TV does have a Game Mode, so I assume that will help with gaming.

Sound: I use a 5.1 system, so did not play with sound settings. But did briefly listen to Blu-ray through TV and sounded OK to me.

Glare: Minimal reflections. Screen finish is very similar to XBR4, a semi-matte (or semi-gloss, to me it is more matte than gloss).

Off-Angle Viewing: Not very good. My Samsung ED Plasma had much better
off-angle viewing. The W4100 picture washes out quite a bit as move off center (at about 60 deg off center). Seems to be a similar issue with other LCDs (Plasmas seem better for off-angle viewing).

Styling: Satisfies wife. The hole really not noticeable when mounted on the
wall, even with light colored walls and lights on. Really like the illuminated
SONY logo, but probably will become annoying over time (can turn it off).
Overall dimensions and styling better than XBR4, takes up less wall space. It is, however, quite a bit thicker than my Samsung ED Plasma, so it stands out further from wall, but not too bad.

Summary: Very happy with this set and would highly recommend it. Expect it to get even better once I experiment with the settings and calibrate with Avia. Glad I went with 52" vs. 46", good size from 12 feet. Picture quality is close to XBR4 for a lot less $$$ and better motion handling than XBR4. If the 650 had a semi-matte screen, I probably would have opted for it vs. the W4100, as it seems a bit better overall, but the reflections from glossy screen are a problem for me. So on balance, the W4100 is the best overall set that satisfies my needs.
post #286 of 2871 Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 PM

wow great second post JasebudThink i'm gonna have to pull the trigger aswell I noticed that in the cnet review of the sammy 650 they said that shadow details was good but not great as the xbr4 maybe because of the glossy screen. I think the W may have some better shadow details with the semi-gloss screen !

And i got to confess that im a real sucker for the illuminated sony logo
post #287 of 2871 Old 05-20-2008, 10:10 PM

I might just take the leap as well from jasebud's impressions.
post #288 of 2871 Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 PM

I was waiting for the 46W4100 to be shipped directly from Amazon, but then I noticed Butterfly Photo has some astoundingly low prices on the new W4100 series. The 52" W4100 on there is less than the 46" W4100 on Amazon.
And they have free shipping.

Does anyone have any experience with these guys or has anyone bought a TV from them? I peeked around this site but there's not much info.

I'd pull the trigger for the 52" at that price.

Thanks
post #289 of 2871 Old 05-20-2008, 11:00 PM

Purchased my 52W4100 from them. Ordered online Tuesday night, received following Monday, no problems (although not double-boxed like their website says, but original carton survived shipping pretty well). After ordering, they called to confirm order and offered accessories, extended warranty, etc. that you can chose to purchase or not. I politely declined and TV shipped out the next day. You can search web for many reviews of them. Risk is that if you end up with a bad set, you have to deal directly with Sony for repair. If set is damaged in shipping, you can refuse delivery, but once you accept delivery any problems are your own to deal with.
post #290 of 2871 Old 05-21-2008, 07:35 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasebud View Post

I’ve been reading these boards for several months. Just received my
52W4100 yesterday, so here are my initial impressions (sorry for long post).

My objective: Replace an existing 42” Samsung EDTV (480p) Plasma in
light-filled family room which has a picture window opposite the TV with
cellular blinds (not blackout blinds). Main viewing position is 12 feet from TV.
The Samsung ED Plasma is a great set (had a better picture than many 720p
Plasmas when I bought it 3 years ago), but main reasons for replacing it are:
(1) want larger TV (around 50”), (2) want TV with less glare (dark shows/movies difficult to watch during the day), and (3) want TV with better, brighter picture/whites/blacks (for better daytime viewing).

TVs researched/considered over last several months: LCDs - Sony W3000, W4100, XBR4, Samsung 4669, LN550, LN650; Plasmas - Panasonic PZ77U. Initially was leaning towards the 4669, but largest size is 46” and decided that 46” was not going to be much different from my 42” (plus read about many motion/firmware issues). Next leaned toward the XBR4, but wife did not like the glass frame/bezel which makes the 52” a monster on the wall, plus the XBR4 has some issues handling motion (observed in-store and read online), a problem for my sports watching. The W3000 wasn’t bad, just not near the picture quality of the XBR4. Also really liked the PZ77U but when compared with the LCDs, the picture just seemed too dull (ok for a light controlled room, but not my light-filled family room), but the anti-glare screen was very effective (too bad it's no longer available). Then waited for the new Samsungs and really liked the 650 and 550. The 550 has a nice semi-matte screen that does a good job of reducing glare, but the more I compared the 550 to other sets (in-store), the picture looked a bit washed-out and dull. To me, the 650 has as good a picture as the XBR4 and seems to handle motion better. The only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on the 650 was its glossy screen which produces reflections as bad as my Samsung ED Plasma. Then waited for the new Sony sets and the W4100 finally fit the bill…picture approaching XBR4 quality, handles motion better than XBR4 and almost as good as the 650, styling ok with wife, semi-matte screen cuts out glare/reflections, and priced less than the 650 and XBR4.

Connected to my 52W4100: Time Warner Motorola 8300HD DVR cable box (set to output everything in 1080i) connected via component, Sony DVD Recorder/Player (480p) connected via component, and PS3 connected via HDMI for Blu-ray.

My initial impressions are based on out of the box picture settings (i.e.
Vivid mode), and varying the Motionflow and Cinemotion settings.

Overall Picture: Excellent, even in Vivid mode. Picture quality gets close to XBR4 in equiv. Vivid mode (XBR4 likely has a bit more detailed picture…hard to tell at this point, as my W4100 still needs calibrated). Whites are white and blacks are black. Colors jump off the screen. No green or purple tint to blacks or whites.

Clouding: None.

Flashlights: Very slight flashlights in each corner, visible when all lights
are turned off in room at night. Not noticeable with any amount of light on in
the room (and I will not be watching this set in the dark). Also, this is with
the backlight turned all the way up (Vivid mode).

Overall Motion: Better than XBR4. Compared the W4100 next to XBR4 in-store with same settings. With Motionflow on Standard, W4100 had no smearing/artifacts while the XBR4 often showed some (good 1080i Food Network cable feed). On High, XBR4 pretty bad with motion, W4100 not perfect, but still better than XBR4. However, I still think the 650 may be slightly better handling motion vs. the W4100. Wish Sony had one more Motionflow setting between Standard and Off.

HDTV: Looks incredible. Watched MLB, NBA, NBC/ABC/CBS, other typical HD channels and all looked great. Settled on Motionflow on Standard and Cinemotion on Auto1. NBA action was smooth, no smearing or artifacts. Same with MLB. A bit of a soap opera effect on some HD shows (sitcoms, dramas).

SDTV: Not bad. As good as my Samsung EDTV Plasma which does a really nice job with SDTV. But 52" vs. 42" does magnify the flaws of SDTV. Expect it to improve some with calibration.

SD DVD (480p): Really nice with good quality DVD. Not so good with poor quality DVD (picture similar to SDTV). Need to play more with Cinemotion and Motionflow settings on SD DVDs.

PS3 Blu-ray: Picture quality phenomenal. Motion handling and effect runs the
gamut depending on Motionflow and Cinemotion settings. Still not sure what
settings I like. Motionflow on High is definitely too artificial for me, even
Standard might be too processed and “soap opera-ish”, but Standard is smoother than Off, so I might just leave it on Standard. Again, seems to handle motion on Blu-ray better than XBR4, based on my in-store experiences with XBR4 hooked up to Blu-ray feeds.

Gaming: Sorry not much of a gamer, so haven’t tested set for gaming yet. TV does have a Game Mode, so I assume that will help with gaming.

Sound: I use a 5.1 system, so did not play with sound settings. But did briefly listen to Blu-ray through TV and sounded OK to me.

Glare: Minimal reflections. Screen finish is very similar to XBR4, a semi-matte (or semi-gloss, to me it is more matte than gloss).

Off-Angle Viewing: Not very good. My Samsung ED Plasma had much better
off-angle viewing. The W4100 picture washes out quite a bit as move off center (at about 60 deg off center). Seems to be a similar issue with other LCDs (Plasmas seem better for off-angle viewing).

Styling: Satisfies wife. The “hole” really not noticeable when mounted on the
wall, even with light colored walls and lights on. Really like the illuminated
SONY logo, but probably will become annoying over time (can turn it off).
Overall dimensions and styling better than XBR4, takes up less wall space. It is, however, quite a bit thicker than my Samsung ED Plasma, so it stands out further from wall, but not too bad.

Summary: Very happy with this set and would highly recommend it. Expect it to get even better once I experiment with the settings and calibrate with Avia. Glad I went with 52" vs. 46", good size from 12 feet. Picture quality is close to XBR4 for a lot less $$$ and better motion handling than XBR4. If the 650 had a semi-matte screen, I probably would have opted for it vs. the W4100, as it seems a bit better overall, but the reflections from glossy screen are a problem for me. So on balance, the W4100 is the best overall set that satisfies my needs.

Excellent review...thanks for all the info!

Just curious, you do know the PS3 will upscales regular DVDs right? Then you can take your other DVD player out of the mix since you get better quality out of the PS3. Or at least use the PS3 for playback and keep the other for just recording.

I've been very impressed by the upscaling of the PS3.

Datacide

*Don't shop at The Brick...ever!*
post #291 of 2871 Old 05-21-2008, 10:05 AM

I know there won't be a 52" Z series Sony and the XBR6/7 will be out of my range so this could potentially be my new set! I want to compare to the 650 and the (yes i know this is lcd forum) panasonic 800u plasma still, but I think this one might get my dollars!
post #292 of 2871 Old 05-21-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defkon View Post

I know there won't be a 52" Z series Sony and the XBR6/7 will be out of my range so this could potentially be my new set! I want to compare to the 650 and the (yes i know this is lcd forum) panasonic 800u plasma still, but I think this one might get my dollars!

I'm in the same boat. Looking for a 52" to replace my 42" Sony RPTV. The Z series wont have 52", I HATE the Touch of Color aspect of the Samsung a650 and I'm not paying the super high price of the XBR6/7. So I guess I'll be ordering the 52W4100 very soon.
post #293 of 2871 Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

is cinemotion required to be on in order to have motionflow? I ask this because cinemotion is known to cause stutter in some applications like some games etc..
post #294 of 2871 Old 05-21-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200mk View Post

how does the 52" version of this look with SD content?

I just got my TV yesterday ... not great on SD I have to admit ... but still watchable in my opinion ... in most cases, the Analog channels looked better than the digital channels ... I wouldn't buy this TV if the focus is on SD programs... the HD channels however look great, especially the News and in-studio programs ... I've never felt so compelled to watch news ... it's like the anchors are sitting just next to me in the same room chatting ...

Blu-ray and HD trailers downloaded from Playstation Store on my PS3 look great as expected ... love my TV so far
post #295 of 2871 Old 05-21-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datacide View Post

Excellent review...thanks for all the info!

Just curious, you do know the PS3 will upscales regular DVDs right? Then you can take your other DVD player out of the mix since you get better quality out of the PS3. Or at least use the PS3 for playback and keep the other for just recording.

I've been very impressed by the upscaling of the PS3.

Yes, I should have explained that the PS3 is on "loan" from my basement system where is it hooked up to a Panny AX200 projector w 102" screen. So I brought it up to connect to the 52W4100 to test Blu-ray on it. Looks like I will need to get another PS3!
post #296 of 2871 Old 05-21-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 View Post

is cinemotion required to be on in order to have motionflow? I ask this because cinemotion is known to cause stutter in some applications like some games etc..

No. Motionflow and Cinemotion settings are independently set. Takes a while to test all the possible combos and each can provide a different affect depending on the source material. Game Mode disables both Motionflow and Cinemotion, however.
post #297 of 2871 Old 05-21-2008, 06:00 PM

Frequently reference is made to calibration of the sets. What does that entail? How/who does that? What instruments/sources are required?
post #298 of 2871 Old 05-21-2008, 06:11 PM

I went to a Sony Style store in the Mclean, VA area, and they had the 46W4100 on display, so it seems all the sizes are finally trickling out. I played with the 46" for a bit this evening, and I'm still not sure if I liked having Motionflow on at all for movies, as even at the "standard" level, it seemed a little "video'ish" to me. I turned it off and I thought motion still looked pretty good. I also thought the screen/panel was a little more reflective that I thought it will be, but definitely not as reflective as plasmas or Samsung A650s. However, it did seem a little bit more reflective than the Sammy LN4669, I had one that I ended up returning after having it for about week due to flicker issues. Looks like I'll be picking up a 46W4100 as soon as possible, at less than msrp of course
post #299 of 2871 Old 05-21-2008, 06:45 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasebud View Post

Yes, I should have explained that the PS3 is on "loan" from my basement system where is it hooked up to a Panny AX200 projector w 102" screen. So I brought it up to connect to the 52W4100 to test Blu-ray on it. Looks like I will need to get another PS3!

Oh...hehe...yeah *terrible* conundrum you have there.

So...projector or Sony LCD...which is a better for games?

Datacide

*Don't shop at The Brick...ever!*
post #300 of 2871 Old 05-21-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:

Good morning, all! Last Friday I picked up a 40w4100 at my local BB (10% coupon, RZ certificates, plus good financing). I chose it over the Samsung 650 because it could be had for $50 to $75 cheaper and I just don't think I'd like the glossy screen and TOC. It was a completely blind buy as they didn't have one on display, but I had owned a 40V4100 previously for about a week so I figured they'd be comparable. I've never had a 120hz set but thought if I don't like it, it can always be turned off. The tv has an excellent picture out of the box, better than the V4100 IMHO. My V had that "warmup" effect others have talked about which was kind of annoying. I have a ps3 and 360 connected via hdmi and both look really good. I only have basic SD cable w/HD local channels, so I really can't experience a lot of HD programming, but what I have seen has been impressive. The W makes for a nice computer monitor, and I just love Sony's PIP and P&P. I also really like the new TV Guide feature. It works great after my initial setup. The Motionflow has been an interesting feature. I do believe it helps w/ motion blur, but I haven't exactly had a chance to view alot of sports and fast action stuff either. I did put in a bluray of Enchanted, w/animated opening, and together w/CineMotion Auto 1 it made for a completely new experience. Very 3-dimensional! So far I have liked everything about this tv save for one flashlight in the bottom left corner. Does anyone know if these can go away over time or should I try to switchout the set? It's only noticeable on a blank screen or while watching a letterboxed movie. Anyways, that's my initial less than 2 day old impression. I think it's an excellent set. I will try to post some pics if I can figure out how to do it. Have a great day!

So let me get this right, your SD cable pics shown are over the tv's tuner? with out a cable box?

i have comcast with a scientific atlanta hd dvr box over hdmi on a 2 year old 40" s series and it looks like complete garbage compared to that. HD is fine but just about all SD is horrible. Once i get the w series I may just start watching SD over the tuner if thats the case.

- Dan
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 40w4100 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 52w4100 52 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Sony
Gear in this thread - 52w4100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page