Sony W4100 series thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have seen clouding complaints on the 750 but all LCD's have this to varying degrees and usually not that noticeable with proper calibration. I have to say I tried an A550 before this Sony and returned them for various defects (pixels and banding) so I wouldn't step back down to those. This Sony by far has been the best as far as lack of clouding, dead pixels. There is some uniformity issues in the corners but nothing more than Ive seen with other LCD's. If this sparkle would go away I would keep this W but I think its something internal causing it or some sort of processing its doing or trying to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 08:42 AM

dohspc, I have seen the "sparkle" you show above as well. However, it doesn't happen every time I'm looking at that screen on the PS3. Not sure why.

However, I've never seen it while the PS3 is playing either a movie or a video game, so I believe it's a processing quirk with the PS3 itself. On other sources I haven't noticed it on TV either. (I have a 46W4100, fyi).

Are you really going to return it because of those "sparkles"? With everything else that's right about this TV, I can live with the occasional sparkle, especially when it never occurs other than when showing the PS3 home screen or pausing movies. Just my $0.02.
post #543 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 08:54 AM

Yeah but it does occur in different screens and situations. It's just too annoying to see them pop up like that especially in areas where there is no video (black bars when watching something in 4:3). I must have the worst luck with tv's ever.
post #544 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohspc View Post

Yeah but it does occur in different screens and situations. It's just too annoying to see them pop up like that especially in areas where there is no video (black bars when watching something in 4:3). I must have the worst luck with tv's ever.

I haven't seen it in the black bars (in 4:3 or 2.45:1) yet... maybe you just have a particularly bad set? I'll check mine a bit more to see if I can see them in any black bar portion...
post #545 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 12:06 PM

Checked again.

4:3 using DirecTV input, no "sparkles" on the black bars.

16:9 using PS3 (HDMI) input, see intermittent "sparkles" in black areas.

I really think it's the PS3 and not the W4100 that's the culprit.
post #546 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 02:41 PM

"Sparkles" appearing on HDMI source can mean your HDMI cable may be "bad", causing bit-errors which translate to various picture anomalies. I'd try another cable if you have another one around, or order a couple from monoprice.
post #547 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 02:57 PM

I will say that my new W4100 looks better than my XBR4 did, although there is still some minor ghosting. It is nowhere near as bad as the XBR4. I don't think there is any smearing. I can now play games like Condemned 2, GTA4, and Mass Effect without cringing.

I think running Fudoh's test through the XBox 360 is worse than running it through my Sony Vaio laptop, but my video included both. I'm not sure if the W4100 necessarily passes Fudoh's test, but the smearing seems to be gone. I will say the W4100 passed it as well as the Samsung A650 did (minor ghosting, but no smearing). In fact, maybe if I test it with the Vaio, the ghosting will be gone? I will do that soon.

Also, the W4100 seems to minimize the annoying autodimming, but only if the settings are correct. I had to turn on auto black corrector, gamma corrector, and contrast corrector (not sure about the proper names) to low. Otherwise the W4100 was autodimming at the most bizarre times. More on this later too. I'm not sure why this worked or if I need to turn all 3 on low or what. I'm not even sure I completely eliminated autodimming.

Also, my set doesn't have mura or flashlights like my XBR4 did. But I will test that again tonight in a really dark room.
post #548 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

is the autodimming really a huge annoyance and does it affect PQ? I'm getting a W4100 soon and I hope the autodimming wouldn't become that big of an issue for me.
post #549 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I don't think it's the PS3 or HDMI cables since I've used the same setup on the A550 and didn't see this. Both HDMI cables are new, they are the Dynex brand from BB so I doubt both are "bad". However I did test Uverse using monster component cables and still see the flashes. Here is a video showing two flashes while watching a 4:3 broadcast you can see them in the black border area where there is no video information. Any other ideas? Maybe just defective?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOSSVZH9Y7w
post #550 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 05:02 PM

Hello fellow KDL-40w4100 users!

I picked up mine last week and have been trying to find the BEST settings for playing games and Blu Rays on a PS3.

Im looking for calibration settings that fit with RGB Full and Super White On with an HDMI cord.

One hint for other new users is that i've noticed that Cinemotion and Motion Enhancer dont agree with each other too much. And if you want your 120hz enabled (i recommend the Standard setting) you should disable Cinemotion completely. There will be virtually zero screen judder this way.

Ok, please some caliration settings will be GREATLY appreciated.
post #551 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolyte View Post

is the autodimming really a huge annoyance and does it affect PQ? I'm getting a W4100 soon and I hope the autodimming wouldn't become that big of an issue for me.

Nope. I don't find it annoying. It does not effect PQ. The only time I notice it is when the screen goes all black with no picture, then the backlight reduces itself. When watching movies or tv, it is not there. When playing games it has no effect. The only time I see it during games is when the screen goes all black during loading times in certain games.
I played Bio-Shock, which is a dark environment game. I had no auto dimming during game play. I was looking for it.
I watched I am Legend blu-ray and the screen never auto dimmed during the movie. Only at the end during the movie credits I will notice the auto dimming. This happens during the time the screen goes all black between pages of the movie credits. If the movie has movies credits that scroll across the screen then there is no auto dimming at all. Anyways I never watch movie credits, I just checked them out to see the auto dimming effect.
The set only auto dims during an all black screen after a certain amount of time.
I played the old school classic arcade game Asteroids on my set (I have the 40v4100). This is the most amount of black you will ever get during game play, the background is completely black and the game uses white line vector graphics. I played in full screen stretched, no cabinet art, no background art. I got the first wave of asteroids down to one small rock flying around and me, thats it and the rest of the screen was black. I left this rock flying around and waited for the screen to auto dim, It never did. I
If the set would auto dim during game play then this would be the game it would for sure do it in.
Again, It never auto dimmed during this almost all black background of a game.
post #552 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 06:24 PM

that review came out like 2 days after i already bought one.

I was extremely happy about my purchase and even after seeing that review just now, im STILL happy with the quality i get from it.
post #553 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFF_ONLINE View Post

that review came out like 2 days after i already bought one.

I was extremely happy about my purchase and even after seeing that review just now, im STILL happy with the quality i get from it.

Thank you! That's how I feel about mine. I liked it better in the store than the Samsungs, and I still like it better. I guess that makes me a Sony fanboy, and that's okay with me!

Nothing is perfect, but I believe the W4100 comes very close for the price. (Especially since I got my 46W4100 for $2100 at Fry's!)
post #554 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke W View Post

Blah blah blah. Don't you ever get sick of hearing yourself? You're just as big an anti-Sony fanboy as you claim these people are pro-Sony fanboys. You know, automatically hating everything by a certain manufacturer is every bit as brain-dead as automatically liking it. Peddle it elsewhere.

Besides, most of us probably read that review before you did.

just ignore the troll. she's just jealous the W4100 has darker blacks than her samsung the 650/750.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski510 View Post

Nope. I don't find it annoying. It does not effect PQ. The only time I notice it is when the screen goes all black with no picture, then the backlight reduces itself. When watching movies or tv, it is not there. When playing games it has no effect. The only time I see it during games is when the screen goes all black during loading times in certain games.
I played Bio-Shock, which is a dark environment game. I had no auto dimming during game play. I was looking for it.
I watched I am Legend blu-ray and the screen never auto dimmed during the movie. Only at the end during the movie credits I will notice the auto dimming. This happens during the time the screen goes all black between pages of the movie credits. If the movie has movies credits that scroll across the screen then there is no auto dimming at all. Anyways I never watch movie credits, I just checked them out to see the auto dimming effect.
The set only auto dims during an all black screen after a certain amount of time.
I played the old school classic arcade game Asteroids on my set (I have the 40v4100). This is the most amount of black you will ever get during game play, the background is completely black and the game uses white line vector graphics. I played in full screen stretched, no cabinet art, no background art. I got the first wave of asteroids down to one small rock flying around and me, thats it and the rest of the screen was black. I left this rock flying around and waited for the screen to auto dim, It never did. I
If the set would auto dim during game play then this would be the game it would for sure do it in.
Again, It never auto dimmed during this almost all black background of a game.

thanks for the reassurance. I guess autodimming isn't that big of an issue and it could probably be fixed by a firmware update if it isn't already fixed on the W4100.
post #555 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 07:38 PM

same here too! Even after the review! i still love the tv! My girl loves it too. I had bad reliabilty with samsungs! Now Sony in other hand, all quailty!

beside you will never get perfect, everyone has different eyes and opinions!

but after seeing the z4100 post, still waiting for soap to throw wat he has out there, i might just return my W for a Z if anything...that silver bezal, SWeeeetttt
post #556 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beoba View Post

Just to be totally sure: Does your V4100 have the same auto-dimming feature as the W4100's? TBH I'd prefer having this for power savings, but I've largely lost interest in the price premium of 120Hz sets.

Wait, so you're here just to argue with people over their choice in television brands? That's the best thing you can find to do with your time? I mean really it'd be more worthwhile if you were arguing over Coke vs Pepsi.

I'm being very serious about this: Take a vacation, ride a bike, you need a better perspective on life.

For anyone who is reading this thread, feel free to take a look at this user's post history. Avoid letting brand bias be a deciding factor in your purchase.

Yeah it does, Its the same as the w4100 but without the 120hz. Also I think Contrast ratio on the v4100 is a bit lower then the w4100.
post #557 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski510 View Post

Yeah it does, Its the same as the w4100 but without the 120hz. Also I think Contrast ratio on the v4100 is a bit lower then the w4100.

Neat, thanks!
post #558 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beoba View Post

Just to be totally sure: Does your V4100 have the same auto-dimming feature as the W4100's? TBH I'd prefer having this for power savings, but I've largely lost interest in the price premium of 120Hz sets.

Wait, so you're here just to argue with people over their choice in television brands? That's the best thing you can find to do with your time? I mean really it'd be more worthwhile if you were arguing over Coke vs Pepsi.

I'm being very serious about this: Take a vacation, ride a bike, you need a better perspective on life.

For anyone who is reading this thread, feel free to take a look at this user's post history. Avoid letting brand bias be a deciding factor in your purchase.

I agree with you on the vacation thing. You mean that someone found a movie that at 12:08 into the film the backlight auto dimmed for a second. OMG what shall we do.
I owned a550 and a v4100 for several weeks, I found the v4100 to be better in almost everything. Thats why I returned the a550. The auto dimming was a non issue for me.
I do not know how the w4100 compares to the a650 though.
post #559 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 09:48 PM

I know I am a v4100 owner (a very happy one), but I did not have the extra cash for the w4100. If the price drops within my 30 days to a point where I can upgrade, then I will. If I need to.
Anyways the v4100 thread has been quiet, thats why I am hear checking out the w4100 thread. Same set, minus the 120hz.
Who much of a difference does the 120hz motion flow effect, hdtv, blu-ray, 360 and ps3 stuff. IYO
I hear that Motion flow should be turned off for gaming. 75% off my time on my v4100 is for 360 & ps3 gaming, so maybe i do not need the 120hz.?
post #560 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 10:51 PM

thanks all for comment. i look at the w4100 and v4100 and compare them to a650 xbr4 w3000....

and prefer the w4100, v4100 or xbr4. but i will buy the w4100, the auto-dimming not seem very bad , only a few times occur. i tried to see it in dark screen and cant see him at all.

i fear the xbr4 smearing and ghostling, so i think w4100 is a better choice right ?? i want a 52''
post #561 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renejr902 View Post

thanks all for comment. i look at the w4100 and v4100 and compare them to a650 xbr4 w3000....

and prefer the w4100, v4100 or xbr4. but i will buy the w4100, the auto-dimming not seem very bad , only a few times occur. i tried to see it in dark screen and cant see him at all.

i fear the xbr4 smearing and ghostling, so i think w4100 is a better choice right ?? i want a 52''

yep, take the w4100 over the xbr4. v4100 is 60hz, w4100 is 120hz. Auto dimming is a non issue.
post #562 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 11:01 PM

thanks for answer
post #563 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

I just got finished watching a movie and I started noticing the sparkles during the credits from afar. Upon closer inspection I noticed them even in non-black areas when looking up close. Just as has been described before... about six inches down from the top bezel and occuring randomly, but always along the same line. Since this was on an HDMI input in use by my HTPC I switched to my 4250HDC (another HDMI input) and observed the same sparkles again, randomly! For the hell of it I switched to the TV input (antenna, no HDMI) and I have yet to observe any sparkles on this input. This is really going to piss me off now that I've noticed it.. because I will without a doubt notice it all the time now.

billiam,

I'm not so sure its bad HDMI cables, because it occurs on two different HDMI cables of two different lengths (one 2ft, one about 5ft) both ordered from monoprice.com. Any other ideas?!

I wonder if the W4100 and Z4100 suffer this very same issue. I posted this very question in the new Z4100 owner's thread, let's hope someone looks closely into this in that thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazer75 View Post

Checked again.

4:3 using DirecTV input, no "sparkles" on the black bars.

16:9 using PS3 (HDMI) input, see intermittent "sparkles" in black areas.

I really think it's the PS3 and not the W4100 that's the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiam View Post

"Sparkles" appearing on HDMI source can mean your HDMI cable may be "bad", causing bit-errors which translate to various picture anomalies. I'd try another cable if you have another one around, or order a couple from monoprice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohspc View Post

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I don't think it's the PS3 or HDMI cables since I've used the same setup on the A550 and didn't see this. Both HDMI cables are new, they are the Dynex brand from BB so I doubt both are "bad". However I did test Uverse using monster component cables and still see the flashes. Here is a video showing two flashes while watching a 4:3 broadcast you can see them in the black border area where there is no video information. Any other ideas? Maybe just defective?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOSSVZH9Y7w

post #564 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

No, I'm afraid it's 100% NOT THE SOURCE. It's just not possible for a myriad of sources (totally different devices and content) as well as totally different cables, etc to all exhibit the same damn problem. It's definitely not the source!
post #565 of 2871 Old 06-07-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post

No, I'm afraid it's 100% NOT THE SOURCE. It's just not possible for a myriad of sources (totally different devices and content) as well as totally different cables, etc to all exhibit the same damn problem. It's definitely not the source!

OK. Maybe give the Sammys a550 or a650 a shot. I have been back and forth between to the two brands.
post #566 of 2871 Old 06-08-2008, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post

I just got finished watching a movie and I started noticing the sparkles during the credits from afar. Upon closer inspection I noticed them even in non-black areas when looking up close. Just as has been described before... about six inches down from the top bezel and occuring randomly, but always along the same line. Since this was on an HDMI input in use by my HTPC I switched to my 4250HDC (another HDMI input) and observed the same sparkles again, randomly! For the hell of it I switched to the TV input (antenna, no HDMI) and I have yet to observe any sparkles on this input. This is really going to piss me off now that I've noticed it.. because I will without a doubt notice it all the time now.

billiam,

I'm not so sure its bad HDMI cables, because it occurs on two different HDMI cables of two different lengths (one 2ft, one about 5ft) both ordered from monoprice.com. Any other ideas?!

I wonder if the W4100 and Z4100 suffer this very same issue. I posted this very question in the new Z4100 owner's thread, let's hope someone looks closely into this in that thread!

To me this sound like the panel or some component in the chipset is somehow defective. You should contact Sony or your retailer about this issue.
post #567 of 2871 Old 06-08-2008, 05:50 AM

Just picked up a 46" w4100 last night. So far it looks awesome. In the middle of moving so im still trying to find all my packed up movies to try them out.

I do have a question for other owners though, is the tv supose to tilt when its mounted to the stand? Its screwed in fine but the tv tilts forward slightly. Is anyone elses like this?

Thanks
- Dan
post #568 of 2871 Old 06-08-2008, 06:08 AM

I have to agree its not the source. Used the same setup on an a550 and did not see any sparkles. And yes it does show up in areas besides the black bars I just focesed on those areas bc they are easier to capture the issue and attempt to prove its not a source issue bc those areas techically are not part of the broadcast. Some people claim they don't see them though and that may be true. This issue is not wildely reported but I found some other sony users complaining about this in another thread on another model. I haven't decided if I'm gonna try a Z or an A750, I didn't want become one of these guys who keep returning tvs but I did spend alot of money.
post #569 of 2871 Old 06-08-2008, 06:10 AM

Yes mine tilts forward slightly too.
post #570 of 2871 Old 06-08-2008, 09:13 AM

yall screen tilts?...mines is pretty straight! i even made sure it did, cuz my samsung 4069 tilted a little bit!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 40w4100 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 52w4100 52 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Sony
Gear in this thread - 52w4100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page