Sony W4100 series thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 12-18-2015, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Sorry to hear of its fate. Do you recall at what setting did you usually run the backlight?
Thats a good question, I'd say MAX(with a power savings setting of LOW which might make the MAX something like 80% of max) for backlight 60% of the time(for daytime viewing) and MAX but with a power savings setting of HIGH(which probably makes the MAX backlight <50%(the screen quite dim)) for nighttime and background TV use.
I was conscious of running the screen bright all the time, thinking I'd save life on the florescent tubes as well as overall power usage but in the end I wonder if it helped the TVs life at all since it wasn't the florescent tubes that failed or got dim but rather the LCD panel(ribbon cable I understand) that probably failed. I did save some power though using the power saving feature, I could really see it on my Kill-a-watt when I had it hooked up, especially when it was set to HIGH, power usage was less than half(100 or more less watts).

Last edited by jjeff; 12-18-2015 at 05:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2015, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Ah I see you were thinking the same. I noticed my V4100 runs noticeably cooler with the backlight set to 3. Panel temperature too, measured with a IR thermometer. I have all the dynamic brightness and other picture "enhancements" minimum or off. Thinking less heat and expansion-contraction as it warms and cools through its daily cycle. And, like you noticed, I plugged it in to a Kill A Watt meter and found on High it would draw up to 200 W or more, down at 3 it would draw about 90W. So far over 40,000 hours and no problems. But I am looking for a replacement just in case. Of course now with LED backlighting this heat may not be such an issue. Although I can see a current draw difference with my LED-lit Dell monitor here, about 35W H vs 20W reduced where I run it all day...).
Old 12-19-2015, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

OK I just went into my other TV(46" W4100) which I have calibrated the same as my now dead 52" W4100 and the backlight is set to 10(max). Now keep in mind I always use a "power saving"(under general setup) of LOW for daytime viewing and HIGH for nighttime and when I just have the TV on for background use. My guess is a Max backlight setting and LOW power savings probably equate to a 7 or 8 on the backlight setting(without using power saving) while a HIGH on power saving(with a max of backlight) probably equates to a 3 or 4 backlight. The reason I like to use the power saving feature vs constantly adjusting the backlight is because it's so simple and quick. I probably change that setting once or twice a day, depending on room brightness and TV usage, the TV is in a bright porch. The simplest way of doing what I want is by using the THEATER(orange) button on the remote but what I don't like about that option is anytime I change inputs(which I do all the time) it turns off the theater setting and the screen goes back to MAX backlight, NOT very desirable in a darkened room where it can be like looking at the sun, especially during commercials that insist on having a super white background

I do hear my TV make occasional pop noises from the back when I switch from various settings, no doubt due to the expansion and contraction of things, like you said it gets pretty hot in the back, especially with a higher backlight setting. It sounds like your OK with a lower backlight setting than I, for the most part I'd be OK with that but due to the fact my TV sits in a very bright area during the day it doesn't always work to use a low setting Hopefully yours and my 46" will continue to work for several more years, I'm getting used to the slightly smaller screen and will probably just stick with the 46" in my porch until it has issues, I'll probably look for a good deal on a larger(maybe 55") for the downstairs where the 46" use to sit main use is the WII and for the kids to use.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 80
On the 1 to 10 backlight scale I've always run mine at 3, "CE" on 1, everything else off, "Picture" at 90, "brightness" at 58, set up with color bars and gray scales. Plenty bright in my living room which of course is a big variable with each user. Hope you can find a suitable replacement!
Old 04-11-2016, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi, does anyone know if KDL-52W4100 has 5.1 Output via Optical Out (for HDMI content, such as Fire Stick plugged into one of the other HDMI inputs)
I am trying to buy a new soundbar and I have to use optical from TV to soundbar, but only if I can get 5.1
Thanks.

TWCNYC
KDL52W4100TV
Old 04-12-2016, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyedipin View Post
Hi, does anyone know if KDL-52W4100 has 5.1 Output via Optical Out (for HDMI content, such as Fire Stick plugged into one of the other HDMI inputs)
I am trying to buy a new soundbar and I have to use optical from TV to soundbar, but only if I can get 5.1
Thanks.
Yes it does, and one of the things I like about my one remaining W4100. It will pass 5.1 from any of it's HDMI inputs to it's optical out. Comes in very handy for my AVR that only has optical audio input
hyedipin likes this.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:17 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Yes it does, and one of the things I like about my one remaining W4100. It will pass 5.1 from any of it's HDMI inputs to it's optical out. Comes in very handy for my AVR that only has optical audio input

This is so good to hear, both having someone who still rocks W4100 like I do, but not only that, also uses the Optical out.
I just wanted to get a better sound for music so sound bar is my only solution, and optical was the only option since this nice TV does not have ARC.

I guess I'll order my soundbar.
Thank you so much Jeff!

TWCNYC
KDL52W4100TV
Old 04-12-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
This is so good to hear, both having someone who still rocks W4100 like I do, but not only that, also uses the Optical out.
I just wanted to get a better sound for music so sound bar is my only solution, and optical was the only option since this nice TV does not have ARC.

I guess I'll order my soundbar.
Thank you so much Jeff!
No problem, I really like my W4100(my original 46") and was quite sad when my 52" model(that was purchased used off Craigslist) died after only a couple years use, with a somewhat common picture problem. Not really died but the picture was unwatchable, with the hash lines all over the screen. My 46" continues to provide daily use and I'd stack it's picture up against my most recent higher end 4k Samsung(when viewing 1080 material) and actually better when viewing 480i material, and the Samsung doesn't pass 5.1 like the Sony does, again I use this feature all the time. NOTE I just thought of this, the W4100 will NOT pass DTS, Dolby Digital just fine but not DTS, if that matters to you. It took lots of trouble shooting to figure this out. One day I popped in the Eagles Farewell Tour I and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get surround to my AVR. I finally deduced it was the DTS so for just this reason I ran a coax audio cable from my BD player direct to my AVR and I now can get surround even if it's DTS. My AVR only has one coax and one optical in, which works just fine with my setup, using my W4100 as the HDMI switcher for everything except DTS.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
No problem, I really like my W4100(my original 46") and was quite sad when my 52" model(that was purchased used off Craigslist) died after only a couple years use, with a somewhat common picture problem. Not really died but the picture was unwatchable, with the hash lines all over the screen. My 46" continues to provide daily use and I'd stack it's picture up against my most recent higher end 4k Samsung(when viewing 1080 material) and actually better when viewing 480i material, and the Samsung doesn't pass 5.1 like the Sony does, again I use this feature all the time. NOTE I just thought of this, the W4100 will NOT pass DTS, Dolby Digital just fine but not DTS, if that matters to you. It took lots of trouble shooting to figure this out. One day I popped in the Eagles Farewell Tour I and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get surround to my AVR. I finally deduced it was the DTS so for just this reason I ran a coax audio cable from my BD player direct to my AVR and I now can get surround even if it's DTS. My AVR only has one coax and one optical in, which works just fine with my setup, using my W4100 as the HDMI switcher for everything except DTS.

Ah the famous vertical lines, had them in the worst way and it was all my fault (or I was lucky, who knows). Just about a month after I bought the TV I noticed terrible backlight bleeding through, I called for service, they came in took the TV, they did something, I think they replaced the panel. A little bit after that vertical lines started appearing, I waited a bit then called Sony for service, they came out, replaced the panel again (seriously it would have been a lot cheaper to give me a new TV but maybe labor laws or something or some kind of company policy, who knows) finally no more vertical lines, however I realized much later that I lost the soap opera effect option (cinemotion) no motion blur but I can tell the feature was missing, but I lived with the TV for 7 more years, 8th year now, and it's still going strong.

I guess it's a shame it doesn't have DTS, this will mean I have to make sure I select regular 5.1 instead of DTS that is offered with some content, but it should be fine I suppose. The only issue is that tall soundbar will most likely block the IR receiver on TV.

TWCNYC
KDL52W4100TV
Old 04-13-2016, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I guess it's a shame it doesn't have DTS, this will mean I have to make sure I select regular 5.1 instead of DTS that is offered with some content, but it should be fine I suppose. The only issue is that tall soundbar will most likely block the IR receiver on TV.
Unfortunately some DVDs(my Eagles one for sure) only had DTS for the surround sound option so I only got stereo or silence(what I'd hear if I selected DTS through my TV) but yes if you have either option then just select Dolby and you'll be good to go. Nice you got your panel replaced under warranty, my 52" was purchased used so I didn't have that option and my 46" is still going strong with no issues. I did quite a bit of reading and it sounds like Sony extended the warranty time on the panel for some people, that or gave them a credit $$ off a new Sony TV. Myself I was so ticked at the whole thing that when I had to replace the 52" I ended up with a 65"(was looking at 60" first but 65" seemed so much larger and nicer) I didn't really look at Sony and instead chose Samsung, hopefully the Sammy will last longer than 5 years, time will tell....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 40w4100 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 52w4100 52 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Sony