Old 07-06-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dza View Post

Let us know what you find out. I did zero's UM calibrations, and they look good. But I see a yellowish tint in it as well.

Also, I'm not sure if this was intended or not, but the picture seems a bit more blurry. I compared zero's movie calibration to the default dynamic settings with a backlight of 4 and a color temp of normal, and the picture seemed sharper on the dynamic settings.

Yeah, Dynamic is sharper. Give my settings a try and see how you like them, as your tv sounds similar to mine. I believe the reason Dynamic is sharper is due to the DNIe engine. For some reason, in Samsung's "Infinite Wisdom" they decided to only allow use of the DNIe engine in Dynamic Mode. That would be fine if you could access the detailed settings menu so you could warm up the picture, but unfortunately detailed settings is not available in Dynamic Mode.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 01:12 PM

Where are the suggested settings for the sound on this set? I cant find them in the searches.

Also, where can you adjust the black level in the Service Menu? I've seen it somewhere before.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:23 PM

do the calibrations for the 650 set work the same as the ones on the 750? and which so far is the best calibration so far on this thread?

I get my new 750 in a few days
Old 07-07-2008, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post

do the calibrations for the 650 set work the same as the ones on the 750? and which so far is the best calibration so far on this thread?

Check zerog6 calibration a few posts back, he got the highest contrast using calibration tools.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:33 PM

Hey Kj, Where the heck are ya?..lol
Just wondering if you had any updated settings to share.
Thanks.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would not use 650 calibrations to calibrate your 750. I think the general concensus is that Zerogs are the best at this time for most people. If you get too much green or yellow, try mine (although mine are just eyeballing it, not calibrated with equipment). Whatever you use, you will most likely have to make slight changes to fit your individual tv and your own viewing tastes.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
Old 07-07-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

I would not use 650 calibrations to calibrate your 750. I think the general concensus is that Zerogs are the best at this time for most people. If you get too much green or yellow, try mine (although mine are just eyeballing it, not calibrated with equipment). Whatever you use, you will most likely have to make slight changes to fit your individual tv and your own viewing tastes.

thanks guys...its good to see a community of enthusiasts working together
Old 07-07-2008, 10:07 PM

which page is zerog6's final calibration???
Old 07-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

which page is zerog6's final calibration???

Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 AM

Folks - quick question.

I have the LN46A750 and it's hooked up to a DTV HD-DVR; when I tweak my settings I have noticed that the HDMI Black Level setting is grayed out. Does anyone know why this would happen? I cannot change the setting. I do have it hooked up via HDMI and it's of the 1.3 variety.

Otherwise, I love this TV. I'm using the calibration from the Ultimate AV Mag link on page 11 of this forum with the only adjustment being that I raised the backlighting from 1 to 3.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post

Alright, I think I'm finally done. I've tried for quite a while, but it's not going to get any better than what I've done now from my experience.

The grayscale was already as good as it can get, so that was pretty much unchanged. The same goes for the contrast ratio.

I was able to get better color accuracy in the end. Previously I had good dE values for the colors, but the x/y values were further off than what I wanted. I found that by raising the general color setting even more and then compensating by lowering the intensity of each color in the color space menu, I was able to get better accuracy in the x/y values. Which in turn gave me even better dE values. Green though is still a color that's simply under saturated, there's nothing you can do about it. None the less, it's still pretty close to being where it needs to be. And if you look at the file, you can see that every other color if pretty much perfect.

I'm very happy with everything now. So I think this was my last calibration for a while. Special thanks to ra004e for letting me borrow his eye-one sensor so I can do the calibrations and post the results, it's very much appreciated.

For those who want the white balance settings for the user menu. They really haven't changed much at all from my previous Warm-1 settings. So you'll be fine using the previous White Balance settings I posted combined with the rest of these settings I have now. I'll post them together below so you won't have to keep searching for them.

The ColorHFCR file is attached

Here they are:

FW:1007

Movie Mode: Warm-1

Contrast Ratio: 3,110:1

White Balance
If adjusting through User Menu
Offset
R: 28
G: 25
B: 21
Gain
R: 25
G: 25
B: 29

If adjusting through Service Menu - "WB Movie" Settings
R_Gain = 52
B_Gain = -89
R_Offset = 0
B_Offset = 8
Gamma = M2

(SM-WB Movie/User Menu) Picture Settings
Backlight = 3
Contrast = 100
Brightness = 43
Color = 50
Sharpness = 10
Tint = 50/50
Gamma = 0 , If you already adjusted Gamma through the Service Menu (Expert Settings)
Gamma = -1, If adjusting Gamma through User Menu only

Color Space
Red
R = 30
G = 0
B = 1
Green
R = 26
G = 46
B = 0
Blue
R = 9
G = 0
B = 41
Cyan
R = 30
G = 47
B = 56
Magenta
R = 38
G = 0
B = 58
Yellow
R = 60
G = 48
B = 0

do i need to download the zip or is all the information in this post?
Old 07-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

do i need to download the zip or is all the information in this post?

You don't need to download it, it's all the same info
Old 07-08-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan70 View Post

Folks - quick question.

I have the LN46A750 and it's hooked up to a DTV HD-DVR; when I tweak my settings I have noticed that the HDMI Black Level setting is grayed out. Does anyone know why this would happen?

I have an HR21 and it does the same. I believe this is because the HR21 is correctly reporting back via HDMI the correct level to send, so the TV locks into the correct one.

It certainly seems like the right one. I can change it on my DVD player and it looks pretty darn wrong when it is wrong.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:17 PM

Hi,

I am a newbe and just got LN46A750, in wiselink mode I do not see any backlight adjustment option. Is there a way I can set the backlight in the this mode or just adjusting the contrast/brightness also adjusts the backlight.

Thanks,
Old 07-09-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:

The ColorHFCR file is attached

Here they are:

FW:1007

Movie Mode: Warm-1

Contrast Ratio: 3,110:1

Question for ZeroG6. I was able to input all your setting using User Menu except of Contrast Ratio. How can I input the Contrast Ratio using User Menu? BTW, I am using the latest FW 1008.

Another question. Brian William always wears dark or black suit when he is in NBC Nightly News. It is hard to see the contour or detail on his suit. With your setting, I still cannot see the contour or detail of his suit. Is there anything to adjust it? (For the record, I don't care what he wear. I just want better black contrast.)

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by first.octopus View Post

Question for ZeroG6. I was able to input all your setting using User Menu except of Contrast Ratio. How can I input the Contrast Ratio using User Menu? BTW, I am using the latest FW 1008.

Another question. Brian William always wears dark or black suit when he is in NBC Nightly News. It is hard to see the contour or detail on his suit. With your setting, I still cannot see the contour or detail of his suit. Is there anything to adjust it? (For the record, I don't care what he wear. I just want better black contrast.)

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that Zerog's contrast ratio # was based off of the test and equipment he was using to gather the settings. Unless you have the same equipment your LCD is not going to spit out a contrast ratio "number". Just make sure your Contrast setting is set to 100.

Remember that all these sets have slight variances so what's optimal for one LN46A750 may not be ideal for another. You may want to up the Backlight number to something like 5 or 6 and see how you like that.

I have also found that people may not really like what a correctly calibrated set looks like. The settings that I based my set off of are from page 11 of this forum from the Ultimate AV Mag settings.

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...52/index7.html

I based my settings off that link and upped the Backlight as 1 was way too low. Remember that these are "starting points" and tweak the settings to what your eyes like and your room lighting conditions.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:30 AM

Thanks whofan7. I am going to try this when I get home tonight.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The HDMI Black level is not an optional setting. You set it at what your source is supposed to display.
From what I know, any cable/satellite feed is supposed to be set to Low, and a BD/HD DVD player is automatically set to Normal and doesn't let you change it anyway.

I don't know what other sources use, so maybe someone else can let you know what it's suppose to be set to with any others.

Zero,

Can you do me a favor and post your new settings for the user menu, I don't have color hcfr to view your file? It would be greatly appreciated.

Mosh~~
Old 07-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Mosh View Post

Zero,

Can you do me a favor and post your new settings for the user menu, I don't have color hcfr to view your file? It would be greatly appreciated.

Mosh~~

I posted both of them in page 11
Old 07-09-2008, 02:04 PM

zerog,

dude, ur new settings are amazing. i switched over... wowza. really impressed. thanks for all the hard work!

[he_who_dares_wins]-[sas]
Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 PM

So has anyone with a colorimeter been brave enough to try the 1008.2 firmware and see if new settings are needed? I'd like to use Zerog6's latest, but if I'm upgrading to 1007, I may as well go to 1008.2 and get the Energy Saver fixes.

That is another question. What kind of effect does the ES settings have on calibration? I currently have it off.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Parr View Post

So has anyone with a colorimeter been brave enough to try the 1008.2 firmware and see if new settings are needed? I'd like to use Zerog6's latest, but if I'm upgrading to 1007, I may as well go to 1008.2 and get the Energy Saver fixes.

That is another question. What kind of effect does the ES settings have on calibration? I currently have it off.

i have the new 1008.2 firmware and am using Zerog's last settings, i think the PQ is amazing. I only upgraded to fix the auto feature which i use, it really helps kill the flashlight/clouding which i think is better than using dynamic contrast which over juiced everything.

[he_who_dares_wins]-[sas]
Old 07-10-2008, 12:37 PM

Has anyone tried Zerog's final settings with Silent Hills Blu ray to compare the result with page# 3? I'd like to see if it shows more details on pic#3 (blue collar area), and pic#4 (left side of the face). I currently have his settings on but don't have that movie. From what I have noticed, it still crushes black when I watched Hell Boy last night. Now I'm thinking of combining his settings with Cnet's by increasing Gamma to +3 and use the Auto Energy Saver since I have just upped the firmware to 1008.2. I'll try this tonight and will let you guys know.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:27 PM

Just got the 46A750 today, updated the firmware to the latest refresh, and tried out a few separate settings. Went with ZeroG's settings, and they seem pretty damn good. I've only got a few questions however, and pardon me if they seem pretty newbish:

1) Why is the sharpness level set so low? When I was watching Batman Begins on BD (and most BD movies in general), 10 seemed to make everything too fuzzy looking, while setting it higher definitely made the whole thing clear up. I guess my primary question is what is the necessary reason for setting the Sharpness to a lower value, instead of a higher one? Is it a matter of preference, or does it affect the overall contrast ratio?

2) xvYCC color. On or Off, how much does this affect the calibrations?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
In my opinion, sharpness should be at 0. Leave xvYCC off.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel_ZERO View Post

Just got the 46A750 today, updated the firmware to the latest refresh, and tried out a few separate settings. Went with ZeroG's settings, and they seem pretty damn good. I've only got a few questions however, and pardon me if they seem pretty newbish:

1) Why is the sharpness level set so low? When I was watching Batman Begins on BD (and most BD movies in general), 10 seemed to make everything too fuzzy looking, while setting it higher definitely made the whole thing clear up. I guess my primary question is what is the necessary reason for setting the Sharpness to a lower value, instead of a higher one? Is it a matter of preference, or does it affect the overall contrast ratio?

2) xvYCC color. On or Off, how much does this affect the calibrations?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

If sharpness is up too high it will start to introduce noise into the picture, so lower is better generally speaking. The calibration settings in these forums are generally used for a starting point and then you tweak them until the picture looks perfect to you. So if you want a higher sharpness setting, go for it man!

Mosh~~
Old 07-11-2008, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by first.octopus View Post

Thanks.

Well if you are comparing it to a CRT, the brightness it can give you can be details that aren't supposed to be shown.
If zerog6's calibration has a correct 2.2 gamma curve, than that is the correct shadow detail you are supposed to be seeing.
I had my CRT tube's brightness set to 30 & i did see more black details in his suit, but his skin tone looked a tad bit washed out, same with Leno & Letterman. They just didn't have any deep color in their skin tone compared to my LCD.
I had to drop the brightness to 10 on my CRT to get comparable skin tones, which also dropped the shadow detail in Brain Williams suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoskai View Post

Has anyone tried Zerog's final settings with Silent Hills Blu ray to compare the result with page# 3? I'd like to see if it shows more details on pic#3 (blue collar area), and pic#4 (left side of the face). I currently have his settings on but don't have that movie. From what I have noticed, it still crushes black when I watched Hell Boy last night. Now I'm thinking of combining his settings with Cnet's by increasing Gamma to +3 and use the Auto Energy Saver since I have just upped the firmware to 1008.2. I'll try this tonight and will let you guys know.

I can post more pics of them, the shadow detail is as good if not better than the cNet one.
Just be sure to do zerog6's service menu tweaks.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Alright, I think I'm finally done.

Couple of questions:

1. For f/w 1008.2 - can one use your settings (which was done for 1007)?

2. I see you use Movie mode in your calibration settings. Are you using the same settings for, lets' say, cable/ps3/oppo? If you are watching some regular HD program (like travel) in cable/sat, will you switch to standard mode?
Old 07-11-2008, 05:50 PM

I can post more pics of them, the shadow detail is as good if not better than the cNet one.
Just be sure to do zerog6's service menu tweaks.[/quote]

I'm not sure if I wanted to go into the SM since it voids the warranty. Right now I'm sticking with zerog6's adjusting from the UM. Also, it was also said that the differences are not that noticeable. Can someone please confirm?

And thanks in advance for the pics
Old 07-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikoo View Post

Couple of questions:

1. For f/w 1008.2 - can one use your settings (which was done for 1007)?

2. I see you use Movie mode in your calibration settings. Are you using the same settings for, lets' say, cable/ps3/oppo? If you are watching some regular HD program (like travel) in cable/sat, will you switch to standard mode?

1. Yeah you can try the settings for whichever FW, however they will be more "off" and will have to more tweaks than if you use 1007.

2. Yes, I use the same Movie settings for all my content. The thing is, I only have 2 source, Blu-Ray, and Directv HD. And pretty much all the channels I watch are in HD also. I don't have a game system hooked up to the TV so I can't comment on that.