Official LNxxA750 Calibration/Settings Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1433 Old 07-19-2008, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I dunno what to tell you about that one. I'm pretty happy with Cnet's settings when it comes to the current calibration. Of course, that could change with a firmware update, but even then, I'm probably going to try out different configurations with different components. Just going to have to learn what makes different components look equally as impressive as the next.

To me, Movie mode seems to be best with a DVD player/Blu-ray player. For standard television watching, I'm pretty sure that going with Standard mode, probably Gamma set to +2, Backlight around 2, Brightness around 40, Contrast around 87 or so, and some good color balance, I'm going to experiment with that one for a minute, and tell you what happens.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1433 Old 07-19-2008, 06:06 PM

I'm looking to buy a LN52A650 at the end of the month and I was just checking to make sure that Zerog6's settings will work on that set as well.

They're both the same panel effectively so the settings should mirror one another... correct?
post #453 of 1433 Old 07-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa07 View Post

Zerog6

I use the H21 for my directv receiver, but my hdmi black level is greyed out to normal. Just wondering what receiver your using to be able to use the hdmi black level low?

Thanks

I have the H20 receiver, maybe the newer H21 already knows which hdmi black level it needs to be at automatically so you dont need to touch it. Even though it says "normal" that doesnt mean thats what its actually set to since it's grayed out.
post #454 of 1433 Old 07-19-2008, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Right now, I'm trying out AMP on a movie that I'm watching, "The Kingdom, " and watching a scene where they have a this group in an SUV through the desert, and all the action scenes, and I'd have to say that AMP certainly does make all these scenes look rather, heh... Looks like a video game more than a movie, I'm guessing those reviewers were right about it, definitely does make movies and other film-based sources look too fake. I was afraid of that. I do like the effect, tho, definitely does bring out some more motion and action that I've never seen before, and I believe that it'll work under certain circumstances. I'm just hopeful that a firmware update down the road will make the effect look more natural, but until that time, I'm pretty sure that I'm only going to really use this feature on certain sources that may benefit better from AMP...

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #455 of 1433 Old 07-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
For Samsung HDTVs, the AMP is best to set at Low.

KakiC●l○r® Calibration w/ Calman

---------------------------------------------------------------

Current Setup:

*LG 55" LH95/LHX

-Semi-Gloss Coating

-Direct Backlit SlimLED w/ Local Dimming

-3360 LEDs w/ 240 Zones

*LG 42" LM7600

-Gloss Coating

-Edge-lit LED w/ Local Dimming

post #456 of 1433 Old 07-19-2008, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobucks View Post

zerog -

If I want to use your settings, but want to brighten up the picture (yes I know your calculations would go off) would you do it through the backlight function or the gamma one?

Just curious. Right now I have standard as the brighter view and the movie as your setting defaults.

If you want to brighten the picture, you would use the backlight.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #457 of 1433 Old 07-19-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa07 View Post

Zerog6

I use the H21 for my directv receiver, but my hdmi black level is greyed out to normal. Just wondering what receiver your using to be able to use the hdmi black level low?

Thanks

If HDMI Black Level is grayed out, then your black range is where it needs to be.

post #458 of 1433 Old 07-19-2008, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post

Right now, I'm trying out AMP on a movie that I'm watching, "The Kingdom, " and watching a scene where they have a this group in an SUV through the desert, and all the action scenes, and I'd have to say that AMP certainly does make all these scenes look rather, heh... Looks like a video game more than a movie, I'm guessing those reviewers were right about it, definitely does make movies and other film-based sources look too fake. I was afraid of that. I do like the effect, tho, definitely does bring out some more motion and action that I've never seen before, and I believe that it'll work under certain circumstances. I'm just hopeful that a firmware update down the road will make the effect look more natural, but until that time, I'm pretty sure that I'm only going to really use this feature on certain sources that may benefit better from AMP...

Force yourself to watch it with AMP on for 2 weeks, you'll get so used to it things won't look right without it.

post #459 of 1433 Old 07-20-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post

As sharkcohen said, just watch it for a bit and when you watch TV at a friends house without the AMP setting (or something similar) you won't like it, in all likelihood.

When I first got my TV I actually didn't like the AMP either, but after a week or so, I didn't even think about it and when I watch TV at a friends house now, I hate the experience.
post #460 of 1433 Old 07-20-2008, 07:59 AM

So I've been using Auto Energy Saver for a little while and I have a few notes. All of this is with the 1008.2 firmware.

Firstly it seems to work fairly well, especially while watching DVDs/etc.

However you can notice it when watching TV. I was watching Venture Bros. on Adult Swim, which keeps an 'Adult Swim' logo in white in the bottom right of the screen. When a dark scene comes on it lowers the backlight, and you notice the logo going dim. If it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all. Now that I did though, I started noticing it happening over the whole screen, although it still is probably only when a logo/bug is on the whole time to notice it with.

As I was noticing it I started to get the feeling that when the backlight lowered it probably did it a smidge too much, i.e. the scene was darker than it should have been, just by a hair. Of course that could just be paranoia about good calibration kicking in also.

So I'll have to keep an eye out for it for a few more days to see if on TV it causes issues due to the bugs that the channels put in the corners (plus those annoying in show ads), but with DVD watching it seems to be working great so far.
post #461 of 1433 Old 07-21-2008, 08:34 AM

Most of what I watch is in SD, even HD channels are not really HD.
post #462 of 1433 Old 07-22-2008, 12:03 PM

thanks for the settings Zerog, works great on my 650

btw what do you use to open the CHC file from your finals setting ZIP file?
post #463 of 1433 Old 07-22-2008, 02:00 PM

I'm using zerog's settings on my 52A750. I can see much more detail in movies, when compared to the Default Normal settings.

One question regarding the accuracy of color though...

I hooked up a PC to the HDTV at 1920x1080. But when I browse to my home page Yahoo.com, the highlighted borders should be in light blue, almost gray when see on a standard monitor both at home and work.

But on zerog's settings, the light blues and grays all appear orangish yellow. Is it supposed to be like this? or should I adjust my WB to allow more blue in the settings?
post #464 of 1433 Old 07-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotc View Post

thanks for the settings Zerog, works great on my 650

btw what do you use to open the CHC file from your finals setting ZIP file?

You have to download Color HCFR. Just search for it on here
post #465 of 1433 Old 07-22-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakimotoRift View Post

For Samsung HDTVs, the AMP is best to set at Low.

thats where i keep it at low....medium looks great on some content but then it gets too real...

low is perfect but then again on different firmware you get different results...

mine was manufactured jun 30th i don't know which firmware i have
post #466 of 1433 Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 PM

Samy just recently (July 17th) released a new firmware 1009.1

Has anyone tested zerog6's settings on that?

Also, I apologize if this is a dumb question -- well series of questions-- (I don't have the TV in hand yet), but are these settings good for all lighting conditions? All inputs? What about gaming mode (I know there is suppose to be limited ability to tweak in this mode) but from what I have been able to gather from the 150+ page main thread, its really the only way to play PS3 without problems? True -- yes or no?

zerog6, thanks for the work you have put in. We all appreciate it. Any updates to your final calibration?

Thanks to everyone else in advance for your help.

I can't wait to have this TV in front of me.
post #467 of 1433 Old 07-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Some pix running zerog6's setting with minor changes.

Taiwan Full HD Showcase HDClub + BENQ (Movie Mode 電影模式 - PS3) (Filmed in Taiwan)

Current Setup:

*LG 55" LH95/LHX

-Semi-Gloss Coating

-3360 LEDs w/ 240 Zones

*LG 42" LM7600

-Gloss Coating

post #468 of 1433 Old 07-23-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post

You have to download Color HCFR. Just search for it on here

ok thanks Zerog6, if you have time can I ask you to post your complete settings for Detailed Settings & Picture Options? minus the color space and white balance since I already know those from pg 11. But just for the other stuff.

thanks
post #469 of 1433 Old 07-23-2008, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

Force yourself to watch it with AMP on for 2 weeks, you'll get so used to it things won't look right without it.

I believe that I tried that BEFORE updating to 1009, but with this new FW update, I better hope I'm not in for any surprises.

post #470 of 1433 Old 07-23-2008, 09:42 AM

I am going to try out zerogs settings tonight. I will be using the user menu for this. I would like to go into the SM for one thing, and one thing only. to lower the overall backlight. I would like to get a setting lower than the current 0 value. is this possible?
post #471 of 1433 Old 07-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolover718 View Post

I am going to try out zerogs settings tonight. I will be using the user menu for this. I would like to go into the SM for one thing, and one thing only. to lower the overall backlight. I would like to get a setting lower than the current 0 value. is this possible?

No it's not possible, but why would you want to?
post #472 of 1433 Old 07-23-2008, 01:40 PM

Wow!! did you take pictures fo the tv running video or are those still images?

[quote=KakimotoRift;14348337]Some pix running zerog6's setting with minor changes.

Taiwan Full HD Showcase HDClub + BENQ (Movie Mode 電影模式 - PS3) (Filmed in Taiwan)

post #473 of 1433 Old 07-23-2008, 02:01 PM

so the same settings work for both the 650 and the 750?
post #474 of 1433 Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezuz183 View Post

so the same settings work for both the 650 and the 750?

Yes works for both A650/A750

And yes, they are running videos, I paused them to take pictures.

Runnning at 40Mbps + 45Mbps + 80Mbps

Current Setup:

*LG 55" LH95/LHX

-Semi-Gloss Coating

-3360 LEDs w/ 240 Zones

*LG 42" LM7600

-Gloss Coating

post #475 of 1433 Old 07-24-2008, 05:45 PM

Does zerog6's settings run less power? I have noticed that a calibrated TV uses a lot less electricity and runs cooler. Does anyone know if his settings achieve this or do you have to go through the manufacturer menus to get those kind of results?
post #476 of 1433 Old 07-24-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackLovin View Post

Does zerog6's settings run less power? I have noticed that a calibrated TV uses a lot less electricity and runs cooler. Does anyone know if his settings achieve this or do you have to go through the manufacturer menus to get those kind of results?

Yes, his settings use less power than default, mainly because of the lower backlight.

I did a few tests to try to see what effect different settings would have on power usage over here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14025085
Let me know if you have comments or if you think I may have screwed something up in my testing. Basically, I found that backlight, dynamic contrast, and energy saving made the most difference.
post #477 of 1433 Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 PM

I can't seem to find a calibration for the Xbox 360 that I like. I just got the tv two days ago its the 46 inch 750. I am currently using zerog6's settings. Does anyone notice that the sound is a little different like it has a high pitch echoe sort of sound? I didn't have it on the 71 series. I am on the 1007 firmware should I up it to the 1009?
post #478 of 1433 Old 07-25-2008, 01:29 AM

zerog6,
For your setting listed on page 11, did you just leave the Picture Options (Size, Digital NR, DNIe, HDMI Black Level, Film Mode, Blue Only Mode, Auto Motion Plus, Edge Enhancements, Flesh Tone, xvYCC...) on Samsung's factory default since they were not listed? Just wondering.
post #479 of 1433 Old 07-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricBrain View Post

zerog6,
For your setting listed on page 11, did you just leave the Picture Options (Size, Digital NR, DNIe, HDMI Black Level, Film Mode, Blue Only Mode, Auto Motion Plus, Edge Enhancements, Flesh Tone, xvYCC...) on Samsung's factory default since they were not listed? Just wondering.

They're all supposed to be turned off, however some people like to turn them on for personal preference. So you can set them at whatever you like, but they will mess with the calibration if you do.
post #480 of 1433 Old 07-25-2008, 11:23 AM

Hey zerog6,

Thanks for your settings. I think they are for the most part universially accepted as awesome. But a few people, including myself, dont know how well they work for gaming. Do you run a 360 or PS3 on your TV, and if you do, do you have any different settings?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page