Official LNxxA750 Calibration/Settings Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1433 Old 08-22-2008, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. The RED primary on my tv is WAY out (.582/.322). In the service menu there wasn't anything easily recognizable as something that would have changed it.

Owners, do you know of a way to change the coordinates for red? All of the other primaries are well within tolerances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1433 Old 08-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
can anyone post their altered Zerog settings for the new 1900.1 firmware. I started fiddling around with things and I did more harm than good lol.....
post #633 of 1433 Old 08-22-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoglog View Post

can anyone post their altered Zerog settings for the new 1900.1 firmware. I started fiddling around with things and I did more harm than good lol.....

I second that. I just got my 750 on Monday, new Directv receiver installed today. So, today was really the first time I got to get a good look at Zerog's settings from page 11. For some reason....the settings don't look so hot on my set. Things look a bit dark, and perhaps a bit too warm. I wasn' sure if it was due to the firmware update or not. Could it be that I didn't go into the service menu and change things there, too? I'm not that literate in calibration, so I only used the typical user menu out of fear of really messing up my set.

As of now, I simply have my tv set to "standard" and OH WOW...amazing tv we all have. LOL Is it bad that I simply like the "standard" mode? I feel like such a looser.
post #634 of 1433 Old 08-22-2008, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrafter View Post

I second that. I just got my 750 on Monday, new Directv receiver installed today. So, today was really the first time I got to get a good look at Zerog's settings from page 11. For some reason....the settings don't look so hot on my set. Things look a bit dark, and perhaps a bit too warm. I wasn' sure if it was due to the firmware update or not. Could it be that I didn't go into the service menu and change things there, too? I'm not that literate in calibration, so I only used the typical user menu out of fear of really messing up my set.

As of now, I simply have my tv set to "standard" and OH WOW...amazing tv we all have. LOL Is it bad that I simply like the "standard" mode? I feel like such a looser.

I use Standard and love it. You can find my settings in this thread as well. Zerog's tv was 1007 so he did not do anything with the 1009.1 fw. I tried his settings on my 1004 and also found them a bit warm, with too much yellow. Every tv is slightly different, and although Zerog calibrated his with calibration tools and got a perfectly calibrated set, yours will vary. Plus, you, like myself, may find that a perfectly calibrated set is not to your tastes, i.e. too warm. So if anyone finds the settings too warm they might give mine a try and see if you like them any better.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #635 of 1433 Old 08-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

i just finished watching tears of the sun on blue off of my HTPC, i was watching on dynamic mode, and at the end of the movie i let the credits roll, unfortunately for the first time i see what clouding and flashlighting is (more clouding) and also (again never noticed) i have one bright pixel. I have read somewhere that there is a possible way to fix bright pixels, would anyone know how to properly do so? is this clouding affect something to be of a concern about ? or is it just noticable becuase of the brightness of dynamic mode? i would hate to have to return this set for an exchange considering what i had to go through to get it. ohh and FW is also 1008.2 would a FW upgrade do me any good?

TIA
post #636 of 1433 Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

I use Standard and love it. You can find my settings in this thread as well. Zerog's tv was 1007 so he did not do anything with the 1009.1 fw. I tried his settings on my 1004 and also found them a bit warm, with too much yellow. Every tv is slightly different, and although Zerog calibrated his with calibration tools and got a perfectly calibrated set, yours will vary. Plus, you, like myself, may find that a perfectly calibrated set is not to your tastes, i.e. too warm. So if anyone finds the settings too warm they might give mine a try and see if you like them any better.

I set it back to Zerog's settings but changed the backlighting from 3 to 5. That seemed to totally help things out a bit for ME. But...there's still something about the standard that looks the best on my set. I'll try out your standard settings and see how they look. And...get back to ya. Thanks

One question though...I was just watching platform diving. And I noticed the diver seemed a bit pixelated as he dove, but nothing else. Any ideas? Or is something like that to be expected?

Edit: Ok ok...ONE more question. Where are your firmware updated calibration settings? Ah ha...I think I've looked everywhere. I must be smoking crack again. But hey...I CAN at least say...using a phrase like "firmware updated calibration settings" is very cool for a girl....a BLONDE one at that. LOL
post #637 of 1433 Old 08-23-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I set it back to Zerog's settings but changed the backlighting from 3 to 5. That seemed to totally help things out a bit for ME. But...there's still something about the standard that looks the best on my set. I'll try out your standard settings and see how they look. And...get back to ya. Thanks

One question though...I was just watching platform diving. And I noticed the diver seemed a bit pixelated as he dove, but nothing else. Any ideas? Or is something like that to be expected?

Edit: Ok ok...ONE more question. Where are your firmware updated calibration settings? Ah ha...I think I've looked everywhere. I must be smoking crack again. But hey...I CAN at least say...using a phrase like "firmware updated calibration settings" is very cool for a girl....a BLONDE one at that. LOL

I get the pixelated divers too, as does most everyone else. It is the source, not the tv. This has been talked about in other threads. BLONDIE, lol, I am still on 1004, haven't updated yet. 1004, 1007, and 1008 seem to be the same as far as picture goes. 1009 seems to be slightly different.

post #638 of 1433 Old 08-23-2008, 07:41 PM

Picked up the 46A750 about a week ago and am loving it.

Here's my issue: Saw a pre-season game playing on a Vizio at the local pro shop. Came home and compared the picture to my new toy and unfortunately, the other pictured seemed much clearer. (I even went back to look at a second time and asked what their source was, Direct TV). I'm watching HD through TWC

Tried both using both of your calibration settings and no joy.

Any ideas what might help?

Thanks! I appreciate it.
post #639 of 1433 Old 08-23-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:

I get the pixelated divers too, as does most everyone else. It is the source, not the tv. This has been talked about in other threads. BLONDIE, lol, I am still on 1004, haven't updated yet. 1004, 1007, and 1008 seem to be the same as far as picture goes. 1009 seems to be slightly different.

Blondie? Ah ha. Why thanks, Stud! Right back at ya.

Anyway...good to know it's the source and not the tv. My dad recently bought a samsung plasma, and it seemed smoother. I know I know...probably a plasma thing. But...he's also on Comcast HD while I'm on Directv HD. But until there's real fast movement...the pictures are basically the same...STUNNING!!!
post #640 of 1433 Old 08-23-2008, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syzygy 000 View Post

Picked up the 46A750 about a week ago and am loving it.

Here's my issue: Saw a pre-season game playing on a Vizio at the local pro shop. Came home and compared the picture to my new toy and unfortunately, the other pictured seemed much clearer. (I even went back to look at a second time and asked what their source was, Direct TV). I'm watching HD through TWC

Tried both using both of your calibration settings and no joy.

Any ideas what might help?

Thanks! I appreciate it.

get Directv

post #641 of 1433 Old 08-24-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if you see pixels it is with the cable provider compressing the image, TWC does it so much. Nothing wrong with the tv, pixels are from the provider.
post #642 of 1433 Old 08-24-2008, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think HD cable looks amazing, but what settings do you have to make standard television look better.

Is there any setting I should turn off.
post #643 of 1433 Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoglog View Post

yeah, but you notice when you do that it locks out a ton of settings like VGA has by default.

yes you are very right, i never noticed it before you said it as i have never calibrated in this mode, I have now changed the naming to blue-ray for full access
post #644 of 1433 Old 08-25-2008, 06:21 PM

Hey studdad,
are you still using the settings on #314 without any adjustments?
That's the only one I can find posted by you.
thanks.
post #645 of 1433 Old 08-26-2008, 05:24 AM

This forum is great.

Got my 750 this Sunday. Anyone know why my screen is not picking up the ticker that runs at the bottom from CNN and ESPN.

Adjusted picture location to move the picture higher but it doesn't fix the problem.

Any help or suggestion would be most appreciated.
post #646 of 1433 Old 08-26-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemai View Post

This forum is great.

Got my 750 this Sunday. Anyone know why my screen is not picking up the ticker that runs at the bottom from CNN and ESPN.

Adjusted picture location to move the picture higher but it doesn't fix the problem.

Check your picture size mode maybe? Make sure it's on 16:9 or Just Scan instead of one of the zooms
post #647 of 1433 Old 08-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

lol now that ZeroG is gone, we're screwed for 1009 ? anyone come save us non-technical calibrators?
post #648 of 1433 Old 08-26-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezuz183 View Post

Hey studdad,
are you still using the settings on #314 without any adjustments?
That's the only one I can find posted by you.
thanks.

Actually, I have made a few changes. I posted them in post 6042 in the owners thread, but here they are (I included the whole post):

As promised, here are my current settings in Standard Mode. For those of you who have used my settings, you will notice that I have made some minor changes in several areas. As I have stated before, this is just calibrated to my taste, not to a calibration disk or calibration equipment. You will notice that I have an affinity for deep blacks and good shadow detail. I know a lot of people don't like Dynamic Contrast, but I have found that when put on High, it gives very deep blacks and good shadow detail. When you turn it off, you lose a lot of shadow detail in dark scenes. In regards to R Offset, I have fluctuated between 27 and 29 depending on my taste for Red, lol.

Mode: Standard
Backlight: 6 (3 in dark room)
Contrast: 87
Brightness: 41
Sharpness: 15
Color: 45
Tint: G50/50

Black adjust: Low (tried Med, and liked it too)
Dynamic Contrast: High
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Auto
Flesh Tone: +2
Edge Enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off

White Balance:
Offset
R: 27
G: 24
B: 24
Gain
R: 25
G: 25
B: 25

Color Tone: Normal
Film Mode: On
DNR: Off

Edit: AMP is on Low, but your choice.

Edit2: These settings should work good with 1004-1008. If you have fw 1009, you may get a bit too much red. If that is the case, you can drop the skin tones to 0 and/or drop R offset a couple points and increase G or B offset a couple points.

post #649 of 1433 Old 08-26-2008, 04:29 PM

^^ Thanks, mucho, Studdad! I'm gonna try them in a bit with 1009, and try the dropping of the skin tones and such! As I mentioned to you before...I love the standard mode right out of the box. But I HAVE noticed a lack in details in shadows. Nothing WAY bad....but....I AM excited to try your settings out.
post #650 of 1433 Old 08-26-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conroy9 View Post

Check your picture size mode maybe? Make sure it's on 16:9 or Just Scan instead of one of the zooms

That didn't work either.

Thanks for the response.
post #651 of 1433 Old 08-26-2008, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This forum is great.

As mentioned before, you should check your pic size. However, be sure to check it in both the tv AND your cable or satellite box. Your tv should be on either 16:9 or Just Scan, and in your box you should have settings to set it to 16:9, as well as tell it what resolutions you want, i.e. 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p (probably wont have a 1080p setting). I select all resolutions so the box sends the tv its Native Signal (i.e. the format that is being sent by the broadcaster), and the tv does the upconversion. But if you want, you can check 1080i only, which will then make the box do the upconversion. You might want to try it both ways and see what looks best.

post #652 of 1433 Old 08-26-2008, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^ Thanks, mucho, Studdad! I'm gonna try them in a bit with 1009, and try the dropping of the skin tones and such! As I mentioned to you before...I love the standard mode right out of the box. But I HAVE noticed a lack in details in shadows. Nothing WAY bad....but....I AM excited to try your settings out.

no prob. If you want to increase shadow detail even more, then I would suggest upping gamma a point or two, or putting Dynamic Contrast on low (putting dynamic contrast on low will brighten dark scenes up a bit, but at the expense of deeper blacks).

post #653 of 1433 Old 08-26-2008, 05:58 PM

^^ I went back to the standard setting out of the box. It went a bit too green or something with 1009 when I tried the settings from other FW. BUT...I DID up the gamma as you suggested, and just that one little tweek did so much for the details. I.E....I had no idea Dan Rather's dress coat had PIN STRIPES. Who knew??? Ahh haa haa haaa.
post #654 of 1433 Old 08-26-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^ I went back to the standard setting out of the box. It went a bit too green or something with 1009 when I tried the settings from other FW. BUT...I DID up the gamma as you suggested, and just that one little tweek did so much for the details. I.E....I had no idea Dan Rather's dress coat had PIN STRIPES. Who knew??? Ahh haa haa haaa.

So you tried my settings and they were too green? Did you do them exactly, or did you dial back the red. If you dialed back the red, you would get more green. Anyway, all tvs are different, and 1009 seems to have changed things a bit, but usually more towards the warm side, i.e. red/yellow. But good news on the gamma.

post #655 of 1433 Old 08-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting, Unless you set the HDMI to PC mode there is a noticeable lag for PC usage. It's a bit annoying since I'd like to use the AMP for movie files.....

does anyone have calibrations for what they use w/ the PC on HDMI 2 w/ PC setting?
post #656 of 1433 Old 08-26-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:

As mentioned before, you should check your pic size. However, be sure to check it in both the tv AND your cable or satellite box. Your tv should be on either 16:9 or Just Scan, and in your box you should have settings to set it to 16:9, as well as tell it what resolutions you want, i.e. 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p (probably wont have a 1080p setting). I select all resolutions so the box sends the tv its Native Signal (i.e. the format that is being sent by the broadcaster), and the tv does the upconversion. But if you want, you can check 1080i only, which will then make the box do the upconversion. You might want to try it both ways and see what looks best.

Work like a charm. Problem was cable box. Thanks a million.
post #657 of 1433 Old 08-26-2008, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Work like a charm. Problem was cable box. Thanks a million.

no prob

post #658 of 1433 Old 08-26-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:

So you tried my settings and they were too green? Did you do them exactly, or did you dial back the red. If you dialed back the red, you would get more green. Anyway, all tvs are different, and 1009 seems to have changed things a bit, but usually more towards the warm side, i.e. red/yellow. But good news on the gamma.

I did them exactly...at first. Was thinkin it MIGHT be a bit too red. So I first dialed down the red, and brought up the green. Didn't look so hot. So, dialed back the green and brought up the blue. It was just too difficult to decide. I almost think it was the show I was watching at the time. US Open, everything looked greenish (figured it was the court reflecting on the players. But a closeup on Venus Williams...she still had a strong green tint). Switched to Food Network in HD. But, the colors on the people kept changing tint depending on which camera they shot from. So weird. So I gave up and went back to picture reset on Standard. Brought up the gamma to +3, and set the AMP to high. But turned on Film Mode to Auto 1. I've noticed peeps suggesting to turn on Film Mode. But, on mine its not just an "on" switch. It's "Auto 1" "Auto 2". Googled to figure out the difference between the two. I found no info. Oh well. Still looks like a fabulous tv. How did I EVER do without???? My old tv is now in my room. One word...EEEWWW! My eyes have now been opened.
post #659 of 1433 Old 08-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

just curious as to what calibration cd everyone was using or was must calibrations done with the naked eye.

post what disc you used if you did use one i am thinking about picking up
Avia and DVE
post #660 of 1433 Old 08-28-2008, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNkLorD View Post

just curious as to what calibration cd everyone was using or was must calibrations done with the naked eye.

post what disc you used if you did use one i am thinking about picking up
Avia and DVE

Mine was by eye. DVE is very good, but kind of hard to navigate. I have been waiting for the AVIA BD DVD. Have you seen it in BD yet?

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page