Official LNxxA750 Calibration/Settings Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1433 Old 10-07-2008, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the best settings for playing with PS3? I'm currently using the game mode, is that already the optimal setting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1433 Old 10-07-2008, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

How do you know that you hate a professionally calibrated display?

I like the contrast on a professionally calibrated display, but do not like the color temp. I have not had my set calibrated professionally, but have done two things to determine this.

First, I looked at several displays at several BB's that showed how a calibrated display compared to a non calibrated. In every instance, the contrast was great, but the picture was way too warm for my taste. Now, I realize BB is not the best source for a Professional Calibration, and if I were to have it done, I would not get it done by them, but I have to assume they got it at least close to D65, etc.

My second source has been the settings given by people, such as Zerog, in this thread, who have used calibration tools to get very close to what a professional would do. While every TV is different, I cannot imagine that their settings would look dramatically different on their set than on mine. I never like the look of their settings though. Again, too much yellow/warmth.

And finally, it has been stated by other professional calibrators and reviewers that Movie Mode with Warm2 brings you the closest possible to D65 on this set. On my set, it look horrendous.

Now, I realize and respect that you do not want to give out your calibrated settings to the group, but if you would like to give them to me, and have me try them out to see if I may be all wet, then I would be happy to do so. Again, I realize they will look slightly different on your set as opposed to mine, but the difference should not be all that dramatic.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #813 of 1433 Old 10-07-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c888168 View Post

What is the best settings for playing with PS3? I'm currently using the game mode, is that already the optimal setting?

Optimal for lag, not optimal for picture.

post #814 of 1433 Old 10-07-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

so what is the best settings for ps3 that is both optimal for lag and for picture? thanks in advance
post #815 of 1433 Old 10-07-2008, 06:32 PM

Anyone upgrade to the new firmware version 2002.0? I just upgraded from 1009.1 and the colors seem brighter and sharper when using Zerog6's reference settings. Not bad!

If someone with a calibrator can double check, it would be greatly appreciated.
post #816 of 1433 Old 10-07-2008, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c888168 View Post

so what is the best settings for ps3 that is both optimal for lag and for picture? thanks in advance

lol, that is not easy to say. Game Mode reduces lag by turning off a lot of settings that drag on the processor. You might want to try putting your tv in Standard Mode, and turning off everything, such as DNR, Edge Enhacement, etc., and see how the lag is for you. The advantage of this is you still have control over several settings that you don't have in game mode, and put minimal to no lag on the processor. But, this all varies depending on the individual. I have played FPS games with no problems with my Standard Mode settings, the same ones I use to watch tv. Others seem to have too much perceivable lag even in game mode. But I would say the vast majority have no problems with regular settings.

post #817 of 1433 Old 10-07-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:

lol, that is not easy to say. Game Mode reduces lag by turning off a lot of settings that drag on the processor. You might want to try putting your tv in Standard Mode, and turning off everything, such as DNR, Edge Enhacement, etc., and see how the lag is for you. The advantage of this is you still have control over several settings that you don't have in game mode, and put minimal to no lag on the processor. But, this all varies depending on the individual. I have played FPS games with no problems with my Standard Mode settings, the same ones I use to watch tv. Others seem to have too much perceivable lag even in game mode. But I would say the vast majority have no problems with regular settings.

hey, im pretty curious as well. i took off game mode, and noticed a big improvement. im not experiencing lag, so i plan on keeping it on standard. i was just wondering if i should tweak with the settings, and if there were some ones that were good that you know of?

also, should i change the sound settings? in game mode, im sure it switched around the settings... so i was just wondering.
post #818 of 1433 Old 10-07-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks a lot, ill try both settings as well. Has anyone tried the new 2002 firmware?
post #819 of 1433 Old 10-07-2008, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobeshow View Post

hey, im pretty curious as well. i took off game mode, and noticed a big improvement. im not experiencing lag, so i plan on keeping it on standard. i was just wondering if i should tweak with the settings, and if there were some ones that were good that you know of?

also, should i change the sound settings? in game mode, im sure it switched around the settings... so i was just wondering.

Not sure on the sounds, as I use an AVR. But in regards to settings, you can try mine on the previous page of this thread. To eliminate any additional processing, I would turn Dynamic Contrast off, unless you want to try it with it on. I would also try it with AMP on Low and AMP on Off, and see which works better for you. If your blacks crush a bit, but you like Dynamic Contrast, then try turning black level off. If you don't like Dynamic Contrast and have it set to off, but still are getting some crush, then again, turn black level off.

post #820 of 1433 Old 10-08-2008, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Still trying to get as perfect as possible.....so far these are my results

2008/10/08 KakiColor®_ver.081008 Results (A650)

CIE Graph HD REC.709

Gamma Graph @ 2.22

RGB Levels

D65 Balance

Luminance Graph

KakiC●l○r® Calibration w/ Calman

---------------------------------------------------------------

Current Setup:

*LG 55" LH95/LHX

-Semi-Gloss Coating

-Direct Backlit SlimLED w/ Local Dimming

-3360 LEDs w/ 240 Zones

*LG 42" LM7600

-Gloss Coating

-Edge-lit LED w/ Local Dimming

post #821 of 1433 Old 10-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakimotoRift View Post

It looks really really good.

If you want to get rid of that small spike at 10% of the gamma graph, you just raise the brightness by 1, maybe 2 points.

If you want to get the red in the color space triangle to the reference point, in the color space setting of red, you increase the red, and decrease the blue. If that doesn't help, you would need to increase the general "color" setting.
post #822 of 1433 Old 10-08-2008, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I like the contrast on a professionally calibrated display, but do not like the color temp. I have not had my set calibrated professionally, but have done two things to determine this.

First, I looked at several displays at several BB's that showed how a calibrated display compared to a non calibrated. In every instance, the contrast was great, but the picture was way too warm for my taste. Now, I realize BB is not the best source for a Professional Calibration, and if I were to have it done, I would not get it done by them, but I have to assume they got it at least close to D65, etc.

My second source has been the settings given by people, such as Zerog, in this thread, who have used calibration tools to get very close to what a professional would do. While every TV is different, I cannot imagine that their settings would look dramatically different on their set than on mine. I never like the look of their settings though. Again, too much yellow/warmth.

And finally, it has been stated by other professional calibrators and reviewers that Movie Mode with Warm2 brings you the closest possible to D65 on this set. On my set, it look horrendous.

Now, I realize and respect that you do not want to give out your calibrated settings to the group, but if you would like to give them to me, and have me try them out to see if I may be all wet, then I would be happy to do so. Again, I realize they will look slightly different on your set as opposed to mine, but the difference should not be all that dramatic.

I wouldn't trust what you saw at Best Buy. Using other peoples' settings makes no sense. Warm2 does NOT necessarily put you closest to 6500k. Jeff Meier had to use Warm1 on mine (and he has used Warm2 on other 6/7 series sets). It varies. I don't think you have ever seen a set properly adjusted to 6500k, and sharing my settings with you likely will not get you there, either.

I'm not telling you what to do, I just think saying you don't like D65 when you likely have never seen it is a bit odd.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #823 of 1433 Old 10-08-2008, 08:20 AM

so which is the best calibration disc ?

(im multi format)
post #824 of 1433 Old 10-08-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakimotoRift View Post

CIE Graph HD REC.709

Gamma Graph @ 2.22

RGB Levels

D65 Balance

Luminance Graph

are your settings posted anywhere?
post #825 of 1433 Old 10-08-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlp336 View Post

so which is the best calibration disc ?

(im multi format)

HD DVD DVE (not the 'Basics' version). It's a combo disk and includes the original DVD DVE on the other side for DVD players.

post #826 of 1433 Old 10-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wouldn't trust what you saw at Best Buy. Using other peoples' settings makes no sense. Warm2 does NOT necessarily put you closest to 6500k. Jeff Meier had to use Warm1 on mine (and he has used Warm2 on other 6/7 series sets). It varies. I don't think you have ever seen a set properly adjusted to 6500k, and sharing my settings with you likely will not get you there, either.

I'm not telling you what to do, I just think saying you don't like D65 when you likely have never seen it is a bit odd.

Exactly, my 750 was closer to D65 in Warm-1. Even though I could calibrate it to D65 using Warm-2 either way, it was closer to D65 by default to Warm-1
post #827 of 1433 Old 10-08-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:

hd dvd dve (not the 'basics' version). It's a combo disk and includes the original dvd dve on the other side for dvd players.

on the way !!
post #828 of 1433 Old 10-08-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, studdad, color temp is only half the calibration story.

post #829 of 1433 Old 10-08-2008, 06:03 PM

I just updated my firmware to 2002. Can someone please give the link to the Calibration settings for the 46" 750. I havent calibrated my tv yet. Thanks
post #830 of 1433 Old 10-08-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Not sure on the sounds, as I use an AVR. But in regards to settings, you can try mine on the previous page of this thread. To eliminate any additional processing, I would turn Dynamic Contrast off, unless you want to try it with it on. I would also try it with AMP on Low and AMP on Off, and see which works better for you. If your blacks crush a bit, but you like Dynamic Contrast, then try turning black level off. If you don't like Dynamic Contrast and have it set to off, but still are getting some crush, then again, turn black level off.

i tried yours out. do you use it for games? because it made my games look a little bland. i put it back to what i had (pretty much standard, but around 57 brightness, and minor tweaks), and the games just seem to be more 'alive'.
post #831 of 1433 Old 10-08-2008, 06:32 PM

Nah! Don't do it. I was able to play with the TV some more tonight after upgrading to 2002 late last night and not happy. The colors ARE more vibrant, but when changing the country information, it still showed Canadian weather. Also, I couldn't access the additional content and got a black screen. Definately not ready for primetime. Someone goofed over there at Samsung.

Oh well.... I reverted back to 1009.1
post #832 of 1433 Old 10-08-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, studdad, color temp is only half the calibration story.

Yes, I understand that, and I know Best Buy calibrations are not the best. And to tell you the truth, Movie Mode, even with a Normal color temp is too yellow for me. But hey, I may still consider giving it a try. Why do you say the NON Basics HD DVE is the best? Does that even come in a BD version?

post #833 of 1433 Old 10-08-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobeshow View Post

i tried yours out. do you use it for games? because it made my games look a little bland. i put it back to what i had (pretty much standard, but around 57 brightness, and minor tweaks), and the games just seem to be more 'alive'.

Yeah, I use it for games and find it good, but everyone likes something different.

post #834 of 1433 Old 10-08-2008, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

No, it doesn't come in a BD version. It has alot more useful patterns, particularly reverse color ramp patterns that you can use to watch for color clipping so that you can be sure you don't have contrast set too high. The BD Basics disc does not include these patterns, and I find that baffling.

post #835 of 1433 Old 10-09-2008, 06:31 AM

??
post #836 of 1433 Old 10-09-2008, 06:54 AM

Well set up my LN46A750 lastnight with zerog6 setting, and I hope I got the right ones with all the changes he made, LOL. All in all it looks great. Want to say thanks to all you guys and gals that have posted info on setting up this TV.

Thanks....
post #837 of 1433 Old 10-09-2008, 06:55 AM

my HDDVD DVE comes in today. the wife will be out tonight.

im going to attempt to calibrate the 2002. FW on my 750. ill be using the X-rite OptixXR pro.. anyone be on aim to help out ? 6pm eastern
post #838 of 1433 Old 10-09-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlp336 View Post

my HDDVD DVE comes in today. the wife will be out tonight.

im going to attempt to calibrate the 2002. FW on my 750. ill be using the X-rite OptixXR pro.. anyone be on aim to help out ? 6pm eastern

I wouldn't be of much help but good luck, I upgraded to 2002 and am liking it except for the (temporary?) loss of the built in art gallery. Looking forward to your calibration results. What original firmware and panel revision did you have?
post #839 of 1433 Old 10-09-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero hd View Post

i wouldn't be of much help but good luck, i upgraded to 2002 and am liking it except for the (temporary?) loss of the built in art gallery. Looking forward to your calibration results. What original firmware and panel revision did you have?

post #840 of 1433 Old 10-09-2008, 03:01 PM

I too upgraded to the latest firmware last night (2002 i believe) and had the same problem as another member on this site - the Content screen goes blank! So i reverted back to 1009.1 - perfect. Hey Samsung - do you believe in testing before releasing firmware that could hose someone's shiny new TV? F##king idiots.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page