post #1081 of 1433 Old 01-01-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB73 View Post

I bought my 750 about 2 weeks ago and love it.After reading some of the posts on calibration i was wondering how would you go about calibrating the tv for just general everyday use(cable box hooked up through HDMI) or can you only calibrate for DVD,Blu-Ray use.Thanks.

As mentioned, you can calibrate for each source if you want. I use the same calibration for every source. With calibration, all you really are doing is changing the settings to your liking. Yes, there is a standard for calibration, but not all people like that standard. I would suggest trying some of the different settings in this thread, find the one that you like the most, then tweak to your liking. Remember, some people like Movie Mode, which is closest to a professional calibration. And in fact, many people have calibrated their sets nearly perfect to that standard (D65). I find that standard to be to warm for my tastes. My settings start with the Standard Mode, and then go from there. I would try some settings with the Movie Mode setting as the base, and then try some with the Standard Mode as the base, and see what you like best. Then like I said, tweak from there.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1433 Old 01-01-2009, 04:11 PM

The guy I spoke to at bb said that if the tv is not properly calibrated by a professional, it could cut the life of the set in half...is this true or was he pushing his services??

Thanks!
post #1083 of 1433 Old 01-01-2009, 04:48 PM

I just got my LN52A750 yesterday and can't get enough of it. It has the 1012.2 FW.
post #1084 of 1433 Old 01-01-2009, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacosdad View Post

The guy I spoke to at bb said that if the tv is not properly calibrated by a professional, it could cut the life of the set in half...is this true or was he pushing his services??

Thanks!

He's pushing his services.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #1085 of 1433 Old 01-01-2009, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by govtphish View Post

I just got my LN52A750 yesterday and can't get enough of it. It has the 1012.2 FW.

Congrats.

post #1086 of 1433 Old 01-01-2009, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

I would agree with Sharkcohen, just pushing his services. But I would recommend using some of the settings in this forum as a base, and then tweaking from there, especially if you are a newbie to LCD tvs.

post #1087 of 1433 Old 01-02-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

I would agree with Sharkcohen, just pushing his services. But I would recommend using some of the settings in this forum as a base, and then tweaking from there, especially if you are a newbie to LCD tvs.

Thanks sharkcohen and studdad....I figured that was the case. I am new to LCD tvs and will spend a few hours this morning getting some calibrations to test my set with.

Thanks again!

Jesse
post #1088 of 1433 Old 01-02-2009, 08:24 AM

I am new to LCD TV also, and was wondering if having the contrast set too high will shorten the lifespan of the TV, I know it does on RP TV's...
post #1089 of 1433 Old 01-02-2009, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamski View Post

I am new to LCD TV also, and was wondering if having the contrast set too high will shorten the lifespan of the TV, I know it does on RP TV's...

No.

post #1090 of 1433 Old 01-02-2009, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj View Post

This is what's listed at the Samsung site reference the firmware:
build date : 2008-10-21 LCD TV LN 750 series firmware

* This firmware is for only U.S.A.

* This firmware will correct the following phenomenons some units may experience.
-. For prevention : The TV will turn on and off continuously
-. Flickering picture when connected through component source
-. Subwoofer balance Error
-. Energy Saving Auto setting Error

* Add Film mode option off / Auto -> off / Auto 1 / Auto 2

* The firmware will be updated to the following version.
-. LN**A750R1F : 1012.2

Unless your experiencing any of the issues addressed above I would leave the firmware as is. My 46"750 is version SS02, Manufactured Aug 2008 with firmware 1009.1 and it works great.

Actually it is my brother inlaw that has the 750 and I was at his house just trying to help him out. He used the 1009.1 settings on here and he wasnt happy, so before I left I reset his tv.
I bought the 550 and after seeing his was tempted to return mine to upgrade but I think I would rather upgrade my projector.

but again thanks, I told him to do the right thing and getting it properly calibrated. It shouldnt get any better than that...
post #1091 of 1433 Old 01-02-2009, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks!

I never speak to the ppl at bb, If I do its only for a quick laugh.

I'm sure they have some qualified ppl but not the ones I have spoken to.(Contrast wise)Asfar as it cutting the lifespan, I've heard it before and it makes sense but cannot say forsure. But because it was not calibrated, I would say untrue. Just turn down the contrast some if your unsure or use some of the settings on here....
post #1092 of 1433 Old 01-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Please I hope someone can answer this.

I went in to the Service Menu the other day on my A750, I didn't change anything but entering the menu reverted everything back in my user picture and sound menu to what looks to be the factory settings. I'm just wanting to know is by any chance did that ruin any hidden settings that Samsung might have set, or should I be ok. In my mind it's bugging the heck out of me that the picture quality maybe now isn't as good as it was prior to going in to the service menu.
post #1093 of 1433 Old 01-03-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline View Post

Please I hope someone can answer this.

I went in to the Service Menu the other day on my A750, I didn't change anything but entering the menu reverted everything back in my user picture and sound menu to what looks to be the factory settings. I'm just wanting to know is by any chance did that ruin any hidden settings that Samsung might have set, or should I be ok. In my mind it's bugging the heck out of me that the picture quality maybe now isn't as good as it was prior to going in to the service menu.

As long as you didn't change anything, you are fine. I have gone into the service menu many times, and have made changes. When I change things back, it goes back to normal. Any changes you are seeing would certainly be imagined. Anytime you go into the service menu it does reset all user settings to factory defaults. A pain in the butt, but no damage/changes to the tv.

post #1094 of 1433 Old 01-03-2009, 05:03 PM

Can someone give the best calibration advice for my 750 and PS3 mostly for gaming.... currently im using dynamic...

Backlight: 7
Contrast: 75
Color: 70
Sharpness: 70
Brightness: 35
120HZ : Off
DNIE : On
Black Level: Low
post #1095 of 1433 Old 01-03-2009, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa7970 View Post

Can someone give the best calibration advice for my 750 and PS3 mostly for gaming.... currently im using dynamic...

Backlight: 7
Contrast: 75
Color: 70
Sharpness: 70
Brightness: 35
120HZ : Off
DNIE : On
Black Level: Low

I just use my same settings for gaming. If you experience any lag while gaming, try turning off DNIe. It takes a good amount of processing and may slow things down a bit.

post #1096 of 1433 Old 01-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

actually I'd say even though it's mainly him pushing services the little nugget of truth is in the fact that w/ certain screens like plasma, people can do damage if they turn the brightness all the way up for prolonged periods.

but yeah, either way, still pushing services....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD is Blu View Post

Okay, I have read this thread since a long time. Finally decided to register, and post.. =P

I am on Firmware 1008, and not planning to update. I've been using Zerog's calibration for Blu-ray, and any HD video.

Now I see a lot of people asking best settings for video games. I have both PS3, and 360. Let me tell you this.. it's BEST to use default colors for games. Zerog's settings are GREAT for movies, but they are not meant for games.

After testing on DOZENS of games (all types of environment - jungle, deserts, city..etc), I have clearly noticed that his brown and green colors are too light for games. So the person who's asking about SOCOM (ps3), there's your answer. That game is heavy with brown colors, and there are lots more who do the same. Keep your colors on default.

As for other stuff.. I'll keep this short:

Backlight - 4
Contrast - 95 (or go up to 100)

^ That combo gives the best black levels. If you find it a bit dark, put backlight on 5.. but don't go higher. That will ruin your colors.

Brightness - 43
Sharpness - 32 (don't go higher than 35, it makes the jaggies look worse. AND anything below 30 hides the details on textures. Trust me, I tested a lot.)

Dynamic Contrast - Medium (stay away from High)
Black Adjust - OFF
Color Tone - Normal

Everything else is default.

Do NOT use "Game" mode. It sucks, trust me.

... and keep HDMI Black levels to "low". Let the HDTV handle those colors. Keep PS3 on RGB "Limited", and 360 on "standard" reference level. Anything higher ruins everything.

So there it is.. been using these settings since a while for PS3/360 games. They're PERFECT for me. Whenever I want to watch Blu-ray on PS3, I just switch to "Movie" mode with Zerog's calibration. Keep your games on "standard" mode, and stay away from that washed out mess called "game" mode. They have no idea how games are meant to be played.

Hope this helps. Peace.

True that on game-mode. The reason it's so crappy is they have crappy pre-set settings w/ sharpness up to like 80 or something and the most basic settings are uncontrollable. It's simply retarded on samsung's part.

I have been using Zerog's movie settings on games for a couple of months and while not bothered, I have been wondering if I should make changes. I think i'll check out your settings recommends

I'll mess around w/ Motorstorm pacific rift, simply a beautiful game

just out of curiosity for almost all settings people always recommend turning off the xvYCC extended colorspace? I thought this was an enhancing feature for HDMI 1.3?
post #1097 of 1433 Old 01-03-2009, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoglog View Post

actually I'd say even though it's mainly him pushing services the little nugget of truth is in the fact that w/ certain screens like plasma, people can do damage if they turn the brightness all the way up for prolonged periods.

but yeah, either way, still pushing services....

I'm was commenting in the context of LCDs, and in particular, the 750. We are in the LCD forum, and a 750 thread..

post #1098 of 1433 Old 01-03-2009, 11:34 PM

Just curious, where does everyone keep their energy savings setting at : low, med, high or auto ?
post #1099 of 1433 Old 01-04-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby canadian View Post

Just curious, where does everyone keep their energy savings setting at : low, med, high or auto ?

Off

post #1100 of 1433 Old 01-04-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby canadian View Post

Auto.

post #1101 of 1433 Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 PM

how do i know if im experiencing lag? what do i look for
post #1102 of 1433 Old 01-04-2009, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa7970 View Post

how do i know if im experiencing lag? what do i look for

If you need to ask that, you don't have a problem.

post #1103 of 1433 Old 01-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm was commenting in the context of LCDs, and in particular, the 750. We are in the LCD forum, and a 750 thread..

well we have had some LCDs at work that have burn-in strangely
post #1104 of 1433 Old 01-04-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my 750..
When watching TV what are the best settings...? I watch HD moives and sports (NFL today).
Should I turn on 120 for the games in HD and turn it off for movies?
When watching games - keep the movie mode?
Thanks
post #1105 of 1433 Old 01-04-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post

Alright, I think I'm finally done. I've tried for quite a while, but it's not going to get any better than what I've done now from my experience.

The grayscale was already as good as it can get, so that was pretty much unchanged. The same goes for the contrast ratio.

I was able to get better color accuracy in the end. Previously I had good dE values for the colors, but the x/y values were further off than what I wanted. I found that by raising the general color setting even more and then compensating by lowering the intensity of each color in the color space menu, I was able to get better accuracy in the x/y values. Which in turn gave me even better dE values. Green though is still a color that's simply under saturated, there's nothing you can do about it. None the less, it's still pretty close to being where it needs to be. And if you look at the file, you can see that every other color if pretty much perfect.

I'm very happy with everything now. So I think this was my last calibration for a while. Special thanks to ra004e for letting me borrow his eye-one sensor so I can do the calibrations and post the results, it's very much appreciated.

For those who want the white balance settings for the user menu. They really haven't changed much at all from my previous Warm-1 settings. So you'll be fine using the previous White Balance settings I posted combined with the rest of these settings I have now. I'll post them together below so you won't have to keep searching for them.

The ColorHFCR file is attached

Here they are:

FW:1007

Movie Mode: Warm-1

Contrast Ratio: 3,110:1

White Balance
If adjusting through User Menu
Offset
R: 28
G: 25
B: 21
Gain
R: 25
G: 25
B: 29

If adjusting through Service Menu - "WB Movie" Settings
R_Gain = 52
B_Gain = -89
R_Offset = 0
B_Offset = 8
Gamma = M2

(SM-WB Movie/User Menu) Picture Settings
Backlight = 3
Contrast = 100
Brightness = 43
Color = 50
Sharpness = 10
Tint = 50/50
Gamma = 0 , If you already adjusted Gamma through the Service Menu (Expert Settings)
Gamma = -1, If adjusting Gamma through User Menu only

Color Space
Red
R = 30
G = 0
B = 1
Green
R = 26
G = 46
B = 0
Blue
R = 9
G = 0
B = 41
Cyan
R = 30
G = 47
B = 56
Magenta
R = 38
G = 0
B = 58
Yellow
R = 60
G = 48
B = 0

Ok, I am not going to pretend here and throw out a bunch of jargon just to impress; I'm a doctor who spends more time with "a knife," not with a calibration "wand."

With that said, I just bought the 750 and have been following these threads during what down time I have. Forget about perfect (ok, as a doc, I know that being "almost right" isn't good enough), but if my viewing is 70% HD cable and 30% DVD movie watching via my upconvert, are you confident that your settings will suffice for these needs?

Thank you for all your efforts on behalf of us that are a bit challenged. I actually know enough to be dangerous and my current Samsung products have performed beautifully after my keen adjustments. However, the 750 affords me the chance to really tune in on the best possible picture and I value your input.

Thank you...DocSmall
post #1106 of 1433 Old 01-04-2009, 07:07 PM

When I first got my LN46A750, I initally used CNET's settings and I wasn't very satisfied. I recently switched to zerog6's settings and what a difference. My TV really came to life. His settings are amazing.
post #1107 of 1433 Old 01-06-2009, 09:52 AM

Anyone in Ontario get their 750 pro-calibrated? I am looking for someone reliable to calibrate my 52A750 in the Hamilton/Toronto area, thanks!
post #1108 of 1433 Old 01-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10of14 View Post

Ok, I am not going to pretend here and throw out a bunch of jargon just to impress; I'm a doctor who spends more time with "a knife," not with a calibration "wand."

With that said, I just bought the 750 and have been following these threads during what down time I have. Forget about perfect (ok, as a doc, I know that being "almost right" isn't good enough), but if my viewing is 70% HD cable and 30% DVD movie watching via my upconvert, are you confident that your settings will suffice for these needs?

Thank you for all your efforts on behalf of us that are a bit challenged. I actually know enough to be dangerous and my current Samsung products have performed beautifully after my keen adjustments. However, the 750 affords me the chance to really tune in on the best possible picture and I value your input.

Thank you...DocSmall

No matter whose settings you use, they're not going to be as good as you can get. Every TV and every source is different. If you want to get the picture as accurate as possible you have to do a calibration on your specific TV. Perhaps you get lucky and my settings or someone else's are close enough to the same calibration as your TV, but it's highly unlikely. Any settings you try are to be used simply as a base or guide and then further tweaked for your specifics.
post #1109 of 1433 Old 01-06-2009, 06:22 PM

Has anyone else noticed that while this set has plasma-like blacks, it comes at the expense of shadow detail? For example, in Iron Man or the Dark Knight, dark suits etc appear as solid black with no discernible details. In the courtroom scene near the beginning of the Dark Knight, Rachel's suit is pure black and blends seamlessly with the bottom black letterbox bar.
post #1110 of 1433 Old 01-06-2009, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaize123453 View Post

Has anyone else noticed that while this set has plasma-like blacks, it comes at the expense of shadow detail? For example, in Iron Man or the Dark Knight, dark suits etc appear as solid black with no discernible details. In the courtroom scene near the beginning of the Dark Knight, Rachel's suit is pure black and blends seamlessly with the bottom black letterbox bar.

you will get more shadow detail with dynamic contrast off, the down side is if you have any flashlight or clouding ou will see it more.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page