Official LNxxA750 Calibration/Settings Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2009, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I heard the swiffer duster works well for dusting the tv. Grease marks are still hard to remove without scratching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_D_STeve View Post

Say, does it matter how many hours are on a LCD prior to calibration?

Go ahead and calibrate it to your satisfaction once you receive it. However, over the next 100-200 hours the pixels will "settle down" a bit, and the picture tends to darken slightly, so you may have to re-calibrate a small amount.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
Old 01-19-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Go ahead and calibrate it to your satisfaction once you receive it. However, over the next 100-200 hours the pixels will "settle down" a bit, and the picture tends to darken slightly, so you may have to re-calibrate a small amount.

Now I'm thinking that in the past Samsung models, the different panel types, like SQ01, SS02, etc. within that particular model, one would find a trend that indicates that each panel version would generally require different settings. I know each TV should be calibrated on its own for best results.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I don't think there is any validity to the pixels breaking in or settling down, but I imagine the CCFL backlight could change a bit after the first hours of use.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
How can someone check the hours on the TV? I remember seeing a tech do this, to verify it was used as " Little " as the customer said it was.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:26 AM

hey guys!!!
i have a calibration DVD that i had for my old TV. this DVD is pre blu-ray.. it worked good on my other TV (50" SAMMY dlp) do you think it will work on my 52" 750?? the name of the dvd is AVIA.. do you think this will work?? or should i just stick with the setting i got of this thread?? thanks for your help..
BP
Old 01-20-2009, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Yeah, I know the Dish DVRs are pretty darn good. I am contemplating a switch if things don't get resolved soon. My only issue with Dish is they are missing a few HD channels that I watch. In addition, many say the PQ is slightly less than D*, but others say it is equal. I would need to see it to compare.

Studdad, we talked before about this directv thing and on my side it seems to be getting worse. Im in the same boat as you with FIOS, I live in the middle of nowhere so I cant see FIOS comming around anytime soon. Can anyone verify that dish network is just as good in PQ? I was thinking about giving them a try also.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrold14 View Post

Studdad, we talked before about this directv thing and on my side it seems to be getting worse. Im in the same boat as you with FIOS, I live in the middle of nowhere so I cant see FIOS comming around anytime soon. Can anyone verify that dish network is just as good in PQ? I was thinking about giving them a try also.

Funny thing, the last couple of days my issues with D* have not been as bad. Maybe all this will end after they quit messing around with moving things on transponders, particularly with all the local markets they have been adding lately. I am hoping that is the case and will give them a little more time, but if not, then I will be looking seriously at Dish.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
Old 01-20-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Dish kicks ass.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

dish kicks ass.

+1
Old 01-20-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Dish kicks ass.

come on Sharkcohen, you have to give us more then that How does the PQ compare is all i care about
Old 01-20-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I cannot compare, I have only had Dish. But I like Dish alot.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Dish kicks ass.

Dish looks great on my 46A750. I have received many nice compliments on its PQ from friends.

Samsung 46A750, Panasonic BD35, Dish 722
Old 01-20-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjfoien View Post

Dish looks great on my 46A750. I have received many nice compliments on its PQ from friends.

You guys are killing me im really thinking of switching. For those with dish I wanted to know if you have to have a DRV in order to get VOD like directv or can you get VOD with any STB?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:

On the right hand side of the tv you will see some information on a sticker. The Version is listed. It may say SQ01, SS01, SS02, SS03, etc. SQ01 is always the first release with any samsung tv, followed by the SS ones. In the past, samsung had issues with the SS panels. However, it does not seem to be the case with these tvs. By issues, I mean the PQ was not as good as the SQ01 panels. So whatever you have, don't worry about it, as things look good with all panels.

In regards to fw, click menu, scroll down and click setup, scroll down and put the cursor over sw update, but do not click on it. Instead, click on info. Your fw will show at the bottom after "Module" but before "Date". You should see a number like 1004, 1007, 1008, 1009.1, 1010.1, 1012.1, etc. If your tv is working fine, no need to update.

Edit: HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT CHRISTMAS (OR WHATEVER YOU MAY CELEBRATE). AND YOU ALL GET LOTS OF ELECTRONIC GOODIES!!!!

I did not know this about the panels. I purchased two 650's prior to my 750 and both were different. One was a July build date and PQ was brighter and less pixelated. However it suffered from flashlight in the top right corner and some clouding on the right side. It wasn't that obvious unless you look for it. The other was an Oct build and had a dimmer screen but had no visible clouding but suffered pixelation and was more blurry. My 750 is brighter than both 650s and also sharper. But it has flashlight clouding on both top corners. But since the PQ is awesome on it, I kept it. I just looked it has SQ01. That explains it.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:09 PM

I just pick up my LN46a750 from brandsmart usa. The price was advertised at 1689.00 but the salesman sold it to me for 1560.00 plus a two year warranty for $50.00 brand new. I also got a HDMi cord and playstation 3 bundle. Everything came under what circuit city was selling JUST the tv for which was 2,200.
Here are my settings for my 750 for just watching tv during the daytime ( not movies ).

MODE - standard
backlight = 5
contrast = 100
brightness = 46
sharpness = 3-50
color = 54
tint = G52/R48

DETAILED SETTINGS
black light - off
dynamic contrast - off
gamma = -1
color space
red = r 55, g 0, b 0
green = r 4, g 57, b 0
blue = r 5, g 0, b 56
yellow = r 56, g 52, b 0
cyan = r 3 , g 46 , b 47
magneta = r 44 , g 0 , b 48
flesh tone = 0
edge enhancement - on
xvycc - off
white balance
offset gain
r = 27 r = 18
g = 25 g = 25
b = 24 b = 29

PICTURE OPTIONS
color tone - normal
digital NIR - off
hdmi black level - normal
blue mode - off
120 hz - your choice , I prefer low. The blacks are really great with these settings , and the color seems to “POP” out of the tv screen.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:14 PM

I have been driving myself insane trying to figure out a reasonable calibration for Comcast DVR box non HD setting. Not going to get Dish right now so if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

My picture looks herky Jerky and grainy.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 PM

I'm finally getting my 52a750 on tuesday.. I ordered right before the new year when they had it on sale. Its been so popular that I'm just getting it now. I was wondering if I should get the avia II dvd.. would this improve the display a lot?? Do most of you guys run a program that checks for dead pixels?? I read about this awhile back when I was researching which tv to purchase. Anyone have a link to a program I could use for that???

Can't wait to get this tv... looks amazing
Old 01-22-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce600rr View Post

hey guys!!!
i have a calibration DVD that i had for my old TV. this DVD is pre blu-ray.. it worked good on my other TV (50" SAMMY dlp) do you think it will work on my 52" 750?? the name of the dvd is AVIA.. do you think this will work?? or should i just stick with the setting i got of this thread?? thanks for your help..
BP

anyone??
i am not for sure if it is Avia or AviaII.. i have had it for about 3 years. How long has AviaII been out?? also can i set different setting for each mode? (Game, Blu ray, DishHD, ect?) if possible, will it save the settings for each mode?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:

anyone??
i am not for sure if it is Avia or AviaII.. i have had it for about 3 years. How long has AviaII been out?? also can i set different setting for each mode? (Game, Blu ray, DishHD, ect?) if possible, will it save the settings for each mode?

Yes it should work for you. Not everyone has a blu-ray player and the latest calibration disk.

Samsung 46A750, Panasonic BD35, Dish 722
Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

anyone??

Each input, and each picture mode on each input (i.e. Dynamic, Standard, Movie) can save unique settings. Entertainment modes (Sports, Cinema, Game) are config presets that cannot be modified.

I just use one set of settings for all my sources, other than my laserdisc player, which requires different brightness and contrast settings because laserdisc IRE levels are different than contemporary devices.

Avia will get you into the ballpark.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Each input, and each picture mode on each input (i.e. Dynamic, Standard, Movie) can save unique settings. Entertainment modes (Sports, Cinema, Game) are config presets that cannot be modified.

I just use one set of settings for all my sources, other than my laserdisc player, which requires different brightness and contrast settings because laserdisc IRE levels are different than contemporary devices.

Avia will get you into the ballpark.

cool.. i will probably do the same (one setting for all sources) now when i switch source from say Blu ray to Satellite do i need to set them all with the settings i am going to use or is there somewhere i can set it and it will use them for all of the different sources??
Old 01-22-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

cool.. i will probably do the same (one setting for all sources) now when i switch source from say Blu ray to Satellite do i need to set them all with the settings i am going to use or is there somewhere i can set it and it will use them for all of the different sources??

That depends on how you hook things up. If you have all your sources switched to one input on the 750, you'll only need to enter the settings once for that input. If you use multiple inputs on the 750, you need to setup the settings for each input.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 PM

What setting do you use for who have DishHD... should I use the same setting I'm using for the PS3? Also, there is an option on the Dish receiver for the output resolution... should i change to 720p or leave it at 1080i?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Dish kicks ass.

No no, Directv kicks ass
Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 AM

i set mine to 1080i...
Old 01-28-2009, 06:23 PM

I'm up to page 6, just wondering if the settings by zerog6 on page to are still the latest to start with. My 750 arrives Friday and I plan on using these for my start up.

Also can some explain how to save the calibration once set?

I saw where some people where losing the settings after spending an hour setting them up.

I will be running an HDMI from the cable box to the TV, Blu-Ray will come when the Panny BD60 is out. For now just a regular Sony DVD player.

For the superbowl someone suggested Movie Mode with AMP on? Is that the consensus?

I found post 489 which I hope is the latest.

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."
Samual Adams 1722-1803 Founder of the American Revolution
Old 01-28-2009, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post

No no, Directv kicks ass

It does, I've seen it at my friend's house, DirecTV HD looks great.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssentiallyHD View Post

What setting do you use for who have DishHD... should I use the same setting I'm using for the PS3? Also, there is an option on the Dish receiver for the output resolution... should i change to 720p or leave it at 1080i?

Leave it at 1080i, set Film Mode on the 750 to Auto1.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:46 PM

I have PM'ed both GURU's ZeorG6 and our "brother from another matha" and Mr Kakimotorift (dude how about Mr K for us US of A guys) and caputured Zero K's Famous page 11 settings as well as Mr. K's post 488 in this thread

I combined them into a word doc which is attached.

They gave us "The Calibration Settings" of the Gods for our 750's, and saved us all a LOT of money.

Here ya go, and "tweak your settings" away as my wife sometimes says.......

They both assured me these are the latest.

attachment: Attachment 131657

Virus scanned and safe

PS- Mr K Sensai I vote for his new name, or Mr K for short

Samsung 750 TV settings.doc 33.5k . file

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."
Samual Adams 1722-1803 Founder of the American Revolution