Official LNxxA750 Calibration/Settings Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 1433 Old 06-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
zerog6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just did a entirely new calibration using Warm-1 instead of my previous calibration with Warm-2.

Here's a picture of my new color space:



I was able to fix the lack of green using Warm-1. The new dE for all the colors is fantastic, everything came in under 3.

However I still can't get the gamma/luminance curves like I want them. There's a very weird dip in the curves from 30-50 IRE, and I just can't get it as linear as I want. So i'm just thinking this is the spyder-2 probe that isn't good at it.

Here's the colorHCFR file so you guys can take a look at it:

 

Warm-1 Final.zip 5.4130859375k . file
zerog6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 1433 Old 06-19-2008, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skibum5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post

I just did a entirely new calibration using Warm-1 instead of my previous calibration with Warm-2.

Here's a picture of my new color space:



I was able to fix the lack of green using Warm-1. The new dE for all the colors is fantastic, everything came in under 3.

However I still can't get the gamma/luminance curves like I want them. There's a very weird dip in the curves from 30-50 IRE, and I just can't get it as linear as I want. So i'm just thinking this is the spyder-2 probe that isn't good at it.

Here's the colorHCFR file so you guys can take a look at it:


CIE chart looks great. And color balance looks really good too.
What do your saturation measurements look like?
CR is even worse though than before, in fact, it's even lower than I measured with my spyder2 on the suppodely lower CR 5271.... Even using a spyder2 it seems something probably is less than ideal there with your brightness, contrast, gamma settings. Although the spyder2 probably doesn't help.

It'll be interesting to post a 5271 done by spyder2 and then by my X94 when I get back and see just how different and in what ways. I'm expecting a big jump in CR, otherwise my set is bad.

Anyway, once I get back, if they can't fix the weird rendering artifacts on my 5271 maybe I'll have a 750 to play with.... I do wish they had just stuck with the same gloss coating and not gone to the new one, the new is not matte so it won't stop refelction like a SONY but it's not 71 glossy either, seems like a bad combo or neither here nor there, at least it's closer to the 71 than not though.
skibum5000 is offline  
post #183 of 1433 Old 06-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Member
 
cr0t3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Zero,

Are you going to post your settings from your newest calibration?

Thanks!
cr0t3x is offline  
post #184 of 1433 Old 06-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
zerog6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr0t3x View Post

Hey Zero,

Are you going to post your settings from your newest calibration?

Thanks!

It's not going to help, all the calibrations I did were in the service menu. If you want to go in there and plug-in my settings then let me know and i'll post them for you.

TO NOTE:

I'm going to be getting an i1 soon to try for a little bit. Thanks to ra004e, he's going to let me borrow his i1 so I can do the calibrations with it and share my results with everyone. So thanks to ra004e again for that.
zerog6 is offline  
post #185 of 1433 Old 06-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Member
 
geezuz183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,
I don't know what a chc file is.
I unzipped the attached files and only get chc files that won't open with any program I have.
i've been following everyones setting since the 71's. I was trying to get some new calibrations from everyone but, I have no idea how to open them.
Are the settings posted in these chc files?
Thanks.
geezuz183 is offline  
post #186 of 1433 Old 06-19-2008, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjgarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northwest Wisconsin
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post

It's not going to help, all the calibrations I did were in the service menu. If you want to go in there and plug-in my settings then let me know and i'll post them for you.

TO NOTE:

I'm going to be getting an i1 soon to try for a little bit. Thanks to ra004e, he's going to let me borrow his i1 so I can do the calibrations with it and share my results with everyone. So thanks to ra004e again for that.

Please do. I need to figure out how to get the red and green primaries spot-on like yours.

Also, if you don't mind, describe a little about how you do a calibration from the SM. Can you see the Rec709 DVD while in SM?
kjgarrison is offline  
post #187 of 1433 Old 06-19-2008, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjgarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northwest Wisconsin
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezuz183 View Post

Hey guys,
I don't know what a chc file is.
I unzipped the attached files and only get chc files that won't open with any program I have.
i've been following everyones setting since the 71's. I was trying to get some new calibrations from everyone but, I have no idea how to open them.
Are the settings posted in these chc files?
Thanks.


These are ColorHCFR files. You can download ColorHCFR, the software we do the calibrations with and view the files and all the details. It's free, although it's common practice for users to pay something to the guys that developed it. I don't think peeps that just want it to see these files would be expected to pay.
kjgarrison is offline  
post #188 of 1433 Old 06-19-2008, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjgarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northwest Wisconsin
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post

I just did a entirely new calibration using Warm-1 instead of my previous calibration with Warm-2.

Here's a picture of my new color space:

I was able to fix the lack of green using Warm-1. The new dE for all the colors is fantastic, everything came in under 3.

However I still can't get the gamma/luminance curves like I want them. There's a very weird dip in the curves from 30-50 IRE, and I just can't get it as linear as I want. So i'm just thinking this is the spyder-2 probe that isn't good at it.
Here's the colorHCFR file so you guys can take a look at it:

I think it's your probe too. I just hope that awesome CIE chart isn't probe artifact
kjgarrison is offline  
post #189 of 1433 Old 06-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Member
 
ms20003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauper View Post

has any one seen "Oceans 13"? I ask because after spending 400$ (yes you can all go have a nice row at my stupidity for spending that$) I had some real weird issues with the reds and oranges...I mean their faces and clothes were all messed up and it si SO hard to describe....kind of like I just couldnt calm them down they were so bright and the point of sparkling and a major....IT JUST OVERTOOK THE WHOLE PICTURE!!

I have also noticed some pixelation with the AMP on medium...with HD sources...

I also have some blooming like fireworks on the bottom of the screen...what is the deal?

I am so worried tht this set needs to go back....


Ocean's 13 on Blu-Ray is horrific. It is the disc and not the TV or player. Read the reviews on the disc. It in many cases looks worse than standard DVD. Not sure why but the blu-ray disc is horrible in many aspects and (colors, lighting, blacks).

1
ms20003 is offline  
post #190 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ready2Mosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central US
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks ra004e for sharing your probe so that most of us 750 owners can get the best picture out of these puppies.

Also thank you Zero for making my viewing pleasure even better.

Mosh~~
Ready2Mosh is offline  
post #191 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Newbie
 
rolfme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have just received my Samsung LN40A750. After I set the TV up I connected to my network and put the DLNA software on my PC. Works!
When I tried to connect to my home server Thecus 5200PRO with ushare module I was also able to connect. But movies don't play. Indication: Wrong file format. These are the same files just the route to them is different.
Any clues????

Thanks

RM
rolfme is offline  
post #192 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Member
 
geezuz183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

These are ColorHCFR files. You can download ColorHCFR, the software we do the calibrations with and view the files and all the details. It's free, although it's common practice for users to pay something to the guys that developed it. I don't think peeps that just want it to see these files would be expected to pay.

Thanks kj.
So once I get these these files open, will they show the settings? For example; contrast 89
Brightness 44
Color 45 etc. Or will it just be the charts.
I remember the calibrations files you attached on the 71 thread being much easier to access.
Thanks though.
I will be trying them when I get home.
You guys are all very good at this calibration thing. Thanks again.
geezuz183 is offline  
post #193 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjgarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northwest Wisconsin
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfme View Post

Hi, I have just received my Samsung LN40A750. After I set the TV up I connected to my network and put the DLNA software on my PC. Works!
When I tried to connect to my home server Thecus 5200PRO with ushare module I was also able to connect. But movies don't play. Indication: Wrong file format. These are the same files just the route to them is different.
Any clues????

Thanks

RM

um calibration thread here

sorry
kjgarrison is offline  
post #194 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
zerog6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Please do. I need to figure out how to get the red and green primaries spot-on like yours.

Also, if you don't mind, describe a little about how you do a calibration from the SM. Can you see the Rec709 DVD while in SM?

It's not as big a deal as people make it out to be. There's an impression given that you're TV is going to spontaneously combust if you hit the wrong button. There's 90 billion options in the SM, out of those 90 billlion, there's only 1 option which can screw up your set, and on top of that, you have to confirm it twice, so even if you go in there by mistake, you can get out. Not to mention someone in the 650 thread already figure out how to fix it if you do hit that wrong button twice. So all in all, don't be scared, it's not that deep, lol.

Honestly, there's really no need to go into the SM to do a calibration. The SM provides really nothing extra from the user menu. The color space adjustments are identical in both the SM and the user menu. What you can do in the user menu, is fine tune the WB, Contrast, and Brightness because since you have a much bigger range in values, you can make finer adjustments. But that's all the SM is good for on this set. The user menu settings are already pretty good, the difference would be something like getting a dE of less than 1, as opposed to a dE of less than 3. So it's not that big a deal.

Yes you can see the calibration DVD, and actually, it's much more convenient than the user menu. The SM menus are smaller, so you can pretty much see the whole screen for the patterns. The sub-menu you're in doesn't revert back to the main menu after a certain amount of time like the user menu does. So you can leave it there forever and it won't change

These are my new settings.

Warm-1
Backlight - 4
Contrast - 87
Brightness - 44
Color - 45
Tint 50/50

SM Gamma = M4
User Gamma = -1

SM WB - I'll get these in a bit, i'm watching the soccer match right now, lol

Color Space

Red
R - 46
G - 0
B - 6
Green
R - 38
G - 47
B - 0
Blue
R - 2
G - 8
B - 60
Cyan
R - 35
G - 53
B - 50
Magenta
R - 42
G - 10
B - 62
Yellow
R - 45
G - 45
B - 0
zerog6 is offline  
post #195 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjgarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northwest Wisconsin
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezuz183 View Post

Thanks kj.
So once I get these these files open, will they show the settings? For example; contrast 89
Brightness 44
Color 45 etc. Or will it just be the charts.
I remember the calibrations files you attached on the 71 thread being much easier to access.
Thanks though.
I will be trying them when I get home.
You guys are all very good at this calibration thing. Thanks again.

Yes, I put the settings in the comments section of the data. I am getting lazy. Previously I would post the ColorHCFR file for those that have the program, then I would create jpg files with Snagit for each of the more important screens for people that don't have it.

It's kind of a pia to do the images, and since ColorHCFR is free ...
kjgarrison is offline  
post #196 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjgarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northwest Wisconsin
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post

It's not as big a deal as people make it out to be. There's an impression given that you're TV is going to spontaneously combust if you hit the wrong button. There's 90 billion options in the SM, out of those 90 billlion, there's only 1 option which can screw up your set, and on top of that, you have to confirm it twice, so even if you go in there by mistake, you can get out. Not to mention someone in the 650 thread already figure out how to fix it if you do hit that wrong button twice. So all in all, don't be scared, it's not that deep, lol.

Honestly, there's really no need to go into the SM to do a calibration. The SM provides really nothing extra from the user menu. The color space adjustments are identical in both the SM and the user menu. What you can do in the user menu, is fine tune the WB, Contrast, and Brightness because since you have a much bigger range in values, you can make finer adjustments. But that's all the SM is good for on this set. The user menu settings are already pretty good, the difference would be something like getting a dE of less than 1, as opposed to a dE of less than 3. So it's not that big a deal.

These are my new settings.

Warm-1
Backlight - 4
Contrast - 87
Brightness - 44
Color - 45
Tint 50/50

SM Gamma = M4
User Gamma = -1

SM WB - I'll get these in a bit, i'm watching the soccer match right now, lol

Color Space

Red
R - 46
G - 0
B - 6
Green
R - 38
G - 47
B - 0
Blue
R - 2
G - 8
B - 60
Cyan
R - 35
G - 53
B - 50
Magenta
R - 42
G - 10
B - 62
Yellow
R - 45
G - 45
B - 0

Hmmm, so the only thing you adjust in SM is gamma and grayscale? Your near perfect primary colors are not related to any settings in SM?

I peeked in SM today for the first time, and it is scary there. First thing I did was to look at Options. Reset was highlighted and I wanted to go back to the main menu, so I hit "left", and I reset all my settings!

Would you please tell me exactly what you adjust in the SM? Exactly, please.

There is a section called "Expert (something)" I forget what the 'something' is, but it has to do with adjustments or calibration. Have you gone there?

Does anybody know more about getting around in SM. What to mess with and what not to?

I even have the Service Manual, and it isn't all that helpful for what I want to do. Oh, if I have a device to input certain patterns, it tells me what device to use, what patterns to input, and basically how to set everything from contrast to color. Maybe I need to see what one of these 'devices' is all about.
kjgarrison is offline  
post #197 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wtfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Hmmm, so the only thing you adjust in SM is gamma and grayscale? Your near perfect primary colors are not related to any settings in SM?

I peeked in SM today for the first time, and it is scary there. First thing I did was to look at Options. Reset was highlighted and I wanted to go back to the main menu, so I hit "left", and I reset all my settings!

Would you please tell me exactly what you adjust in the SM? Exactly, please.

There is a section called "Expert (something)" I forget what the 'something' is, but it has to do with adjustments or calibration. Have you gone there?

Does anybody know more about getting around in SM. What to mess with and what not to?

I even have the Service Manual, and it isn't all that helpful for what I want to do. Oh, if I have a device to input certain patterns, it tells me what device to use, what patterns to input, and basically how to set everything from contrast to color. Maybe I need to see what one of these 'devices' is all about.


Here is a zip file containing pictures of all the sub-menus in the service menu for the a650 1003.G firmware.
http://rapidshare.com/files/10656850...003_G.zip.html
It should be mostly the same for the a750.
wtfer is offline  
post #198 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Member
 
geezuz183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gotcha.
Thanks.
Looking forward to testing them on my set. One more question...do you only have one chc file setting? Are there a couple? I don't want to miss it if there's different ones.
Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Yes, I put the settings in the comments section of the data. I am getting lazy. Previously I would post the ColorHCFR file for those that have the program, then I would create jpg files with Snagit for each of the more important screens for people that don't have it.

It's kind of a pia to do the images, and since ColorHCFR is free ...

geezuz183 is offline  
post #199 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
zerog6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Hmmm, so the only thing you adjust in SM is gamma and grayscale? Your near perfect primary colors are not related to any settings in SM?

I peeked in SM today for the first time, and it is scary there. First thing I did was to look at Options. Reset was highlighted and I wanted to go back to the main menu, so I hit "left", and I reset all my settings!

Would you please tell me exactly what you adjust in the SM? Exactly, please.

There is a section called "Expert (something)" I forget what the 'something' is, but it has to do with adjustments or calibration. Have you gone there?

Does anybody know more about getting around in SM. What to mess with and what not to?

I even have the Service Manual, and it isn't all that helpful for what I want to do. Oh, if I have a device to input certain patterns, it tells me what device to use, what patterns to input, and basically how to set everything from contrast to color. Maybe I need to see what one of these 'devices' is all about.

I'm gonna write up how how it works now, It's just gonna take me a while to write everything. So check back in a little while
zerog6 is offline  
post #200 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjgarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northwest Wisconsin
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post

I'm gonna write up how how it works now, It's just gonna take me a while to write everything. So check back in a little while

Thanks man. You're a good guy.
kjgarrison is offline  
post #201 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjgarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northwest Wisconsin
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezuz183 View Post

Gotcha.
Thanks.
Looking forward to testing them on my set. One more question...do you only have one chc file setting? Are there a couple? I don't want to miss it if there's different ones.
Thanks again.

I personally don't post a file unless I think there is something new and improved in the settings/calibration.

My current "best" is called Run5. post 163 in this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post14113281

btw, zerog6's calibration, at least the CIE chart part, looks better than mine, but there are some questions about his colorimeter.
kjgarrison is offline  
post #202 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjgarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northwest Wisconsin
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

Here is a zip file containing pictures of all the sub-menus in the service menu for the a650 1003.G firmware.
http://rapidshare.com/files/10656850...003_G.zip.html
It should be mostly the same for the a750.

I can't unzip this file. Any ideas?
kjgarrison is offline  
post #203 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Member
 
geezuz183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

I personally don't post a file unless I think there is something new and improved in the settings/calibration.

My current "best" is called Run5. post 163 in this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post14113281

btw, zerog6's calibration, at least the CIE chart part, looks better than mine, but there are some questions about his colorimeter.

thanks.. i'm going to try both but, doesn't zerog6 settings go into the service menu?
I'm a bit nervous about going in there.
i'll wait a bit on that one.
have you noticed the green tint in certain dark scenes? it's not as bad as the 71 but, it's there(factory setting)...woops.. just noticed you spoke on the green tint already.
geezuz183 is offline  
post #204 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Member
 
geezuz183's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey kj,
is it the warm1 right?
is it complete?
I'm only asking because it seems to be missing some of the options unless they are not changed from the factory settings. example; the color space only has "Red R49" and that's it. no setting for blue cyan etc. is the "grayscale" setting the same as "white balance" in the t.v menu?
Sorry for the newbie questions.
Thanks.
geezuz183 is offline  
post #205 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
zerog6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, here's everything, Read On I hope you have spare time, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Hmmm, so the only thing you adjust in SM is gamma and grayscale? Your near perfect primary colors are not related to any settings in SM?

Yup, the only thing you adjust in the SM is the grayscale and gamma/contrast/brightness, the primary colors are all adjusted with the user menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

I peeked in SM today for the first time, and it is scary there. First thing I did was to look at Options. Reset was highlighted and I wanted to go back to the main menu, so I hit "left", and I reset all my settings!

In the SM, Left and Right are essentially the same as hitting Enter, especially Right. Only Up and Down are the navigation buttons. If you want to go back, you have to hit the "return" button on the remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

There is a section called "Expert (something)" I forget what the 'something' is, but it has to do with adjustments or calibration. Have you gone there?

This was worded improperly I guess by samsung. All of the Expert Settings, are not really Expert settings at all. The Expert settings are actually the User Level settings. So you can change the User Level settings in the SM. The reason you want to change those in the SM instead of the User Menu, is because whenever you go into the SM for any reason, your User Level settings will not reset to default every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

I even have the Service Manual, and it isn't all that helpful for what I want to do. Oh, if I have a device to input certain patterns, it tells me what device to use, what patterns to input, and basically how to set everything from contrast to color. Maybe I need to see what one of these 'devices' is all about.

This is specifically the "don't touch" part. What they are talking about, are calibration patterns that need to be displayed at a certain time and the TV will automatically adjust to those patterns. This is something that is only done at the factory when the TV is setup for the very first time. If you hit enter in this part, the TV will automatically start looking for certain patterns to be displayed, and if they're not, the entire TV configuration will go out of whack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Would you please tell me exactly what you adjust in the SM? Exactly, please.

On to the hardcore stuff, put your gloves on.

Hit the "Mute-1-8-2-Power" and go into the Service Menu.

Before you make any adjustments, you need to make sure the HDMI Black level is set correctly. Since it's a User Level setting, whenever you go into the SM, it will reset to Normal, so you have to go in every time and make sure to set it to Low. You'll notice the difference in dullness of the PQ immediately. So here's how.

You need to go into the "Options" menu, and at the top right, there's an option called Expert Settings. You need to turn that "On", otherwise the Expert Settings will be grayed out and you won't be able to do anything. Now remember, the "Expert Settings" are simply the exact User Level settings you have, so don't let the "Expert" throw you off. You'll see what I mean once you go through it.

Once you do that. Go to the "Expert Others" menu, and you'll see the HDMI Black Level setting there. So just switch it to where you see the picture get better. Don't pay attention to whether it says Normal, or Low, there's a glitch which sometimes it reads the opposite of what it's actually set to. So pay attention to the screen and not what it says. I'm sure you know what the correct setting for HDMI Black Level is supposed to look like. So once you set that correctly then go back to the main menu.

Now, there's 2 main sub-menus you can use, "White Balance", and "WB Movie". But in actuality, the only one you really need, is "WB Movie". White Balance is the general white balance for the tv, which are applied to every tv mode you have. Which really isn't necessary, because not all modes use the same White Balance anyway. So don't bother with that.

The main sub-menu you're going to use is "WB Movie". Go in the there, and turn that on, and put the Mode on "Movie". If you put the Mode to "Calibration" it will lock out the regular user level menu and you won't be able to change anything from the regular user menu. So put the Mode in "Movie". Then you can change the Color Tone to whatever you want. I set mine at Warm-1. Now from here, You'll see the following stuff:

Sub_Bright & Sub_Contrast
Gains and Offsets for each different Mode you select
And the User Level Menu settings at the end.

3 points
1. Grayscale will only have Red and Blue adjustments, i'm sure you know why, but just in case, Green isn't touched when you're adjusting the grayscale anyways, so there's no need to have it.
2. You can adjust either of the two Contrast and Brightness settings. Even simultaneously if you want, the Sub_ settings allow more fine tuning.
3. Movie Gamma is not the User level Gamma. It is the SM Gamma. The User Level Gamma is in the "expert settings".

So that's where you're going to do all the calibration adjustments "except the color space".

Now, after you've done the calibrations there, you do the following:

You need to go through, and change all the settings in the Expert Menus to match what you changed in the WB Movie menu. There are 2 exceptions that you don't need to match though

1. Grayscale: The Expert Settings don't have the same grayscale. "The Expert Grayscale, aka User Level Grayscale, you "Do Not" touch, you leave those at the default 25 for everything"

2. Gamma: Kind of like grayscale, they don't have the same Gamma parameters, but you can change it to whatever you want, so you don't have to match them.

Now you can go ahead and start adjusting the color space. You can do 2 things.

1. Calibrate the color space in the regular user menu. However If you do it this way, whenever you want to go back into the SM, the color space settings will reset back to default.
2. Calibrate the color space in the SM. This way, the color space will not reset to default and will always be saved.

You can do #1, so I'll just show you how to do #2.

So after you matched the User Level Settings, then you go into the "Expert Color Space" and do the color space calibration there.

Then when you're done, do the following, which is gonna sound weird, lol. Go back into the WB Movie menu, and change any setting you want, and then put it back to where it was before. I know the reason for it, but I don't know how to explain it well, lol. Hopefully you'll find out why when you're doing your stuff in there. If not just let me know and i'll try to explain it.

Now you're almost done, Last thing you need to, is copy all the settings to every source you have. This is very easy, just hit the "source" button once on your remote, and it will automatically change. Then just go through each of them copying the settings. Remember about the HDMI Black Level, and at the end to do the weird thing I metioned, for every source!

2 points
1. Whatever source you have hooked up, make sure you turn it on and play something in the mean time.
2. I don't remember if this has to be done, but just in case. Check that you also don't have to copy the settings between a 720/1080 source. So for your cable or stb box, switch the channel to something in 720 and then 1080 to make sure everything matches.

That's all, you're done, now just turn the TV off, and turn it back on. Go through the menus, go through all your sources. Make sure everything is where it's supposed to be. AND ENJOY!!
zerog6 is offline  
post #206 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wtfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

I can't unzip this file. Any ideas?

Really?
It's 36MB & WinRAR should unpack it easily.

I checked & the link is still alive, just go through Rapidshare's ads & select the free download & wait the minute+ till the direct download link appears.
wtfer is offline  
post #207 of 1433 Old 06-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
zerog6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
kjgarrison:

Since you have the service manual, would you mind checking for me if it explains what the "7.5 IRE" settings in the SM are for? I've been curious about that for a while and haven't had any luck searching.
zerog6 is offline  
post #208 of 1433 Old 06-21-2008, 05:40 AM
Member
 
milescortez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have much experience with the DVE HD Basics calibration disc? I already have it so I'll play around with it a little but am I going to be better of going with Zerog's settings or someone else's settings in this thread. That might be a noob question--if so forgive me... Thanks.
milescortez is offline  
post #209 of 1433 Old 06-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
zerog6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by milescortez View Post

Does anyone have much experience with the DVE HD Basics calibration disc? I already have it so I'll play around with it a little but am I going to be better of going with Zerog's settings or someone else's settings in this thread. That might be a noob question--if so forgive me... Thanks.

You're probably going to have better results with your own calibration disc if you have it. Remember, every single tv, has slightly different calibrations. You can use someones settings and then make minor adjustments to them to fit your TV which is what people usually do.
zerog6 is offline  
post #210 of 1433 Old 06-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Member
 
milescortez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog6 View Post

You're probably going to have better results with your own calibration disc if you have it. Remember, every single tv, has slightly different calibrations. You can use someones settings and then make minor adjustments to them to fit your TV which is what people usually do.

Thanks....I think I'll calibrate by disc and then make some comparisons to your settings.

Any ideas which are the better Calibration Discs? I have the DVE HD Basics from JKP (Joe Kane Productions) any other recommendations?

Thanks again.
milescortez is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off