Vizio GV47L FHDTV10A Died last night, one month out of warranty!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-22-2008, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night while watching hi-def hockey my Vizo GV47L FHDTV10A died on me. Screen went dark grey, sort of black, I could tell the back light was working but it was totally unresponsive, had to pull the power cord to shut it down. Waited a few minutes then plugged it up. The Vizio emblem lights up, the unit "clicks" when I press power on and then all the lights on the buttons light up and then that's it. The LCD stays completely dead and nothing works, I can't switch sources, I get no sound, it won't even shut off without pulling the plug. It's 13 months old today so I'm one month out of the 1 year warranty. I've called support, gotten a case # and faxed them my receipt. I'm waiting for a response from them about warranty coverage but I'm not expecting them to cover it since it is out of warranty now. I thought if I could reliably determine what part has gone out that I might try replacing the part myself. I think the backlight and LCD are ok, it sounds to me like the main board might be bad. Anyone out there had any experience with replacing parts in one of these TV's? I bought the service/repair manual from justmanuals.com and have complete part numbers for the set. Advice? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-22-2008, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you use your credit card to purchase it? Some major credit cards would give you an extra 1 year extended warranty so if Vizio comes back with a no go, check your credit card to see if they can help you with it.

Perhaps it's better and probably cheaper to get a new one.

Go 24
post #3 of 14 Old 05-22-2008, 10:05 AM

If you bought it from Sam's Club, and Vizio won't cover you, you can take it back and get a full refund. I had a RCA RPTV that I had a little over a year. It died and they took it back with no questions asked. Then you can buy a Philips PFL47. It is an awesome TV that is almost as good as any top name brand. It is definitely better than the Vizio and should be a little cheaper than you paid. That is if you got it from Sam's.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 10:59 AM

My vizio 42" tv went out less then 2 months out of warranty and Vizio says I am out of luck! I am irate!! How can they do nothing. It is implied that my tv should last more then a year, what kind of product are they making!!!!
Let me know.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcerbelli View Post

My vizio 42" tv went out less then 2 months out of warranty and Vizio says I am out of luck! I am irate!! How can they do nothing. It is implied that my tv should last more then a year, what kind of product are they making!!!!
Let me know.

That is why people use their major credit card to purchase something that is expensive because the card would cover an additional 12-month, giving you 24 months total. Otherwise, get an extended warranty.

Where did you purchase your Vizio again?

Go 24
post #6 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 11:45 AM

Thanks, I guess hind site is 20/20. I bought it with my debit card. I purchased it at BJ's wholesale club. I emailed them to see if they would help, but have not heard back yet.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:

How can they do nothing.

They can do nothing by making the warranty only last a year. A TV normally SHOULD last more than a year. It should last more than two years. But there's always SOME chance of it failing at any time, and the chances increase over time. Vizio deals with those chances by taking the risk of failure on themselves for the first year, and handing the risk over to the buyer after that first year. If the buyer doesn't want to accept that risk there are ways to deal with it: buying a product with a longer warranty, buying from a place (like Costco or Sam's Club) or with a credit card that automatically extends the warranty, or paying for a protection plan. It's like any risk -- there are ways to insure against it, but it's up to you to decide how to do so.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, I guess hind site is 20/20. I bought it with my debit card. I purchased it at BJ's wholesale club. I emailed them to see if they would help, but have not heard back yet.

I am not sure whether BJ is like Costco regarding extended warranty for tv. You get an extra 2-year extended warranty from Costco.

Go 24
post #9 of 14 Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 AM

BJs would do nothing, but.....check this out! I emailed about 5 executives at Vizio. I found their names on Hoovers.com. I told them my plight and got an email back about an hour after i sent mine. They said they would take care of everything for me. HOW AWESOME IS THAT!!!!
post #10 of 14 Old 06-04-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:

BJs would do nothing, but.....check this out! I emailed about 5 executives at Vizio. I found their names on Hoovers.com. I told them my plight and got an email back about an hour after i sent mine. They said they would take care of everything for me. HOW AWESOME IS THAT!!!!

assuming they do take care of the problem, that is definitely awesome.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Yeah Vizio's are known to die out when your warranty is up. You get what you pay for.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-04-2008, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

That is great
post #13 of 14 Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 AM

Remove the back cover. Check to make sure no swollen capacitors.
Now make sure power supply fuse is good. If you have power LED lights then that fuse is good.
Now on the main board that is center and everything plugs into it. This is the main board. In the upper right hand corner at top. You will see a connector and under that there will be 3 or 4 fuses. They are white. One on the left will have printed on it 1.5, next to that would be 4 or 5 and next to that will have something on it. The forth one from the left could be there or not.
These are the fuses. Usally the one on the left that has 1.5 on it is a surface mount 1.5 amp fast blow fuse.
If you have a volt meter ( multmeter) you can plug the TV in. Put one lead to ground and the other touch the top of each fuse. From left to right you will see..

5 volts, 5 volts, .65 volts That is what mine had.

Now check the bottom of the fuse, you will see the same if the fuse is good. If not replace the fuse.

I used a pico fuse and just soldered to the top of the old fuse, makes it easier. Since the fuse is blown, no need to remove it and possible damage the board.

You could also but one of the car fuse holders. Solder on wire to the top of the fuse, one to the bottom of the fuse and then put in a 1.5 amp fast blow glass fuse in the holder.
Thats should take care of it.
If that fuse blows then something else is wrong with TV.

REMEMBER ONLY SOLDER WITH TV UNPLUGGED.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcerbelli View Post

How did that turn out? Did you just goggle some random executives?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page