Help with DVE or Avia calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-22-2008, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi!

Over the years, I've collected two calibration discs, the Avia and the DVE. On my tube, I understood the videos and was able to see all the tests.

I just bought a Sony LCD (kdl-32m3000) a few weeks ago. I finally got around to plugging the disc in and trying to calibrate it. However, I'm having some issues. It seems like the brightness and sharpness does not like to adjust. For example, on the DVE disc, I can't see the vertical black lines no matter what the contrast is. On the Avia disc, I can't see the moving vertical lines no matter what.

For the sharpness, it seems like I can adjust it somewhat....but it's hard to see exactly what the sweet spot is.

Finally, for the color...well, it kind of works but I have to take the average in order for it to work correctly.

I was wondering, with LCD TV's, do these test discs still work like they did with crt's? I know I have the low-end sony lcd, but I would guess that I would see something.

If anybody has any advice, I'm all ears!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-22-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz561 View Post

I was wondering, with LCD TV's, do these test discs still work like they did with crt's?

Calibrating an LCD is different than calibrating a CRT, but yes, the discs do work for both.

To bring out the black lines, you want increase black level (brightness), not white level (contrast).

For sharpness, you want to find the neutral setting where black/white edges are distinct but smooth with no halos. This is likely somewhere between the lowest and middle setting, but each display varies.

Color is a more complicated issue. With many displays, if you only use the color/tint colors you will have to compromise accuracy unless the display has CMS controls where you can adjust the hue and saturation for each primary and secondary color.

Search for a thread on your particular display for more user tips, and visit the video calibration forum for more detailed information on calibration.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-22-2008, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ah, thanks for the response. I should have checked the forums first before posting here! Thank you for the response.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page