Official Panasonic 32/37LZ800 Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1018 Old 07-22-2008, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbessie View Post

As mentioned elsewhere (search for lz800, buzz, etc.), I had a tech come look at it. She replaced the power supply board (which is where the buzz was coming from, it appears), and the new replacement board also buzzed.

No joy.

- Tim

i am aware of your post but you should have had them try more than one board or a earthing strap since panasonic says the tv should make no noise when on. i swear the noise damages your ears, two days after i had taken the tv back i thought i heard it now and then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatezeppelin View Post

I am about to call them for my second time and tell them that if they dont act, change the boards or install an earthing strap, then I am going to return the tv.

make sure they try a few boards and the strap and let us know how it goes/when they're coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1018 Old 07-22-2008, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclivia View Post

when did you get the TV? I hope you got a defect one, i am using all three hdmi right now

Okay, I'm embarrassed to admit that the reason my set was chopping off the sides of 720p and 1080i/p content was because.... (drumroll)... the format was set to "4:3"! Changing it to "Full" puts everything in widescreen on all 3 HDMI jacks, and the set is perfect after all... much more perfect than it's owner... :-)

Marc
post #453 of 1018 Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmetalhed View Post

I just received mine yesterday--32LZ800--and just let me say WOW! Of course that was after one week of patience, as I ordered it on 7/14, and worrying about it getting stuck in Hodgkins, IL, via the brown delivery co and their 3-day shipping from theEgg's vendors (they don't carry this TV in their warehouses). Here are some of my initial impressions of my first HDTV.

I bought this TV so I could play MGS4 on the PS3, which I purchased on the worldwide release date. Because I was limited to using a standard 480 set, it was impossible to read the fine orange text on the screen. Once it started up on my new Panny, I WAS IN HEAVEN! Everything is so much clearer.

Don't even get me started on COD4... On my other tv, you would look down your gun's sights and could not see ANYTHING. Now when I do that, I can actually see where I am aiming! The only trouble I had was going from a square screen to widescreen. Both my brother and my dad commented on how it felt... different.

I watched a full summer league basketball game last night (which unfortunately only broadcast in SD) of the Utah Jazz vs the Iranian National Team. I was a little concerned about how standard channels would look on this set, but I was pleased. However, it had a "fisheye" look to it on the ends (my guess would be some sort of post processing from SD to widescreen by the station).

My lappy looked excellent hooked up via HDMI cable into slot #1. However, while the PS3 did not appear to have any lag issues, my pc did. In Halo 2, I could hear the click of my mouse... and then it would fire the weapon on the screen. While I am still looking into this issue, my guess is that it has more to do with my lappy.

Currently I have the set hanging on my wall. I did run into an issue installing the wall mount I purchased--Ergotron Neo-Flex--as it the screws that attach the mount to the back of the set were too large for the holes in the Panny. So I had to put some different ones in to make it work.

As for the "buzzing" sound coming off of these sets... I would say that there isn't much, if any. The only sound I can hear is if I put my ear near the back of the set; there is a slight hum almost like a fan. In terms of loudness, I would say the sound is a littler louder than the sound my mp3 player makes when it is reading the flash drive or the digital camera I used to own. Yet it is much quieter than the sound my fan on my lappy makes or my PS3. Unless you have hearing like your dog... this "sound" is not an issue. If there is this "buzzing" I would say your unit is defective and you need to send it in.

Yes this Panny may not have the "features" that others have--PiP and all of the other fancy software--but for the price and picture quality (the audio is decent, good at best) this set can't be beat. I was really turned off by similar models by Samsung and Sony. They either did not handle motion very well, or you could NOT move around without having the screen darken/change colors, or the picture was dark and unsaturated, which, for me, really turned me off. I love the glossy screen (there is not a bad seat in the house). I can literally look at the TV from the side and there is no darkening or discoloration on the screen! My room is in the basement, so I don't get as much ambient light, which with a glossy screen, really makes it look fantastic.

My bedroom has been transformed from just a place to sleep, game, and do homework to a place to sleep, an office, and a home theater!

Thanks to all who have donated their thoughts to this set and help me purchase a well rounded TV without actually seeing it in person! Which, I admit, was a little scary!

Now I just need to get me a HTiB to make everything complete! Any suggestions... I really like the Onkyo HT-S3100 or the Logitech Z-5500.

i got the tv to play my ps3 mgs4 too. congrats on your set. For htib, you should buy a reciever that support truehd. i recommend onkyo tx-sr 606 which is the lowest truehd model for onkyo, and can pair it up with z5500 or any other 5.1/7.1 speaker.

post #454 of 1018 Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 AM

Well I just registered here to give some slight info of my impression toward the TC-32LZ800 & I'm from Canada.

Videos does indeed appear smoother than my cheap Envision HDTV. The VGA connection output is horrible on the Panasonic & I went with HDMI without question.

The color on HDMI are indeed very beautiful & the angle view is impressive. The Glossy screen make the panel look handsome when turned off.

As a gaming TV, this set is highly satisfying.

Here are my lag test result via S-video using clone display with the ATI X1600 Pro.

All post processing feature ON

All post processing Feature OFF

Well this concluded that even with all the feature ON, the games are totally playable with very minimal lag.

The downside is that the panel ain't support high resolution via VGA & component & only HDMI can be used in 1080P.

The manufacturer setting need to be recalibrated once purchased. Though, it is quite a fancy panel. I was getting an LG, but the shop went out of stock & bought a Panny instead.

What I like the most about the TV is the strenght of the video processor & how clever it goes in a way to take out all the negative point of an LCD.

The Panel does indeed do a buzz noise like CRT & also make the sound of a CRT when you turn it on.

The black is black indeed & look as black as the frame. Oh gosh it is fancy indeed.
post #455 of 1018 Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Deap View Post

Well I just registered here to give some slight info of my impression toward the TC-32LZ800 & I'm from Canada.

The Panel does indeed do a buzz noise like CRT & also make the sound of a CRT when you turn it on.

The black is black indeed & look as black as the frame. Oh gosh it is fancy indeed.

where did you find the 800 in canada?????????

im guessing you have your black level set to dark. it makes things look black crushes them a ton. as for the buzzing does it sound like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZUzGeTHyA and can you hear it without putting your ear right up to the set???????

i've never had an lcd or crt that has made such a noise. all tvs make a extremely faint static noise but the pannys i've had/checked had a much louder electrical buzz like a green utility box.
post #456 of 1018 Old 07-23-2008, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mr Deap - great effort on the input lag tests
If I could request something - is to test the scaling of the Panasonic. E.g. set both resolutions to a 4:3 resolution, say 640x480p I'm trying to see how fast the scaler works, particularly for old console games.

I think 640x480 would be a "worst case scenario".
post #457 of 1018 Old 07-23-2008, 10:16 AM

Is it possible that the 37LZ800 uses a beefier power supply than the 32LZ800, therefore alleviating the buzzing on the bigger sets? I have yet to hear a buzz from my 37LZ800.

I have decided that a 37" monitor running 1920X1080 is a little too big at only 4 feet away. I am trying it mounted above the desk to give me a bit more distance. (Also frees up massive amounts of desk space :P )

To follow up on my previous post with images of the 37LZ800 running as a PC monitor over HDMI at 1080P, I am posting a couple more pics of a 720p compressed backup of "Juno". I am quite pleased with the results. Blacks are definitely acceptable and colours are fantastic.

I realize that the below picture isn't the best, but I just wanted to show that at the top right side of the screen, where the frame is blackest, black levels almost match the piano finish of the TV frame - not too bad in my opinion.

(Yes, I know the TV looks a bit crooked, but I'm pretty sure that's just the camera angle...)
post #458 of 1018 Old 07-23-2008, 11:27 AM

Do you game at all? GTAIV night scenes are a great test for black levels. On my 2405, black crush is ridiculous which forces me to pump up the brightness - which means my eyes are burned off anytime there is a full-white screen.
post #459 of 1018 Old 07-23-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav451 View Post

Mr Deap - great effort on the input lag tests
If I could request something - is to test the scaling of the Panasonic. E.g. set both resolutions to a 4:3 resolution, say 640x480p I'm trying to see how fast the scaler works, particularly for old console games.

I think 640x480 would be a "worst case scenario".

S-video is the worst case scenario & I clearly mentioned all feature "on" on the very first picture. The TV have to desinterlace & scale the whole thing. My other HDTV is horrible on that test. The only resolution you can get from by S-video is 480i (720X480 interlaced). Since I have the TC-32LZ800, I will wait for someone else to confirm it or I'll make a video with youtube to show off later during this week with my DV & you'll just have to press pause to see the result
post #460 of 1018 Old 07-23-2008, 12:45 PM

Oh ok thanks.

On the buzzing - how close are you sitting to it and is it very noticeable to you?
post #461 of 1018 Old 07-23-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclivia View Post

i got the tv to play my ps3 mgs4 too. congrats on your set. For htib, you should buy a reciever that support truehd. i recommend onkyo tx-sr 606 which is the lowest truehd model for onkyo, and can pair it up with z5500 or any other 5.1/7.1 speaker.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to do some research into everything like I did with my TV purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervx View Post

where did you find the 800 in canada?

im guessing you have your black level set to dark. it makes things look black crushes them a ton. as for the buzzing does it sound like this [it wont let me post links...yet] and can you hear it without putting your ear right up to the set?

i've never had an lcd or crt that has made such a noise. all tvs make a extremely faint static noise but the pannys i've had/checked had a much louder electrical buzz like a green utility box.

nervx, wow that is loud! I doubt I could even pick up mine with a mic...

Quote:

Videos does indeed appear smoother than my cheap Envision HDTV. The VGA connection output is horrible on the Panasonic & I went with HDMI without question.

The color on HDMI are indeed very beautiful & the angle view is impressive. The Glossy screen make the panel look handsome when turned off.

Here are my lag test result via S-video using clone display with the ATI X1600 Pro.

All post processing feature ON

Well this concluded that even with all the feature ON, the games are totally playable with very minimal lag.

The downside is that the panel ain't support high resolution via VGA & component & only HDMI can be used in 1080P.

Now those lag images are fantastic! Playing games on this set is just so silky smooth. Mr. Deap, I don't think that there are any sets that support 1920x1080 via a VGA connection. From what I understand, the only way to get that is by an HDMI connection.

Now, what sort of results would a HDMI connection render? I wanna see how amazing this set is!
post #462 of 1018 Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:

That does look Very promising on the Lag side. One question if you hook up with HDMI, why did you go S-Video for the lag test.

Could you try again with this clock that shows milliseconds?
http://tft.vanity.dk/ (grab inputlag.exe)
If your camera has ISO control, you may want to turn it up to 400 to better freeze the numbers.
post #463 of 1018 Old 07-23-2008, 07:09 PM

Crutchfield actually has a good price on these right now including free shipping + they have a good return policy.
post #464 of 1018 Old 07-23-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidryp View Post

That does look Very promising on the Lag side. One question if you hook up with HDMI, why did you go S-Video for the lag test.

Could you try again with this clock that shows milliseconds? (grab inputlag.exe)
If your camera has ISO control, you may want to turn it up to 400 to better freeze the numbers.

S-video is for those who want to use older gaming system that doesn't support digital signal. Lag occur in 99.9% of the case on non digital signal input.

You can play on your PS2, PSX without problem with it.

I used my webcam. I have no digital camera at home.
post #465 of 1018 Old 07-24-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:

mr deap. where did you find the 800 in canada?

that crt buzz does it sound like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZUzGeTHyA and can you hear it without putting your ear right up to the set?

post #466 of 1018 Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole5 View Post

Crutchfield actually has a good price on these right now including free shipping + they have a good return policy.

Thanks for the heads up! I just placed an order for the TC-32LZ800. Once it arrives I will post my impressions. Right now I'm using a LG L246WP 24" and this Panasonic will be replacing that as my do everything monitor (hooked up to my MacBook, and PS3).
post #467 of 1018 Old 07-24-2008, 01:52 PM

Cool - keep us updated. I'm particularly interested in how well Crutchfield ships and all that.
post #468 of 1018 Old 07-24-2008, 05:22 PM

Using my new 37LZ800 for about two weeks, normally great video and very good built in audio when using cablebox HDMI input. Problem: the sound level from my five year old but higher end Sony DVD player is extremely low requiring that the volume on the TV be turned up to 25-30 to hear dialog where 5-12 is normal listening level for dialog with cable as source. I have tried connecting the Sony via Video 1 and component 1 with the same results. The DVD sound was fine with the Sony Plasma 32" the 37LZ800 recently replaced. Any of you have any ideas as to the cause? I don't have another convenient DVD source to try out to see if its the Sony DVD player. Any of you encounter/hear of gain/sound input level issues with Sony DVD paired with Panasonic TVs? I am otherwise very happy with the TV but wondering if I should consider a newer DVD player, seems like a waste but maybe neccessary.
post #469 of 1018 Old 07-25-2008, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav451 View Post

Do you game at all? GTAIV night scenes are a great test for black levels. On my 2405, black crush is ridiculous which forces me to pump up the brightness - which means my eyes are burned off anytime there is a full-white screen.

Make sure your PS3 is set to output RGB at PC levels. That might fix the prob

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #470 of 1018 Old 07-25-2008, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi I've been considering getting this TV for use as a computer monitor, I have a few questions though. What's the color like on the LZ800 compared to the 85? Is it more accurate like Panasonic does with their plasma lines? If not color are there any PQ related differences that separate the sets? I was also wondering if anyone has measured the black level on the TV or had a few things to say about it (good/bad?)

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #471 of 1018 Old 07-25-2008, 07:07 AM

futureshop is now stocking the 800 line..... anyone know what their return policy is on tvs? is it like best buy where you can return for any reason?
post #472 of 1018 Old 07-25-2008, 06:29 PM

I just received my 37LZ85 today! Only had a few minutes to hook it up and look at it. Very impressive screen, black levels are great! I have it hooked up to my PC through HDMI. I can say that this set does not exhibit the buzzing noise that some have reported here. It barely makes a sound when on.

I had only a limited time to go through the menu, but one of the first things I turned off was the AI mode that changed the contrast and whatnot dynamically. Other than that, I would like to see some of the settings you guys used on your sets. Especially from those who use this set as a PC monitor.
post #473 of 1018 Old 07-26-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven0698 View Post

I just received my 37LZ85 today! Only had a few minutes to hook it up and look at it. Very impressive screen, black levels are great! I have it hooked up to my PC through HDMI. I can say that this set does not exhibit the buzzing noise that some have reported here. It barely makes a sound when on.

I had only a limited time to go through the menu, but one of the first things I turned off was the AI mode that changed the contrast and whatnot dynamically. Other than that, I would like to see some of the settings you guys used on your sets. Especially from those who use this set as a PC monitor.

Your impressions are the same as that of mine. I am beginning to feel that
1) the buzzing sound issue is mainly with the 32" models
2) The 37LZ85 is a very good bang-for-the-buck no-frills IPS panel.
3) Has anti glare coat which is better for the eyes

We should have a 37LZ85 thread Its quite under valued which is good because you dont have to pay for the advertising and hype.
post #474 of 1018 Old 07-26-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by envydd View Post

Your impressions are the same as that of mine. I am beginning to feel that
1) the buzzing sound issue is mainly with the 32" models
2) The 37LZ85 is a very good bang-for-the-buck no-frills IPS panel.
3) Has anti glare coat which is better for the eyes

We should have a 37LZ85 thread Its quite under valued which is good because you dont have to pay for the advertising and hype.

Here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004715

Samsung 43D490 3D Plasma owner
post #475 of 1018 Old 07-26-2008, 01:14 PM

I am going to be brief and to the point. I do a lot of gaming and this TV is absolutely perfect for PC use (tc-32lz800). Just remember to turn the sharpness setting to 0 so that text doesn't look fuzzy. I notice absolutely no lag coming from a dell 2005fpw. Lag was a big issue for me in my purchase and all i can say is this set is great. The forums i don't think do this set justice. all i see are "this set blows cuz it buzzes" posts and i can say mine is perfect ordered from wholesaleav through amazon. I am by no means a tv expert, but this set is gorgeous. As for the glossy screen there is very little glare (if you don't like it invest in some blinds ). Really don't think twice about this set. I contemplated over a650 530u xbr6 and the IPS screen sold me on this. Once i heard PVA for the other sets I decided those were not for me. This TV is 90% for pc use and 10% tv/movie. After 2 weeks not a single complaint and all i do is play video games. I ran a color calibration software and the following are my settings and if the software isn't lying then this set is damn near perfect after calibration. Enjoy hope this helps the pc gaming inquirers cuz i coulda used some help deciding.

Backlight - 20
Picture - 40
Brightness - 48
color - 35
tint - (-5) (red was slightly saturated but -5 made everything perfect)
Sharpness - 15 for tv 0 for pc
post #476 of 1018 Old 07-26-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidryp View Post

Could you try again with this clock that shows milliseconds?
http://tft.vanity.dk/ (grab inputlag.exe)

HDMI Panasonic TC-32LZ800 vs CRT VGA

S-Video Panasonic TC-32LZ800 vs CRT VGA

CRT VGA vs S-video AOC Envision L27W461 Lol, this one is unplayable on almost all PS2 title except if it accept 480P.

CRT VGA vs S-video JVC iART AV-27FA44[SDTV FLAT CRT]

I actually did a video with them in motion, but I'll post it later with all the screen in the same position which I did the recording along with the picture test.

All I can say is that the lag test are very very positive toward the TC-32LZ800 & very comparable to a CRT TV such as this one.

AV-27FA44
post #477 of 1018 Old 07-26-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaspen View Post

I am going to be brief and to the point. I do a lot of gaming and this TV is absolutely perfect for PC use (tc-32lz800).

Wow great to hear that. Out of curiousity, what kind of games are you playing?
post #478 of 1018 Old 07-27-2008, 02:55 AM

Here the lag test live made with a video so there a better understanding behind it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbvreeOk7PA

Don't listen too much in what I said, but only the result count. It's funny to toy with 4 screen together. You can press pause for multiple result.
post #479 of 1018 Old 07-27-2008, 05:40 AM

Great stuff. Thanks Mr. Deap!

What I see is 16-31ms of Lag which is Excellent for an LCD TV. In fact. I have not seen one this close before. This is actually better than a lot of dedicated computer monitors.

Also your first shot your can see it is starting to change from 875 to 891 (91 is fading in) to match the CRT. So it is very close indeed.

Thanks again. I have no fear that lag will be an issue assuming the 37LZ85 behaves the same way.
post #480 of 1018 Old 07-27-2008, 10:02 AM

I'm interested in the LZ800 or LZ85 for a bedroom set, which is the preferrable model at the moment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page