Official Panasonic 32/37LZ800 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went through all the commands on the 32lz800 and I didn't see any mention of PIP; has anyone in the US who got one, found it has PIP?

- Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbessie View Post

I went through all the commands on the 32lz800 and I didn't see any mention of PIP; has anyone in the US who got one, found it has PIP?

- Tim

European ones have it, afaik.
post #63 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 06:27 AM

I am jealous of the owners of a brand spankin' new LZ800! : ) From what I've read and heard, this tv is superb in all aspects to other 32'' in its class. Like some people I just cannot seem to find one anywhere in retailers and they have no idea if they'll be getting any. *sigh* I am going to have to keep looking. Keep the pics rolling!

One2The3
post #64 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One2The3 View Post

Like some people I just cannot seem to find one anywhere in retailers and they have no idea if they'll be getting any. *sigh* I am going to have to keep looking. Keep the pics rolling!

One2The3

I just ordered my 37LZ800 on buydig with 3-year extended warranty.

One thing I am wondering is why the EU version has PIP and 100Hz refresh rate.
post #65 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 09:10 AM

Location: New Castle, DE (A small state a few miles south of Philadelphia)
I have been over to the AVForum (East-Side-of-The-Pond version of AVSForum) and there is an 32
/37 LZD80/85/800 owner's thread one of the posts on which contained the attached photo that is the best example of the reflection characteristics of this screen that I have seen.

The anti-glare coating on the plastic screen may enhance black levels (the comments on that thread enthusiastically proclaim they are great), but the trade-off is the severe specular reflections (mirror-like imaging) on the screen. One may as well get the plasma version and save a few bucks

Not a lot of difference between watching the piano black bezel and the screen

FWIW, I will attempt to post a link to that thread with an edit to this for those of you who may want to peruse it after I finish there myself.

Edit: http://http://www.avforums.com/forum...d.php?t=757753

It seems these European version displays are made in a Czech plant which, the source poster claims, is situated close to an IPS-Alpha substrate manufacturing plant.
LL

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts." -- L of A
post #66 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
^Hmmm that is quite shiny but what does it look like when the set is turned on.

Is there more pictures? I wasn't going to go through 22 pages to find them so a more specific link would much appreciated.
post #67 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 10:46 AM

It looks like its out side. He needs to put it in and then see how it is.

Samsung 43D490 3D Plasma owner
post #68 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 10:52 AM

I called Panny customer service today to complain that no dealers in California have the 32800 and don't know when they will. Panny said they will have by the end of June. She said Best Buy and Circuit City both will have it. Also if you buy one from an authorized dealer you can order the extended warranty from Panny for $89 for 2 years and $189 for 3 years. The 3 year starts when the one year factory warranty runs out giving you a 4 year warranty whereas the 2 year gives you a total of 2 years (includes the 1 year factory warranty).
post #69 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 10:57 AM

I still say there are major technology differences between the European and U.S version of this display (or, at least, in the marketing of the product)

Panasonic TX37LZD800 Review [From HDTV.org]

Reviewed: 23 May 2008

Design

Common design themes now identify the latest raft of LCD and Plasma screens from Panasonic as belonging to the same 'family'. One of these design themes is a curved element at the base of the screen which appears in various guises across the whole range of flat panel TV's. The lower edge of the TX37LZD800 houses an elegant silver trim which runs the full length of the screen, tapering away at its edges. This trim is very slightly indented at its top and then extends outwards slightly beyond the screen at the bottom giving the feature an elliptical pod like structure. Subtle design touches such as the super slim speakers which sit flush at either side of the screen give the TX37LZD800 that top of the range look. The overall effect is a clean, elegant, supremely classy appearance with real flare.

Features

Not only do the TX-37LZD800's looks distinguish it from other members of the Panasonic LCD family, there are also some important, if not spectacular, additions under the hood. With a total of 4 HDMI (v1.3) inputs, Panasonic's flagship TX-37LZD800 has one more than the step down LZD85 series. HDMI v1.3 can utilize the Deep Colour (x.v.YCC) format. Deep Colour produces almost twice the range of available colours, but you will need a source that produces this level of detail (A few HD camcorders offer the feature and possibly in the future, Blu-ray discs played through a Deep Colour enabled player such as Panasonic's DMP-BD30). The TX-37LZD800's elegant slim side speakers are supported by Panasonic's 'Advanced Smart Sound' system. These speakers are more sophisticated 'two-way' rather than just 'one-way' units and feature separate 'tweeter' as well as 'woofer' components for greater acoustic balance and power. The TX-37LZD800 is the only current LCD from Panasonic to feature 'Clear Panel design' which has been created to deliver sharper, more vibrant images while retaining this enhanced performance across all viewing angles. Finally, there is also picture-in-picture (pip) functionality. Panasonic have re-engineered their core image processing technology, 'V-real', which has evolved on the TX37LZD800 into V-real 3 and V-real PRO 3. There are two major constituents to the V-real 3 equation, V-real PRO 3 Processor and V-real PRO 3 Driver. The 'processor' element works on the raw video signal to optimize the incoming stream, while the 'Driver' element works with the refined signal and optimizes panel performance to this signal. Increasing the frame rate from 50 frames per second (fps) to 100fps, Motion Picture Pro 2 has been designed to create a more fluid picture while maintaining picture stability and resolution. The TX-37LZD800 sports a Full HD native resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels which allows this panel to resolve every detail of 1080i and 1080p sources, rather than scaling these pictures to fit. With dynamic backlight circuitry, the TX37LZD800 automatically detects the brightness levels of the incoming video signal and adjusts the backlight accordingly. Contrast ratio is a claimed 10,000:1. A simple feature we really like is the photo viewer. Insert your camera's SD card into the TX37LZD800's SD slot and the screen will go into slide show mode. Your photos are then easily navigable through the TV's remote. The TX-37LZD800 also features 'Viera Link', Panasonics take on a technology which employs high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) connections to automatically control similarly enabled devices using a single remote. Pop the SD memory card from your digital camera into the TX37LZD80's card slot and a slideshow presentation begins, which you can control from the TV's remote.

Performance

We have always believed that Panasonic's 100Hz processing technology has been more effective than most and their Motion Picture Pro 2 system maintains and enhances that tradition. If it hadn't been for our recent review of the Sony KDL-32W4000 (no 100Hz) we would have said without reservation that the TX37LZD800 was the most capable LCD we have witnessed when it comes to motion handling abilities. As it is, Picture Pro 2 is the most mature implementation of 100Hz processing we have seen. It is not perfect, with a small amount of smearing and slight loss of detail on fast pans, but very few LCD TV's can rival the fluidity of motion and retention of detail displayed by this panel. As a producer of Plasma as well as LCD screens, Panasonic gives us a useful insight into the state of these competing technologies. With similar picture processing wizardry being applied to their panels we get a very subjective look into black level performance of Plasma and LCD. The black level performance of the TX-37LZD800 is excellent; with a complete absence of grayish tones and the ability to create subtle graduations across darker scenes which until not so long ago was the sole preserve of plasma. Place this panel alongside Panasonic's budget PX80 plasmas however and you notice a difference. Along with Samsung, Panasonic have closed the gap between LCD and Plasma performance, but there is still a gap - just. Even Panasonic's entry level PX80 plasmas offer the kind of deep rich blacks and subtle graduations across darker scenes that the TX-37LZD800 can't quite match. Of course, the excellent black level performance provides the perfect canvass for colour. Colours on the TX-37LZD800 remain consistently rich and accurate in all situations, even with tricky facial tones. We don't believe that the 37in screen can make as much use of the extra pixels afforded by a Full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution as even a 40-42in screen, but what is not in doubt is the excellent High Definition (HD) performance of the TX37LZD800. This is one the sharpest most detailed picture we have seen on a 37in screen which ironically left us craving for a 40in LCD from Panasonic. From a day to day perspective, most of us are interested in the standard definition (SD) capabilities of our flat screens. In this respect, the TX-37LZD800 really delivers. The SD picture is remarkable when you consider that it is translating a signal (from the poorer quality Freeview) designed for your 576 lines CRT. There is an element of noise and flicker on fast action pans, but you need to be looking for inconsistencies to really notice them. The TX-37LZD800 is one of the few LCD's to really deliver on the promise of an accomplished acoustic performance. Panasonic illustrates that there is just no substitute for more power when it comes to the sonic abilities of a TV.

Conclusion

The TX-37LZD800 does not offer a significant advantage in terms of picture performance over the LZD85, but if you value an improved acoustic performance and having a beautifully designed piece of kit in your living room, this could be the screen for you.

post #70 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 11:00 AM

Um... the review doesn't help because it's for the EU version, not the US one.
post #71 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

^Hmmm that is quite shiny but what does it look like when the set is turned on.

Is there more pictures? I wasn't going to go through 22 pages to find them so a more specific link would much appreciated.

Here is an attachement of a companion picture that shows pretty much the same thing:

The comments on the site thread seem to express little concern with the reflective nature except to say that the 'clear panel' feature (available only on the high-end 800 model) makes quite a difference in the black levels/contrast (positive).
LL

post #72 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Supra View Post

It looks like its out side. He needs to put it in and then see how it is.

The photo was only to show the degree to which the screen reflects images

Besides, if the set is inside against a wall that is opposite, say, a wall of windows or a picture window one would see pretty much the effect shown here.

post #73 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbacrunch View Post

Besides, if the set is inside against a wall that is opposite, say, a wall of windows or a picture window one would see pretty much the effect shown here.

Appreciate the reference(pic), Numba. With most TV technologies its an issue of picking your poison. What disadvantages can you live with or without? For me this set will go into the bedroom and the presumed location only has one window that will reflect on the set. The window is the the left of the display(on side wall) and reflection can be easily managed by closing the blinds. Furthermore, if you plan on using this set in a brightly lit room with lots of windows it may not be the best choice. Its a decision that will be made on an individual basis.

Denon AVR-X2000------>Def Tech PM1000's------>Def Tech PC2000------->Sub(TBD)
Pioneer Pro111FD viewed from 7'------>Picture mode, ISF Day(calibrated by umr)
Sony PS3

post #74 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Doesn't look like it was to show how the reflection is since he has all his movies, console and speakers setup.

Samsung 43D490 3D Plasma owner
post #75 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspershi View Post

Um... the review doesn't help because it's for the EU version, not the US one.

My point in posting the European review is that it is based on what I believe to be a different kettle of fish; i.e., the 37LZD800 is signifiicantly different from the 37LZ800, as I tried to indicate with my lead remark:

"I still say there are major technology differences between the European and U.S version of this display (or, at least, in the marketing of the product)"

What I don't think has been resolved between these two displays are apparent differences in their:

Speakers/sound systems
Inclusion of Motion Pro/Motion Pro 2 technology

V Real 3 processing We know they differ in the number of HDMI inputs with four on the European version and three on the U.S. version.

What other differences, if any, are there?

I would love to believe there is simply a difference of emphasis in the respective marketing regarding the first three items I have listed above, but I doubt it.

I'm just looking for closure on those 'issues'.

Sorry for the 'European' review; if we had a comparable review for the U.S. version (perhaps containing a camparison of the two sets and why the differences) then these issues might be put to rest.

post #76 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz View Post

Appreciate the reference(pic), Numba. With most TV technologies its an issue of picking your poison. What disadvantages can you live with or without? For me this set will go into the bedroom and the presumed location only has one window that will reflect on the set. The window is the the left of the display(on side wall) and reflection can be easily managed by closing the blinds. Furthermore, if you plan on using this set in a brightly lit room with lots of windows it may not be the best choice. Its a decision that will be made on an individual basis.

Agreed.

I am a big believer in controlling the ambient environment, as you indicate you are as well, and then optimizing the display through adjustments for that environment.

I have not ruled this display out (or going with the step-down 37LZ85 with the matte screen). There are other outstanding concerns, as well, which I have listed in a reply to another recent post above.

post #77 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Supra View Post

Doesn't look like it was to show how the reflection is since he has all his movies, console and speakers setup.

I believe this photo is of one on commercial display (Note the SONY sign on the bottom shelf of the credenza in the first photo). To clarify, the set (display) is the 37LCD800 as I believe I may not have mentioned that specifically.

post #78 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Here is an attachement of a companion picture that shows pretty much the same thing:

The comments on the site thread seem to express little concern with the reflective nature except to say that the 'clear panel' feature (available only on the high-end 800 model) makes quite a difference in the black levels/contrast (positive).

That's a REALLY bright room. I think you would have reflection problems with almost any surface in a room that bright.
post #79 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 12:58 PM

For those who own the 32LZ800, do you know how much the TV weighs? According to the Panny website, the set weights 38.7 lbs. However, it doesn't specify if that's with or without the stand.

My current wall mount can only hold TV's up to 37 lbs.
post #80 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs View Post

I've had mine for about a week now...
If any option in the settings menu is grayed out, you'll have to undo another option to make it available.

I'm quite happy with my purchase.

Higgs

Turns out part of it is my own lack of knowlegde. Comb Filter doesn't come in to play because all my connections to the TV are via HDMI or component. Comb Filter works on Composite/RF sources. Color matrix, as should be expected, is only applicable to the component inputs.

However, MPEG NR and Motion Focus continue to baffle me. They also baffle the guy at Panasonic customer support I talked to. As a specific example, I can put Grand Theft Auto IV in my PS3 (input via HDMI port 2), and if I go into the TV's Picture settings MPEG NR and Motion Focus are available/selectable. I can then quit the game and eject it, put in a Bluray movie (did this with Enchanted just now), and if I then go into the TV's Picture settings, both MPEG NR and Motion Focus are off and completely grayed out. That is with absolutely zero changes to settings on the PS3 or the TV itself. It just confuses me, since I thought Motion Focus was the kind of feature you'd want when watching movies?

My next step is to hit some of the PS3 config threads and work from that angle, and the guy from Panasonic is supposed to contact me. Either way, I'm still very happy with this bad boy. Nothing like playing Mass Effect, or Crysis, being 3 feet away from this bad boy!

hon143, my wag would be that the specified weight is going to include the stand, as unlike the other TV's I've helped friends set up, Panny seems to ship these displays with the stands installed. Whether or removing the stand will get you to under 37 pounds or not.....no clue. I'm also really liked the swivel feature of the stand. Useful, and at the same time well implemented.

O xein angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tede, keimentha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi.
post #81 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-case View Post

hon143, my wag would be that the specified weight is going to include the stand, as unlike the other TV's I've helped friends set up, Panny seems to ship these displays with the stands installed. Whether or removing the stand will get you to under 37 pounds or not.....no clue. I'm also really liked the swivel feature of the stand. Useful, and at the same time well implemented.

If the stated weight is with stand, then I think I'm good. I'm certain the stand is more than 2 lbs. I currently have a 23" Panny LCD HDTV and its stand weighs several lbs at least.
post #82 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 04:56 PM

Looks look the banding pattern I had on 4 Sharp D62U and D92Us in 2006/07.
post #83 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewind View Post

I called Panny customer service today to complain that no dealers in California have the 32800 and don't know when they will. Panny said they will have by the end of June. She said Best Buy and Circuit City both will have it. Also if you buy one from an authorized dealer you can order the extended warranty from Panny for $89 for 2 years and $189 for 3 years. The 3 year starts when the one year factory warranty runs out giving you a 4 year warranty whereas the 2 year gives you a total of 2 years (includes the 1 year factory warranty).

Wow...the thought of calling Panasonic's customer service went over my head. Hehe. That's pretty good news; I was this close to pulling the trigger on the XBR6. In the mean time, I'll lurk around here gathering more information and finding pictures of this sweet 32'' 1080p LCD!

Thanks, One2The3
post #84 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 09:10 PM

I brought this TV a week ago and posted these pics on another forum. My basement has relatively bright fluorescent lights, which I thought were going to be a problem, but the picture on the TV drowns out any reflections that may show up, and have had no problem with any games or TV shows I've been watching (despite seeming otherwise in some of the pictures). Haven't gotten any 720p or 1080p sources yet (waiting for the MGS4 PS3 bundle next week), but for anything below 480p, this TV handles it very well! For Wii and PS2, they were hooked up via Component. Sega Saturn was hooked up via S-Video. I'm not exactly at the same calibur at noticing things like most people here are. Your milage my vary. This IS my first HDTV after all!

Quote:

- Tim

I have not seen ANY options or PIP. Probably my 1 issue with this otherwise excellent TV.
post #85 of 1018 Old 06-05-2008, 09:56 PM

Those SD pictures look really good.
post #86 of 1018 Old 06-06-2008, 08:38 AM

Nice pics Ramune! Make sure to post some pics of MGS4 when it comes out next week. That game is going to be one of the best games ever made. Did you purchase yours online too?

Thanks, One2The3
post #87 of 1018 Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Ramune, Is that the 32" or 37"? Looks like the 32"?

Denon AVR-X2000------>Def Tech PM1000's------>Def Tech PC2000------->Sub(TBD)
Pioneer Pro111FD viewed from 7'------>Picture mode, ISF Day(calibrated by umr)
Sony PS3

post #88 of 1018 Old 06-06-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One2The3 View Post

Nice pics Ramune! Make sure to post some pics of MGS4 when it comes out next week. That game is going to be one of the best games ever made. Did you purchase yours online too?

Thanks, One2The3

Yeah, I'll post them as soon as I can. Picking up the Special Edition at my local Gamestop and hopefully they'll have the PS3 bundle there as well. If not, there is a Wal-Mart next door and hopefully it's a good fall back (actually Wal-Mart would be my first choice because of the $100 giftcard offer with a PS3 purchase). Might not get to play it until late that evening or on Friday. My bro's going to try to go to one of the two Kojima signings (Virgin Superstore and Uniqlo). If he's going to the Uniqlo store, I'm having him bring my Special Edition (among other things) to get it signed!

As for the TV, I got it at one of the two Tweeter stores in my surrounding area. They had it right next to the 32" Sony XBR6 and no matter what tweeks I did, the Panasonic came out on top. Sound isn't a problem, I have it hooked up to my Logitech Z-2300 setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz View Post

Ramune, Is that the 32" or 37"? Looks like the 32"?

It's indeed the 32" version.
post #89 of 1018 Old 06-06-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspershi View Post

I just ordered my 37LZ800 on buydig with 3-year extended warranty.

One thing I am wondering is why the EU version has PIP and 100Hz refresh rate.

I don't know why it would have PIP and ours not, but the 100Hz refresh rate's because PAL is 25Hz/50Hz; but you probably knew that, and were asking because 100Hz would correspond to out 120Hz, huh?

It *is* strange they should have features we don't have.

- Tim
post #90 of 1018 Old 06-06-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:

I don't know why it would have PIP and ours not, but the 100Hz refresh rate's because PAL is 25Hz/50Hz; but you probably knew that, and were asking because 100Hz would correspond to out 120Hz, huh?

I guess European is their major market, not the NA.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page