post #991 of 1018 Old 03-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian02840 View Post

do the new Panasonic Viera G1 S1 and X1 look like improvements over the lz800? my reason for asking is if you go onto jr.com they advertise the price of the successor to the lz800 with motion focus III tech inside, 15,000:1 dynamic ratio. then i checked the ms response time and they actually slowed down the clock speed from 6.7ms to 8ms. i am wondering why?! i broke down the new lineup and all i can tell is that they seem to have gotten rid of the 2 tier setup in favor of a 3 tier break down. they have a 720p line, a 1080p line, and a 120hz line. i personally loved the 37lz800 i did not buy one but i saw one at Tweeter prior to them going out of business in Seekonk Mass. if i had time to fiddle with it i would have bought it on site. IMO Panasonic makes superior HDTV's. i just see this newest set of HDTV's as a step backwards except for the price and the 120hz top end model. i will probably still buy an lz800 even after these newer sets come out. i do not care for the thin bezel look.

Well, because I use such LCDs mainly as PC monitors, my main curiousity centers around whether the new ones have a PC mode with perfect text...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1018 Old 03-15-2009, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian02840 View Post

do the new Panasonic Viera G1 S1 and X1 look like improvements over the lz800? my reason for asking is if you go onto jr.com they advertise the price of the successor to the lz800 with motion focus III tech inside, 15,000:1 dynamic ratio. then i checked the ms response time and they actually slowed down the clock speed from 6.7ms to 8ms. i am wondering why?! i broke down the new lineup and all i can tell is that they seem to have gotten rid of the 2 tier setup in favor of a 3 tier break down. they have a 720p line, a 1080p line, and a 120hz line. i personally loved the 37lz800 i did not buy one but i saw one at Tweeter prior to them going out of business in Seekonk Mass. if i had time to fiddle with it i would have bought it on site. IMO Panasonic makes superior HDTV's. i just see this newest set of HDTV's as a step backwards except for the price and the 120hz top end model. i will probably still buy an lz800 even after these newer sets come out. i do not care for the thin bezel look.

I am not sure that I would characterize Panasonic's new LCD lineup as a step back...more of a sideways movement if you ask me, albeit for a lower cost, which is nice. I believe the 2009 HDTVs use the same IPS panel as last year and have more or less the same features. The 120 Hz is an improvement, although I am not sure whether it makes all that much difference in reality. I wouldn't get too caught up in comparing ms response or contrast ratios; just go out and compare the new Panasonic LCDs against the comparable Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, etc. units. The main benefit of the Panny LCD HDTVs compared to others is the IPS panel, which has a pretty incredible viewing angle compared to other LCDs on the market.

wilbur
post #993 of 1018 Old 04-03-2009, 04:38 PM

Is anyone still getting that buzzing noise from their sets? I just noticed that mine would emit a very annoying noise whenever I plugged my laptop's AC adapter to the same line conditioner. The laptop was somehow still interfering with the TV when I plugged the adapter to a different power socket. I hadn't experienced this problem before and fortunately it disappeared as soon as I disconnected the laptop from the wall. Perhaps this is the same kind of buzzing some users have reported here, so it might be wise to unplug everything you have nearby your set (including other rooms) in order to isolate the source of this problem.
post #994 of 1018 Old 04-09-2009, 09:15 AM

Hey anyone else having issues with the backlight? I've noticed mine is a little uneven. It isn't terrible, but its noticable on white screens. Heres a pic:

Should I be concerned?
post #995 of 1018 Old 04-09-2009, 06:25 PM

what is the difference between the motion picture pro 3 120hz and the motion focus? is my understanding correct that motion focus is mainly lighting to help with high speed action? is that not what the 37lz800 had? cuz if i remember correctly the 37lz800 had only motion focus and the 60hz. i remember there being a dispute that panny listed the motion picture pro but that it was not found in the menus. my main question for asking the difference is this...i want to get the 37 viera S1 if it is the same as the 60 hz lz800 because i will be using the HDTV mainly for gaming and viewing sports and movies and blu ray discs. i will not be using it for a PC monitor. so i am wondering if the s1 series is essentially the same as the 37lz800(the one without 120hz) then it is probably worth saving about 200 bucks because i do not own HD cable. most of my viewing will be SD except for gaming and blu ray and OTA HD football games and whatnot. advice?
post #996 of 1018 Old 04-10-2009, 05:59 AM

dmb2686

Mine is I little uneven to in the upper right hand corner. I will try to post pics this weekend. My thought though is if I return the TV it could be worse, like having a dead pixel. I would like to hear what other have to say about your pic. Does anyone know of a good way to test LCD uniformity that does not require special equipment.
post #997 of 1018 Old 04-13-2009, 08:01 PM

For those who have an htpc hooked up to this, can you comment on how text looks on it.

I was thinking about getting the Samsung LN37B650, but honestly I'm not sold on the whole 120hz/TOC thing. Input lag and viewing angles are a bigger items to me. There's just not a whole lot of options for the guy that wants a glossy 37"

It looks like 6th Ave. has this set for under 1k shipped. That's reasonable isn't it? Can I trust them?
post #998 of 1018 Old 04-16-2009, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Lots of comments in the thread on PC text, Ive had mine for months now and use it as a PC monitor. 95% of the time the text is perfect, but certain foreground background combos are an issue 5% of the time.

Its by far the best PC monitor IMO available, 32" is the perfect size for 1080P desktops.

The new models should be out soon if they solve the text issue grab one of those, else you can decide. I'd buy mine again and again.

Test Your Display,
Tips for Large Monitor Use
: 720p, 1080p Test Patterns, Tips Just Click Here
post #999 of 1018 Old 04-16-2009, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Found a review of the new S series, that states some text colors remain an issue on the new sets, it does not mention the G series.

http://www.productwiki.com/panasonic...s1-lcd-series/

Test Your Display,
Tips for Large Monitor Use
: 720p, 1080p Test Patterns, Tips Just Click Here
post #1000 of 1018 Old 04-16-2009, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the response. I recently went and read all posts here and looks like most people that checked for this, had that specific scenario text issue except one individual. I assume the issue is exactly the same on the 37" model. At least it's not always an issue.

Anyway, nothing is perfect. I'm still on the fence about the S1 because of the matte screen. I spent many months trying out LCD computer monitor's before settling on a glossy NEC 20wmgx2, and I also currently have a Panasonic CRT HDTV, so I'm obviously leaning towards the 37LZ800 for my next TV. It's too bad every place I went to like Sears and HHGreg didn't have an S1 that I could check out. I asked them to see if they had that part number in their system and neither of them did.

EDIT: also crutchfield now shows the 37LZ800 as discontinued and even 6ave told me verbally it was discontinued. I actually called Panasonic about this and they said they don't show it as discontinued in their system. I'll either have to bite the bullet or wait a while.
post #1001 of 1018 Old 04-18-2009, 07:36 PM

http://www.displayblog.com/2009/04/16/samsung-oled-pentile-matrix-why-is-the-red-sub-pixel-so-big/

That blog post describes a technique that increases viewing angle by decreasing the resolution of red and blue. I think we may be seeing something similar here that causes the text problem given how these sets have ungodly viewing angles. Looking at that picture in page 17 I don't think the subpixel arrangement itself is unconventional, so maybe it's the video processor intentionally blurring red and blue?
post #1002 of 1018 Old 04-18-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaynQuist View Post

http://www.displayblog.com/2009/04/16/samsung-oled-pentile-matrix-why-is-the-red-sub-pixel-so-big/

That blog post describes a technique that increases viewing angle by decreasing the resolution of red and blue. I think we may be seeing something similar here that causes the text problem given how these sets have ungodly viewing angles. Looking at that picture in page 17 I don't think the subpixel arrangement itself is unconventional, so maybe it's the video processor intentionally blurring red and blue?

While I haven't taken a macro picture to prove this yet, I believe the physical subpixel arrangement of Panasonic's panels is normal, i.e. each color has the same width. My theory is that due to memory bandwidth limitations, the video processor is forced to do some kind of chroma subsampling during the internal conversion of the HDMI signal to YUV, in other words, the data is undergoing lossy compression and blurry colored text is just one the resulting artifacts.

The chroma subsampling technique, which is relative old dating back to the beginnings of TV analog broadcast, is based on the fact that we are less sensitive to variations in color than in brightness. That blog entry describes an application to the hardware itself with the purpose of extending the OLED pixel lifetime by decreasing current density (didn't see any claim about viewing angle improvement, though).

If you have the means, take a close up picture of a white background to verify the size of each subpixel, or you could try staring closely to the screen provided you have near-sighted vision .
post #1003 of 1018 Old 04-20-2009, 03:02 AM
KVW

Hi fellow LZ800 owners. Some of you may or may not know, ever since I gave my lz800 away to my GF (long story), I've been in search of an alternative display that fits my needs as a PC Monitor as the LZ800 did. However this time I wanted one that doesn't have the flaws of the LZ800 but has the low input lag that I had grown used too. If you look at some of the earlier posts in this very thread, you'll see last oct/nov I was very much part of the blurry text, over red saturation discussion and comparing the input lag of the lz800 vs samsungs, etc. However the conclusion was there was no fix for either (even via service menu). =/

It's been months now since I've set off on that endeavor and I've finally found my LZ800 replacement:

The LG 37LH30

Just thought I'd follow up and let ya'll know.

Your LCD lags. Learn about input lag and be disenchanted by your expensive LCD set.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag
post #1004 of 1018 Old 05-08-2009, 03:41 AM

How do i see the current hz for these displays? I'm running my xbox 360 through it and want to see if it's 50hz or 60hz but the info button doesn't have that info when i press the info button like my other lcd.
post #1005 of 1018 Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 AM

The LZ800's run at 60Hz.

Samsung 43D490 3D Plasma owner
post #1006 of 1018 Old 05-30-2009, 10:31 AM

Something Strange happened on my panny 32lz800, yesterday I turned it off . And when I came back and wanted to turn on the unit. The red light started flashing.. continously nothing about 7 blinks or 10 blinks or whatever.
I was really nervous, till I unplugged the side HDMI cabled I got plugged , then I started searching all over the net and came across a thread don't remember where exactly, that said something similar about a panny plasma not LCD the guy switched the hdmi cable to the back of the unit, and miraculously came back to life. He said that there was something wrong with HDMI resetting the circuit or something lke that. So I did and my panny worked again, this is weird.
Point is should I worry about what happened , I got the unit for about a year.
Just wanted to hear from you guys.
post #1007 of 1018 Old 05-30-2009, 12:14 PM

It could be the HDMI cable going out. Did you try hooking it back to that same HDMI port and seeing if the TV would start?

post #1008 of 1018 Old 05-30-2009, 12:18 PM

well actually it was the hdmi cable coming from the xbox360 , since yesterday I unplugged it and left it like this. But weird thing is I have been using my console for a long time with this hdmi side port connected and didn't have any situation like this one. I don't think it's the red light of death or something like that.. do you know if any other pannys had this problem? or anyone going through this?
post #1009 of 1018 Old 05-30-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssence View Post

well actually it was the hdmi cable coming from the xbox360 , since yesterday I unplugged it and left it like this. But weird thing is I have been using my console for a long time with this hdmi side port connected and didn't have any situation like this one. I don't think it's the red light of death or something like that.. do you know if any other pannys had this problem? or anyone going through this?

If your asking if its the RROD for the 360 it would be on the console. I haven't heard anything like this before about this TV. Have you tried plugging the HDMI cable back into the port you had it in when your TVs red light what flashing? If not do it and see what happens.

post #1010 of 1018 Old 05-30-2009, 12:44 PM

Yep I did and now the unit it's working fine, I meant some ppl referred to the red light blinking on the panny as the red light of death similar to the xbox , but this was on pannys plasmas. Yes it was kind of strange what happened, now it's working fine I plugged again the hdmi cable no issues. But.. it happened once .. that made me worry .thanks
post #1011 of 1018 Old 05-30-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssence View Post

Yep I did and now the unit it's working fine, I meant some ppl referred to the red light blinking on the panny as the red light of death similar to the xbox , but this was on pannys plasmas. Yes it was kind of strange what happened, now it's working fine I plugged again the hdmi cable no issues. But.. it happened once .. that made me worry .thanks

You could contact Panasonic and ask them if they have heard of this and they might have a Firmware update. Other then that it may just be the HDMI cable.

post #1012 of 1018 Old 06-20-2009, 12:38 AM

using this as a monitor and nvidia's drivers have never gotten flat panel scaling (whereas it works with ati) on a hdtv or a dvi to hdmi adapter. apparently only works on dvi to dvi.

anyone know if this tv has some sort of scaler so non 1080p sources aren't stretched?
post #1013 of 1018 Old 06-21-2009, 10:04 AM

It seems like NVIDIA's poor drivers are to blame since ATI Catalyst drivers have no problem scaling through a HDMI or HDMI-DVI adapter input. This seems to be a problem on-and-off for the last 5 years.

If anyone else out there is using their LZ800 as a monitor and wants it to scale non 16:9 content with the black stripes on the sides properly follow the steps here: http://users.telenet.be/byeclan//FIX...TION%20FIX.pdf

It's really ridiculous to have to do this.

The EDID hex values needed are: 34,A9,3F,C1 for any other owners of the Panasonic Viera 32 LZ800. Hope this helps somebody.
post #1014 of 1018 Old 08-02-2009, 01:32 PM

Here some clearer input lag pic of the TC-32LZ800

1080P standard

1080P game mode

480i

Motion Focus comparison

Actually I did some pics in standard mode in 480i & it was 10ms slower. Actually game mode do reduce the input lag of the LZ800.

Anyway it's so damn low that no one care.

Side by side picture off angle vs the G15 plasma from Panasonic
post #1015 of 1018 Old 08-10-2009, 07:03 PM

Has anyone see this before?

post #1016 of 1018 Old 08-16-2009, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
When I hook the 32lz800 to a hdmi source, like my PS3 or PC, in darker scenes a lot of the details look like they were crushed and turn solid black. Red or blue text on a black background is also hard to read. I remember having similar black crush issues when I had hooked up an older LCD-TV to my PS3 via HDMI, and after fiddling with the picture options and the PS3 options, I finally just switched over to component because I could not fix the HDMI issue.

I had also tried installing windows 7 on my PC and with either the default windows drivers or the latest nvidia drivers, black backgrounds and black colors turned very milky. I eventually gave up and switched back to winXP, which had nice dark blacks but everything semi-black or grey was crushed like what is mentioned above.

I am under the impression that there is something about HDMI that crushes or screws up everything it touches or I happen to be unlucky with my hardware to have these issues.

Edit: I've played around with some more settings and it seems that in order to not get my blacks crushed, I have to up the brightness to 100, which makes plain black turn into milky black. It seems my windows 7 install had the right idea when it upped the brightness on its own. I'll have to see which one I prefer more, bright milky blacks with no crushed greys, or dark dark blacks with crushed greys. Crushed greys sounds terrible for detail but the milky black can drive me nuts.
post #1017 of 1018 Old 08-23-2009, 05:57 AM

Hi,

Is there a way to normalize sound level on LZD 800 ? From the audio settings menu or in secret mode ? Sound level seems higher when there are TV ads, and that's sometimes irritating.

Thank you.
post #1018 of 1018 Old 12-10-2009, 02:24 AM

I'm a happy owner, bought today, of this excellent 32" LCD. I have a small question and hope somebody could help me because I entered the service menu in the component input and accidentaly I changed one value.

ADJUST
CONTRAST 202 <- this is the one i changed
YMAX 154

Could somebody share with me the original value of contrast, going to the service menu in the component input? I just entered to change the R-Gain but suddenly in the ADJUST menu, the VOL - key was pushing alone and changued the value.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page