Official Samsung 71 exchange thread. Discuss your issues/exchange process - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 597 Old 10-12-2008, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertrophy View Post

well, if you're going through samsung, you could always try to refuse the replacement and try to get a full refund. That way you can just purchase the 850 on your own. Just make sure you let samsung know how unsatisfied you are--in a courteous manner. Of course, if you got a great deal on the 71f in the first place, then a refund will not cover the cost of a new 850.

Besides the non-swiveling base, imo, the 750 is a great replacement for the 71f.

+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 597 Old 10-13-2008, 10:15 AM

So, I have the BB tech (don't know if he'll be from Samsung or what) coming this Friday. I'm trying to put together plenty of cannon fodder to show him the problems I'm having.

Does anybody have any great examples of the TBE affect that I can show from a standard DVD and also from a Blu-ray? I don't think I have any video games that would work very well (I do have the Ninja Gaiden demo still). I'm thinking maybe something from like Transformers, Die Hard, Planet Earth would work well. I'm definitely going to try to show the effect from 2 different sources (8300HD Comcast Box and then PS3)

I was also going to point out that I still have some crappy flashlights on 3 of 4 corners...will the tech even care about that?
post #363 of 597 Old 10-13-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield17 View Post

So, I have the BB tech (don't know if he'll be from Samsung or what) coming this Friday. I'm trying to put together plenty of cannon fodder to show him the problems I'm having.

Does anybody have any great examples of the TBE affect that I can show from a standard DVD and also from a Blu-ray? I don't think I have any video games that would work very well (I do have the Ninja Gaiden demo still). I'm thinking maybe something from like Transformers, Die Hard, Planet Earth would work well. I'm definitely going to try to show the effect from 2 different sources (8300HD Comcast Box and then PS3)

I was also going to point out that I still have some crappy flashlights on 3 of 4 corners...will the tech even care about that?

See my Sig below.

I believe Gladiator has a scene in Chapter 12 as well, though it is not as prominent.

If you have AMP, HERE's a test for TBE.
post #364 of 597 Old 10-13-2008, 07:37 PM
VGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer_03 View Post

What ultimately happened regarding your tv replacement?

After more than a week of waiting and calling to have my priority increased, they claim they have placed an order for the next 46a650 to be sent out. Hopefully the tracking for it shows up tomorrow and I get it by Saturday. If not, it will come next week.
post #365 of 597 Old 10-14-2008, 09:32 AM
txc

Update - the service tech came out today and replaced my 1013.1 main board with another 1013.1 main board....with my HD cable box connected with HDMI cable I saw no difference, and the PQ is still severely degraded from what it was with FW 1005.

The tech conceded for the most part, but then went to the truck and brought in a demo-type unit with preloaded HD 1080P content. It looked good but not up to par with what I was used to, and I think an unfair comparison based on my viewing habits.

I asked if he could just set it back to FW 1005, He said there is no way to revert back to an earlier FW version. Even so, I paid 3k for a TV, I should be able to use all the features right?

I asked him to take into account that I had watched my fav channels on that TV for 7 months, and I have several HD programs stored on my cable box I have watched several times, and I'm not happy with the difference in the set's performance now. He said he'd respond to Samsung that anything more he could do would not fix it, and then it would be up to them to decide what to do. He guessed that they would make him come back and try a bunch of other things, I hope not. I had to take time off as it is.

how do I get in touch with tier 2 customer service??

Hoping for a replacement if they can't fix it. txc
post #366 of 597 Old 10-14-2008, 12:06 PM

Well Guys,

I now have a 52A750 mounted in my entertainment center. I must say that it is a huge improvement. Even my wife was astounded by how much better the picture is.

To answer some questions:

The techs came out three times before marking it unrepairable.

The replacement was for a brand new unit.

Phone number for Executive Customer Relations (Samsungs people who can authorize a replacement) 800-522-7341

The panel is an SQ01 and was manufactured 8-16-08

There is no Halo effect noticable.

And yes Virgina, I'm finally happy with my Samsung LCD.
post #367 of 597 Old 10-14-2008, 04:26 PM
txc

congrats Hayduke...how long did it take you beginning to end...i just started the process, and my warranty ends dec 8th, i don't know how they'll handle that. hope it doesn't take months.
post #368 of 597 Old 10-16-2008, 03:13 AM

Can you use the swivel stand from the 71F and replace it with the one from the A750? For those that received the A750 as replacement what are you guys using to swivel your TV now?
post #369 of 597 Old 10-16-2008, 12:12 PM

I have now gone to a lawyer to try and get my issue settled with samsung. Me and my brother both own the same tv model except for his being a 46inch and mine being a 50inch. His tv with amp being on High performs a whole lot better dealing with tbe then my tv with amp off. I don't know if other have it as bad as mine but the tbe effect only only affect football for me but also when a player is running and there is a closeup shot on him you can see a trailing affect of the person it self. Samsung told me it was the best the can do and my lawyer says this is not acceptable and has sent out a letter saying if they do not replace my tv we will move on to sueing them.
post #370 of 597 Old 10-17-2008, 08:50 AM

Update:

- Samsung agreed to replace my 4671F that undergone "LCD delamination" last week.

- Called today, they said they can offer me the 650 and that's all they're authorized to offer.

- Said it would take 7 to 10 business days to deliver.

Can I call back to argue and ask for a higher model? Is this something I can negotiate with them or not?

Ironically, I wanted to buy the 650 initially this year but the store did not have them in stock, they only had the 40-inch 650 at the time so I settled with the 4671F at a much lower cost.
post #371 of 597 Old 10-17-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer_03 View Post

Update:

- Samsung agreed to replace my 4671F that undergone "LCD delamination" last week.

- Called today, they said they can offer me the 650 and that's all they're authorized to offer.

- Said it would take 7 to 10 business days to deliver.

Can I call back to argue and ask for a higher model? Is this something I can negotiate with them or not?

Ironically, I wanted to buy the 650 initially this year but the store did not have them in stock, they only had the 40-inch 650 at the time so I settled with the 4671F at a much lower cost.

They have been replacing the 71s with 750's, but maybe their policy has changed. I would try for the 750 based on historical replacements...
post #372 of 597 Old 10-17-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txc View Post

Update - the service tech came out today and replaced my 1013.1 main board with another 1013.1 main board....with my HD cable box connected with HDMI cable I saw no difference, and the PQ is still severely degraded from what it was with FW 1005.

The tech conceded for the most part, but then went to the truck and brought in a demo-type unit with preloaded HD 1080P content. It looked good but not up to par with what I was used to, and I think an unfair comparison based on my viewing habits.

I asked if he could just set it back to FW 1005, He said there is no way to revert back to an earlier FW version. Even so, I paid 3k for a TV, I should be able to use all the features right?

I asked him to take into account that I had watched my fav channels on that TV for 7 months, and I have several HD programs stored on my cable box I have watched several times, and I'm not happy with the difference in the set's performance now. He said he'd respond to Samsung that anything more he could do would not fix it, and then it would be up to them to decide what to do. He guessed that they would make him come back and try a bunch of other things, I hope not. I had to take time off as it is.

how do I get in touch with tier 2 customer service??

Hoping for a replacement if they can't fix it. txc

You need to get the tech to mark it unrepairable. Until he or she does that you really won't get anywhere with Samsung.
post #373 of 597 Old 10-18-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishghate View Post

You need to get the tech to mark it unrepairable. Until he or she does that you really won't get anywhere with Samsung.

Ah, yes, that is the key. With my 5271 running 1013 firmware, I see stuttering from my TWC HD cable whether SD or HD source, from my Samsung BD-UP5000 player whether DVD or Blu-ray, etc. As the stuttering isn't always repeatable even when playing back the same scene, it took some time to capture the problem. But I was able to finally DVR a show that would duplicate the stutter pretty reliably.

Since then, I've had three service calls. When I show the techs the DVRed show, they go, "oh yeah, see that?" I've had the main board and FRC board replaced. Then even had the entire panel replaced (I tried to "guide" them that it wouldn't fix the problem, but you know those techs know more than we do). Then, even though the *exact same tech* saw the *exact same issue* after all the parts replacement, now he says the TV is working fine. He said things like, well, some things don't need AMP, and if you use it on something that doesn't need it, then it could cause problems, so I should turn AMP off.

Samsung ECR goes by what the service center says, so they just see "TV working, operating within specification" and say they cannot do anything. I've pointed out the repair progression as I've outlined above, but to no avail. I've escalated to ECR management & have no repsonse from them in over three weeks (I've called in numerous times for an update). I finally did get ECR to open another call with a different service company for a second opinion. We'll see how that goes.

Since my original call was placed back on 6/19 (yes, that's right), I was almost ready to drop it (I think that's what Samsung "escalation" means -- wait it out until the customer gives up). BUT, even my 4 year old son will tell me, "Dada, the TV is funny again". Don't mess with his TV!!

So back to the key as pointed out numerous times in other posts -- if the tech cannot do anything more to fix the TV, don't let them call it "working ok" or say "that just how those TV's operate" or "well, then, turn AMP off"! They must note it as unrepairable. Of course, if you end up with a tech who thinks they can fix everything & if they can't then it must mean it's working, well, then good luck.
post #374 of 597 Old 10-22-2008, 01:36 PM
txc

well, you were exactly right..unless the tech says unrepairable,,,no dice. on the 2nd visit, I asked the tech why it would be in his best interest to repair instead of authorize an exchange, and he told me it is based on how they are compensated...not what I want to hear. My warranty should not hinge on a repair tech getting a commission or not.
he mentioned if he could fix it, it would be faster than waiting for a replacement, but i told him I'd rather have a new set. my issue was that the FW was the same no matter what.
Lucky for me, he came to replace the FRC board (main board was already done) but he had received the wrong one, and decided that the set was most likely unrepairable even with the new board. He didn't want to have to reschedule me again because I had already taken 2 half days off work for these appts.
called samsung today and they verified that my exchange is in the approval process. just hope it keeps making progress here until I'm swapped.
post #375 of 597 Old 10-22-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberXII View Post

After jumping through the various hoops to get my LNT4671F replaced I have finally been approved for a LN46A750. I have to say though I was quite disappointed when "Jeniffer" (queen Samsung bitch) denied me of a 850 or 860 which I didn't quite understand...She claimed that the only TV's that they would replace the 71 series with was the 750's or a refurbished 71 (haha no thanks). I tried to explain to her that I deserved a TV that was equal or less to the MSRP of my 4671 ($3,200) but she explained it wasn't based on price. This was very very frustrating for me and was wondering if anyone else was able to get their 71 exchanged for an 850/860? I did eventually accept to take a 750 but after reading about the halo issue and the non-swivel stand I would have preffered a 850/860. But as a new 750 owner I do have a few questions...

1). Realistically how big of an issue is the "Halo Effect" when watching movies, playing games and etc. I have heard everything from "I had to return the TV because of it" to "I really like it, I think it looks cool!"

2). Is there a general calibration that seems to be unanimously awesome? I had my 71 tweaked to perfection (IMO) and was wondering if there was a standout set in the 750 calibration thread?

3). I'm a big gamer, how is the lag on this TV? I remember on the 71 playing Rock Band and being appalled by the amount of blur.

Thanks!

Woot! I received a call from Samsung today informing me that I would be receiving an 850 instead of a 750. I'm not quite sure what happened or what strings were pulled but I'm certainly not complaining.

I really feel like my HDTV problems may soon be coming to an end...Let's just hope I don't have any clouding or dead pixels on my new set. LN46A850 here I come
post #376 of 597 Old 10-23-2008, 01:04 PM

I just had the tech out yesterday, he replaced the board with the same firmware 1013.1. It is stuttering even worse now. I just called samsung again, and they told me that they will send the tech out again, but she said if he marks it unrepairable, they will just give me an exchange. Got my fingers crossed!!!!
post #377 of 597 Old 10-23-2008, 03:43 PM
txc

I followed up with Samsung Executive Customer Relations today and they said my exchange was approved! They are replacing my ln-t5271f with the 750. I asked if they could do the 850 because of the swivel base, but they said the only replacement they have for the ln-t 5271f is the 750. Bummer, but I'm happy to be nearing resolution of this whole issue...lesson learned...if it works, do not upgrade firmware!

ps i was in sears looking at the 750, and all the sets in there looked terrible! I'm sure it is the signal, but I hope this 750 looks better in my house than it does there!
post #378 of 597 Old 10-23-2008, 08:07 PM

I have fought and fought with Samsung. The tech has only came twice to my house for repair. First time to check the problems. Second time to replace the T con board as he called it. I hope the third time will be the charm. I will wait till Sunday and hit him with all the tbe from the games. I WILL GET A REPLACEMENT! I WILL NOT GIVE UP! I WILL NOT GIVE UP! I WILL NOT GIVE UP!
post #379 of 597 Old 10-24-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txc View Post

I followed up with Samsung Executive Customer Relations today and they said my exchange was approved! They are replacing my ln-t5271f with the 750. I asked if they could do the 850 because of the swivel base, but they said the only replacement they have for the ln-t 5271f is the 750. Bummer, but I'm happy to be nearing resolution of this whole issue...lesson learned...if it works, do not upgrade firmware!

ps i was in sears looking at the 750, and all the sets in there looked terrible! I'm sure it is the signal, but I hope this 750 looks better in my house than it does there!

Don't believe the picture you see in Sears. I got the 750 as a replacement and am totally happy with it.
post #380 of 597 Old 10-24-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yota View Post

I have fought and fought with Samsung. The tech has only came twice to my house for repair. First time to check the problems. Second time to replace the T con board as he called it. I hope the third time will be the charm. I will wait till Sunday and hit him with all the tbe from the games. I WILL GET A REPLACEMENT! I WILL NOT GIVE UP! I WILL NOT GIVE UP! I WILL NOT GIVE UP!

The little engine that could....
post #381 of 597 Old 10-24-2008, 03:24 PM
txc

Quote:
Originally Posted by yota View Post

You have to be persistent and firm without butting heads with the tech...the whole thing hinges on him saying the TV is not repairable.
post #382 of 597 Old 10-26-2008, 04:20 AM

hey can i also make a exchange on my 40" 71f or is it for 46" and up. also i got mine at circuit city, should i deal with them first or with Samsung. Thanks guys
post #383 of 597 Old 10-29-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaa183 View Post

hey can i also make a exchange on my 40" 71f or is it for 46" and up. also i got mine at circuit city, should i deal with them first or with Samsung. Thanks guys

If you are still within the return period, then deal with CC. If you are outside the return period, but still inside the warranty period, then you have to deal with Samsung.

Remember it is an uphill battle and that you are going to have to be firm, persistent and show cases of stutter.

Good luck...
post #384 of 597 Old 10-31-2008, 05:24 AM

Liked: 11
Pretty satisfied with the way things have gone so far.

The only problem I ran into was that there are no in-home repair centers in my area. But one call to ECR, and they immediately set me up with a in-home repair guy outside my area. The good thing with this is he's having to travel to come to my house and work on my TV, so he's more anxious to get this resolved than I am. He was suppose to come out for his first visit on yesterday, but instead, he just called and spoke with me about the problems and basically asked for the version # of my TV so that he could go ahead and order another board. He had never heard of the problems before, but he said I sounded really knowledgeable, and that he believed what I was saying and wasn't going to waste gas coming out here to see the problem. He said if this doesn't work he knows it's unrepairable and will go ahead and file that SAW report for me.

I could have my replacement sooner than I thought!!!
post #385 of 597 Old 10-31-2008, 10:34 AM

Got my 46A650 replacement a few days ago, the PQ is significantly better than the 4671F: Better blacks, more POP, handles fast motion incredibly well (4 ms response time) and AMP that actually works properly.

0 dead/stuck pixels (which is only 1 of 2 LCD products I own to accomplish that feat), no clouding, no backlight bleeding, and no flashlights (backlight 7). It's an "SS04" Panel.

Major flaw is the input lag, try playing Hot Shots Golf for instance and you'll see it. Most games are still playable though. Not too happy with Game Mode PQ unfortunately.

Overall, happy with the whole exchange process even though it took 7 weeks in total.
post #386 of 597 Old 10-31-2008, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
from what i understand, i think the 850 might be the new replacement for the xx71. my 71 has been approved for an 850 series tv
post #387 of 597 Old 11-02-2008, 09:56 PM

I talked to samsung on Thursday and they have authorized me for an exchange, they told me that they don't know which model but they will let me know this week sometime. Yeah!!!!!
post #388 of 597 Old 11-02-2008, 10:33 PM

Update.....

No word from the repair service that came out twice to try and fix the tv. I called early last week to check in with them. They were told by samsung to install the lasted firmware update.This is one of the first things I already did. The repair center told me the tech that came to my house is working on the problem and is working with samsung to try and fix the problem. I just wish they would tell them the tv is unrepairable so I can get an exchange and be done with this whole thing.
post #389 of 597 Old 11-14-2008, 09:07 AM

I just got an email telling me they are exchanging it for an 850. Maybe they are phasing out the 750. I'll update as soon as I receive the TV. Total time so far for this exchange has been about 3 weeks.
post #390 of 597 Old 11-18-2008, 11:54 AM

I have stutter and TBE, but the stutter is sporadic, and I can't seem to replicate it.. Suggestions?

XBL: Axis Radius ::::::::::: PSN: GMoore34
:::::Proud Sammy A850 Owner:::::
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page