AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by etimmy22 View Post

This lcd has no +1 (0% overscan) on 720p sources

what content exactly does this affect? Will it affect 720p ps3 games?

It effects anytime the tv is sent a 720p signal.

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I'm pretty much committed to getting a 40Z4100. The set seems to be everything that I want. Could one of the Z owners please comment on the set's PQ on SD broadcasts? We still watch some SD channels and tend to view them in native 4:3 rather than distort more with stretch but I'm interested in the PQ in both modes. I'm assuming that HD broadcasts, DVDs and Blu-ray DVDs look great. I have a choice of getting the set shipped from Sonystyle or Amazon. I live in the SF Bay area so I'm guessing that Sony would deliver earlier than Amazon and, unfortunately, it's list price city for both. Any thoughts on the two vendors would be appreciated.

With Amazon and Crutchfield you have a 30 day return period. I don't know about Sonystyle.
post #273 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by etimmy22 View Post

This lcd has no +1 (0% overscan) on 720p sources

what content exactly does this affect? Will it affect 720p ps3 games?

Yes it will, however it is not a problem on PS3 games. In fact, while I do use the +1 option for some 720p content, I do not use it on the PS3 input. On my XBR4, when the TV detects 720p content the screen is set to normal, but when I'm playing 1080p blu-rays it's set to "full pixel."

The reason for the difference is that the vast majority of HD games should already be made for 16x9 widescreen TVs. Therefore adding a +1 to the screen may only result in window-boxing (black bars around all four sides). Not all games are created equal...so the amount of window-boxing may vary, depending on the native resolution of the game. And in some cases there may be none at all. I haven't tried it much, but I know on Warhawk using the +1 option results in slight window-boxing, so I just got rid of it. It would be nice to have the option for a game that would take advantage of it, but it's not necessary IMO. It's more useful for cable/TV programming in 720p.

Movies and video content, on the other hand, can either be 1.77:1, 1.78:1, 1.85:1, 2.30:1, 2.35:1, etc etc etc Aspect Ratios. So the full pixel and +1 option is helpful to get the movie/show framed exactly the way the director intended it. If the player is capable of 1080i/p then you don't have to worry as "full pixel" has you covered.

Brandon

Brandon 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #274 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock View Post

With Amazon and Crutchfield you have a 30 day return period. I don't know about Sonystyle.

You have a 30 day return period also and they are doing bundles now if yuo buy the television.
post #275 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 AM

Would anyone NOT recommend the 46z over an xbr4? Primarily used for bluray/ps3 games.
post #276 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 11:29 AM

Just got my 46Z4100 with black bezel yesterday. Out of the box the picture is very good. I have not done any extensive testing but watching the Euro 2008, few HD movies from DirecTV (HR21-700) and Spider Man 3 Blu-Ray, I would say I am pretty satisfied with the picture. The MPEG NR and NR are set to low and I do not see any adverse effects - in any case the soccer players did not look like a soap opera, believe me

I got the PS3 and with the discount I also purchased the extended warranty. Essentially, the PS3 came to $50 - I think it was a good deal.

One disappointment - while it can display JPEGs from a UPNP server it cannot play video. Also, even though it is connected to the Internet it cannot check for new firmware nor shows the current version.

Another problem is that I cannot program the remote to control the DirecTV HR21-700 box but I believe that it is a DirecTV issue because I have the same problem with my Yamaha receiver's remote. Does anyone know what would be the code for that box?

I was considering the Samsung 650/750 (great picture, horrible design - for me the shiny screen and huge bezel were killers), Mitsubishi 244 (wonderful design, average picture) and Sony 46W4100 (good design, good picture), 46V4100 (no 120Hz), XBR4 (horrible bezel). I also looked at Sharp, liked the design but there was something wrong with the way they handled motion - I was seeing blur with all the setups. There is a nice Sony set at Costco, essentially W4100 with 120Hz and very good design but it is as expensive as the Z4100 and has the old Bravia engine.

Since I have the TV and so far like it very much let me know if you have any questions. Unfortunately, I do not have any other TV to compare it with.

Now, the sparkles. I do not have them. So far.... However, I made a similar posting in another thread about the same issue. EMI (Electro-magnetic impulses) do not travel only via the cables. Markoni used the fact that they travel through the air 100 years ago to give us the radio.

I would agree with the previous post that we are dealing with EMI. I have seen those sparkles on other (including CRT) TVs when there are large electrical equipment being turned on and off. There is an FCC requirement but do you think the concrete mixer at construction site across the street complies with it?! Sony may not get off the hook completely either - the shielding may not be on par with the other manufacturers or models. In any case, I firmly believe it is EMI. One way to confirm it is to try and establish a pattern when you make sure that all of your electrical equipment is turned off. Yes, the fridge can cause that too. Even if you have a surge protector or UPS they will not shield EMIs that travel through the air and the fridge has a pretty powerful motor. The switch arcs, if they are not properly handled, can cause massive EMI.
post #277 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozata View Post

Sony may not get off the hook completely either - the shielding may not be on par with the other manufacturers or models.

well however you see it, sony did do something wrong as I have never seen this issue in other "correctly" made lcd's. Hopefully someone can figure this out and get a fix, especially if sony wants my money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #278 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 11:48 AM

I saw the Z4100 in the flesh last night at Sonystyle in the Pentagon City Mall. To my amateur eye, the picture quality is very good. It has the second-generation video processing (same as the forthcoming XBR) and better color than the W4100. Nevertheless, I was hard-pressed to tell the difference between the Z and the W hanging next to it. On a frivolous note, the TV design looks great; the thin bezel makes the TV almost disappear into its surroundings.
post #279 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 View Post

well however you see it, sony did do something wrong as I have never seen this issue in other "correctly" made lcd's. Hopefully someone can figure this out and get a fix, especially if sony wants my money.

Why cause you saw some sparkles at a CC/BB demo that has component cables split 40x ways from the source, helluva test.

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #280 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 View Post

these are the videos for the W4100 sparkles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9avD7fUScSg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOSSVZH9Y7w

this dude needs to call sony, plain and simple.

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #281 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Although when I was in a SonyStyle store a couple weeks ago they told me that there is a 15% restocking fee. Admittedly the salesguy didn't seem too knowledgeable so maybe he was wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylock View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soap View Post

You have a 30 day return period also and they are doing bundles now if yuo buy the television.

post #282 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Apparently every single location that has a 32/37XBR6, V, W now has EMI problems according to you. Go figure.

It's nice to know you are not seeing sparkles on your Z, but I'm sorry you're dead wrong when it comes to the aforementioned TVs. THEY DO HAVE SPARKLES ALL THE TIME EVERYWHERE BAR NONE, PERIOD. You guys can go back and forth as to what you think it is, but they are there on every single set in those lines and there is no denying it. If saying every location that contains one of those sets has an EMI problem makes you sleep better at night, so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozata View Post

Now, the sparkles. I do not have them. So far.... However, I made a similar posting in another thread about the same issue. EMI (Electro-magnetic impulses) do not travel only via the cables. Markoni used the fact that they travel through the air 100 years ago to give us the radio.

I would agree with the previous post that we are dealing with EMI. I have seen those sparkles on other (including CRT) TVs when there are large electrical equipment being turned on and off. There is an FCC requirement but do you think the concrete mixer at construction site across the street complies with it?! Sony may not get off the hook completely either - the shielding may not be on par with the other manufacturers or models. In any case, I firmly believe it is EMI. One way to confirm it is to try and establish a pattern when you make sure that all of your electrical equipment is turned off. Yes, the fridge can cause that too. Even if you have a surge protector or UPS they will not shield EMIs that travel through the air and the fridge has a pretty powerful motor. The switch arcs, if they are not properly handled, can cause massive EMI.

post #283 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post

Apparently every single location that has a 32/37XBR6, V, W now has EMI problems according to you. Go figure.

It's nice to know you are not seeing sparkles on your Z, but I'm sorry you're dead wrong when it comes to the aforementioned TVs. THEY DO HAVE SPARKLES ALL THE TIME EVERYWHERE BAR NONE, PERIOD. You guys can go back and forth as to what you think it is, but they are there on every single set in those lines and there is no denying it. If saying every location that contains one of those sets has an EMI problem makes you sleep better at night, so be it.

Are the sparkles you saw the same from the w4100 videos posted earlier in this thread?

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #284 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 01:26 PM

The reason I am suspecting the source as the culprit is because I get an occational sparkle with my CRT with an SD DVR receiver from Dish Network. The sparkles are more prominant on ABC than any other channel. It could possibly be a side effect of video compression used to send the signal out to the public. Has the sparkle issue been seen while playing blu-ray?

The fact that it could be an EMI issue is a very valid argument and maybe SONY has some sheilding issues with these new models.
post #285 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Yes and they occur on every 32/37XBR6, V, or W model. You can confirm this at any big box store or just buy one and take it home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohns1997SS View Post

Are the sparkles you saw the same from the w4100 videos posted earlier in this thread?

post #286 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post

Yes and they occur on every 32/37XBR6, V, or W model. You can confirm this at any big box store or just buy one and take it home.

so why are you discussing it here this is a z4100 thread?

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #287 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthawg View Post

The reason I am suspecting the source as the culprit is because I get an occational sparkle with my CRT with an SD DVR receiver from Dish Network. The sparkles are more prominant on ABC than any other channel. It could possibly be a side effect of video compression used to send the signal out to the public. Has the sparkle issue been seen while playing blu-ray?

The fact that it could be an EMI issue is a very valid argument and maybe SONY has some sheilding issues with these new models.

The sparkles also show up on the PS3 hooked up through hdmi and sitting on the dashboard, so compression would be out in that case. It is an interesting problem that some people are experiencing.

Mosh~~
post #288 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 01:42 PM

Yes it is interesting. Hopefully someone experiencing this issue will be able to rule out if it's the display or not with a different TV connected to the same source.
post #289 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 01:46 PM

I agree that this is a good discussion to continue, perhaps in a tad less abrassive way though....

At BB today, I saw sparkles in the 40W4100 and 46W4100(I know it's not a Z). Seemed like they occured more often when more content was playing, which to me points to processing of some type. I understand that spliting the signal could also be the culprite, but if other brand/model LCDs, that were on that same signal, can handle it and '08 Sony's can't then I'd say it's a design issue/limitation. The ones I noticed were occuring in the same area of the screen.

That being said, the sparkles weren't enough to dissuade me from going back next week when the 46Z comes in with the intent to purchase one even if I see sparkles in that model too. The guy I was talking too there looked them up in the computer and said they had them in their local warehouse, but none were on their way to the store as of yet. Said if I ordered the 46Z today I would be able to pick it up by the 20th.
post #290 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think the video of the w4100 is EMI based it was too concentrated and stood out too much and wasn't anything like EMI based noise usually seen from poor cables.

Either way i thought we were talking about z series in here, if this issue isn't on the z series why is everyone talking about it here? just to make sure it doesn't show up on the z series?

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #291 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't think the video of the w4100 is EMI based it was too concentrated and stood out too much and wasn't anything like EMI based noise usually seen from poor cables.

Either way i thought we were talking about z series in here, if this issue isn't on the z series why is everyone talking about it here? just to make sure it doesn't show up on the z series?

it is on the Z people have reported it...its on every single model that sony has released...
post #292 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STILESP113 View Post

it is on the Z people have reported it...its on every single model that sony has released...

who reported it?

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #293 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 02:22 PM

Saw the magical sparkling pixies frequently while playing GTA4 on my 46 inch Z (hooked up through HDMI). Hooked up the wii (not HDMI), did not notice any sparkes at all.
post #294 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoS View Post

Saw the magical sparkling pixies frequently while playing GTA4 on my 46 inch Z (hooked up through HDMI). Hooked up the wii (not HDMI), did not notice any sparkes at all.

Could you hook up your PS3 through component and see if they still happen? Maybe bad HDMI controllers? interesting that analog seemed to be ok while digital is having problems for some.

Mosh~~
post #295 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:

We're talking about them here because, I'm looking to buy a Z or above, and when I was at the Sony Store in Atlanta the sparkles were quite apparent on a 46" Z they had. They had the same source feeding a 40" Z, 46 " Z, and xbr4. xbr4 showed none, very occasional on 40" and quite frequently on 46". I've posted this on this thread my observations, as I want to buy this TV, I'm want to see what other users are experiencing, Thankfully this will be a set from my bedroom and can wait to see if it's a few sets or the norm. I've spent too much time editing SDI/HD content and I personally am very sensitive to artifacts. So I'm not trying to add more to an issue out of it, but if Sony's have an issue with this, and since most of the processors are based on the BRAVIA Engine 2 ( V,W,Z series ) that are experiencing the sparkles ( not saying this is the issue, but IMO they look like there happening there ) I would like to get as much feedback as possible. I wish the xbr6,7,8 were out since they will have different processors so I could compare. Until then I'll lurk these threads hope to here as much as possible.
post #296 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Just went and tested this again by scrolling though the XMB on the PS3 and I do not see any sparkles, I waisted a good 10min checking and double checking to try and put some people at ease that NOT EVERYONE is experiencing this and that NOT EVERY Sony display exhibits this.
post #297 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

If I lived anywhere near Soap I'd want to see his set in person with my own eyes.

I'll eventually get back down South to the SonyStyle store to see a Z in person and make up my own mind. I'm sure it'll be an eye-opening experience.
post #298 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Mosh View Post

Could you hook up your PS3 through component and see if they still happen? Maybe bad HDMI controllers? interesting that analog seemed to be ok while digital is having problems for some.

Mosh~~

I wish I could but I don't have a component cable for the PS3, and when I try to use the red white and yellow cable (the technical name escapes me) it doesn't seem to work with this tv. I'm not really noticing the sparklies anymore when using the PS3 through HDMI, and I only saw them when I was looking for them, and also only when the picture was moving fast. Does anyone know a way to turn the info bar (the semi-transparent one that pops up when you switch channes) off? The TV itself is a work of art, and I plan to keep it whether or not I keep seeing the sparklies
post #299 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why cause you saw some sparkles at a CC/BB demo that has component cables split 40x ways from the source, helluva test.

i've seen lcd's split 10 ways and the 10th split lcd had no sparkles. Yet a sony connected primarily through hdmi straight from the source has sparkles, something is def wrong.

post #300 of 3520 Old 06-13-2008, 03:19 PM

I can confirm I see them frequently when looking at the PS3 menu screen. It's not a deal-breaker for me, I like the tv.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page