Official Sony KDL-XXZ4100 Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm curious why not many ppl have given a glowing review of this set yet. As someone else said, maybe everyone is too busy enjoying their TVs to post about them. But I know more and more have recieved their sets now.

Having spent the last month waiting for these things to show up in a local store(my only TV broke 2 weeks ago), and looking at the drawbacks to every other LCD/Plasma I can find locally, I've been anticipating this TV like crazy. I really like the picture of the KDL-46W4100, I just haven't bought it because I was hoping the color would be even better on the Z-series. Unlike others, I can't bring myself to order one online blindly without seeing it in person...

I'm living vicariously here ppl, so pls keep up the feedback for those of us on the edge of buying one of these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec2nr View Post

I'm curious why not many ppl have given a glowing review of this set yet. As someone else said, maybe everyone is too busy enjoying their TVs to post about them. But I know more and more have recieved their sets now.

Having spent the last month waiting for these things to show up in a local store(my only TV broke 2 weeks ago), and looking at the drawbacks to every other LCD/Plasma I can find locally, I've been anticipating this TV like crazy. I really like the picture of the KDL-46W4100, I just haven't bought it because I was hoping the color would be even better on the Z-series. Unlike others, I can't bring myself to order one online blindly without seeing it in person...

I'm living vicariously here ppl, so pls keep up the feedback for those of us on the edge of buying one of these.

Why don't you check your local SonyStyle store (if there is one) and ask the salesperson to adjust the picture as well as possible. Their feed may not be good, but at least you see it yourself.
post #363 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:

I don't think the Z is available in a B&M other than Sonystyle until June 26 or so. I saw it at Sonystyle and bought it another store that was offering $250 off and free installation. Keeping my fingers crossed . . .
post #364 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STILESP113 View Post

about the sparkle issue...what if you just disconnect everything from the TV while its off and turn it on so just the blank black screen is showing and see if it sparkles even then with nothing running to the TV accept the power cord...

I haven't tried that, but I will tell you that I have seen no sparkles at all while watching standard def analog cable through a coax cable. I have also seen no sparkles while using my Wii, even on old games I downloaded that have a constant black background. Maybe they are there and I'm not noticing them, but to my amateur eyes I only see them when viewing high-def stuff and now I barely see them unless I'm looking at my PS3 menu screen from about 10 inches away from the screen and even then barely notice it.
post #365 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 467
posts deleted

if you guys cannot stop the attacks and bickering, you will be asked to leave this thread

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #366 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 10:45 AM

I check today and PC Richard in Northern NJ has the z4100. It not on display yet. My local Sears did not have either the 40W4100 or the 40Z4100 on display.
post #367 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 11:18 AM

After a full weekend with 46Z4100 I would like to report that I am very fond of the TV. I read the other forums and after calibration the picture is definitely better. Apparently the 10 bit processing/screen and the new lamp make a difference - the colors are amazing. The black details are definitely not the same as CRT or plasma but I would say that they are one of the best in LCD. I would put them on par with Sammy 750 which was the main contender for my money.

Finally, I saw the sparkles in one of the dark scene transitions of Spider Man. However, it was difficult to get only a black picture without a signal because the TV complains if there is no input on the selected HDMI port. I had to get creative with my receiver but finally I was able to have the TV on with black screen. I sat in front of the TV for about 20 min and I saw a few sparkles, mainly in the upper part of the screen. It seemed that they moved from left to right but they appeared for such a short time that I could not tell for sure. The YouTube video is very representative of what I saw.

Had I not been looking (or staring) for them I would have not noticed them at all. In fact, if you have any light in the room and watch normal scenes I doubt that you would see them.

While I agree that a $3k set should not experience this problem (if it is due to the set - we still need to confirm that) I do not regret my purchase. The Sammy glossy screen is much bigger problem for me than the sparkles. I this the sparkles are overrated.

I will do some more research tonight and try to reproduce them at will, if possible.
post #368 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

damn another warning i better chill......i am sorry once again please lift my warning and i will no longer disobey this forum thank you
post #369 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STILESP113 View Post

damn another warning i better chill......i am sorry once again please lift my warning and i will no longer disobey this forum thank you

my post got lost in all the mess, but anyway stiles i would say take a look at the tv in store if you can. i saw it yesterday at a sony style store hooked up to a sony blu-ray at saw no sign of the sparkles only great PQ. i looked for the sparkles until my eyes hurt too on the 40"
post #370 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah the 40 inch wasn't that bad , but it is there. Theres like a 5% chance that if the screen is dark, you'll see a pop cluster of sparkle. The sparkle I saw at sony style was pretty bad, i would look at the upper right corner and when it came up i would automatically notice the other sparkles on the screen. Its like 5-10 sparkles scattered throughout the screen with the most consistent sparkle being on the upper right corner. I wouldn't pay msrp for a defect like this imo. Smear is much more understanding than sparkles, sparkles is adding defects to the picture which is just unexceptable imo. If this is gonna be the case this tv should cost no more than 1500
post #371 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

i've had the W4100 for about a week now and although I did see the sparkles for the first couple days, they were pretty rare--i saw only two sparkles after a whole day of doing rigorous testing and comparison with the 650-- and certainly don't detract from the viewing experience or PQ at all. however, after dialing in my picture settings and other stuff, I have not noticed any sparkles since. none. notta. nothing. zip. zilch. diddly squat. and I used the TV for more than 8 hours a day. over the weekend I watched a ton of movies, cable and played games 10 hours straight and didn't see a single sparkle. I even sat in front of the tv for 10 minutes in the PS3 XMB just to look for them and the only sparkles I saw were those from my eyes getting strained and tired and the stars I saw gettin dizzy trying to look for the sparkles. So, these so called "sparkles" aren't an issue on my TV. btw, I have noise reduction on high, maybe that eliminates them?
post #372 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

The biggest question I have after a nightmare of Samsung 650 sets, is how is the backlight uniformity?

mine is perfect.
post #373 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm going to agree with the previous post's last statement.

Sony HW50ES projector
Pioneer SC-1523-k
B&W CM5 (front)
B&W CMC2 S2 (center)
B&W 686 (surround)
SVS SB-2000
post #374 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Any idea how the 40Z4100 PQ compares to the 37XBR6? DW was blown away by the XBR and wants to move down in size to go up in PQ. We haven't seen a Z-series.

Thanks
post #375 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geister View Post

Hmmm. The response to the Z has been oddly subdued--usually when a set is spectacular (eg, XBR4, A650/A750) the enthusiasm in its forums is excessive.

yea it does seem as if no one isposting things like in the XBR4, 650/750 forums like wow this tv is simply amazing or i was blown away by the pictuer i see no enthusiasm here except for enthusiasm about the sparkle issue...this stink man ive been waiting so long for this tv just like others have and want to not pruchase a 650 cuz of my distrust in samsung now but Sony isnt making it any easier im about to purchase a non 120 hz tv like the xbr6 or something since that trumps everything in its class
post #376 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geister View Post

Hmmm. The response to the Z has been oddly subdued--usually when a set is spectacular (eg, XBR4, A650/A750) the enthusiasm in its forums is excessive.

Maybe because not a whole lot of people have owned it yet.

Go 24
post #377 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

I hope someone isn't basing there decision to purchase this tv on the amount of enthusiasm in this thread. I think we are so close to the release of the XBR6/7/8 that allot of people are just holding out. I really needed to purchase a tv, otherwise I would have waiting for the XBR6. That being said I could not be happier about this purchase. This tv is just amazing!!! I have no regrets at all and implore all of you to go check this set out in person if your considering it.
post #378 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 04:55 PM

I deleted my other post, the problem is with my cable and NOT the tv.
post #379 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soap View Post

I hope someone isn't basing there decision to purchase this tv on the amount of enthusiasm in this thread. I think we are so close to the release of the XBR6/7/8 that allot of people are just holding out. I really needed to purchase a tv, otherwise I would have waiting for the XBR6. That being said I could not be happier about this purchase. This tv is just amazing!!! I have no regrets at all and implore all of you to go check this set out in person if your considering it.

I second that completely.
post #380 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 05:04 PM

I bought the 46" Z4100 on Saturday, but due to circumstances beyond my control, I didn't have it set up until about 11:30 PM last night (Sunday). Since it's my first LCD, I need to go out and get some HDMI cables - everything I'm looking at right now is through Component Cables (Xbox 360/Wii), Coaxial Cable (SD Cable Box), and RGB Cables (Tivo). I'll hook up my PS3 tonight if I can get my hands on some HDMI cables at a reasonable price.

I have to say, I am very impressed with how the SD picture looks straight out of the box. My kids were watching Nickelodeon this morning, and it really looked amazing. I'm in the process of upgrading to the HD DVR, but I thought I would be disappointed by the picture in Standard Def.

In the brief 2-1/2 hours I spent with it last night, I'm very happy I chose this LCD and do not have any buyer's remorse at all. I haven't seen any "sparkles" yet...

I was also looking at the 46" XBR5 and the 52" V4100 the past few weeks before I purchased the Z4100. I can't wait to get some HDMI cables, hook up my PS3 and the HD DVD cable box, and watch some Blu-Ray and HD programming on it.

I've been thinking about it all day at work - I really don't want to be here today...
post #381 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 06:37 PM

Hello, I took home a 40Z and a PS3 from work today. I must say it looks pretty amazing after some minor adjustments. Even though we are running an HD signal through component in the store, it does this set no justice at all (i guess cus its split a million times, of course). I mean SD stuff isnt all that great, but show me an LCD set that is. As far as the sparkle, yeah its there if you stare at a black screen for a few minutes, and it lasts for like (.05 seconds)? No big deal for me, i'm very happy so far.

I just have 2 questions about the remote (which by the way is a hell of alot better then the 650/750 remote)

Can this remote somehow be programmed to control the blue ray funtions of the PS3 or am i stuck using the controller or buying the dedicated remote?

Also, can i somehow make the volume default to my yamaha reciever no matter what mode the remote is in?

Normally i never use the original remote for a TV, but this one seems to control everything i need on my cable box and reciever so maybe now i will
post #382 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC76 View Post

Hello, I took home a 40Z and a PS3 from work today. I must say it looks pretty amazing after some minor adjustments. Even though we are running an HD signal through component in the store, it does this set no justice at all (i guess cus its split a million times, of course). I mean SD stuff isnt all that great, but show me an LCD set that is. As far as the sparkle, yeah its there if you stare at a black screen for a few minutes, and it lasts for like (.05 seconds)? No big deal for me, i'm very happy so far.

I just have 2 questions about the remote (which by the way is a hell of alot better then the 650/750 remote)

Can this remote somehow be programmed to control the blue ray funtions of the PS3 or am i stuck using the controller or buying the dedicated remote?

Also, can i somehow make the volume default to my yamaha reciever no matter what mode the remote is in?

Normally i never use the original remote for a TV, but this one seems to control everything i need on my cable box and reciever so maybe now i will

I saw in the other thread that you took this home and was hoping you would post your initial impressions here. As for the remote I don't believe it can control the PS3, I tried a few days ago playing with it and couldn't get it to work. I sure would be sweet if it did. As for the volume I am not sure on this as I do not have a receiver and am using the tv speakers. What kind of cable box do you have that the remote is controlling?
post #383 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I saw in the other thread that you took this home and was hoping you would post your initial impressions here. As for the remote I don't believe it can control the PS3, I tried a few days ago playing with it and couldn't get it to work. I sure would be sweet if it did. As for the volume I am not sure on this as I do not have a receiver and am using the tv speakers. What kind of cable box do you have that the remote is controlling?

IR remotes will not work with the PS3. You either need to buy a ir dongle or the ps3 remote which works via bluetooth Hopefully companies will make a universal remote with bluetooth control built in.
post #384 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 07:46 PM

First post.
With reference to the "sparkles" discussion: IF they exist, and IF they are due to EMI artifacts, wouldn't it be likely that the use of a decent power conditioner could resolve the problem?
post #385 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

A couple of possibles:
1. There are still only a handful of Zs "out in the wild" (I'm waiting for my delivery)
2. The lucky ones who do have them sit in front of them for untold hours, staring and babbling in strange tongues about the picture quality
post #386 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 08:13 PM

Could someone explain to me exactly what wcg lcd backlighting is? I noticed the "z" series have them and the "w" series do not. What type of backlighting does the "w" series use? What type of improvement does the WCG backlight provide? Thanks in advance
post #387 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 09:26 PM

i saw at best buy today 4 lcd tv side by side. xbr4, v3000 and z4100 and w4100. ( all in component connection with hd video)

im dissapointed that xbr4 and v3000 have a better picture detail than w4100 and z4100. the difference exist. i see more detail with xbr4 and v3000. even if i tries to change the setting of w4100 and z4100. the pq of z4100 and w4100 seem the same. only v3000 and xbr4 have better pq. but black are better in w4100 and z4100

i didnt see much difference in color. maybe a slight better color on xbr4 and v3000. but not much. hard to see.

about detail, you have to be enough near to see the difference in detail.
motion seem better in w4100 and z4100 with High motion (or standard and auto 1 than xbr4) and less soap effect, really less

anyway i think i will buy w4100 because i wantr 52 and not a 46 . z dont offer 52 screen size
post #388 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEELSFINL4 View Post

Could someone explain to me exactly what wcg lcd backlighting is? I noticed the "z" series have them and the "w" series do not. What type of backlighting does the "w" series use? What type of improvement does the WCG backlight provide? Thanks in advance

For LCD tv's there are 3 different levels. The basic is CCFL backlight which is on the S,V,W then you have the WCG(Wider Color Gumut) CCFL which has I think has a 17% larger color gamut and is therefore capable of displaying more vivid and accurate colors. That is why the XBR4 and Z4100 both make the W's and below look kind of washed out at least in a store. To me the WCG is a must because I am a color fanatic and love more vivid lush colors. Its not like XV color and deep color and 10 bit, this is something that you actually see and really notice. The highest and most expensive backlight is LED which is Light Emitting Diode, Sony, Samsung and LG are all making LED tv's this year for even more accurate and pure colors although after seeing how nice the colors look on the Z with the WCG I don't see how much lusher the colors can get (the z in my opinion has even more awesome colors than the XBR4). The WCG has more punchy colors that many other tv's cannot reproduce.
post #389 of 3520 Old 06-16-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:

I have cablevision in my area and for non DVR they give out the Scientific Atlanta 4250HD. I think the first or second code in the book worked, it didnt control some stuff so i tried another code and more buttons worked.
post #390 of 3520 Old 06-17-2008, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

A couple of possibles:
1. There are still only a handful of Zs "out in the wild" (I'm waiting for my delivery)

Any guesses on when they'll become more readily available? 2 weeks? 6 weeks? More?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page