Dynex DX-LCD42HD-09 42 inch 1080p LCD thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1025 Old 05-31-2009, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me see if I can directly attach my Pronto configuration, since it's only 36KB...

In any case, I've also submitted it to RemoteCentral.com, so it should be showing up there within a couple of days.

Dynex DX-LCD42HD-09.zip 35.8818359375k . file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1025 Old 06-01-2009, 12:05 PM

RoboRay,

Wonderful! Wonderful! I bought these 2 of these TV's during Christmas and only now set them up. THANKS A MILLION FOR THE CODES! Great idea on the discrete HDMI. I will search and search for the discrete on/off and if I find it, I will post it here as well!

Thanks again,
Keith
post #903 of 1025 Old 06-01-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoologico View Post

If the remote is locking up, then a firmware update to the TV will not really help the remote. To test if it is the remote, you could try monitoring the remote's output via a video camera. Most cameras will detect the IR light and show you activity through a video of the remote IR. You cannot see this without the aid of a machine since humans can't see infrared. it might also be tough to grab a video of this if it happens intermittently. You'll have to be very quick.

It could be that the remote is working fine and the TV for some reason stops responding to the remote for those 30 seconds. This is a more likely scenario since remotes are pretty simple devices. Even most learning universal remotes are pretty simple devices. They only get slightly more complicated when you get into the fancy Logitech ones and most of those aren't THAT fancy.

To test if the TV is the one that stops responding, you should try controlling it through a universal remote. If the universal remote displays the same behavior, then the TV is likely the culprit, and a firmware update MAY help.

The picture below from Best Buy listing of the set shows there is an RS-232 port just below the RF COAX connection which could be used for a firmware upgrade. The likelihood of something like this to prompt the generation of a firmware upgrade is low at best.

Had the same problem to a degree. The remote wouldn't respond on certain channels until like after 5 or 6 button presses therefore thought it to be the remote. I had the extended warranty so Best Buy sent me a new remote but it didn't solve the problem however. Now have a Logitech harmony remote and no issues, instant channel changing so it has to be the included Dynex remote right?
post #904 of 1025 Old 06-07-2009, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had this set for 10 months and 16 days and I know this because the date on the TV 2000/10/16

Mine has been hooked up to my cable's QAM the clock was never set at all... and my cable system doesn't carry TVguide channel [or any analog channels for that matter]so I wonder if this has anything to do with it....

Has any one had better luck through the OTA/atsc digital channels, my reception is poor but I may be able to get the PBS stations where I hope data is carried to set the clock...

Just wished there was a manual way to set it... Does removing the TV from all power reset the clock? something fun to do on new Years eve, LOL
post #905 of 1025 Old 06-09-2009, 07:05 PM

I'm thinking buying this TV for my PC (watch blu-ray movie, play game like Crysis, prince of persia, the witcher..etc)

I read a few pages on this thread but found nobody who used this TV for computer use, I'm planning on plugging it with the DVI connection of my videocard (using DVI to HDMI converter), also will use my existing PC speaker so I don't really need the TV speaker.

Right now I can see it at 749$ on futureshop.ca and bestbuy.ca, seem a little expensive comparing the deals you guys got.. I may wait untill it drops

So is this TV good for PC use? (movie/gaming?)
Thanks in advance!
post #906 of 1025 Old 06-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hello all,

no signal from hdmi 1 & 2!!! tried unplugging both still no signal. any suggestions, calling best buy tomorrow. got the 4yrs warranty.

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #907 of 1025 Old 06-09-2009, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd2007 View Post

dont buy this tv

Why? Just a simple "don't" with nothing to base it on?

"Do buy this tv!"

See? I can do it too.
post #908 of 1025 Old 06-12-2009, 09:05 PM

So anyone use this for PC gaming?
Is 6.5ms to slow or hard for the eyes ??
main use will be for movies but would be cool if I can play my games on it also!
post #909 of 1025 Old 06-14-2009, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

hello all

tv displays "NO SIGNAL" via hdmi.
comcast tech will replace the bad box on monday.
sony bd s550 unit displays welcome, loading etc but no signal displayed on dynex unit.
any suggestions?

June
post #910 of 1025 Old 06-17-2009, 11:40 AM

Liked: 12
donald,

Call the geek squad. Mine works fine and has been for several months. This is truly the best LCD on the market. And is for 90% of the users.
post #911 of 1025 Old 06-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

RN,

Geek Squad just left and told me lighting (ground) burned out the hdmi inputs during a storm. Parts will be ordered and TV should be repaired in 3-4 weeks. but the component input are okay. i called sony to get sony bd-s550
from 1080p to 1080i. all i have to do is hold the stop button for 15-20 second to get the unit back to 480i. currently can't get a picture.

June
post #912 of 1025 Old 06-18-2009, 10:50 AM

donald,

Get yourself a digital converter box in the meantime...works fine on this machine especially for menus....dish has a box that is virtually free with a gov rebate card and the menus go out a week for programming. I like the Zeneth better though.
post #913 of 1025 Old 06-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

RN,

the cable & bluray both are working thur the component inputs. the hdmi will be repaired in 3-4 weeks. learned something new from sony. holding the stop button for 15-seconds is the reset.

June
post #914 of 1025 Old 06-18-2009, 11:18 PM

I've read all pages to date...
Just got the TV a few days ago. I love the picture, but the audio is driving me crazy...
It is hooked up from the cable box via HDMI.

SW Ver: SL42HV40-10A1018T
Panel Info: 420H1-L05
Software Build: 07/05/08

Is there anyway to enact an optical delay of about 200ms? Any word on a firmware?
post #915 of 1025 Old 07-19-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscully View Post

I've read all pages to date...
Just got the TV a few days ago. I love the picture, but the audio is driving me crazy...
It is hooked up from the cable box via HDMI.

SW Ver: SL42HV40-10A1018T
Panel Info: 420H1-L05
Software Build: 07/05/08

Is there anyway to enact an optical delay of about 200ms? Any word on a firmware?

I think the issue is the cable box and not the TV, at least that is what my tests suggest. So, I use HDMI for the video and route the audio from the cable box to my audio receiver/speakers. No delay that way. Audio delay via HDMI cables varies on same channel, so I think it is a cable box-to TV HDMI conversion issue that comes and goes. My neighbor with a high-end Samsung and same cable box also experiences audio delays.
post #916 of 1025 Old 07-20-2009, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi.
Does anyone know what the ADC setting in the service menu does?

I have a Nintendo Wii hooked up via the component jacks, but the brightness was insanely high. I hit the "Auto" under the ADC menu and it automagically fixed everything, making me a happy camper...but I don't really know what this did

Help!

P.S. Love the TV.
post #917 of 1025 Old 07-26-2009, 07:03 PM
X

This is a long way of getting to the last paragraph. If you're inpatient, just skip to it.

I had an interesting situation a couple days ago that may have led me to the resolution of the overscan problem with HDMI input. I never had that problem, but many other people have reported it. I ended up solving a temporary overscan problem I had with VGA.

A couple days ago my son told me the set wouldn't tune any channels. It kept saying it was on channel 65535. Being a computer person, I recognized that number as something going wacky, probably in memory somewhere. It didn't clear after unplugging the set, and when plugging it back in, it immediately turned on and went to channel 65535. I did get it to tune down to something like 182.5 (with no picture or sound), but it stayed stuck there. I couldn't get into the service menu, adjust volume, turn it off, or anything.

After trying unplugging and plugging a couple times, I was able to catch it just before it displayed the channel and locked up, and changed the input source. I was able to go back to TV and get a look at the channel list and each entry had "ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿ" as its name.

Eventually I was able to get into the regular menu to retune the channels, and they worked again, but each time I changed channels there was a residual "ÿÿÿÿÿÿ" that showed on the screen while the channel number displayed. So I figured I'd try to reset the TV.

I went into the service menu, into Other Settings, and did the EEPRom Init. Then, after retuning the channels, the "ÿÿÿÿÿÿ" was gone. So far so good, and I'm only recounting this in case this happens to anyone else.

Of course all my previous changes in the service menu were back to factory settings so I went in and made a few adjustments. I accidently changed a few while looking through all the settings and set them back to what they were (I thought). Later that day I was using my HTPC on the TV and VGA didn't look as good as it had anymore.

I recently built a new HTPC to use with the Dynex, and for some strange reason HDMI wouldn't display. Only VGA would. I use HDMI with a DVD player and have used it with other video cards on that HTPC and another one, but the built-in video chip on the new HTPC won't work with the Dynex's HDMI. But surprisingly, VGA is so good that I really can't tell the difference. I was amazed to find VGA being so good, as I generally can't stand VGA on a monitor larger than 17". But it really looks 1:1 pixel mapped just as HDMI does on the TV. Dots on "i"s are perfect, there's no blurring to adjacent pixels on anything.

But after resetting the EEPROM back to factory settings and probably messing up some setting as I was scrolling through all the other settings, the VGA ended up with overscan and was definitely not 1:1 pixel mapped anymore. Desktop characters were fuzzy and not very pleasant to try to read. So I initialized the EEPROM again and VGA went back to no overscan and perfect 1:1 pixel mapping.

I figured this long story might help people who were having trouble with their HDMI having overscan. Mine never did, but many other people reported problems with it. If you have that problem maybe try resetting the EEPROM and see what happens.
post #918 of 1025 Old 08-03-2009, 01:43 PM

hi, i do have the hdmi overscan issue and just tried resetting the EEprom and it did not help with the hdmi over scan issue. just letting everyone know. Does anyone know off hand if this could be a warranty issue?
my tv info.
Panel 420H1-L05
SW ver. SL42HV40-10A1007T
post #919 of 1025 Old 08-08-2009, 06:12 AM

After some time of usage (almost 10 months now!) I'm really starting to get sick of input lag with consoles and my PC.

If you play fighters and shooters, this 15ms of input lag can really kill you. For stuff like the Sims and general viewing, there's no problems at all.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has found a way to get rid of the input lag, or at least decrease it a little? I know that the first things to do in this case are to use native resolution (1920x1080, check!) and turning off the picture enhancement (XVS and Noise Reduction are all I could find) but the thing still lags. I haven't gone through the service menus since I really don't understand wtf is going on with those, so i didn't want to mess with it.

I know most TVs usually have a "GAME" mode where the special effects of the TV are turned off to increase the response time, but I can't find that on this set anywhere.

Has anyone any info? Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I'm using component. I hear that HDMI creates even more input lag.
post #920 of 1025 Old 08-08-2009, 07:28 PM

Hello. I'm new to posting on this site. Actually visited the site a couple of times after first purchasing my 42" last May and got helpful visual settings from the site. My problem is I unplugged my TV to mount it on my wall and when I turned it back on, my settings had went back to default. Now I don't know if that's what it's supposed to do, quite honestly, it could have been my son that did it accidently, either way they were back to default.

So I searched and found the site again and went through and tried some of the settings, some of those that I probably tried last year. My problem is where I currently have my settings, my dark colors are very pixelized. I don't know if that's the word, but there seems to be rings around objects when the screen is black. Is this what they call wash out?

Here is where I'm at now:

cool

Those are settings from member NewOne757. Earlier on the page, he had another set of settings which looked like this:

80 contrast
18 brightness
50 color
0 tint
50 sharpness
normal color tones

The 18 brightness really eliminated those rings/wash out but it was too dark. Any ideas?
post #921 of 1025 Old 08-12-2009, 03:10 PM

Is that with normal TV or HDTV stuff?

I know my crappy analog cable or w/e it's called (the normal TV) has some kind of cloning effect (the people look like they're in bubbles) and it was due to noise reduction I think. To fix the normal TV "rings" I just turned off noise reduction. If that's on HDTV or PC/Game Console then I wouldn't know what to say.

ALSO!!! TO ANYONE WHO IS HAVING AUDIO LAG:

I was messing around with my 360 and I got the audio back in perfect sync. It was because the 360 was set to Dolby audio. I had to go into the console settings and turn it back down to just Digital. Try it out and see if it works. For those who have audio lag on their normal TV viewing I wouldn't know what to say.
post #922 of 1025 Old 08-22-2009, 01:16 PM

hello i'm new at this and i bought the dynex 42'' 1080p HDTV and in my are i live i only receive about 13 channels with the antenna and without the converter box (since i think it doesnt needed)...............

i was reading and i found how to go to the (Service Menu) and i fixed the backlight thing..... accidentally i kind of messed up the colors and changed everything to the factory default (EEPROM init) and of course my tv channels disappeared................. but then without scanning i changed the channels and it said:

1.2 sencore
2.1 WGBH-SD
2.2 PBS-HD
2.10 WGBH-Dx
59.2 Sencore
69.99 TBT-DT
>>>>>>>>>>>>>the thing is that none of those channels actually work (just black screen)>>>>MAYBE one of you guys know why are these channels marked Automatically "without scanning" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

is there any way to get more FREE channels?? by doing something awesome like the SERVICE MENU thing????????????
post #923 of 1025 Old 08-22-2009, 01:30 PM

hello.

this happened a long time ago when i connected my Dynex tv to my laptop via VGA cable and the automatically settings are 1024 x 768 pixels>>>>>> I wasn't happy with that resolution and i found out that if you choose::

(windows vista with ""mobility center"" >>> windows key + X >>>>>>>>>>>>>> connect display >>>>>> it gives you 3 options:

1. duplicate desktop
2. extended desktop
3. show my desktop on external display only

>>> you choose option 3 and then go to "Display settings and you can choose even more "resolution" options.... in my laptop the Max. supported resolution is 1600 X 1200 WITH the OPTION 3 selected AND if you go to "advanced settings" then choose "Monitor"" tab you can actually change the refresh rate from 60 to 75Hz

i think its pretty awesome specially when watching movies in my Cyberlink powerDVD 9
post #924 of 1025 Old 08-24-2009, 10:09 AM

I find it interesting that I'm not having the problems you guys are having. Nor are a lot of other people. This TV is one of the best if not the best TV on the market. Beware of bashers folks.
post #925 of 1025 Old 08-26-2009, 01:25 PM

So, since I've had this dynex TV for about 8 months now (bought it boxing day at BB for $650) and having suffered through many rounds of troubleshooting the overscan issue, I've come to post some of my findings.

First, the person who mentions the EEProm reset to fix overscan might be onto something as the overscan issue is not absolute!

For example, when I've got my PC (for the rest of these 'cases' I'm using an Nvidia 8800GT video card) plugged in via VGA, no overscan, perfect 1-1 pixel mapping. When I've got my PC connected via component, perfect 1-1 pixel mapping. When I've got my PC connected via HDMI (DVI-HDMI adapter), there is the well known 3% overscan issue....BUT, while booting the PC, the pixel mapping is 100% 1-1!!!!! It is only when the desktop comes into the final stages that the overscan kicks in!!! After MUCH troubleshooting and trying with my drivers, I was never able to get 1-1 pixel mapping with my 8800gt over HDMI (except on booting the PC)...and at this point I gave up trying further and just dealt with the slight overscan....until;

I had a friend purchase a new/refurb pc into which I stuck an ATI x1300 video card. I only have one desktop LCD screen so I stole my DVI-HDMI secondary connection from my desktop and connected it to this new ATI based PC. Booted and saw the usual perfect pixel mapping during boot...and to my surprise, the windows xp desktop comes up, and to my surprise I can see the entire task bar along the bottom!!!! I can hardly believe my eyes and so I verify the resolution on the PC and it is 1920x1080, check the Dynex and it too shows 1920x1080!!! I throw up my 1080p overscan test pattern and sure enough the whole image is there, PERFECT 1-1 mapping!!!!

Now, this really got my thinking...so I take my xp based 8800gt, boot it into linux, connect it back to my tv via the DVI-HDMI and bingoooo, 1920x1080 full 1-1 pixel mapping!!!

I'm going to do some followup testing tonight with the linux running and see how this performs.

Anyone else have any thoughts or experiences on this? Thanks

Cheers!

So it seems like a signal issue between the PC and the TV.
post #926 of 1025 Old 08-30-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer1229 View Post

hello i'm new at this and i bought the dynex 42'' 1080p HDTV and in my are i live i only receive about 13 channels with the antenna and without the converter box (since i think it doesnt needed)...............

i was reading and i found how to go to the (Service Menu) and i fixed the backlight thing..... accidentally i kind of messed up the colors and changed everything to the factory default (EEPROM init) and of course my tv channels disappeared................. but then without scanning i changed the channels and it said:

1.2 sencore
2.1 WGBH-SD
2.2 PBS-HD
2.10 WGBH-Dx
59.2 Sencore
69.99 TBT-DT
>>>>>>>>>>>>>the thing is that none of those channels actually work (just black screen)>>>>MAYBE one of you guys know why are these channels marked Automatically "without scanning" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

is there any way to get more FREE channels?? by doing something awesome like the SERVICE MENU thing????????????

The channels that you listed are the starting point and check frequencies that the tv uses to start you scan on the various tuner QAM NTSC ATSC etc. The only way to get more free chabbels is to use an external out side antenna or free to air satellite receiver.
post #927 of 1025 Old 08-30-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredNow View Post

I find it interesting that I'm not having the problems you guys are having. Nor are a lot of other people. This TV is one of the best if not the best TV on the market. Beware of bashers folks.

Wow!!! Somethings never change. I stop reading the board for a while and I come back and the same person keeps saying the same phrases.

We are not bashing you. People like you make people who do have problems not want to come to a board like this and seek help. If you don't have anything to say that will help please keep your other comments to yourself. Many of us here don't want to hear that.
post #928 of 1025 Old 08-30-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junks808 View Post

Is that with normal TV or HDTV stuff?

I know my crappy analog cable or w/e it's called (the normal TV) has some kind of cloning effect (the people look like they're in bubbles) and it was due to noise reduction I think. To fix the normal TV "rings" I just turned off noise reduction. If that's on HDTV or PC/Game Console then I wouldn't know what to say.

ALSO!!! TO ANYONE WHO IS HAVING AUDIO LAG:

I was messing around with my 360 and I got the audio back in perfect sync. It was because the 360 was set to Dolby audio. I had to go into the console settings and turn it back down to just Digital. Try it out and see if it works. For those who have audio lag on their normal TV viewing I wouldn't know what to say.

You would do the same thing with your tv viewing as well.
post #929 of 1025 Old 09-25-2009, 12:16 PM

I have the DX-LCD42HD-09.

I like the TV and the price.

Here is the issue that I am having

When I use HDMI at 1080 the screen will go black and then come back sometimes it's worse than others, like every 4 minutes. When the screen comes back it shows the resolution setting as if it had just found the channel. The audio never quits though. At first this just happened on DVDs, so I changed my DVD player and that didn't fix the problem. Now this is happening on my FIOS cable box as well when using component cables though not as frequently.

I had Geek Squad out today and we couldn't duplicate the problem. The one time it did happen he had his back to the TV. He told me it could be a firmware issue (he said software but you get the point). He said that was something I could update myself, but I see no USB port.

He also advised me to turn the TV down to 720 to fix the problem (I am calling BS on that one). Although it rarely happens when I have the resolution set to 720.

Do you guys have any idea? I see the phrase "over-scan" but I am not sure what that means. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #930 of 1025 Old 09-29-2009, 08:46 AM

long,

This is the first time we've heard this problem. If the geek squad was out and said there may be a firmware problem then they should have updated it. There is a R232 plug in the back of the machine to do so. Call them back and tell them to come and update your machine. Let us know.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page