Toshiba 42HL196 - Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-22-2008, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I posted in the Toshiba thread with no response so here goes. I have now noticed two vertical bars on the left and right side of the tv - maybe 3-4 inches from the edge. Is this normal? Also, I have networked the LCD to the internet but "software upgrade" stays grey and I can't select it. Any thoughts would be great. I do have a Best Buy warranty till Oct 11/2010 so if you think I should leverage that please let me know the best strategy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-22-2008, 04:56 PM

hell no, it's not normal. take a look at my latest post in the 2006 regza owners thread that addresses this exact same problem. a software upgrade won't help you with this. you have a defective LCD panel.

i'm on my 2nd POS toshiba set that has also developed a problem with the LCD panel.

good luck getting toshiba to stand behind this; they simply won't admit there's a problem.

if it's still within the 30 day return period, i would get rid of it and buy a samsung, sony, or LG. those are the top 3 rated LCD sets. toshiba doesn't even rank.

you'll find my post here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...679698&page=59 (post # 1757)

it describes my problems with the toshiba sets.

again, if you can, get rid of it and buy a quality set. i think (and someone can correct me if i'm wrong) that toshiba, philips, and sharp all get their LCD panels from the same manufacturer in china, and they all have this banding/ghost bar problem.

good luck.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-22-2008, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

anything I can do with my best buy warranty? I can only see the bars with the brightness set to 100. Also any assistance on the firmware issue?
post #4 of 8 Old 06-22-2008, 05:06 PM

again, it's NOT a firmware issue. you have defective LCD panel. a firmware upgrade won't fix that.

you can certainly try the best buy warranty if you're past the 30 day return period.

if you can get the service guy to come to your house and tell you that you have a defective panel, toshiba will have to replace either the panel or the set. they'll probably opt replace the panel and there's no guarantee that they'll replace it with one that works.

if you can get in touch directly with toshiba after the service guy tells you you have a defective panel and get to a customer service supervisor, you might (MIGHT) get them to swap you out with a new set.

if they do this, absolutely definitely positively make sure you get them to reset your warranty to the day they make delivery, and then buy an extended warranty as well.

otherwise, you'll end like me...with a tv set i might as well use for an anchor on my boat.

oh, and this problem starts out with the brightness set @ 100 and then you'll see it no matter what your settings are.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-22-2008, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

ok many thanks for your help - So do I call a Toshiba service tech or the Best Buy? I have FW version - 2.2.55.0 Jun 20 2006- 15:16:50 FW:37. Any need to upgrade?
post #6 of 8 Old 06-22-2008, 05:12 PM

if you have the BB warranty, you have to start there.

upgrade won't help. i don't how else to say it.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-22-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

ok - I know the upgrade won't help the lines but does add anything else to the TV?
post #8 of 8 Old 06-23-2008, 05:23 AM

no, it doesn't add anything, at least anything that's noticeable. as with any software/firmware upgrade you run the risk that whatever device you're upgrading will no longer work the way you expect it to.

all else being equal, leave the firmware alone and focus on getting yourself away from the toshiba line of products.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays