Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhenax View Post

Whats the deal with 120hz anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

It may not be an easy explanation, but it's a full explanation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2822 Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 PM

After reading the wiki, I found this:
While common multisync CRT computer monitors have been capable of running at even multiples of 24 Hz since the early '90s, recent "120Hz" LCD displays have been produced for the purpose of having smoother, more fluid motion. As 120 is an even mutiple of 24, it is possible to present a 24frame/s sequence without Judder on a well-designed 120 Hz display. If the 120 Hz rate is produced by frame-doubling a 60frame/s 3:2 pulldown signal, the uneven motion could still be visible.

So I guess that explains something. It's not new technology from Vizio, but the first that Vizio is using it.

tonio was here
post #93 of 2822 Old 08-14-2008, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The 47" XVT are available at the north Austin (TX) Costco (price as noted in post #65). Didn't really get a chance to check it out but motion blur didn't look any better (or worse) than the VO47 sitting next to it showing UniversalHD feed of tennis at the Olympics.

Sorry, don't really have any other comments or opinions to share since I wasn't there to check out the TVs. Just wanted to let interested locals know where they can check it out.

post #94 of 2822 Old 08-14-2008, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhenax View Post

Whats the deal with 120hz anyway? How does this make a smoother looking picture? I thought the best thing to go by was the response time, whereas a response time of 8ms sucks, but 4ms rocks. On The Vizio website, the tech specs for all the tv's don't mention anything about Hz, but they do mention response times. Is this TV special because it has a response time of 5ms ? A Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p has a response time of 4ms. Why is this TV better ?

Vizio is actually 1 year behind other manufacturers like Sony, Sharp, Samsung and Toshiba in bringing out 120Hz TVs. The motion interpolation thing is something on top of 120Hz, which is merely an indication of the refresh rate (that is, how many times (120 for these TVs, but 60 for most others) a picture is flashed on the screen per second. The problem is most broadcast or source material is still 60Hz, so the TV has to "figure out" what picture to put up in between each bit of source material it is receiving. The simplest thing is just show the same picture twice (2:2 pulldown), but a fancier thing is to try and estimate what is happening between the two source pictures it is getting (it can get fancier still by looking at even more source pictures). That would be motion interpolation, and sometimes it's done well, other times not so much. Generally the best thing is to let the user decide whether or not to switch it off and just do the picture repetition thing. That way, if the motion interpolation isn't done well, people can do without it and hope 2:2 pulldown (or 5:5 pulldown for 24fps material from HD sources like Blu-ray) is implemented correctly on the TV. The big advantage is if it's done well, fast motion can look very smooth and lifelike.

As for response time, this is more to do with the LCD panel itself. Basically how quickly it can change the pixels from being on (lit) to off (dark) and back again. Obviously, the lower the number, the faster the panel can change the image, so it's not totally unrelated to the smoothness of the image. But just to note that 120Hz is 1/120 = 0.00833 seconds (or approximately 8ms) so a 5ms response time shows the pixels are easily keeping up with the refresh rate.

post #95 of 2822 Old 08-14-2008, 03:23 PM

This is how it's described in the manual for this TV. Parts seem like it was written in a different language then translated to English.

Smooth Motion Effect

The Smooth Motion option is a switch option which controls the intensity or levels of intensity of the video (Smooth and Precision) features incorporated in this TV model.
Press the ▼ button to highlight the Smooth Motion option.
Use the ◄ or ►button to select your choice. There are four choices; Off, Low, Middle or High, please select your preference.

Real Cinema Mode
The use of this option will allow you to select the two new features built-in in this model. These features are described as operational (features) functions designed to enhance the quality of the images or programming being viewed.
Press the ▼ button to highlight the Real Cinema Mode option.
Use the ◄ or ►button to select your choice. There are three choices; Off, Precision and Smooth.

Precision Feature
When selecting this feature you will obtain a sharper image of the scene you are watching; sometimes depending on the quality of the signal and quality of the recorded pictures (movies), the presence of the halo effect will not be noticeable.

Smooth Feature
This feature will allow increasing the quality of the picture as far as to motion on the scenes it refers, eliminating the effect of juddering during a fast action moving scene and sports programs. Depending on the quality of the signal being watched, the halo effect is noticeable.

Once the adjustments are completed press the EXIT button to exit the OSD
completely.
post #96 of 2822 Old 08-15-2008, 08:24 AM

RELLIM,
I feel for you. I have also pre ordered the 42 xvt Vizio from sears. I should have had it yesterday, but it was delayed as well. I had taken a couple days off work and everything. Big bummer.
Now I noticed that the sears web site says out of stock for all my local Sears stores, instead of the available in a few days message when I check availability. The 47's are still available.
Good thing we ordered early.
Looks like they will be very popular.
post #97 of 2822 Old 08-15-2008, 09:42 AM

I just checked with Costco in Plano, Tx. They don't have the new models in stock nor were they able to give me any information about them. Seems the only option here is Sears at the time being. I am not a Sam's member so I don't have any information about them there. If someone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas has any info concerning availability at Sam's I would appreciate it if they could share that.
post #98 of 2822 Old 08-15-2008, 10:23 AM

I don't know but they better speed up the trucks (or ships), some of the Sams around me are down to just the 22" Vizio. That has to be hurting Vizio sales.

Wonder what the hold-up is? Do these come from China? Maybe something to do with the Olympics?

If we don't see them this weekend at Sam's / Costco's, I would bet early next week.
post #99 of 2822 Old 08-15-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblownmonkey View Post

rellim,
i feel for you. I have also pre ordered the 42 xvt vizio from sears. I should have had it yesterday, but it was delayed as well. I had taken a couple days off work and everything. Big bummer.
Now i noticed that the sears web site says out of stock for all my local sears stores, instead of the available in a few days message when i check availability. The 47's are still available.
Good thing we ordered early.
Looks like they will be very popular.

they say patience is a virtue!! I say f**k that give me my new tv!! Ha! Did sears give you an alternate delivery date similar to mine??
Looks like were in the same boat!!
post #100 of 2822 Old 08-15-2008, 10:30 AM

I'm sure the Olympics has had a major part in the delays of the new XVT. I say they have been overwhelmed by orders. I mean a similar set of size and features runs around a thousand more from other companies..

My new pick up date is this tuesday. I'm picking it up from the warehouse which is a day earlier than it could be delivered.
post #101 of 2822 Old 08-15-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblownmonkey View Post

I'm sure the Olympics has had a major part in the delays of the new XVT. I say they have been overwhelmed by orders. I mean a similar set of size and features runs around a thousand more from other companies..

My new pick up date is this tuesday. I'm picking it up from the warehouse which is a day earlier than it could be delivered.

the olympic thing makes sense... did you order online or inside an actual sears??
post #102 of 2822 Old 08-15-2008, 02:09 PM

Looks like the 42" is at sams online now in Bloomington MN and all Twin Cities locations.
post #103 of 2822 Old 08-15-2008, 03:53 PM

I ordered in the stores web site. If you can order it online, you can order it in store, and vice versa. That's what the Sears guy told me.
I ordered it the 2nd day they where available, and I got a sweet deal.
It was set at 1,199, and I talked to the manager and he knocked off 100 bucks. so that put it at 1,099, then we bought it on a sears card which knocked off 10%, so It came down to 979ish, plus tax.
Pretty sweet deal.
post #104 of 2822 Old 08-15-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpotter View Post

Looks like the 42" is at sams online now in Bloomington MN and all Twin Cities locations.

They have the 42s in Toledo, OH as well.

Might take a drive up there this weekend to see how they look. Really want to see one of the 47s show up someplace though.
post #105 of 2822 Old 08-15-2008, 05:51 PM

Just thought of this.
For the guy who didn't like the side access port because you can sort of see the cables,
This should fix that
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

It would direct the cable behind the tv easily.
post #106 of 2822 Old 08-15-2008, 07:13 PM

They just hit the racks at Costco in Clackamas Oregon. (near portland) The picture was as good (to me ) as a Sony 120hz right next to it. Sony 1900.00 Vizio 1399.00 Was a no brainer for the price and the quality looked every bit as good. They were playing a loop of a movie. I like to look at the background scenes and check out the clarifty of the trees bushes etc.... Sometimes they looked washed out but this time the Sony and the SVT had some real great depth. I picked one the 47" and plugged it in to watch the olympics tonight.
post #107 of 2822 Old 08-15-2008, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the info!
I'm very very excited now.
How are the black levels?
If you get a chance, and in dept review would be much appreciated.
Tuesday will be my first chance to get ahold of mine.
post #108 of 2822 Old 08-15-2008, 08:42 PM

I really want to know how well these handle motion. I look forward to seeing some pics and some impressions when these sets start finding homes. Also, how were the viewing angles?
post #109 of 2822 Old 08-15-2008, 10:54 PM

well, I ordered one of the xvt series 42 and was to be at sears this past thursday and it didnt come.....was on back order....they said at least 2 weeks...even though it showed it was shipped.....so, I chose to just get the sony 40 instead....just plain got tired of waiting....if this is so good, they should have made sure they had enough to go around...the only actual review I could find were from Vizio......and the sony had all the same features......like I said...just got tired of waiting on them.....
post #110 of 2822 Old 08-16-2008, 04:35 AM

I am still patiently waiting on these to arrive. I keep checking our stock status log every day and no sign of them coming soon. To those Sam's who already them, kudos.

I pestered my team leader for weeks to get the Vizio VX42 dropped down in price, because I would not be able to get in the XVT's with having an older model in. So Home Office finally dropped the VX down to $628 lol. We're out of them now...awaiting sweet luscious XVT.

I'm really trying to decide if I want the 42XVT or the VO47, there's only $100 difference at Sam's Club.

Oh, if anyone here frequents the Mansfield, Ohio Sam's Club, please, stop in and say 'hi'! I'll be the geek circling electronics suffering from boredom. Name's Russ.

"God is at work when people act like Jesus"
post #111 of 2822 Old 08-16-2008, 10:55 AM

**marked for interest**
post #112 of 2822 Old 08-16-2008, 10:58 AM

Just saw one today at a Sam's Club.

Looked pretty good. didn't spend too much time staring at it, but after you look at the price it's hard not to be a little impressed.

I don't think anyone is going to confuse it for a top of the line sony or samsung obviously, but for the price point its a very good value
post #113 of 2822 Old 08-16-2008, 11:11 AM

i just saw the commercial last night, when it started i thought it was sony or sharp, but in fact it was Vizio.

I was planning on getting a sony set with 120hz today, but if my paycheck doesnt arrive today i will check out that 42" vizio and possibly get it. that price is hard to beat.
I already checked my local sears online and they have it in stock.

so we'll see what happens.
post #114 of 2822 Old 08-16-2008, 11:26 AM

I have set up in my living room now and have watched it for about 30 minutes. I can tell you that this is a really impressive unit! I owned the previous Visio 47 inch LCD for about two months before I took it back to Wal-Mart. I could not deal with the black levels. Test of the black levels on this model and they are very impressive! Recorded a short segment on the sci-fi Channel and the black colors of the uniforms were very true. Also the built in sound system is very impressive for television. If you were purchasing this TV for your grandmother and didn't want her to have to mess with a surroundsound system, what this TV has built in is definitely acceptable. I will watch it some more today and check back later with other impressions.I watched the Olympics and on the basketball games I could not detect any anomalies with motion.
post #115 of 2822 Old 08-16-2008, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the input!
I too own the last years Gallevia model, and the black levels are the only thing I didn't like about it.
I can't wait to see how well it looks in person.
Has anyone saw how it looks with gaming?
Does it have a built in upscaler?
post #116 of 2822 Old 08-16-2008, 03:40 PM

FYI - I just got home from Costco (Tucson). They had the 42"......the 47" was due in on the 18th or so. No word on the 50" Plasma, but I'm going to wait and to check them all out before the final decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_Man View Post

Also the built in sound system is very impressive for television. If you were purchasing this TV for your grandmother and didn't want her to have to mess with a surroundsound system, what this TV has built in is definitely acceptable.

This is great to hear....I want a so called bundled unit. I don't live in front of the TV and really want to keep the cost down as much as possible. My specific needs for a big screen are watching NHRA Drag racing, MX, NFL, animated movies and hooking up a MacBook Pro for internet surfing. I think the new Vizio line should be just fine for years to come

Life's short, don't sweat the small stuff!
post #117 of 2822 Old 08-16-2008, 06:50 PM

For those of you with existing 47" and not happy with black levels, do you have a setting called "Adaptive Luma"? I tried this setting on the 32" that I'm using while waiting for these new ones and that made a big difference in the picture quality. Turning that on, together with additional setting adjustments makes a big difference in the black levels.
post #118 of 2822 Old 08-16-2008, 07:08 PM

Yep. I have the black level extender and adaptive lumina on. Still not that dark. Especially when compared to the jet black frame on the vizio set.
Don't get me wrong, the set looks amazing. The black levels are dark enough to be black(not gray like some cheap sets) , the colors are on par with most more expensive sets, and the picture is bright a crystal clear, but after a while the black levels leave something to be desired for the slightly obsessive(myself).
It's not something that most people would mind, or even notice really. Buy black levels make a large impact when applied to overall picture quality.
post #119 of 2822 Old 08-16-2008, 07:36 PM

Side by side at Costco many people commented on how "washed out" or dim the Vizios (even the 120hz) compared to the sony's especially.

I told them at that price you won't have two to sit side by side to notice when you get them home. Hehe.

Still undecided here. Kinda debating pulling the trigger on a costco online deal for the 46" Toshiba model since it's close in price, but no 120hz.
post #120 of 2822 Old 08-16-2008, 09:30 PM

In sears when my set(vizio Gallevia)is beside a Samsung it does look very washed out. When I get it home it's totally different. However that is under all those bright lights, and they have an over the air broad cast coming in(480i signal).
I really think that they do things like that so you will buy the more expensive set.
Instead they put the 1080p signal the the set that costs 1000 more.
I've also heard rumors of associates messing with the video settings to make them look worse.
Sears associates get their commission cut in half when they sell a vizio, even if it's the 1,500 dollar ones...
pretty fishy.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page